Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 4,101 to 4,177 of 4177
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    2.8 Maxxis Rekon on 38mm internal width rims. It actually measures 2.6in wide at the widest point with about 20psi (as does the 2.8 DHF in the front). It has 3mm clearance to the yoke on both sides and I've never had an issue with rubbing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Gotcha. My rims are 40mm and the Nobby 2.8 measures at 2.75.

Sucks I had to drop down to a 2.6 but I didn't really notice a difference. Plus, I can slide my drop out all the way forward which is nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Does anyone know if the 2017 uses the same size headset as the 2016?
    Not sure if size is the right word there - curious if the top/ bottom cups are the same dimensions between the two frames

mtbr member
    They are the same, ZS44 top & ZS56 bottom for the Steel and aluminum Honzos, but the Ti is ZS44 top and EC44 to run a tapered fork. The Carbon is IS44 and IS 52 according to the Cane Creek Headset finder.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterRiot View Post
    Heres my XL Honzo ST 27.5+
    Attachment 1133237
    What size tires? I'm in the market for some steel but I like a lot of rubber. Not a fan of the big hanzo color scheme.

Does any one know the largest 27.5+ I can squeeze into a hanzo ST?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    What size tires? I'm in the market for some steel but I like a lot of rubber. Not a fan of the big hanzo color scheme.

Just a heads up that Kona is done making steel Honzo's. If you want one you might have to do a bit of searching for the few that are left around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Maxxis Reckon 2.8s and Nobby Nic 2.6s fit in the rear with a few millimeters to spare. You're not fitting a 3.0 in the back I don't think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    Just a heads up that Kona is done making steel Honzo's. If you want one you might have to do a bit of searching for the few that are left around.
    What a bummer. Where'd you hear that? Wonder what their reasoning is

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zach17 View Post
    What a bummer. Where'd you hear that? Wonder what their reasoning is
    That's the word from my local Kona dealer. I ordered a frame in March and found out they weren't making any more. I was lucky and they found one for me though. It's a sweet bike, definitely worth searching for.

the air is thin up here..
    That's the word from my local Kona dealer. I ordered a frame in March and found out they weren't making any more. I was lucky and they found one for me though. It's a sweet bike, definitely worth searching for.
    I'd be careful spreading this information with such certainty until we hear more than what one dealer says.

These frames sell out every year. Which means 2 things -

1- it could have been a misinterpretation, and they aren't making any more this year

2- they have no problem selling. Typically companies don't end of life a successful product.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Go faster!
    bikeman still has some SM and XL ST frames in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    I'd be careful spreading this information with such certainty until we hear more than what one dealer says.

These frames sell out every year. Which means 2 things -

1- it could have been a misinterpretation, and they aren't making any more this year

2- they have no problem selling. Typically companies don't end of life a successful product.
    Yeah I know how it works, this word from the Kona rep for my area was they they aren't making any more steel frames for tha foreseeable future. If anyone has any word contradicting this I'd be happy as they are awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    fwiw, if you go to the kona site from a european ip address, you cannot find any steel nor ti frames listed at all anymore. those were removed couple months back.
    the direct links still work, though.

mtbr member
    looking to pull the trigger on a big honzo - can anyone confirm a 3.0 fits in the rear? i am leaning toward a 3.0 minion DHR on a 40 mil rim.....

Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    looking to pull the trigger on a big honzo - can anyone confirm a 3.0 fits in the rear? i am leaning toward a 3.0 minion DHR on a 40 mil rim.....
    Sure, I'll google that for you

"Although the Big Honzos come speced with 2.8” plus tires, I also spent time on the bike running aggressive 3.0” Terrene Chunk tires. Clearance was ample for 3.0s. "

From: Kona Big Honzo DL, Long-term Review - BIKEPACKING.com
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

17 ST Honzo 27.5+

Medium build sitting on NOX Kitsuma 27.5+ and Onyx hubs..Maxxis Rekon and Minion DHF 2.8's. Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed-1-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    Medium build sitting on NOX Kitsuma 27.5+ and Onyx hubs..Maxxis Rekon and Minion DHF 2.8's. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	1136313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	1136314
    Nice build! Those onyx Hubs are wild. A friend of mine got some, that sprag clutch is the coolest feeling.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

I said I was done my build several times before, but this time I mean it!

Pike is a nice upgrade over the revelation. The dual position is fantastic, seems that RS nailed it.

At full 150mm it's too raked (66.5deg) to climb, but great for descending. Knocking it down to 120mm fixes the climbing problem, with no big sacrifice if you leave it there.

IMO this fork is the perfect match for the multi personality Honzo, and I'm still quite happy with it being my only bike.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170506_133923_burst01.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    I'm jealous noot, it's still snowing where I live!

I did some maintenance and up/sidegrading today, new 46t cassette, new 32t oval chainring, new xtr chain, rebuild of my eggbeaters and dt swiss hubs.

Grease, grease everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I'm jealous noot, it's still snowing where I live!

I did some maintenance and up/sidegrading today, new 46t cassette, new 32t oval chainring, new xtr chain, rebuild of my eggbeaters and dt swiss hubs.

Grease, grease everywhere.
    It's not atypical for us to have snow well into May as well, but incredibly it was 29C here last week! The trails have dried out nicely.

Let's keep this thread moving - show us some pics of the new stuff
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0901.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0507.jpg
    Another great trip to southern Utah. So much fun on the Honzo. This bike is an absolute riot. Still waiting for my favorite trails at home in Flagstaff to be cleared of downed trees to get a true feel for the new rig.

mtbr member
    Sure, I'll google that for you

"Although the Big Honzos come speced with 2.8” plus tires, I also spent time on the bike running aggressive 3.0” Terrene Chunk tires. Clearance was ample for 3.0s. "

From: Kona Big Honzo DL, Long-term Review - BIKEPACKING.com
    Strong work on the google skills.... i hadnt come across that review yet and it is a seriously comprehensive and great review... I am sold - looks like i will be getting a chance to contribute to this thread with some build shots.... let the fun begin!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I was on the fence about keeping it, but after 1 ride, I'm no longer on the fence. This is a fun bike. It did not feel like a 28lb plus bike. It climbed well enough on our punchy New England stuff and was very agile. The Large is comfy for me at 6'1" even though on paper it seemed like it'd be too long compared to my other mtb's.

Currently wearing 27.5+ Nobby Nic 2.8 on Mercury 40mm rims which just barely clear the chainstays. I'll also be trying out some 29*2.3 tires for racing. It will probably get a dropper too, but not until I sell some other parts I don't need.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Medium build sitting on NOX Kitsuma 27.5+ and Onyx hubs..Maxxis Rekon and Minion DHF 2.8's. Click image for larger version. 

How.tall.are.you?.Sorry.spacebar.is.broken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How.tall.are.you?.Sorry.spacebar.is.broken
    6' and I also ride a medium Wozo..so based sizing from that med.

Robtre
    medium build sitting on nox kitsuma 27.5+ and onyx hubs..maxxis rekon and minion dhf 2.8's. Click image for larger version. 

dayum gina!
    -rides bikes for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post

I was on the fence about keeping it, but after 1 ride, I'm no longer on the fence. This is a fun bike. It did not feel like a 28lb plus bike. It climbed well enough on our punchy New England stuff and was very agile. The Large is comfy for me at 6'1" even though on paper it seemed like it'd be too long compared to my other mtb's.

Currently wearing 27.5+ Nobby Nic 2.8 on Mercury 40mm rims which just barely clear the chainstays. I'll also be trying out some 29*2.3 tires for racing. It will probably get a dropper too, but not until I sell some other parts I don't need.
    Aha! Awesome. Glad to hear
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Aha! Awesome. Glad to hear
    This thing looks like a pedal striking nightmare. Confirm or deny?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This thing looks like a pedal striking nightmare. Confirm or deny?
    Yes, definitely more pedal strikes than I'm used to on my old 29er, but not unbearable so far. If I was designing this frame, I'd raise the bb a bit. Using 29er wheels should help slightly too. I'm running 130mm up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I ended up swapping over to a 17 frame from a 16 for the little bit longer geometry. Time will tell if it was actually worthwhile.
    Ended up using 3mm spacers on either side of a 142 rear hub and a 3mm rotor spacer. Was worried about the chainline but turns out its really no worse than it was before on the 16 with a 142 rear end. I did use a non-boost crank; the chainline would definitely be rough with a boost crank. Theres just enough clearance to run a non-boost crank with a 32 tooth chainring - I don't think a 34 would clear the stays.
    I will say getting the rear derailleur adjusted to the extra 3mm was a bit of a pain but she's running smooth for now.

One thing I was a bit surprised about was the clearance in the frame for the rear tire. I run a hans dampf on a 26mm internal rim and there can't be more than 3mm on either side of the tire. Im shocked that people aren't having issues running 650b+ tires. Maybe my hans dampf has just stretched out a lot

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zach17 View Post
    So I ended up swapping over to a 17 frame from a 16 for the little bit longer geometry. Time will tell if it was actually worthwhile.
    Ended up using 3mm spacers on either side of a 142 rear hub and a 3mm rotor spacer. Was worried about the chainline but turns out its really no worse than it was before on the 16 with a 142 rear end. I did use a non-boost crank; the chainline would definitely be rough with a boost crank. Theres just enough clearance to run a non-boost crank with a 32 tooth chainring - I don't think a 34 would clear the stays.
    I will say getting the rear derailleur adjusted to the extra 3mm was a bit of a pain but she's running smooth for now.

One thing I was a bit surprised about was the clearance in the frame for the rear tire. I run a hans dampf on a 26mm internal rim and there can't be more than 3mm on either side of the tire. Im shocked that people aren't having issues running 650b+ tires. Maybe my hans dampf has just stretched out a lot
    What size Hans Dampf? I just put my 29er wheels on the '17 with an Ardent Race. It measures 2.2 inches, but I have miles of room with the dropouts about centered. I could fit a 2.5

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Great Forum!
    I'm building up a Honzo ST for road riding until I drop some of this weight. 5'8" 430'ish.
    Long term is to drop enough weight to go trail riding and change up the fork and wheel set on the bike.

2017 Honzo ST, Small
    Chris King Inset Head Set
    DH Velocity Wheel Set
    Race Face Evolve SS Crankset 170mm NW30T Black 9/10/11
    Race Face Evolve Riser Handlebar, 31.8 x 725mm 3/4" Rise Black
    Salsa Cutthroat Fork, Black
    Salsa Guide Stem 90mm +/- 25 degree 31.8 Black
    SRAM Guide RSC Disc Brakes
    SRAM/Avid CenterLineX 2-Piece 6 Bolt Rotors
    SRAM GX Trigger Shifter 11-Speed Rear Red
    SRAM GX 1x11 Speed Long Cage Rear Derailleur Black
    SRAM PC-1170 11-Speed Chain
    SRAM PG1130 Cassette 11 Speed 11-32 Teeth
    Schwalbe Big Apple Tire, 29x2.35
    basic computer for tracking miles

I'll post some pictures when I finally get it done!

Quote Originally Posted by RicSal View Post
    Great Forum!
    I'm building up a Honzo ST for road riding until I drop some of this weight. 5'8" 430'ish.
    Long term is to drop enough weight to go trail riding and change up the fork and wheel set on the bike.

2017 Honzo ST, Small
    DH Velocity Wheel Set

Riding is certainly the most fun way I can think of to get and stay in shape! Best of luck to you, and looks like a nice build!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Great Forum!

2017 Honzo ST, Small
    DH Velocity Wheel Set

HI,
    that sounds like a very cool build, I'm looking forward to pics! And as @noot said: riding your bike is definitely the most fun way to get fit(ter).
    Btw are you sure the the Small is the right size for you?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2017

Soon; I will have HONZO Steel!

thanks..
    I have a partial photo of it incomplete, but the frame with those beastly 29's are just right for my stature. The builder is having to replace the rear hub; my bike has boost spacing? Not sure what that is, I'm new to all of this and have so much to learn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bike-2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bike-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    What size Hans Dampf? I just put my 29er wheels on the '17 with an Ardent Race. It measures 2.2 inches, but I have miles of room with the dropouts about centered. I could fit a 2.5
    Its a 2.35, but I do have the dropouts pushed forward as far as they go

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi guys, like 9 months ago I bought my Kona Honzo AL 29" 2016 frame size L (my first real bike) and I'm enjoying a lot riding it!! Normally I ride it 2 to 3hrs a day, 6 days a week. But I want to upgrade the bike (all components are from factory) so... I have some questions for you
    I want to orientate the bike to a do it all bike but also improve it in the descends.
    My wanted upgrades are: a dropper seatpost, saddle, stem, tyres and a fork.

Dropper seatpost I suppose I don't have other alternative than a Rockshox Reverb Stealth don't I? I'm 6ft 4" so I was thinking about getting a 150mm dropper, is that correct? I'm open to suggestions.

Saddle I think it will be down to preference but if someone could recommend me one that worked really good for him would be aprecciate.

Stem I was thinking about a 50mm stem I'm gonna see the difference between this one and the one that is one the bike now? Or should I go shorter?

Tyres Which tyres do you recommend me? I live in a dry place (some weeks wet in the winter) but that's all. I really wanna see the diference and I don't know which ones should I pick.

Fork I was thinking about getting a 150mm-160mm Pike or Lyrik do you recommend me to go for the 160 or stay with the 150? Also Pike or Lyrik?

Also if someone has any upgrade suggestion to improve the bike would aprecciate it very much.

Thank you very much guys, and see you in the trails!!

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I have the same bike (large, i'm 179cm) and made the following upgrds:
    Suntour auron fork @130 (very good for the price! Travel can be internally increased to 140 and 150 by way of spacers - 6 eur apiece)
    Slx discs 200mm front, 160 rear
    Roox commander stem 35mm length
    Rf atlas bars 785 mm width
    Swapped the wtb sx rims for wtb st i29 and set up tubeless
    Maxxis minion 2.5 front, high roller 2.3 rear. I recommend those. Minion rear (maybe in 2.3) is also a good option.
    Dropper post: currently 110mm 3 position forca sps, thinking about getting a ks lev integra 150mm / 34.9

Regarding your fork question: not sure if 150-160mm would still be ok, geometry wise!

Ps: saddle: i recommend wtb saddles

Robtre

Orange Krush

With a few borrowed parts, awaiting the arrival of a "proppa droppa", and I need to order 170mm cranks, and a 2.6 Rocket Ron, I had the chance to get her out in the dirt this weekend, and she did not disappoint. Love at first sight...Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona1.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona2.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona-3.jpg
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre

Orange Krush

With a few borrowed parts, awaiting the arrival of a "proppa droppa", and I need to order 170mm cranks, and a 2.6 Rocket Ron, I had the chance to get her out in the dirt this weekend, and she did not disappoint. Love at first sight...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	1137402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	1137403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1137404
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    With a few borrowed parts, awaiting the arrival of a "proppa droppa", and I need to order 170mm cranks, and a 2.6 Rocket Ron, I had the chance to get her out in the dirt this weekend, and she did not disappoint. Love at first sight...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	1137402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	1137403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1137404
    Nice bike; digging the pedals. What kind?

Robtre
    Blackspire is the brand, didn't know much about them when I bought them, but they are solid. bearings after 2 years still rollin' fast, sturdy and grippy.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At 83 pages I'm not finding past posts on max tire and rim for the earlier Brownzo and Greenzo Honzos. I'm looking at replacing my Greenzo i23 rims with wider ones and wonder if tires like newer 2.4 Bontragers or 2.4 WTB Trail Boss will fit the rear. Any help appreciated.

After a few years I still love the bike. I never thought I'd like big wheels or would go back to a hard tail for trail riding. It's as much as a trail bike for me. How does any proper hedonist not like what happens when you combine dirt jumper with monster truck????
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    HI,
    that sounds like a very cool build, I'm looking forward to pics! And as @noot said: riding your bike is definitely the most fun way to get fit(ter).
    Btw are you sure the the Small is the right size for you?
    Enjoy the ride!
    im 5'8" and i fit ok on my small 16, with the 17 being a little longer, he should be fine.

i was thinking of upgrading to a 17 small, but i cant seem to find any, plus i dont want to spend more money to rebuild my rear wheels with boost hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fssmikey View Post
    im 5'8" and i fit ok on my small 16, with the 17 being a little longer, he should be fine.

i was thinking of upgrading to a 17 small, but i cant seem to find any, plus i dont want to spend more money to rebuild my rear wheels with boost hubs.
    right now I just want to start clocking miles on it. I'm looking for ideas on the pedals; I know I want flat, but not sure what to look for as far as grip. Suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    right now I just want to start clocking miles on it. I'm looking for ideas on the pedals; I know I want flat, but not sure what to look for as far as grip. Suggestions?

Thanks
    i have saints and i love them. if you want plastic pedals, Odyssey Twisted pedals are pretty legit. just make sure to get a good set of sneakers. Vans work really well with flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Probably the best plastic flat on the market right now is the RaceFace Chester. They rival the high end aluminum and magnesium offerings like the Crampon or Point1 Podiums. If you want nearly indestructible alloy pedals with amazing grip - Straitline DeFacto.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Probably the best plastic flat on the market right now is the RaceFace Chester. They rival the high end aluminum and magnesium offerings like the Crampon or Point1 Podiums. If you want nearly indestructible alloy pedals with amazing grip - Straitline DeFacto.
    They look like pretty good pedals, but saying they rival the Canfield Crampon sounds like quite a stretch - have you ridden the Crampons? There is no better.

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    At 83 pages I'm not finding past posts on max tire and rim for the earlier Brownzo and Greenzo Honzos. I'm looking at replacing my Greenzo i23 rims with wider ones and wonder if tires like newer 2.4 Bontragers or 2.4 WTB Trail Boss will fit the rear. Any help appreciated.

After a few years I still love the bike. I never thought I'd like big wheels or would go back to a hard tail for trail riding. It's as much as a trail bike for me. How does any proper hedonist not like what happens when you combine dirt jumper with monster truck????
    Far as I knew, 2012 13 and 14 (blue, green, brown) all have the same max tire width of around 2.35.

I had Stans flow rims (~23mm internal) and a Hans dampf rubbed too much to ride on my blue '12. The Hans dampf is a known oversized 2.35, so an undersized 2.4 might be fine, but no way a 2.5 or larger will fit.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    They look like pretty good pedals, but saying they rival the Canfield Crampon sounds like quite a stretch - have you ridden the Crampons? There is no better.
    I haven't ridden Crampons yet. They are the next pedal I am going to buy even though my Straitlines won't die.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitokey View Post
    Hi guys, like 9 months ago I bought my Kona Honzo AL 29" 2016 frame size L (my first real bike) and I'm enjoying a lot riding it!! Normally I ride it 2 to 3hrs a day, 6 days a week. But I want to upgrade the bike (all components are from factory) so... I have some questions for you
    I want to orientate the bike to a do it all bike but also improve it in the descends.

Dropper seatpost I suppose I don't have other alternative than a Rockshox Reverb Stealth don't I? I'm 6ft 4" so I was thinking about getting a 150mm dropper, is that correct? I'm open to suggestions.

Saddle I think it will be down to preference but if someone could recommend me one that worked really good for him would be aprecciate.

Stem I was thinking about a 50mm stem I'm gonna see the difference between this one and the one that is one the bike now? Or should I go shorter?

Tyres Which tyres do you recommend me? I live in a dry place (some weeks wet in the winter) but that's all. I really wanna see the diference and I don't know which ones should I pick.

Fork I was thinking about getting a 150mm-160mm Pike or Lyrik do you recommend me to go for the 160 or stay with the 150? Also Pike or Lyrik?

Also if someone has any upgrade suggestion to improve the bike would aprecciate it very much.

I've had bad luck with reverb, but like my KS Lev. Lots of opinions on droppers these days.

Saddles are like shoes - find one that fits. Several companies have multiple widths now, including bontrager who I believe also offers a return policy if it doesn't fit.

Be careful with a short stem and big fork. I went to a 35mm stem and when my fork is in 150mm mode, climbing is difficult as the front tire wants to lift. At 120mm it's fine.

At 6'4 on a Large, I'd be especially careful here as unless you have long legs and a short torso, you're into XL territory IMO and too short a reach will exacerbate the climbing issues.

Tires, I recommend magic mary front, rock razor rear.

Both forks are great, lyrik might be overkill. I'd strongly recommend a dual position model if you want to go that big, as (per my above comments) climbing geometry suffers.

EDIT: one other thing on stems. You can find very very cheap stems to try out different lengths. I bought one for around $20 new, house brand from a reputable distributor. Far as I can tell, it was only lacking the bling of a nicer stem as I can't imagine it breaking (don't see that often), flex on a short stem has to be negligible at best, and it wasn't even all that heavy..

Of course I ended up buying a new expensive shiny stem after I decided I liked the length anyway, but that's another problem altogether
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Tyres Which tyres do you recommend me? I live in a dry place (some weeks wet in the winter) but that's all. I really wanna see the diference and I don't know which ones should I pick. Thank you very much guys, and see you in the trails!!
    If you live in dry places without much rock and the trail get blown out in the late season try Minion DHFs as big as you can fit in dual compound not 3C. The rubber penetrates those conditions a little better.

If you're looking for a RS fork, I'd go Yari and get an Avalanche damper instead of a Pike or even a Lyrik. It solves the mid stroke wallow which is the only knock on a Pike.

mtbr member
    I agree to what noot said: the 13 and 14 frames wont support a wider tire than a minion dhf 2.3 for example, on the stock i23 rim.

Regarding flat pedals: i use saibts and atlas, both are good. shoes are very important if you use flats. 5.10's are worth evrry cent of their price!

mtbr member

You live where its dry. What type of dry? Run a dedicated rear or XC tire in back and something more aggressive up front. Resist the temptation to go too aggressive ,IMHO.

That frame is a little small for you. Look for a 170-200mm dropper to get the most out of your money. 50mm stem is shortest you could probably go and no have your knees hit the bars.

My 16AL honzo has a 120mm pike rct3 and handles 3ft drops to flat with 195lbs on it just fine. I wouldnt go more than 130mm if it were me. but........

Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Had some, wasn't that impressed with crampons. DMR vaults have been godlike for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    I agree to what noot said: the 13 and 14 frames wont support a wider tire than a minion dhf 2.3 for example, on the stock i23 rim.

Regarding flat pedals: i use saibts and atlas, both are good. shoes are very important if you use flats. 5.10's are worth evrry cent of their price!
    X2 on 5.10s, particularly the Mi6 compound shoes. Never ridden anything like it.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Good job! Ride update

After about 100 miles, I'm really enjoying the Honzo. I am tempted to get a 130mm Pike. I'll have a full writeup soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-screenshot_20170516-134929.jpg  

1994 Diamondback Viper BMX
    1994 Bridgestone MB-6
    2015 Transition Patrol
    2017 Kona Honzo ST

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by braaptownusa View Post
    After about 100 miles, I'm really enjoying the Honzo. I am tempted to get a 130mm Pike. I'll have a full writeup soon.
    looking good!
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Trying it out with the 29er wheels. Definitely could tell the difference with fewer pedal strikes but I think the 27.5+ are a more fun configuration on the technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Guys! I've got huge first world problems. My 140mm Pike on my Honzo is kinda pooched and it'll be like 400 minimum to fix. But, I do have a brand spankin new 120mm Pike, so the bike will not be left without. Problem is, I'm all used to the 140 and am not sure I wanna drop it down. I was gonna sell the 120 I had ordered through a friend at pretty much what I paid, so no loss, but now there is money involved regardless of which fork I go with.

What would you do?

Option A: fix the 140 and sell the 120 - total cost about 400

Option B: Run the spankin 120 and maybe get a couple hundred for my busted 140 - total cost about 500 bucks

Has anyone gone back from a 140 and preferred it?

mtbr member
    Can't your shop just swap the air shafts? What exactly is wrong with the original pike?

In a perfect world, i'd do a 130mm shaft with a 1.0* works headset.

Norđwegr
    I'd swap the airsprings. I have 120, 130 and 140mm springs to swap between. Sadly my Honzo has a straight headtube so it can't do anglesets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I can. Seems like some grit got in below the seals and has sanded the sliders down, which is compromising the seal (I think). 400 just to replace the slider, then new seals etc. My 120 was about 700 bucks and I was hoping to sell my used one for close to the same as it's not that old. Now that plan is screwed. I didn't really budget for this expense, especially after trashing a wheel recently. Bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I'd swap the airsprings. I have 120, 130 and 140mm springs to swap between. Sadly my Honzo has a straight headtube so it can't do anglesets.
    Have you looked at Works Components? I am pretty sure they have a few headsets for a 44mm headtube. They have 1°, 1.5° and 2° headsets to fit just about anything. Their headsets will raise your stack height if that's a concern for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    I can. Seems like some grit got in below the seals and has sanded the sliders down, which is compromising the seal (I think). 400 just to replace the slider, then new seals etc. My 120 was about 700 bucks and I was hoping to sell my used one for close to the same as it's not that old. Now that plan is screwed. I didn't really budget for this expense, especially after trashing a wheel recently. Bikes!
    These parts can be had cheap online and are easily serviced at home to save some money. Also, if youre just looking for a standard non-boost pike, they can be had new for under $600

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Have you looked at Works Components? I am pretty sure they have a few headsets for a 44mm headtube. They have 1°, 1.5° and 2° headsets to fit just about anything. Their headsets will raise your stack height if that's a concern for you.
    I have the works 1* on my 2016 111 and really like it. Good quality, no noise an great price. Also bought a chainring from them as well and found its identical to the absolute in degrees.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    These parts can be had cheap online and are easily serviced at home to save some money. Also, if youre just looking for a standard non-boost pike, they can be had new for under $600

USD? Im using CAD & I haven't seen new pike RCT3 for less than 800 CAD. 600 Cad is a smokin deal!

mtbr member
    USD? Im using CAD & I haven't seen new pike RCT3 for less than 800 CAD. 600 Cad is a smokin deal!
    CAD does put you at a disadvantage, sorry about getting your hopes up on that one.

What parts does your original fork need?

Have you looked on pink bike?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stanchions at the minimum.

mtbr member
    Stanchions at the minimum.
    So in the end you'll need a upper/steerer, lower bushings, seals,wipers and oil.

You might look into finding a used 29er pike on PB with good stantions. I've bought a few of PB and had good luck. As a benefit, you can buy a pike with right steerer and just swap the air shaft and damper to make it work for you.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There's really no way to salvage this situation that doesn't cost a bunch of money. Such a bummer! I really want my bike to break from epic riding, no just dirt on my fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's really no way to salvage this situation that doesn't cost a bunch of money. Such a bummer! I really want my bike to break from epic riding, no just dirt on my fork.
    Sup JessE, try your frame with the 120...I went from 140 > 130 > 140 > 120. Now at 120 and keeping it there for the foreseeable future. Sure, it might not be as super aggro like the 140 was, but I prefer the lower stack height (so much so that I'll give up a 20mm in extra travel to feel more comfortable). Mainly this is becuase I hate climbing and set my bikes up to help me in that arena as much as possible.

If I were you: I would install a 1.5-2* works angleset with your 120mm fork.

I would install the angleset too if I had the cash..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I've just acquired another bike that is a bit bigger all around, so I'm just gonna put this thing down to 120. Also picked up the fork which has all black decals and it looks wicked, haha. I too like the idea of lower stack height on the climbs, or at least the option of a lower stack height, as right now my stem is at the headset. The lower centre of gravity should make things fun. The 68 degree headangle should be ok, but not scared to check out an angle set if it doesn't bring the bb down to silly levels.

mtbr member
    Using 1* headset with 130mm seems to be the sweet spot.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    May 2017

New build

The latest in my long line of Honzos. It started with a 2013 that was stock up until I sold it to buy a steel 2015 when it first came out. The 2015 was when I absolutely fell in love with the Honzo, it took all of my small little complaints about the 2013 and corrected them in the best way. I originally planned on keeping the 2015 for a long time but found a deal on a TI frame that was too good to pass up. I am recovering from an injury so just moved everything over and took it on a short ride and man this thing rips. will hopefully have some better pictures once I get to take it out again.

First the 2015 ST Honzo Medium. over the winter I stripped it and had it powdercoated steel grey.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_6758.jpg

now with the new
    2017 Honzo Ti Medium
    pike 140
    9Point8 Fall Line 150
    Deity Cavity 50
    Thompson trail 750
    wolf tooth 32
    saint flats

Wheels DT Swiss XM481
    vittoria mezcal and morsa 2.35
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7045.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7046.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7047.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7042.jpg

while I love both the 2015 frame will be listed on pinkbike shortly as I don't need two similar bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    SO MANY GOOD LOOKING HONZOS HERE! This thread convinced me to buy mine, now, question! I have a 2016 ST, I toyed with the idea on building a 27+ wheelset but the cost keeps escalating, my alternative was to run a 29x2.5 Minion DHF front and rear, I know itll clear the front but has anyone ran this wide of a rear tyre on a 29r wheel? I just have the standard 29mm interal wheels that come on the complete. Clearance looks somewhat tight with the current 2.3" tyre but I assume if people are running a 2.6" on a 27.5 rim then surely a 29x2.5 will fit as the chain stay bridges are the same width throughout the adjustment of the slidey dropouts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    HonzSolo, the 29x2.5 dhf fits perfectly. Nobby nic 29x2.6 will fit too. Here is a pic of my '16 Honzo st with 2.5 dhf's
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0901.jpg

mtbr member
    There are plenty of riders running 2.5 Minions on the rear of the steelys. Some even run 29 2.6s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stick to 29er 2.5s or 2.6 - just my opinion. Ive been riding back & forth on 2.8s and 2.35 schwalbe and I always go back to the 29er. Rollerover is noticably better on anything but descents and theyre lighter unless you are running paper thin sidewalls. I like the tighter handling when things get fast. Also, b+ 2.8s are gonna bring your BB quite low, which may or may not bother you.

The grip of my 2.8 minions is insane, but on my honzo I like the qualities of a 29er set up.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142