Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
Results 4,201 to 4,245 of 4245
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!

Now to find a L 2017 frame.....
    My local shop has one and they posted it on Pinkbike.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2151558/

Centre City Bikes is Escondido CA 760-742-3742

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!

Now to find a L 2017 frame.....
    Check out bikeman.com or The Path in Tustin, CA they'll ship one last I knew.

Or that one in the above comment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Check out bikeman.com or The Path in Tustin, CA they'll ship one last I knew.

Or that one in the above comment
    I'll check those out. Supply and demand is working against me. I was hoping to keep my $500 budget for a frame. Doesn't look like I"ll be able to right now as these are hard to find.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Finally Done

I can't wait to start logging some time on this Honzo! Now.. get to have fun learning to stay upright again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bike-done.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Neilether,
    This is where I bought my '16
    2016 Kona Honzo ST Frame | Centre City Cycles
    These guys had one last time I was in
    https://flagbikerev.com/?gclid=CPugg...FQgpaQodtcEJ5w

mtbr member
    May 2017

Honz Solo

Couple of pics of the "done for the moment" build.

Tires turned up yesterday, went for a 2.5" DHF and a 2.4 DHR ( after days of contemplation), was disappointed to find the both measure just under 2.3"!!! Smaller than my 2.3" Morsa's were, here's hoping they grow overnight!

2016 Large ST
    Was a complete build but upgraded to XT drive train, rotors etc..
    Shimano/pro dropper
    Absolute black 32t oval ring
    shorter 45mm stem, might go to a 35 as its still kinda long for me.

Goes well, super happy with it despite this being the 4th pair of tires in a year ( trying to find some that work in my slippery New Zealand conditions

Sorry for average photos ( couldn't work out why they rotated)

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1370.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1371.jpg

mtbr member
    HonzSolo, if it helps my Minion 2.5 is 64mm wide but that is at the knobs. There is news of a 2.6 floating around the Internet.

mtbr member
    After 4 years, only the frame and top cap remain original on this one!

130mm Yari
    Hope tech enduro with floating brake discs
    SLX brakes
    Zee shifter and derailleur
    Contec cockpit
    Truvativ Ruktion cranks
    Reverb 125mm

hanging on the wall by a cycloc hero system
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb14819041.jpg  

Robtre

Update

I made a mistake buying 175mm cranks on the 27.5+ set up, whereas many pedal strikes. I swapped out the cranks to 170's and its way better. Also finally got my Fox transfer in, and this bike rips downhill!!! My fitness is way down, so pedaling the mule around is tough for now, but getting better. Love the bike thus far!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thoughts on a 170 crank on 29er Honzo ST on a L frame? I am about 6' tall but have read about the low bb height. I have a 175 on my road bike. Is it a problematic adjustment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post
    Thoughts on a 170 crank on 29er Honzo ST on a L frame? I am about 6' tall but have read about the low bb height. I have a 175 on my road bike. Is it a problematic adjustment?
    have 16 honzo AL size large with 170 crank. The trails we ride are all tech/rocks and bike has a sub 12" BB so it strikes regardless of crank length. Dont worry too much about it, go with the 170 and work on timing.

Honzo is my go to rig for the big dumb grin effect
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post
    Just go 175 and throw on some 2.6in nobby nics. Problem solved!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    This isn't an answer to your exact question, but unless you have a very long stem I'd be careful with a 150mm fork.

When my Pike is in 150mm mode, seated climbing is almost impossible due to front end lift.
    It may be your climbing technique/position that is causing that issue? As I've been running a 150mm F34 for the last couple of seasons and I've no issues with the front end wandering climbing short and sustained steeps. I still have the stock 60mm stem as well.

The saddle has a rounded nose on it so you can move forward and perch on it, right.

Norđwegr
    Weight distribution is key, where some people will be able to pull off a 150 others might not depending on how the frame fits and where the center of your mass ends up.

It finally stopped snowing 2 weeks ago, I've only been on one ride so far. My knees are acting up :/ I'd blame getting old[er], but I'm not willing to admit that just yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone here with a 2015 steel Honzo in size M? Would yoy mind posting you height? I'm about to buy one but being 6ft I'm not sure if it will be too small, reach is equivalent to other brands size L, so that even adds more doubts.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm 6' on a 2017 large and it fits great. The honzos are long bikes by design, I'd think a medium would be small for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Weight distribution is key, where some people will be able to pull off a 150 others might not depending on how the frame fits and where the center of your mass ends up.

It finally stopped snowing 2 weeks ago, I've only been on one ride so far. My knees are acting up :/ I'd blame getting old[er], but I'm not willing to admit that just yet.
    what trails are you guys riding that require a 150mm fork on a hardtail? Not judging but im doing 3ft + drops to flat on my 120mm pike
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Norđwegr
    Mostly just a case of having the fork sign off for checks the rest of me can't handle :P

That being said I recently dropped down from 140 to 130 and will try out 120 if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    what trails are you guys riding that require a 150mm fork on a hardtail? Not judging but im doing 3ft + drops to flat on my 120mm pike
    Mostly just a case of having the fork sign off for checks the rest of me can't handle :P

That being said I recently dropped down from 140 to 130 and will try out 120 if I like it.
    This.

Mine is in 120mm mode for nearly everything locally, but there are some extended downhill super rooty & rocky trails in the rockies near me that a 150mm fork helps tame. I also like the extra 1.5deg of slackening it provides.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spaniardclimber View Post
    Anyone here with a 2015 steel Honzo in size M? Would yoy mind posting you height? I'm about to buy one but being 6ft I'm not sure if it will be too small, reach is equivalent to other brands size L, so that even adds more doubts.
    Thanks
    I quote myself: Have bought a 2016 Honzo AL size L today, damn, seatpost is quite short, even at it's insertion limit I need 2cm more, it's the first time I've had this issue with a bike!

Norđwegr
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed.jpg

I made a big booboo when I bought a new stem, I forgot to measure the remaining steerertube because I recently cut it.. But look at that! It couldn't have been any better, perfect fit

Quote Originally Posted by spaniardclimber View Post
    I quote myself: Have bought a 2016 Honzo AL size L today, damn, seatpost is quite short, even at it's insertion limit I need 2cm more, it's the first time I've had this issue with a bike!
    You may find the opposite problem if you grab a long-travel dropper post!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1142416

I made a big booboo when I bought a new stem, I forgot to measure the remaining steerertube because I recently cut it.. But look at that! It couldn't have been any better, perfect fit
    Nice! That an atlas 35/35? If so, I have the same one
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    My question is why would you do dorps to falt (drops to flat)?

For me the stock 120mm Rev wasn't cutting it. I had to run it so stiff not to bottom it harshly. When I moved it to 140mm it was a world of difference.
    Now I'm on an F34 at 150mm and it's better again.

I'm 6'6" (198cm) and 240lbs (108kg) and ride aggressively in and around Whistler, BC.

I have an F36 at 160mm on my Banshee Prime and I'm looking forward to trying it on my Honzo this Fall.
    I like the bike slack and have been thinking about getting an Angleset headset.

Could I ride this bike on the same stuff with a 120mm fork? Sure. But I don't need to feel beat up after every ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    My question is why would you do dorps to falt (drops to flat)?

For me the stock 120mm Rev wasn't cutting it. I had to run it so stiff not to bottom it harshly. When I moved it to 140mm it was a world of difference.
    Now I'm on an F34 at 150mm and it's better again.

I'm 6'6" (198cm) and 240lbs (108kg) and ride aggressively in and around Whistler, BC.

I have an F36 at 160mm on my Banshee Prime and I'm looking forward to trying it on my Honzo this Fall.
    I like the bike slack and have been thinking about getting an Angleset headset.

Could I ride this bike on the same stuff with a 120mm fork? Sure. But I don't need to feel beat up after every ride.
    we do drops where we can find them as im not in BC, but in tejas and biking here blows_dog.

not sure how you have your rev set up, but my pike seems fine at 120mm on the trails i ride with the proper tune. Had a 140mm pike on my yelli and it just felt odd to me.

As far as getting beat up, I'm 43 so can completely understand.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Bnerd
    we do drops where we can find them as im not in BC, but in tejas and biking here blows_dog.

not sure how you have your rev set up, but my pike seems fine at 120mm on the trails i ride with the proper tune. Had a 140mm pike on my yelli and it just felt odd to me.

As far as getting beat up, I'm 43 so can completely understand.
    Fair enough.
    Get your kicks where you can find them!
    As long as you're riding you should be having fun!

I'm not saying that I haven't dorped to falt. But I do try to avoid that where possible as I'm not looking to be a trials rider.

My Rev was the 2012 Dual Air that came stock on my 2012 OG Honzo.
    I can understand how a 120mm Pike would fair better with tokens to ramp up the end of the stroke. The 2012 Rev was just holding on, even in the 140mm setting, to how I was riding it. I'm surprised that I didn't break myself and break the Rev with the riding I did on it! It flexed like a mofo and I had to think well in advanced when trying to change direction because of the torsional flex! That's what riding a 32mm stanchioned fork in burly terrain does for a riding experience!

As to travel differences in forks, that comes down to where you ride and how you ride.
    I find it entertaining when people post saying that a certain amount of travel for the Honzo, or any bike for that matter, is the one that it should be ridden with. Even with the amount of experience-info that has been shared in this particular thread I'm sometimes surprised by the ideas pushed here. But that's what keeps it entertaining; the multitude of view-points and opinions.

I'll swing my dick and say that I can ride this bike on almost every trail in the Whistler valley including the bike park. Because I have.
    And, this bike shreds.
    I enjoy this bike because it keeps me honest with my skill set. It keeps my skills sharp. But I do get spanked hard every now and again!

Oh, and, I'm 44.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Fair enough.
    Get your kicks where you can find them!
    As long as you're riding you should be having fun!

I'm not saying that I haven't dorped to falt. But I do try to avoid that where possible as I'm not looking to be a trials rider.

My Rev was the 2012 Dual Air that came stock on my 2012 OG Honzo.
    I can understand how a 120mm Pike would fair better with tokens to ramp up the end of the stroke. The 2012 Rev was just holding on, even in the 140mm setting, to how I was riding it. I'm surprised that I didn't break myself and break the Rev with the riding I did on it! It flexed like a mofo and I had to think well in advanced when trying to change direction because of the torsional flex! That's what riding a 32mm stanchioned fork in burly terrain does for a riding experience!

As to travel differences in forks, that comes down to where you ride and how you ride.
    I find it entertaining when people post saying that a certain amount of travel for the Honzo, or any bike for that matter, is the one that it should be ridden with. Even with the amount of experience-info that has been shared in this particular thread I'm sometimes surprised by the ideas pushed here. But that's what keeps it entertaining; the multitude of view-points and opinions.

I'll swing my dick and say that I can ride this bike on almost every trail in the Whistler valley including the bike park. Because I have.
    And, this bike shreds.
    I enjoy this bike because it keeps me honest with my skill set. It keeps my skills sharp. But I do get spanked hard every now and again!

Oh, and, I'm 44.
    Agree with and understand the go with what works methodology. 80% of my time on the honzo involves pedaling so i like to keep it efficient as I have other bikes for more aggressive stuff.

I had a few of those REV and REBA duals and can say the pike can do way more with less travel. Riding the MRP stage opened my eyes to what a good fork is capable of and have since upgraded to the ramp control for the pikes.

Honzo's a good rig no matter how you slice it
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Norđwegr
    Nice! That an atlas 35/35? If so, I have the same one

It is, there were RF Sixc bars on sale so I figured I'd get the 35mm variants
    800mm seems awfully wide, but I'm giving it a few weeks before cutting.

Norđwegr
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dsc_0020.jpg

First ride on the 35mm stem, 800mm sixc bar and 130mm fork length, holy shit. I'm not cutting it or going back up to 140mm!

Had a few close calls with trees due to the width, but that should lessen with time just as crank strikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Funny, I approached my bike hookup guy about a set of those same bars (orange). I've been on another bike with similar RF carbon bars and I'm sold. Gonna get a shorter stem too as the reach is pretty long with my 55mm stem.

I too (at a youthful 38 years old) am finding hardtailing becoming more painful as I do more and more jumps/drops. I put a 120mm on recently and am kinda missing my 140, but I'm gonna put a token in my pike and wait to see how this bar feels before I make any rash decisions. On 95% of my trails I'm just fine, but some lumpier descents are rattling my head & arms more than I'd like with the 120. Finding the 120 more divey than I expected too, even with more than enough pressure. Maybe I'm fatter...

mtbr member
    The MRP ramp control conversion made a nice difference on the pike. I was able to soften up the pressure for better small bump compliance and ramp it up for the drops.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    Funny, I approached my bike hookup guy about a set of those same bars (orange). I've been on another bike with similar RF carbon bars and I'm sold. Gonna get a shorter stem too as the reach is pretty long with my 55mm stem.

I too (at a youthful 38 years old) am finding hardtailing becoming more painful as I do more and more jumps/drops. I put a 120mm on recently and am kinda missing my 140, but I'm gonna put a token in my pike and wait to see how this bar feels before I make any rash decisions. On 95% of my trails I'm just fine, but some lumpier descents are rattling my head & arms more than I'd like with the 120. Finding the 120 more divey than I expected too, even with more than enough pressure. Maybe I'm fatter...
    They're really nice, way less flexy than my Next handlebars. Even though I weigh 20lb more than I did with the next.

I wanted the orange bar (fox special) to match the decals on the bike, but the red ones were half off. There's some red on the sunrace 11-46 cassette and my grips are red so, money saved!

Remember how crazy people were trying to colourmatch on the 2013 Honzos? Orange everything :P

I'm 32, but I can feel my knees aren't what they used to be, next frame will be a FS.

The MRP ramp control conversion made a nice difference on the pike. I was able to soften up the pressure for better small bump compliance and ramp it up for the drops.
    Hmm, I didn't know about this product until today; but I'm going to read up on it. Seems neat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you want more performance out of your Pike, look at the Luftkappe too --
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vorspr...pe-review.html

mtbr member
    I will have my 2012 frameset 20L for sell. Finally retiring it and swapped everything over to a Satori frame.

konahonzo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	1142889

First ride on the 35mm stem, 800mm sixc bar and 130mm fork length, holy shit. I'm not cutting it or going back up to 140mm!

Had a few close calls with trees due to the width, but that should lessen with time just as crank strikes.
    Awesome. I'm also at 800/35. I had ordered a sixc initially, but ended up with a chromag somethingrather that was also orange, same dimensions, weight, and price.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I will have my 2012 frameset 20L for sell. Finally retiring it and swapped everything over to a Satori frame.
    I would keep it if you can. I just ordered a Canfield Balance and I am keeping my 2016 to have as alternative/backup/loaner. I also still want to try 27.5+ on my Honzo.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    If you want more performance out of your Pike, look at the Luftkappe too --
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vorspr...pe-review.html
    Installation seems to be a bit more complicated, but thanks for the tip. Might look into that after I get some time on the mrp part.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

Congrats on settling on a frame If you ever need to replace it I know there's a brand that uses the same off the shelf design as the Satori.

I think they're out of business now though, at some point they changed names from Hammerhead to Switchback, the name of the frame is Thumper.

Awesome. I'm also at 800/35. I had ordered a sixc initially, but ended up with a chromag somethingrather that was also orange, same dimensions, weight, and price.
    Yeah I looked at those aswell, Chromag is good stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have a stock 2017 honzo al dl size large, but think I should have gone with the steel in a medium. It eats up the difficult trails, but the aluminum frame kills my back and the seat tube angle is way too steep. Did finally get used to the super low bottom bracket after about 3 months. Thinking of swapping out the frame for the steel version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    I have a stock 2017 honzo al dl size large, but think I should have gone with the steel in a medium. It eats up the difficult trails, but the aluminum frame kills my back and the seat tube angle is way too steep. Did finally get used to the super low bottom bracket after about 3 months. Thinking of swapping out the frame for the steel version.
    The STA is almost the same on the steel. Why do you want to change it?

Aside from dialing your cockpit, you may be better served with a leftover 111 frame if youre having back problems.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Norđwegr
    Anyone with a Ti notice that there's a drain hole in the toptube stub that extends behind the seattube? Never seen that until I had to remove the post and flip the bike over to drain todays water buildup. Odd they'd have a hole there but not under the bb.

I hate this grommet design, it tears if from a slight pull on the dropper cable and from there it gets all kind of gunk into the seattube.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo_20170627_183423.jpg

My doorways are 780mm, makes it interesting getting in and out.

MRP thingy should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vegard; 1 Day Ago at 03:42 PM.

Anyone with a Ti notice that there's a drain hole in the toptube stub that extends behind the seattube? Never seen that until I had to remove the post and flip the bike over to drain todays water buildup. Odd they'd have a hole there but not under the bb.

I hate this grommet design, it tears if from a slight pull on the dropper cable and from there it gets all kind of gunk into the seattube.
    I've noticed a few drainholes, including at the bottoms of the stays/etc. It's nice knowing I don't need to worry about corrosion/etc.

Note sure on BB, but perhaps a tilt backwards would work to get the water down the stays.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by braaptownusa View Post

Very nice looking Honzo!

What frame bag is that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

2017 sizing question

I'm considering building up a 2017 st frame but nobody near me has the honzo AL frame to check sizes. I'm 6'1.5" with a 31-32" inseam. Anybody recommend the L or XL?

Anyone know the minimum steerer length for the '17?

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    At your height you could do both on a 2017. My buddy whos 6'2 was a little cramped on my 2016 large honzo but the 17 has a longer TT. With your inseam you could get the longest travel dropper with a large which is always a bonus.

coin toss: large
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdude View Post
    I'm considering building up a 2017 st frame but nobody near me has the honzo AL frame to check sizes. I'm 6'1.5" with a 31-32" inseam. Anybody recommend the L or XL?

Anyone know the minimum steerer length for the '17?

Thanks all!
    I'm 6'1" and very happy on a 2017 large ST. 50mm stem and 800mm bars. 125mm dropper is plenty for me. The XL looks ridiculous IMHO.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243