Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1801
    mtbr member
    For a small guy, 5'8 140, should I run my Revelationa RCT3 at 130mm or 140? Originally planned to leave at 140, but reading back through this thread I read a few comments about shorter guys having steering/wandering issues with a longer fork.

I know I can adjust it later but the fork is getting installed tomorrow and I didnt want to take it back in and pay more to add/remove a spacer later on.

mtbr member
    Leave it at 140mm, get a short stem and toughen up on the climbs. My Honzo climbs like a goat with a Fox 34 140mm and a 50mm stem. It's all technique really.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +1 on 140mm. I'm also vertically challenged, but really hasn't been a disadvantage in anyway assuming all other fit-related components are dialed in. I'm running a 40mm stem, small frame. It does take some adjustment on climbing technique, but once you have that down pat, it's a great climber. In fact, I've only been able to clean this one long technical climb with many switchbacks once out of many, many tries on various bikes (80mm rigid, geared, XC, etc.) , and it was on the Honzo at 140mm, set up as SS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    On a small, also 5'9", running 750mm bars 50mm with a RCT3 set 140mm. I can't imagine running my bike any other way. It climbs better than my old xc frame did and on the downs the 140 opens my confidence. FWIW, I would just get the bike built then worry about experimenting after a few months.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. I think all this waiting is just driving me nuts. Trying to get a few rides in before the snow really hits here in CO. I think I should be good. I have a 55mm stem and I can easily move a few spacers up if I feel the front end is a smudge tall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    first time posting. have been riding my '13 XL Honzo for several months now and love it. only thing i have changed from the stock build is putting on a Zee RD and shifter. ordered a RS Pike rct3 140 with 51mm offset to replace the stock RS revelation as I found it slightly noodly for my bigness. will post pics as soon as i install the fork! thanks for all the suggestions and posts, really helped me decide to get this wonderful bike!

mtbr member
    Here it is. Just finished up...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0356.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0355.jpg

Super excited to ride it tomorrow. With some heavy diamondback flat pedals, it comes in at 28 lbs almost exactly. Not sure if I'm a fan of the blue stuff but makes it look a bit unique at least.

Thanks for all the help with parts and advice here.

mtbr member
    I have the '14 Honzo (love it) and am thinking about mixing up the color scheme from the army tank green/black to having some orange accents (handlebars, seatpost clamp, and chainring). I can't find a 30 tooth chainring that is orange to save my life. Anybody know of any that are out there? And thoughts on if the orange accents would work or look tacky?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ynot89 View Post
    if the orange accents would work or look tacky?
    Of course it would look tacky, that is the reason you are doing it, right?

I have a matt gold 2013 frame and have ordered all the parts I could find in anodized gold. My Honzo will be a puke worthy bling-bling machine. Now to learn to ride so well that it would compensate for the stupid looks of the bike.

mtbr member
    Impressions of the Honzo so far (3 rides in):

1. Man this thing is fun to ride
    2. 29 inch wheels really make things easier
    3. Gonna take some getting used to from FS. The steel helps with the trail chatter, but some rockier trails have made my arms and legs feel like Jello. Got tossed around a little bit. Just need to get stronger.
    4. Climbs like a goat. Very surprised how nimble and good at climbing it is.
    5. This bike will get me in shape. Not in great shape yet, and the 1x10 setup definitely had me feeling the climbs. 32T chainring and 11-36 cassette in back.
    6. This bike will make me a better rider

I am coming off a 2011 Fuel EX 8 26". I have nothing bad to say about that bike. I loved it and the suspension was truly amazing on that line. I recently finished my Honzo and sold my EX 8. I have only been on 3 rides, and still need to learn and adjust to my new bike.

So far, the two drawbacks have been the roughness on rocky trails without suspension, and a little less twisty cornerning ability. That said, I feel the Honzo can rail into corners at a faster speed, just not sharper turning. The Honzo climbs better (especially once I get into shape), and I can fly down things. I love the simplicity of it, and it really does feel like a tank. I found myself purposely picking worse lines just to see the Honzo crush what was in front of it.

Love it so far, need some time to adapt, but I am really really diggin it.
    Last edited by mvallejo; 11-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Anybody with a Rockshox Rev 140, what Pressure do you run it at? For my weight (140), it recommended 70-90 and I currently have it at 85. Feels good, only goes up about 3/4... I've never owned a RS fork and I didnt know if there was any important feedback I was missing.

Also, what is good for rebound. I tried googling but had a hard time sorting through the junk. The fork appeared to have about 13 clicks (though hard to tell as some seemed like lesser clicks, if that makes sense). I set mine all the way to slow, then went 7 clicks the opposite way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My negative was 10 more than positive for much better small bump compliance. I don't remember what I had for rebound though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Didn't want to start a whole new thread so I thought I'd post this here, hopefully that's cool.

How would a large 2013 honzo fit someone that's 5'8''? I've found a sweet deal on one locally and would like to snatch it up but I don't really have an opportunity to try it out as there's 5-6 inches of snow on the ground now. Would the frame be too big for me?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 6'/32" inseam and I ride an 18", my wife is 5'10"/31" inseam and also rides an 18". The 18" fits us well, I'd ride an 18" even if I had another inch or so of inseam, but anything bigger would be too big.

These bikes are long in the TT and are already sporting a short stem (55mm), I went down to a 45mm stem to improve quick handling, so anything longer would really stretch me out; I have long arms, normal torso.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8 and a ride a small and it fits really well. From everything I read, they run big, so I went for a small (I usually get a M or 17.5 for other bikes), but this fits really well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Foir fit, the stock Honzo set up is a good place to start, 55mm stem and wide bars (740?). I run a 45mm on my Taro, but kept the 55mm on the Honzo, 720mm Fleegle bars on both. The Honzo is a smoother rider downhill, perhaps a little less agile in the twisty stuff than the Taro, but also more stable and has less of a mind to head for trees.

My HOnzo is gold frame, red parts, all blend in together to fit very well with the orange lettering. I had to order a new rear hub this week, the Formula was trashed by the previous owner, broken pawls and such, apparently this is not uncommon. I found a set of Hope Evos in red for $250 new, so I'm a wheel rebuilding this weekend

I'm running a Narrow Wide RF chainring on both bikes, no chain drops to date, the chain on the Taro is shortened by one link, the chain in the Honzo is stock length. The Taro chain is within one link of being "as tight as it should get" so it makes a single speed buzz. The Honzo chain is long, probably too long, so I'l be busting a few links out this weekend.

In terms of climbing, I have found the Honzo to be a very agile uphill rider, better than the Taro, but to be fair I also have the Honzo drop outs in the furthest rearward position. I really can't complain about this bike, it fits, it rides well, and though it's a bit porky, it doesn't ride heavy. A long day in the saddle can be "jarring", but I think that has more to do with the terrain (rooty and rocky) than it does the bike.

The only downside in my mind is the low BB, I end up with a fair number of pedal strikes, but the low BB also handles better, so it's a trade off. It sure does handle nice for a 29er, makes me think that for all those people who are "bah humbug" on 29ers, that they need to take a short chainstay 29er for a spin! Big wheels rule

Nor­wegr
    I got my Pike in today along with a full set of black Hope trimmings, can't wait to get off work so I can start wrenching.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    I'm 5'8 and a ride a small and it fits really well. From everything I read, they run big, so I went for a small (I usually get a M or 17.5 for other bikes), but this fits really well.
    Damn, so that means a large will be too big.

There's probably no way of adjusting for that with a way short stem then? Other parts of the geometry will be out of whack I guess.

mtbr member
    it already has a short stem. a large will be way too big for you.

Eating Hot Pockets
    2013 Large with 140 Fox, P35/Hadley wheels, etc etc.
    it rules
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Why using a chainguide with a Narrowwide?

Eating Hot Pockets
    Valid question. I had that setup before the NW rings came in stock.
    Now I just keep it there for the bash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose View Post
    2013 Large with 140 Fox, P35/Hadley wheels, etc etc.
    it rules
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	851929
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	130 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	851931Click image for larger version. 

Views:	121 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	851932
    Name:  image.png
Views: 913
Size:  84.5 KB

mtbr member
    Nony Moose: veery nice.

Mvallejo: I am 5'9" and test rode a Medium and Small, both stock with the 120 forks. I am planning on putting a 140 on mine and there is no way I could do that on the Medium. As it was, I was nearly maxxed out on stand over on the Medium and it felt long (even with the short stem). With a 140, I wouldn't be able to clear the top tube standing over the bike.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Honzo is not very large.

I ride an XL Cannondale F29. With the 110mm stem the horizontal distance from handlebar center to seat post center is 74 cm.

I am just finishing the build on my 2013 XL Honzo. With a 50 mm stem the horizontal distance from handlebar center to seat post center is 69 cm, 5 cm shorter than the Cannondale.

I am going to change the Cannondale stem to 90 mm, and then the Honzo will still be 3 cm shorter than the Cannondale. The Cannondale is my "race" bike so the long and low riding position is just right.

Having made these measurements I am glad that I bought the XL Honzo, not the L size. I am 6'3".

My build stopped for now as I do not have the tools to force the stem star nut into the steering tube, and I need to buy an 8" postmount to postmount brake adapter for the front (I erroneously bought an IS to postmount adapter). I should get those two done tomorrow.

I decided to make the bike tacky so I have used as many gold anodized parts as I could find: handlebar, seatpost clamp, stem spacers, brake disc bolts.

As it is winter and snowing already and I will use the bike to commute through the winter, I put on Nokia Extreme 294 spiked tires. Very Honzo, I think.

I cannot wait to get this bike done and go on the first ride. Thank you all for the inspiration!

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast