Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,100 of 4491
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    i can see companies wanting to push cheaper alu frames, which are not not nearly as punishing with fat tires, which are all the rage. I guess they have ti & carbon for the hardcore honzo lovers. Still seems like a shame to lose a cheap & rad steel frame. Now I've got a collectors item!
    Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I have got to say, the imminent release of the DHF 2.6 29 has me holding off on going b+ with the 2.8 27.5 version. I really would like to have matching wheel sizes and axle standards between the FS bike I am going to get once I graduate and my Honzo. I really want a big bike, i.e. Balance, Nomad, or Patrol/Enduro to go with my Honzo.

Do you have any more info on that dhf?
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    No, it was only mentioned in the pinkbike article debuting Maxxis' new line up. Looks like bikerumor covered it, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Threw some upgrades at my rigid/ss Honzo today, new Hadley hubs to flow ex wheelset and a salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier. It has a little less atc but all is well. Cheers! Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9197.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9194.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9196.jpg

I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier.
    I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too
    Is Voodoo fork have AtC 500 mm?Will you plan to sell it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just joined the proud honzo owners club, mine just came in today. Can't wait to get it built up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes it's 500mm (tallest ridged around) I'm gonna hold onto it as a spare sorry man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    I my 2017 St frame just came in, can't wait to get it built up. I'm interested how that 140 fork works for you, I haven't decided in travel yet but I'm definitely into big rubber.
    Also if anyone here is on the fence about buying a steel honzo frame, word is that Kona is done making them for the foreseeable future. Get em while you can!
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannensc View Post
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.
    I've been running a 150mm Pike since I built my bike up a year ago (2016 ST.) The only time the travel has bothered me is on super steep climbing. The steering does feel a bit slow if I have been riding my other bike for a while (first generation SC 5010) but I quickly get used to it.

Nor­wegr
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.
    I currently have a renthal apex 50mm with a 740mm bar.

the stem is flipped, -6 deg rise
    Last edited by fssmikey; 03-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    Dudes got a point. I built up a '16 and almost didn't ride it before I sold it. Only ride it a handful of times but it definitely made me think twice. If I didn't need the cash I would definitely have kept it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??

Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.

Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.
    I've only had a chance to ride them in the wet mud, but they were far better than I expected based on the crap conditions.

I was riding a mix of "new" and "old" 2.35 Nics for most of last season, with the old split-block tire on the back. It had stretched out to almost 2.5in, with the "new" model being a bit smaller.

I wasn't really impressed with the rear tire, it seemed like regardless of tire pressure I could get it to slip when climbing (SS hammering) even in good dry conditions. Almost incredibly, my Rock Razor was better. The 2.6 (of new design, of course) was great.

The 2.6 measures exactly 2.6 (at 33mm internal), so the extra bit of volume will be nice.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i was finally able to get out to the local trails this weekend with the bike set up singespeed

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0063.jpg

the gearing is set up 30/20 and i was able to clear all the features/climbs in the 5 mile beginner/intermediate loop without killing myself.

im guessing i need to invest in a computer to figure out my cadence to fine tune the gearing. but i feel i can go up to a 32/20 or 30/19 without having to hike the climbs.

i also noticed a creak coming from somewhere in the front of the bike. ill take it to a local shop to grease the headset, and cut down the stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0065.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.

Robtre

Need dropper seat post advice!!!

Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    -rides bikes for fun.

Nor­wegr
    Sure the 375mm will be enough? I'm on a rf turbine 415/125 and it's barely long enough to make work on my '16 ti.

Given the choice I wouldn't have bought the turbine again, it's finicky to set up properly and the action of the seatpost isn't very smooth.

My Giant Switch at half the cost is a way better post with smoother operation, sadly it only comes in 30.9.

Next time I'm going back to Kindshock Levs, even the cheap ones are great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    As a point of reference, I am 5'10" and just built up a medium frame Honzo with a 150mm Fox Transfer post with internal cable routing. It fit with no issues.

Edit: I said I have a large frame, but it's actually a medium.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dseybert; 03-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    my 125mm KS LEV DX has been flawless for the 7 months I've had it.

Another vote for the KS Lev. The cable is great (external, but doesn't move). Best of both worlds imo (and the collar easily rotates for best position).

If I'm getting nitpicky, slightly less smooth then my reverb but who cares, doesn't effect the ride at all. Big pro is that unlike my reverb (which turned pogostick twice), it works and is still working.

Heads up on the raceface - my understanding is that while it utilizes some of the good parts of the 9point8 dropper, the rest of the parts are problematic. Someone correct me if this has changed.

Edit: I went into the store to buy a giant post but came out with the Lev Ti for the same price (good sale). The shim isn't a big deal to many, but would have bugged me.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lev TI is one of the best out there. I can't really fault it at all, I've run one for 1.5 years without a hiccup. Every bit as good as the Fall Line I've had for a year.

mtbr member
    I got the Fox after giving up on my KS LEV. After two years of ownership it was sent back 5 times for repair. The 6th time it stopped working it was no longer under warranty, so I spent $90 on a new cartridge and replaced it myself. The new cartridge lasted about 3 weeks. I threw it all in the garbage and got the Fox. No issues with the Fox so far after 6 months.

mtbr member
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.
    Hi vegard,
    The 2016 al large came with a 60mm stem (no idea about the rise, looks like 0 degree but not sure), and a 760mm handle bar fwiw

dontcha?
    +1 for the Fox Transfer
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Regrettably I'm selling my Honzo, but the photos for the listing came out pretty well so I thought I might as well post it here.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb14542955.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb14542954.jpg
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling ľ epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi vegard,
    The 2016 al large came with a 60mm stem (no idea about the rise, looks like 0 degree but not sure), and a 760mm handle bar fwiw
    Thanks, was wondering what the stock stem was. Perhaps I should try going a bit longer rather than shorter. 45mm currently and it can feel a bit off sometimes.

Thanks, was wondering what the stock stem was. Perhaps I should try going a bit longer rather than shorter. 45mm currently and it can feel a bit off sometimes.
    IMO, and per Lopes' book, evidence of a stem that's too short is front wheel wandering on climbs due to your center of gravity being too far back. The TT on the Honzo is quite long, so short stems work well to compensate.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Nor­wegr
    Yep that's correct. I bought some cheap stems on ebay in 35 and 55mm, and a flat and riser bar. Going to play around a little to find out what fits me best. Not going crazy with the cheap stems on the bike, just going to ride around on the flats a little

My 2013 Honzo was perfect with a 50mm stem and 740 bar, but the reach was shorter.

Nor­wegr
    Changed the travel to 120 today, going for a testride with it tomorrow. Got a shaft for 130 aswell. Just looking to liven it up a bit compared to the 140 I used before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone know if the specs on Kona's site are actually right? The TT on an XL 2017 Honzo ST is 693mm?? That's crazy if that's right. The 2016 TT is listed as 665, which is already on the long side.

I believe they are correct.

I too believe they may have gone too long. I'm 6'7 with a short 40mm stem on an XL with 668mm TTL and feel like it's just right. I don't know how another 30mm of TTL would feel...
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Robtre

I too believe they may have gone too long. I'm 6'7 with a short 40mm stem on an XL with 668mm TTL and feel like it's just right. I don't know how another 30mm of TTL would feel...
    I just got an XL frame and it is loooooooong! Waiting on parts, will post up build pics soon. I lined up the frame with my 2015 Canfield N9, which is too short for me, the Honzo was way streched out.

EDIT: If my math is correct:
    Canfield N9 635mm TT, 50mm stem, Thomson setback seatpost -20mm= Net 665 Reach

New Honzo- 695mm TT, 50mm stem= Net 745 reach.

Nor­wegr
    If I ever have to make use of the lifetime warranty I fear whatever frame they have to replace it with will be too big for me. My small 2016 has 416 reach and it's rather stretched already.

EDIT: If my math is correct:
    Canfield N9 635mm TT, 50mm stem, Thomson setback seatpost -20mm= Net 665 Reach

New Honzo- 695mm TT, 50mm stem= Net 745 reach.

mtbr member
    If I ever have to make use of the lifetime warranty I fear whatever frame they have to replace it with will be too big for me. My small 2016 has 416 reach and it's rather stretched already.
    I have a 2013 small frame sitting around collecting dust for ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Honzbros,

I've put in a few rides on my new (2016) Honzo and I'm hear to report I'm sold on the 140mm fork set up. Thought it might be a bit much for some of my steeper/twistier climbs, but hit them pretty much all yesterday without trouble. I actually find the longer cockpit nice on tight ascents as I don't feel all cramped in there with the bars turning back on myself. The clincher was when I came into a tight switchback a bit too hot going down. Thought for sure I was gonna mess up the turn, but rolled through with total confidence.

140mm all the way unless you're riding full XC stuff, but if that's the case a slack 30lb steel hardtail probably isn't your thing.

This bike makes things feel easy. Going down feels slower, if that makes any sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Big Honzo DL but I seem to be sorta in between a medium and a small. I'm 5'6" and ride a small surly ogre and a small salsa fargo. I tried a santa cruz chameleon and was surprised I would be better off in a medium. It looks like the honzo has about a 1 cm longer reach and 1 cm higher stack. Does the 1cm make a big difference?

Nor­wegr
    There's no way I'd buy a medium [current] Kona at 5'7. My 2016 small honzo ti is pretty much at the very edge of what I can make do with and it's 1cm shorter in reach than the big honzo. I have short legs and a long torso.

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I have a 2013 small frame sitting around collecting dust for ya!
    Hehe, if the time comes I'd be all over that. My 2013 was the most fun I've had on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-004.jpg

Carbon before cleanse. I ride a 2012 steel Honzo, but I'm tossing this hoss around to write a tryout review for the venerable Dirt Rag -- I'll post it here when I wrap it up. Their official review of it comes out next month.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone have a rough or educated guess on how many Honzo's are made each year? Seems like they go quick and not a lot around for sale used. Just wondering...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2423 View Post
    Anyone have a rough or educated guess on how many Honzo's are made each year? Seems like they go quick and not a lot around for sale used. Just wondering...
    Not sure, but I started looking for my Honzo AL/DL last year around May and it was slim pickin's. Was able to get one but I had to do some searching.

I am actually listing the frame and fork (and some extra bits) for sale if you're looking.

The shop I purchased the bike from was able to locate one medium sized AL/DL for me, and I think it might have been one of the last few they had in stock (at Kona).

All the other Kona dealers I called in the area didn't have any left, or had some closeout 2015 Honzos but in the wrong size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What size are you looking for? I'm thinking about selling my 2016 ST in small.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	1132483

Carbon before cleanse. I ride a 2012 steel Honzo, but I'm tossing this hoss around to write a tryout review for the venerable Dirt Rag -- I'll post it here when I wrap it up. Their official review of it comes out next month.
    First Impression: Kona Honzo CR Trail DL ? Dirt Rag
    This one?

No idea, but the frames are usually cheap enough to hang onto rather than sell. It's not like they're going to degrade in ride quality over the years so that might be a factor in why they're scarce in the used market.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am an XL. I have a 2014 Honzo with matching green i9 wheels that I want to SS and looking for a steel framed 2016 to gear. I picked up a set of i9 torch wheels with orange spokes and a 10spd shimano xt cassette for extremely cheap and thought this would be a great combo. The 2017 hub spacing will not work or I would go that route. All my bikes are steel and at 210 pounds even my 2014 model is super comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

That's so crazy. I'm 6'4" and this is the first time I've ever wondered if a bike is too big for me.

mtbr member
    Do any of you guys with the XL Honzos have some photos of them

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm 6' on a large 2017 and it fits great, although I do like a long bike. I wouldn't get a large at your height unless you really prefer your bike in the smaller side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Do any of you guys with the XL Honzos have some photos of them
    Heres my XL Honzo ST 27.5+
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-18076924_10208808131029773_6802849922564371772_o.jpg

I'll never turn down a chance to show off my favorite (and only) bike!

XL Ti, with a pike dual position on the way to replace the revelation. Methinks the 68/66.5deg head angle combo should be ideal.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170220_154444.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterRiot View Post
    Heres my XL Honzo ST 27.5+
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18076924_10208808131029773_6802849922564371772_o.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	1133237
    That looks like Mount Laguna...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    2016 xl
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0827.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    it is. I was out there this morning.

mtbr member
    it is. I was out there this morning.
    Awesome. Here's my (size med) 27.5+ up there last weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics. Nice to see such a big 29er that looks low-slung and not gate-like

*6' 7" here, so very tempted. Shame Kona don't supply the ST frame to the UK.

Nor­wegr
    Thanks for the pics. Nice to see such a big 29er that looks low-slung and not gate-like

bikeman.com has cheapish global shipping. $550 for the frame and $114 for express shipping.
    Bikeman Kona 2017 Honzo ST Frame with SRAM Maxle, XL

mtbr member
    bikeman.com has cheapish global shipping. $550 for the frame and $114 for express shipping.
    Bikeman Kona 2017 Honzo ST Frame with SRAM Maxle, XL
    This is a very good point, thanks! It's a very nice frame, and I'm sure I read somewhere that Kona might not be producing the steel version after this year?

I'm 6'7 too, 36in inseam. The xl honzo is perfect.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Still want to sell it?

Nor­wegr
    This is a very good point, thanks! It's a very nice frame, and I'm sure I read somewhere that Kona might not be producing the steel version after this year?
    Forgot to mention that you would have to pay vat ontop of that as well. Guess it all depends on how much you want one.

Have you looked at kingdom or stanton bikes? Similar frames and are UK brands.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at kingdom or stanton bikes? Similar frames and are UK brands.
    There are a few good options about. I like the look of the Last Fastforward too, although the 64 degree head angle might be a bit much for me.

Honzo still seems to have the longest reach of any I've seen.

Bnerd
    OG Honzo!
    This bike wears its age well!

I've just put on some new shoes and swapped back to the F34 to get it ready for a season of shred.

As I was swapping my forks around I found out the my 34 is actually running 150mm of travel rather than the 140mm I thought it was running.

My 36 is set to 150mm and as I had both the 36 and 34 in my hands side by side I noticed both had the same amount of stanchion exposed. So, I got out the tape measure and, lo and behold, the 34 has been at 150mm this whole time!

The only upgrade I'll probably be making this season to the Honzo is a new drivetrain as the current one is nearing the end of its life.
    I'm thinking of going down to a 26T from the 28T I'm running currently. I'm finding my knees weren't liking me much last year after doing rides where I was grunting up big elevation.

mtbr member
    Still looks so dope, RideEverything! Can't wait to see your trail pics this year. They're always good!

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Still looks so dope, RideEverything! Can't wait to see your trail pics this year. They're always good!
    Thanks!

You ask and I shall deliver.
    I have just posted pics and a vid to the Some Honzo Ridin' thread. I'm going to keep my action/trail shots over there from now on.

Nor­wegr
    That's a pretty ride

Nice ride!

Our of curiosity, why use the fox 34 over the 36?
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Crank info please
    Hello, New to the forum and owner 2016 XL Honzo AL DL frame I bought about a year ago. I did a little bit of research before choosing the frame and road the Process a few times. I went with AL because I already own 2 steel Surly Karate Monkeys and because it was a low financial risk compared to Ti. I am excited about building this as my first frame to complete build. My first hangup is picking out a crank, stock it comes with a RaceFace Aeffect but I wouldn't mind going with something lighter or stiffer if I have options out there. I have considered trying to see if any older higher performance 24mm cranks are out there. hopefully someone will have some good leads. I plan on sharing more as the build goes and am sure I will have more questions in the future. Also, I read about 5 pages back and haven't seen this issue discussed yet.

Hi SickPigeon, welcome to the forum!

I'm not really sure which undiscussed issue you're referring to, but I'll throw in my 2c about cranks.

I went with sram, but wish I had gone shimano. Slx or XT cranks are light, strong, and the pinch-bolt system is great.

Not sure about pressfit, but threaded sram bottom brackets are literal garbage, far worse than the shimano stuff I had in the past.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    Nice ride!

Our of curiosity, why use the fox 34 over the 36?
    Thanks!

The 36 comes from my Banshee Prime.
    Last year I bookended my riding season with my Honzo. I started the season with it to hone my skills going in. And I finished it on my Honzo just for kicks.

As I was putting my Prime away for the season I thought I'd swap the 36 over to the Honzo to see how it rode.
    The bigger fork definitely upped the confidence! I was writing cheques on line choices that the back end of the Honzo was have a hard time trying to cash in!
    That being said having the 34 back on the bike hasn't slowed me down. On my season opening ride yesterday I rode one of the bigger rockf faces in the valley in the wet. About 2/3 of the way down I realized I couldn't use the brakes anymore as the wheels were starting to lock up and slide. So I got off the brakes completely and just pointed and held on! It all worked out! Thankfully!

With the 36 on the Honzo it wasn't as slacked out as I thought it would be. But it turns out that the 34 has been at 150mm all this time.

I have my 36 in at Vorsprung (the local suspension guru in Whistler) at the moment for a service and to have the travel bumped up to 160mm. I'm excited to see how that affects the ride on my Prime and then on the Honzo at the end of the season.

Bnerd
    Not sure about pressfit, but threaded sram bottom brackets are literal garbage, far worse than the shimano stuff I had in the past.
    I find it funny when people say stuff is garbage.

I've been running the same Sram GXP bottom bracket for 4 years. It's still spinning well with no play in it. I have literally done no maintenance to the BB.
    That reminds me, I should take the BB out and grease the threads up.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post

I've been running the same Sram GXP bottom bracket for 4 years. It's still spinning well with no play in it. I have literally done no maintenance to the BB.

Indeed, people say crankbrothers are shite too, but I did the first service to my eggbeaters in 4 years today. Just because.

Interesting. I seen to be able to kill two a year (or more), and it's not always the same side that goes. While it's not always dry here, I never hose down my bike and am generally careful about water etc.

Mine don't develop play, they start to seize up and make noise. Sometimes it's not noticeable until cranks are out, at which point it feels like the balls have been replaced with rocks.

When I had read about it, it seemed I wasn't alone. Lots of people trying to find other brands that fit a Sram axle etc. You also can't replace just the bearing races in a Sram BB, unlike Shimano (even though they're not meant for this).

I'm now on a Wheels Mfg BB made for replaceable races. Came with Enduro bearings, so far so good.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    Interesting. I seen to be able to kill two a year (or more), and it's not always the same side that goes. While it's not always dry here, I never hose down my bike and am generally careful about water etc.

Mine don't develop play, they start to seize up and make noise. Sometimes it's not noticeable until cranks are out, at which point it feels like the balls have been replaced with rocks.

When I had read about it, it seemed I wasn't alone. Lots of people trying to find other brands that fit a Sram axle etc. You also can't replace just the bearing races in a Sram BB, unlike Shimano (even though they're not meant for this).

I'm now on a Wheels Mfg BB made for replaceable races. Came with Enduro bearings, so far so good.
    Fair enough.

It's perspective and individual experiences that from our opinions.

I have heard third hand about the Sram BB's being shit but no one I know first hand has had any issues including myself.

And, I'll admit to hosing my bike down regularly in the Spring and Fall as it is usually quite wet during those times.
    Sometimes I even put the bike away dirty and wet after a ride! <The horror!>

But my BB so far has continued on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks! I will look into finding a XT set. Some reason I thought they didn't make 24mm cranks but Shimano makes more stuff than I can keep track of.

Nor­wegr
    Shimano only makes 24mm cranks. I'd keep the aeffect until it breaks, it's a sturdy crankset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Fair enough.

It's perspective and individual experiences that from our opinions.

I have heard third hand about the Sram BB's being shit but no one I know first hand has had any issues including myself.

And, I'll admit to hosing my bike down regularly in the Spring and Fall as it is usually quite wet during those times.
    Sometimes I even put the bike away dirty and wet after a ride! <The horror!>

But my BB so far has continued on.
    FWIW, I'm on my third SRAM BB since December on my commuter. Brought it in to a frame builder to see if the threads needed to be chased and faced--they didn't.
    Not to say my experience is indicative.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey fellas - always been a lurker on this thread but never really posted.
    I'm on a large 16' st and have been considering swapping it over to a 17' (large again) for the longer TT/ reach. I just feel a little cramped but don't really want to go to a longer stem (i'm running a 50mm currently). For what its worth I'm ~6'2 but have kind of a long torso for my height.
    My pickle is that my current wheelset is non boost. I was figuring I would just pick up a set of the 3mm spacers for either side (don't want to redish the wheel since I have heard I9s don't fare well with that). So how awful would the chainline be running a non boost wheel out back with a boost frame? And would I be able to keep my non-boost crank or will the chainring rub the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by zach17 View Post
    I'm on a large 16' st and have been considering swapping it over to a 17' (large again) for the longer TT/ reach. I just feel a little cramped but don't really want to go to a longer stem (i'm running a 50mm currently). For what its worth I'm ~6'2 but have kind of a long torso for my height.
    My pickle is that my current wheelset is non boost. I was figuring I would just pick up a set of the 3mm spacers for either side (don't want to redish the wheel since I have heard I9s don't fare well with that). So how awful would the chainline be running a non boost wheel out back with a boost frame? And would I be able to keep my non-boost crank or will the chainring rub the frame?
    You may consider going to a '15 or' 16 XL instead? Same Geo except TT length.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You may consider going to a '15 or' 16 XL instead? Same Geo except TT length.
    I thought about that, but didn't want the extra seat tube just in case I ever decide to throw on a dropper. My legs are a little out of proportion with my torso length so I dont have a ton of seat post sticking out as it is - would be very short on an XL frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm running a non-boost XT crankset on a 2017 frame no problem, there's still plenty of clearance with a 32 tooth ring.
    I'm not so sure about the 3mm spacers in the rear though, I think it would move the cassette over too far and give you a crappy chainline in the low gears. I'm running the boostinator kit on my hope hubs without any problems, you're probably best talking with your mechanic if you have doubts of it working on your i9's though.

I thought about that, but didn't want the extra seat tube just in case I ever decide to throw on a dropper. My legs are a little out of proportion with my torso length so I dont have a ton of seat post sticking out as it is - would be very short on an XL frame
    Ah, you're correct. The earlier Honzo XLs, I believe, had the same STL as the L (the XL was called a "20 Long" back then).
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ah, you're correct. The earlier Honzo XLs, I believe, had the same STL as the L (the XL was called a "20 Long" back then).
    Yeah, the OG Honzo had the 20 long. I actually had one briefly but the standover kind of bothered me on it - hence the switch to the 16'

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    I'm running a non-boost XT crankset on a 2017 frame no problem, there's still plenty of clearance with a 32 tooth ring.
    I'm not so sure about the 3mm spacers in the rear though, I think it would move the cassette over too far and give you a crappy chainline in the low gears. I'm running the boostinator kit on my hope hubs without any problems, you're probably best talking with your mechanic if you have doubts of it working on your i9's though.
    The one mechanic I spoke with said that using the boosinator kit would require a redish since it bumps it over 6mm, but that I9 doesn't play nice with the redish. Ive never messed with my wheels or wheel building so I don't know enough to question that.
    I imagine the chainline with the 3mm spacers would be pretty bad - I guess I could always have the wheel rebuilt around a boost hub. Although Im not sure how much sense that really makes

Go faster!
    The one mechanic I spoke with said that using the boosinator kit would require a redish since it bumps it over 6mm, but that I9 doesn't play nice with the redish. Ive never messed with my wheels or wheel building so I don't know enough to question that.
    I imagine the chainline with the 3mm spacers would be pretty bad - I guess I could always have the wheel rebuilt around a boost hub. Although Im not sure how much sense that really makes
    If you're​ running a non boost xt crank you could prob get away with a 12x3mm spacer on either side of your hub and a 3mm disc spacer. Assuming your wheel is already dished properly, I do not see a need to re-dish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrowe View Post
    If you're​ running a non boost xt crank you could prob get away with a 12x3mm spacer on either side of your hub and a 3mm disc spacer. Assuming your wheel is already dished properly, I do not see a need to re-dish.

Bikerumor did a better job explaining......
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/12/31...2mm-rear-hubs/

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    [QUOTE=tkrowe;13144525]If you're​ running a non boost xt crank you could prob get away with a 12x3mm spacer on either side of your hub and a 3mm disc spacer. Assuming your wheel is already dished properly, I do not see a need to re-dish.

Ive got a RF crank - but its not a boost one. You don't think the chainline would be too terrible?

Go faster!
    [QUOTE=zach17;13144579]
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrowe View Post

Ive got a RF crank - but its not a boost one. You don't think the chainline would be too terrible?
    I don't see much need for concern. If it were my bike, I'd give it a try.

Nor­wegr
    Anyone noticed a difference going to a shorter crank? I hit stuff with my 175mms quite often and it gets annoying and a tad dangerous at times. But I don't know if 10mm of difference is going to be all that noticeable.

mtbr member
    Anyone noticed a difference going to a shorter crank? I hit stuff with my 175mms quite often and it gets annoying and a tad dangerous at times. But I don't know if 10mm of difference is going to be all that noticeable.
    Hej Vegard,
    I switched from 175 to 170 last fall, got a bit fewer strikes especially when traversing on narrow trails. Didn't notice any drawbacks with regards to pedalling efficiency, so I stuck to the change. I ride the 2013 honzo with the stock 120 revelations, but with 2.5 minion dhfs front and 2.3 dhfs rear. so BB height is probably a bit higher than stock.
    165 cranks though, or shorter, would be tempting as well. which ones are you considering?

mtbr member
    Have a 16 with sub 12" BB and 170s. The trails down here are full of rocks and roots so you cant avoid pedal strikes. At that low of a BB, youre better served learning to time your pedaling as 5/10 mm will make no difference. You could always go up in fork travel if you havent already.

My P111 has 175s and hits about the same amount of sh*t as the honzo with a higher BB.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Nor­wegr
    I was considering going to 165mm since I lowered my 140mm pike to 130mm, might even go 120mm if it turns out to be fun. But the lowered bb is kind of worrying since my 175 cranks were hitting the ground a bit often.

mtbr member
    Painted my old school SLX crank and added a decal from slik graphics. Made a huge difference and saved me money from upgrading the crank just for looks.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20170420_180540.jpg
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Robtre

Oval chainrings heads up!!!!

I am building a 2017, an oval 34t Wolftooth chainring will not clear chainstays, and I mocked up a round 34 and wasn't really confident in that either so I backed it up to a 32t round.

Really bummed about it, I wanted to try oval.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    Awesome. Here's my (size med) 27.5+ up there last weekend.

Nice!

What tire and tire size do you have in the rear? I had a 2.80 Nobby Nic but had to drop down to a 2.60 because it was rubbing.

mtbr member
    Nice!

What tire and tire size do you have in the rear? I had a 2.80 Nobby Nic but had to drop down to a 2.60 because it was rubbing.
    2.8 Maxxis Rekon on 38mm internal width rims. It actually measures 2.6in wide at the widest point with about 20psi (as does the 2.8 DHF in the front). It has 3mm clearance to the yoke on both sides and I've never had an issue with rubbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am building a 2017, an oval 34t Wolftooth chainring will not clear chainstays, and I mocked up a round 34 and wasn't really confident in that either so I backed it up to a 32t round.

Which crank are you using? Boost or not? I'm running an xt non boost crank with a 32 round ring and there's plenty of space. If you have a direct mount type of crank you probably need the boost spaced chainring.

mtbr member

which crank. you can shim both sram an shimano cranksets a couple of mm
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake