Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber View Post
    Hey all, great bikes! Just a couple questions though. Did you all start with the frame and build up from there or did any of you buy the fully built bike and tweak it as you saw fit. Is there a reason not to go with the built bike from Kona (i.e. cheap component spec, etc.)

Second question, what led you to pick the Honzo over the other bikes in the genre. I'm currently considering an AM29 for my next bike and have narrowed it down to the Honzo, Paradox, or new Mason. The Stache from Trek may make the short list if the reviews are positive, however I doubt they'll have a build as nice as the Mason (Fox 34 Talus, KS dropper, X9) for a similar price if not more.

Thanks again.
    I was considering the same bikes, but sub a Yelli for the Paradox. I kept going back to the Kona due to 1) steel and 2) ability to SS.

Stache has LONG CS, so it was out as soon as I saw specs.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The Mason complete has an awesome spec for $2100 (current price on Jensonusa.com). I don't think any complete bike (Honzo, TransAM 29, Paradox) can touch it.
    Diamondback was doing a promo to win several new models for the year. If you entered, and didnt win, they sent you a code to pick up the bike from Jensonusa.com for a significant amount less than the price listed for all parties on Jenson. That had me thinking for a good while on the Mason...

Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Frame up for me.

That Mason is a sick build for the price. Pretty slack head angle though...

For that price, it might be worth buying and riding it. Once you've got some time on it, you could pick up another frame if you wanted (ie - Honzo) and probably still come out way ahead price-wise.
    To the geo - It was pointed out elsewhere on the forum that with the off set of the fork, the trail numbers with the head angle were actually very similar to a 68* head angle with a 95mm Fox 32. It is slacker, but it should still handle better than the head angle suggest...

With that said, that was going to be my plan as well, but I ended up deciding to go Frame + fork on the 2012 Honzo from The Path, and I have that on its way to me now.

The issue I was having was the seatpost wouldnt fit without a shim (and I dont want to shim a dropper post) and I dont think I really need it in my terrain.

Cranks - I have some E13 in the parts bin.
    Fork - the big win, but with the other issues...
    Wheels - Already have some King hubs in the parts bin for a build for the bike
    Cockpit - planning on Chromag or Atlas bars (depending on height needed - already have a set of each on other bikes, so I know I like em), but the stem would be fine.
    Drivetrain - would definitely keep the rest
    Brakes - I am an Elixir fan, but I have my eyes on some Hope or maybe the new Shimano brakes this time around.

So basically I would be buying the Mason complete for the fork and shifting components, then need to add an adapter to get the King hubs down to 15mm, and end up selling almost all of the parts from the bike anyways...

It will probably take the rest of the summer for me to build the Honzo, but the hunting of parts is a small thrill in my simple mind.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...

2012 Honzo on the way. Called the path after a week of emails, and decided on the Frame + Fork + Headset combo from them. The couldnt sell me a complete due to dealer agreements (not that I wanted the complete anyways, I would be changing most of the parts...) so they gave me a price on the combo I couldnt turn down.

I really like the 2013 lower standover (though it would not be much), but the cost of powder coat and new stickers, plus the 142mm adapter for my rear hubs kept me away from that.

Baby Bear is in the house
    The Mason complete has an awesome spec for $2100 (current price on Jensonusa.com). I don't think any complete bike (Honzo, TransAM 29, Paradox) can touch it.
    Kona Taro? Granted the spec isn't as good, but at an MSRP of $1300 it's the best value complete bike aggro 29er HT right now. Isn't the 2013 Honzo still at $1800?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Pretty slack head angle though...
    Too slack IMO. I can't imagine how it would ride uphill; the travel-adjust fork might be a must. This is all conjecture of course
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    Oh yeah...

2012 Honzo on the way. Called the path after a week of emails, and decided on the Frame + Fork + Headset combo from them. The couldnt sell me a complete due to dealer agreements (not that I wanted the complete anyways, I would be changing most of the parts...) so they gave me a price on the combo I couldnt turn down.

I really like the 2013 lower standover (though it would not be much), but the cost of powder coat and new stickers, plus the 142mm adapter for my rear hubs kept me away from that.
    I find it odd that they couldn't sell a complete. Seems like it would be the other way around. Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Too slack IMO. I can't imagine how it would ride uphill; the travel-adjust fork might be a must. This is all conjecture of course
    I'm not convinced by the conventional guidance that a slack HA=poor climbing and vice versa. I find it to be more stable and easier to track stand in super steep technical climbs. Could be that the old XC type geo was usually coupled with long stems, while Honzo geo is designed for short stems, effectively reaching the same effect. BTW I ride the now discontinued and forever classic Steely. Best geo ever!!

mtbr member
    Diamondback was doing a promo to win several new models for the year. If you entered, and didnt win, they sent you a code to pick up the bike from Jensonusa.com for a significant amount less than the price listed for all parties on Jenson. That had me thinking for a good while on the Mason...
    Out of curiosity how much was it after the coupon? I entered the contests but won nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    I find it odd that they couldn't sell a complete. Seems like it would be the other way around. Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case?
    Idk but I tried purchasing a Santa Cruz Heckler frame from them this weekend and spoke with the general manager over the phone about it. They bought a couple of different frames from the recent SC clearance sale, but no Hecklers have shipped to them. And SC cancelled my order as well. But he said if they did have it, I would have to have someone local come in and purchase the frame and they would have to ship it themselves too. The Path could not ship it for me which I found weird as they were very anxious to accept a deposit over the phone via credit card on the frame. But due to SC policy, they can't sell over the phone. Too bad, cause The Path has some killer deals on clearance bikes if you follow them on FB.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    I'm not convinced by the conventional guidance that a slack HA=poor climbing and vice versa. I find it to be more stable and easier to track stand in super steep technical climbs. Could be that the old XC type geo was usually coupled with long stems, while Honzo geo is designed for short stems, effectively reaching the same effect. BTW I ride the now discontinued and forever classic Steely. Best geo ever!!
    I think it is part of the dealer agreement for the brand. I dont recall, but it seems like Wheel World used to be the same way, completes were in store only, but they did clearance frames online. Been a while since I looked...

Out of curiosity how much was it after the coupon? I entered the contests but won nothing.
    Sub $1700 shipped. That was the dilemma with using it as a parts bike, a smoking deal on the bike...

mtbr member
    Sub $1700 shipped. That was the dilemma with using it as a parts bike, a smoking deal on the bike...
    That's a screaming deal even if you don't want the Mason frame, sell it for $600-700 and still have an awesome build with the frame of your choice. As long as it's 142x12 though.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    That's a screaming deal even if you don't want the Mason frame, sell it for $600-700 and still have an awesome build with the frame of your choice. As long as it's 142x12 though.
    All about your needs on a build kit. I would not be keeping very much, and have an investment of $1700 until I could recoup. Or I could use that on other parts.

I may still try to get it, have not decided just yet. I dont think I could get anywhere near $600-700 for the frame though, not with the Yelli at that price, and it being proven for all this time.

Wheels are no good for me, dont need the 142, but I have King hubs to get laced up anyways.
    No need for cranks or cockpit either.

Etc, etc.

We shall see. It would certainly help with the credit card points!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What size honzo frame are the 5'11" guys riding? I ride a 19.5 Fuel ex and a 19 Fisher Bigsur, I would tend to think the 18 would be ok, but I don't want it to feel too short.

mtbr member
    What size honzo frame are the 5'11" guys riding? I ride a 19.5 Fuel ex and a 19 Fisher Bigsur, I would tend to think the 18 would be ok, but I don't want it to feel too short.
    I'm just over 6' tall and the 18" fits me fine. I put a slightly longer stem than stock on but I didnt feel cramped at all with the shorter stem.
    I ride a 19.5" on Trek's as well.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Just got an 18", and I am 5'11" as well.

Can you find reach/stack info on your current bikes to compare?

If not, at least the TT will will you an idea

mtbr member

If not, at least the TT will will you an idea
    One thing to bare in mind is with the slack HA and super steep SA, the ETT doesn't appear to be as long in fit as it does on paper.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    2012 Kona Honzo Mountain Bike | eBay

Very interesting combo with the Hammerschmidt and those tires.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    ^^
    I would agree eurospek. I'm 5'6" if I stand up really straight so ETT on the Honzo would indicate a 16" frame for me.

I purchased the 16" to build up a couple months back and it's too cramped unless I run a 70-80mm stem which impacts handling. It's never felt quite right.

I had a chance to ride a stock 18" last week the cockpit felt great and the handling was spot on for me. Needless to say I'm on the lockout for an 18" Honzo frame to replace the 16".
    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2012 Kona Honzo Mountain Bike | eBay

Very interesting combo with the Hammerschmidt and those tires.
    Speaking of the Hammerschimdt, is anyone using one with their Honzo? Or maybe even a Schlumpf?

This probably would be my next big upgrade if I could find a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    Speaking of the Hammerschimdt, is anyone using one with their Honzo? Or maybe even a Schlumpf?

This probably would be my next big upgrade if I could find a good deal.
    Members Drew M and Julian Peters were both running the Hammer at one point on there Honzos.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im looking to build a Honzo and was hoping to get some info from the experts. I will be building it on the 20l frame since I am 6'5" and a clyde 260-290 depending on the month...actually lost 25 so im on my way down...ha!

I havent decided on the 2012 frame or the 2013? I dont know what the price difference would be just yet? I actually like the look of the 13 frame and it comes with the 142 x 12 already. Here is what I was thinking so far....let me know if I am way off base.....this would be my first bike build and I want it to be bulletproof. Im ok with spending money as long as its worth it. I road bike and am new to MTN biking so pretty much a noob.

Frame : 20L hopefully this will be big enough...35.5 inseam and am proportional to height.
    Fork: Fox Talas 34...open to suggestion
    Wheels: Chris Kings/Hadley with Stans Flow Ex 36 front and rear
    Tires: ??
    Seatpost: Thompson
    Seat Collar: ??
    Strem: was thinking Thompson 70 ...open to suggestions?
    Handlebars: something 750 - 800.....open to suggestions?
    Headset: CK
    BB: CK
    Drivetrain/ Cranks : this is were I think I need the most help. Im not sure on beefy cranks or gearing that will help my fat ass get up climbs since it will be a 1x9 or 10? Any suggestions as well as chain guides? Always heard SLX cranks were good? 30-32t up front?
    Brakes : XT 180 rear and 210 front
    Last edited by sheranian; 08-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    The 20L should work great for you.

Here's what I can tell you, fork wise, get a Fox 34, but Talas travel feature really isn't needed. Had one before, never used it at 110mm, too many pedal strikes. Plus the Talas feature likes to stop working and you're dead in the water with only 110mm travel.

If you can wait a bit, the new X-Fusion Trace fork looks great too, 34mm stanhions, 140mm travel, and looks to be a great alternative to the $$$ Fox stuff. Even a Rockshox Revelation 140 might work for you.

Tires, whatever you get, definitely go tubeless. I would either go with a 2.4/2.25 Maxxis Ardents, or the Schwalbe Hans Dampf but it's going to get tight in the back with the 2.35 tire. I'm plenty satisfied with my 2.4/2.25 Ardent combo.

Seat collar if you're looking for a quick-release, get a Chromag QR, best I've used. No slippage, works smoothly, and very comfortable to use. I would also get a Chromag Ranger stem with Chromag OSX bars, both are bombproof and look great. The bars are quite long at 785mm. Or if you don't like the look of the Chromag stem, stick with the Thomson X4 stuff. I'm using the Thomson X4 50mm and it's great as well. More bar clamping area than the Chromag Ranger too. If you seek some lower rise bars than 25mm, Raceface Atlas FR bars are great as well.

Also I'd recommend ditching the Thomson post in favor of a dropper post like a Rockshox Reverb. Definitely a game changer and it's the best $300 you can buy for your frame.

Cranks, no point in getting anything beefier or newer than Shimano SLX M665 cranks and ditching the stock rings for an E13 Guidering chainring. The cranks are plenty stiff, cheap, and look great. You might have trouble spec'ing a 30T chainring without some crank modification or dropping $$$ on a chainring.

I'm running 1x9 with a 12-36 cassette and love the spread. Had a 11-34 before and couldn't make some of the climbs. The 12-36 is perfect. And I really wouldn't gain much by going with 1x10 as the gearing is almost the same in the bigger cogs, and I'm rarely hauling ass to be down on the cassette to see gains from the 11-36 10 spd cassette.

As for guides, I'm running one without a bashguard and has been good so far. Depending on where you live, you might not need a guide with a bash as well. I like the MRP Lopes SL or the E13 TRS+, but both are way overpriced for what they really are. But no other options of keeping the chain on.

Grips, personal choice really. I've been on ODI Rogues for years as I like a thicker grip, but recently switched to ESI Chunky foam grips and couldn't be happier. They are definitely more comfortable on the longer rides and while they are not lock-on grips, these don't move at all. And I was very skeptical about trying them for years.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Euro...thats a big help! I will have to look at that fork...are you running the Fox Float? Also, have you had any problems with your Reverb post? I have read mixed reviews...but I know how that goes. I hear the gravity dropper is good for the Clydes...its not the best looking though...ha! I really like the Chromag stuff so will go that route for bars and maybe Ranger stem....if not X4.

Also, since you know your stuff any other frames I should be looking at for my size/weight? I like the look of the 2 souls stuff but who knows how to get one? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Thanks Euro...thats a big help! I will have to look at that fork...are you running the Fox Float? Also, have you had any problems with your Reverb post? I have read mixed reviews...but I know how that goes. I hear the gravity dropper is good for the Clydes...its not the best looking though...ha! I really like the Chromag stuff so will go that route for bars and maybe Ranger stem....if not X4.

Also, since you know your stuff any other frames I should be looking at for my size/weight? I like the look of the 2 souls stuff but who knows how to get one? Thanks again!
    I am running the Fox 34 Float. It's good but I've always wondered how it stacks up to the 2012 Rockshox Revelation RL that came stock on this bike, and same fork on the 2013 Honzo. I still want to try one and compare if the 34mm stanchion/15 QR axle vs 32mm stanchion/20QR Maxle debate has much truth to it, especially for where I ride, singletrack of the Midwest.

The Reverb has held up extremely well for me. I'm 230 lbs on a good day and it's been problem-free since day 1 (knocks on wood). Only thing that bothered me was constant creaking, but took me half a season to finally track it down. SRAM recommends using carbon slip paste instead of regular lube on the post when you insert into the frame, and that carbon gritty paste cause creaking so bad it was annoying. Now a thin layer of lube, the Chromag QR clamp tight, and my post is noise-free, doesn't slip down, and works smoothly up and down (even though SRAM says they are very finicky when it comes to seat clamp pressure and it cycling smoothly).

The only other frame you might want to check out is the Chromag Surface ($1500), but sizing is more similar to the regular 20" Honzo and really expensive. Plus no sliders longer chainstays. There really isn't any other frame that I would want to be on these days, except somehow maybe drop a pound off mine.

I did look at the 2Souls Slim-Jim/Quarterhorse frame and been emailing back and forth with 2Souls in Germany this winter when I first saw it. But the XL size looks small, definitely close to the Transition TrasnAM that I had previously and was way cramped. As for the XXL Slim-Jim or QH frame, I've been told there is problems getting the proper Reynold tubing long enough for the top tube if I recall correctly and was told something might come out by the end of the summer. Well summer is coming to an end and I haven't heard anything and 2Souls isn't answering emails anymore either. Last time I spoke with them, they said they have other important projects on the table (like a 650b frame), so I'm not really expecting anything to happen there this year, or even next as I doubt XXL sizing will make it worth their while to make. That would really be the only other frame I would want to have, but their headtube on the XXL seems super long, especially when I'm so comfortable on the Honzo with a much shorter HT.

To sum it up, you can't go wrong with a Honzo, anyway you slice it.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sounds like the Honzo will work great... Thanks again for all the suggestions! I will look into the reverb I think it wiill be a nice add. Do you have any opinion in the Bling Ring set up? I was thinking I would do a 30 or 32t Bling Ring with AKA cranks. Would this be as durable? Also, do I have to use a SRAM BB or could I still use a CK?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have just installed a SRAM X9 crankset and 28t MRP Bling ring on my Honzo and it absolutely rips! I was running SLX AM cranks for the last year and was really stoked on them. I was nervous about running SRAM cranks at 112kg but so far have been very impressed! I run 1x10 with a modified e13 ls1 chainguide and 11-36 cassette. My local trails are steep tight single track with rocky rooty downhills. With a 32t chainring I gased out on the climbs and only used the top half of the cassette. With the 28t I can clear most climbs and now use the entire cassette during a ride. 28t on a 1x10 29er is an awesome option if your local tracks are steep and rough. Plus the the Bling ring is BLING!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    South J that's good to hear.. That's probably what I will get an run the micro MRP guide. I guess I'm
    Still confused if I hav to get a different BB to run that set up? Will a CK BB work or do I have to get a press fit BB30 to run SRAM cranks and bling ring?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Honzo has a standard 73mm BB so you run can a standard SRAM GXP bottom bracket (comes with SRAM cranks) That is how my bike is set up and I feel no point in spending extra when the BB comes with the cranks. As our trails are wet a lot of the time BB's get chewed up, so when it blows out I will upgrade to a Hope BB with a $15 SRAM GXP adapter. I believe Chris King has a similar adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Honzo Rubber

Hi Honzolitas:

Building up my own Honzo... can't wait to show you pics! It will be ready at the end of the month.

I already have one Bronson 29 TCS and loved it on my old bike so I plan on using it as it's barely ridden. I'm wondering what would be a good companion tire... for spring, summer and fall riding in New England. I am split between Wierwolf F / Bronson R or Bronson F/Moto R.

Semi related- are WTB Wierwolf 2.5 29's actually 2.5" wide? the interwebs say no.

I am quite partial to WTB. I'd take other suggestions too.

Bnerd

Not enough pr0n!

2.5 pages without a single pic! And, the few pages before that in this thread are only lightly sprinkled with pics!

C'mon, more bike pr0n is needed!
    Here, let me add my Honzo with some of the changes.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0037.jpg

The most recent change are the matchy matchy blue ODI Rogue grips.
    The next change/upgrade is Truvativ AKA cranks/GXP BB, 28T MRP Bling Ring and the MRP Micro G2 SL guide. Currently have the cranks but still trying to source the other two components.

I'm still enjoying the Honzo ride.
    I push the bike hard and I'm a heavy giant who doesn't shy away from silly gnar lines.

The stock Revelation fork is pretty good. However, It does let me know when I push it too hard. There is some pretty spectacular torsional flex to it!
    I'll admit that I do ride the components beyond there intended usage!
    Also 29" wheels have flex no matter what and I can feel that when pushing them hard through corners - when I can actually get the wheels to lean over! Big wheels do not like to lay over through hard cornering!
    I can also feel the wheels flexing when charging through big tech lines and I need to change from the line I'm on to a new one.

These aren't complaints. Just observations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    2.5 pages without a single pic! And, the few pages before that in this thread are only lightly sprinkled with pics!

C'mon, more bike pr0n is needed!
    Here, let me add my Honzo with some of the changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0037.jpg 
Views:	1547 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	722165

The most recent change are the matchy matchy blue ODI Rogue grips.
    The next change/upgrade is Truvativ AKA cranks/GXP BB, 28T MRP Bling Ring and the MRP Micro G2 SL guide. Currently have the cranks but still trying to source the other two components.

I'm still enjoying the Honzo ride.
    I push the bike hard and I'm a heavy giant who doesn't shy away from silly gnar lines.

The stock Revelation fork is pretty good. However, It does let me know when I push it too hard. There is some pretty spectacular torsional flex to it!
    I'll admit that I do ride the components beyond there intended usage!
    Also 29" wheels have flex no matter what and I can feel that when pushing them hard through corners - when I can actually get the wheels to lean over! Big wheels do not like to lay over through hard cornering!
    I can also feel the wheels flexing when charging through big tech lines and I need to change from the line I'm on to a new one.

These aren't complaints. Just observations.
    The MRP Bling ring and the AKA are a very nice combo. I'm running them on my SS Honzo, which I just took out for its first spin this evening. All I can say is that the Honzo is awesome. I am suprised how fun it was, even though I was just riding gravel and some old horse trails. I plan on letting it loose on some real singletrack soon.

Bnerd

Warranty Wheel Update

I just had the stock wheel/freehub replaced!
    It only took, what, 3 months!
    F'ing redonkulous!!!

I just happen to go by my shop today and they had the new freehub installed. They told me the part came in yesterday afternoon.

The only reason the part actually came in is because I've have been politely emailing Kona over the last 3 weeks and explaining to them how f'ing mad I've been with how slow this has been dealt with.

What a joke.
    If I hadn't bought a new wheelset my Honzo would have been sitting in the shed unridden for the last 3.5 months.

My take away from this experience is hope that nothing ever needs to be warrantied!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Ride

I'm in the process of getting all the parts for mine.... Also ordered the 2013 Honzo so waiting on it as well. I just got my AKA cranks last night with the bling ring ... Can't wait!

Question for you? I am stuck on which fork to get? I want to stay at 140 and 34 but you know what that limits your options to Fox unless Fusion comes out with the Trace.... But haven't heard much about it? Being a big guy 6' 5" and between 260 -290 depending on the diet I don't want anything that won't handle my weight for stiffness. Do you have any opinions? How heavy are you and would you stick with your Revelation?

Btw- I had an old 26" Kona Manomano that needed warranty and it looks like the company hasn't changed since 10 years ago....... They are slow! Had to hand it to them they took care of it eventually.

mtbr member
    Hey Ride

I'm in the process of getting all the parts for mine.... Also ordered the 2013 Honzo so waiting on it as well. =
    =.
    How much is the 2013 frameset? Same as last years?

As for the forks, I will soon tell you the difference between the Fox 34 and 2012 Revelation RL 140 for a guy my size, 6'4" and 235 lbs. I ended up buying a new take-off fork of a SC Tallboy LT last week and it's arriving today. If I'll like the findings, the Fox 34 will most definitely be for sale, as the price difference between I paid for the two is .

Also it will drop about half a pound off my build as the first Revelation RLT (was always curious how it rode lol) I sold before the Fox 34 was only a few over 4 lbs. The Fox 34 is closer to 4.5 lbs. And the 2012 Rockshox stuff comes with the 20mm Maxle, unlike the 2013 stuff, 15QR only.

Going to try new bars as well, with the Chromags, I have them slammed on the stem with no spacers, I still want to go lower. Picking up a set of Raceface Atlas FR too, 13mm rise vs. 25mm on the Chromags.

Thought about upgrading brakes from Shimano SLX M665 to XT M785, but I just can't commit the $300+ on the upgrade, especially since my SLX have been trouble free since day 1. I can't say the same for the new XT stuff after reading reviews here. Maybe that will be a next year purchase if I can get a good deal on a set.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Euro

The price I was quoted was $15 cheaper than last years.... Go figure! Plus I didn't have to buy the 142 drop outs!

Cool let me know on the forks what you think. That trace you told me about looks perfect but it doesn't look like much is happening with it? Have you ever though about doing the Fox 36 and doing the mod to lower it? I guess that would be overkill but it would be stiff!

I went with the new Easton 35 carbon bars and stem to try. I used to work for Easton so I'm partial to their stuff. Should be here today along with my vault pedals!!

mtbr member
    Hey Euro

The price I was quoted was $15 cheaper than last years.... Go figure! Plus I didn't have to buy the 142 drop outs!

Cool let me know on the forks what you think. That trace you told me about looks perfect but it doesn't look like much is happening with it? Have you ever though about doing the Fox 36 and doing the mod to lower it? I guess that would be overkill but it would be stiff!

I went with the new Easton 35 carbon bars and stem to try. I used to work for Easton so I'm partial to their stuff. Should be here today along with my vault pedals!!
    You went through a bike shop or found it online? I take it you went for the new 20 size right? 26" ETT?

The X-Fusion Trace does look perfect but they are sure slow with releasing it. All I'm curious is its price, if it's anything like the Fox 34, it better be a great fork, but looking at their pricing, they are more on par with Rockshox instead of $$$ Fox.

Here's some Euro Bike info on it.

And the Havoc 35 is nice stuff indeed. I'd be open to trying it, but that requires a new stem.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes I went with the new biggest size I think they call it 22. Ya we will see on the new Easton stuff... If I don't like it I will sell them for those Chromag bars you turned me on to. I bought mine from Bikeman. I will call X-Fusion today and see if they have any updates.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see this build.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I called them to order the new 2013.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can someone please tell me the headset I would need? I was thinking CK or CC 40. Does it matter on whether it's a tapered fork or not? Sorry prob dumb questions!!

mtbr member
    Can someone please tell me the headset I would need? I was thinking CK or CC 40. Does it matter on whether it's a tapered fork or not? Sorry prob dumb questions!!
    IMO no sense in going greater than a CC40 headset. Anything higher is pure bling factor.

Here's the CC40 you need for a tapered fork, and yes, headsets differ (lower cups) if for tapered or straight forks.

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC44 1.5" Lower Assembly

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Upper Assembly
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cane Creek has a nifty headset finder: Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Headset Fit Finder

I purchased the top and bottom cups seperately.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying a new take-off fork of a SC Tallboy LT last week and it's arriving today. If I'll like the findings, the Fox 34 will most definitely be for sale, as the price difference between I paid for the two is .
    Score!!!!

UPS just dropped off the package and to my surprise, the fork is not a Revelation RL (basic damper, comes stock on most 2012 builds like the Kona Honzo, Satori, or SC Tallboy), but in fact it's the higher-end RCT3 damper. Quite a nice surprise to say the least, as the reviews for it have been stellar. And black too. Aftermarket RCT3 Revelation only came in Dual Position 140/110 if you wanted black, white for non-travel 140mm.

I'll mount this fork and post a comparison review as soon as I decide on new bar color.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice!! Let us know what you think!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What size Kona honzo for someone thats 5'11?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

the air is thin up here..
    Score!!!!
    I'll mount this fork and post a comparison review as soon as I decide on new bar color.
    Looking forward to the comparison!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    Cane Creek has a nifty headset finder: Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Headset Fit Finder

I purchased the top and bottom cups seperately.
    They finally added the Honzo to the list... except it gives you the wrong bottom cup! They say EC34, when it's an EC44 that you need.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I saw that as well and that's why I asked!

Bnerd
    Hey Ride

I'm in the process of getting all the parts for mine.... Also ordered the 2013 Honzo so waiting on it as well. I just got my AKA cranks last night with the bling ring ... Can't wait!

Question for you? I am stuck on which fork to get? I want to stay at 140 and 34 but you know what that limits your options to Fox unless Fusion comes out with the Trace.... But haven't heard much about it? Being a big guy 6' 5" and between 260 -290 depending on the diet I don't want anything that won't handle my weight for stiffness. Do you have any opinions? How heavy are you and would you stick with your Revelation?

Btw- I had an old 26" Kona Manomano that needed warranty and it looks like the company hasn't changed since 10 years ago....... They are slow! Had to hand it to them they took care of it eventually.
    I'm 6'6", 250ish geared up.

My opinion of the stock Revelation is good. I've bumped the travel up to 140mm from the stock 120mm.
    The fork does what it's supposed to do when it's set-up correctly. I run the pressure in the fork so as to have a very supple ride in the top half of the stroke.
    I've found that this fork ramps up nicely so as to not have the clanging/harsh bottom out. I do bottom the fork out but really only when I'm riding it well beyond it's intended style of riding!

The Revelation does flex.
    But, I think that it is a combination of the smaller stanchion size and large wheels as well as my weight and hard riding style. It really only flexes noticeably when I'm riding trails that have fast, steep, twisty, techy descents.
    Yes, the flex is there but it doesn't bother me.

Would I stick with the Revelation? Sure!
    Unless someone gives me another fork free of charge I'm happy to continue riding this fork!
    Upgrade-itis is a dangerous thing!
    I am also a constant maintainer. I love pulling things apart to service them! I have RS Totems as well. Both the RS forks get a full oil change, removed lowers, cleaned seals and detailing every 2 weeks.
    The biggest reason for the regular service is because of the amount of time I spend on my bikes. My full time gig is as an mtb coach. And, on my days off I... ride my bikes! So, from the snow melting to snow falling I spend a lot of time on bikes! And need them to run well.

As for the warranty thing, yeah, it was dealt with. But only after me prodding them regularly.

mtbr member
    ^ What's a good starting pressure for the Revelation? Seeing as we are almost the same weight.

And I still can't believe the weight of the Revelation that I got today, threw it on the scale, it's under 4 lbs. 3 lbs 15 oz to be exact, with a starnut and 7.5" steerer. The Fox 34 Float is almost 4.6 lbs with a shorter steerer. It feels so light!
    konahonzo

Bnerd
    ^ What's a good starting pressure for the Revelation? Seeing as we are almost the same weight.

And I still can't believe the weight of the Revelation that I got today, threw it on the scale, it's under 4 lbs. 3 lbs 15 oz to be exact, with a starnut and 7.5" steerer. The Fox 34 Float is almost 4.6 lbs with a shorter steerer. It feels so light!
    Not sure if you're asking me. But...

I have the stock Revelation RL Dual Air.
    The pressures I have in the fork for the 140mm setting is:
    Positive Air Chamber - 130psi (maybe a hair under because my shock pump has graduations of 10psi marks which I eye-ball when setting it up)
    Negative Air Chamber - 150psi - maybe slightly under (Yes,yes, I know it says that you shouldn't go above 15psi between the Positive and Negative chambers because it affects sag. But somehow I've managed to make it work for me with my sag and ride feel.)

Those pressures get me sitting at a little over 20% sag.

I never use the lock out on the fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice one!

Argh - i cant post any pictures!

My build will probably be:
    Frame: Honzo 20L
    Fork: Revelation RCT3 DPA
    WS: Superstar Switch with Stans Flow 29
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Crank: SLX 36Z
    Pedals: Nukeproof Electron
    Brakes: XT 203/180
    Cog: HomeBrewdComponents 20z
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Seatpost: Thomson 31.6x410
    Bars: Race Face Atlas FR or Truvativ Boo Bar
    Grips: ESI ?or 0815 Lock Ons

I am still looking for some nice tires (rubberqueen 2,2" f&r?) - any suggestions?

@Eurospec
    Pls let me know your pressures, i got the same fork and weight

€dit:
    And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-08-2012 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchupsenf View Post

€dit:
    And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/
    The top-tube length center to center is 24.5 inches--just over 62 cm.

My 20L came with a 22 sticker, right over the 20" sticker.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by southj View Post
    My ride
    20 Long? Pic looks deceiving.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The top-tube length center to center is 24.5 inches--just over 62 cm.
    Thanks a lot - same length here!

mtbr member
    Score!!!!

UPS just dropped off the package and to my surprise, the fork is not a Revelation RL (basic damper, comes stock on most 2012 builds like the Kona Honzo, Satori, or SC Tallboy), but in fact it's the higher-end RCT3 damper. Quite a nice surprise to say the least, as the reviews for it have been stellar. And black too. Aftermarket RCT3 Revelation only came in Dual Position 140/110 if you wanted black, white for non-travel 140mm.

Dibs on your Fox 34mm please. I predict you'll appreciate the torsional stiffness provided by the 20mm axle. If you don't, I'll take the Rockshox fork off your hands. I really want to bet more travel. Looking forward to your comparison. BTW, I have the Atlas freeride bars and I'm really liking them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Euro

Did you ever look at the Revelation XX? I have a chance to get one of those for a good deal new. Would that be comparible to your new one?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RideEverything;9665255]2.5 pages without a single pic! And, the few pages before that in this thread are only lightly sprinkled with pics!

How about some riding pics? It's hard to stop and take photos during the good stuff, but it is a Honzo in action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0814.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0813.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0804.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Dibs on your Fox 34mm please. I predict you'll appreciate the torsional stiffness provided by the 20mm axle. If you don't, I'll take the Rockshox fork off your hands. I really want to bet more travel. Looking forward to your comparison. BTW, I have the Atlas freeride bars and I'm really liking them.
    Definitely. Hold off on buying a fork. I'm sure we can work something out with whatever I won't keep. I'll PM you first before posting them FS online here, PB, and eBay.

Hey Euro

Did you ever look at the Revelation XX? I have a chance to get one of those for a good deal new. Would that be comparible to your new one?
    Check out page 7 of this link.

It breaks down the Rockshox dampers: XX > RCT3 > RLT > RL.

I would say both are SRAM's higher end stuff, except the XX comes with a Reverb style handlebar remote for fork lockout. Something I never use, plus when I was looking around, the XX is slightly below Fox 34 pricing, something I wouldn't want to pay again.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    .. but it is a Honzo in action.

mtbr member
    Alright, I am starting to look at pieces for the build of the Honzo.

Build plan, as it looks now:

Fox Rev (stock fork). I will leave it at 120 initially, may move it up to 140. I dont really think I need 140mm, as I already have a 26" long travel HT (chromag stylus) and a 6" FS bike.
    Stem - not sure yet
    Bars - Chromag or Atlas, possibly Spank Spike. Kore Torsion looks decent as well
    Brakes - Elixer? or SLX
    Wheels - King hubs (have), laced to Flow EX or i23's.
    Probably a Thomson post, Chromag Q/R and saddle

The big question for me right now, is crankset.

I already have a set of E13 XCX SS cranks in the parts box, along with several SS rings, but in 32 and 34t, for the 26ers.

Should I stick with a 32t up front, gamble on HBC and a 31t, or pick up Sram stuff to run a 28t?

And which Sram setup if I go that way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just got everything for the SRAM set up. Here is what I'm going with... Everyone seems to love it

AKA cranks..$100 at Jensen right now with BB
    MRP bling Ring 28T
    MRP Micro Guide G2

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    20 Long? Pic looks deceiving.
    Yeah prob not the best angle, only photo I have.

It's a 20R frame. I'm 6'3" and really like the fit. I run a 45mm stem and 785mm bars.

Full Spec:

Rockshox Revelation 140mm (although I can only get 135mm travel)
    Stans Flow rims on Hope Evo 36h, DT Swiss DB spokes
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front/2.25 rear (tubeless)
    XT 10speed cassette
    XT rear dérailleur
    XTR shifter
    KMC chain
    SRAM X9 cranks, GXP BB
    28t MRP Bling Ring
    E13 LS1+ chainguide (modified for 28t chainring)
    Shimano M530 trail pedal
    Thompson 30.9 seatpost (USE 30.9-31.6 shim)
    Hope QR clamp
    WTB Valcon saddle
    FSA headset (sealed bearing model not the crap one that comes stock on the Honzo and lasts 3 weeks!)
    Funn Rippa stem 45mm
    ODI Troy Lee Designs grips
    Funn fatboy bar 785mm X 15mm rise
    Avid Code R Brakes 203mm front 185mm rear

Only change I would want to make is getting one of those flash as dropper posts. Other wise my girl is perfect! Oh and those new MRP guides with the slide on the lower guide instead of a jockey wheel look the business. (jockey wheels get clogged in our muddy winter)

The big question for me right now, is crankset.

And which Sram setup if I go that way?
    I went Sram and got a 28T HBC chainring paired with a 17T cog (roughly between 32/20 and 32/19). I would have gone MRP if they were available at the time, as the HBC ring took 3+ months, and he needs to lose some business to learn to run it properly. Being the only option for a product may have made it justifiable in the past, but no more.

I went XO this time, but mainly on impulse as there was a deal from the distributor (though they were still stupid pricey). If I had to do it again, I'd have gone with X9. The XOs aren't as light as they should be, based on the weight of other carbon cranks (RaceFace etc), although they do look quite a bit fancier than the blah X9s. I was also looking at the E13s, to be different.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with SLX it seems, but a spidered SS setup still looks like a compromise - spiderless it just awesome. And lighter!

EDIT: Also, I really like my Easton Haven stem. Similar weight to a Thomson, but a bit more bling.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness? I am a big guy (260) working down, but dont want to compromise there. I can deal with extra weight on the crankset if needed.

I currently have a set of SLX (double) running a single ring on the Chromag, and frankly, no real issues on the Sram setup on the Spec either.

I would probably go AKA vs the X9, as they dont look very different, and at 9g difference, its not worth any extra to go X9...

I am just a little hesitant to give up on the XCX setup to go to Sram... But I know I have moved from 36 to 32T on the 26er, so a smaller ring on the 29er makes sense as well. But the quality is evident on the E13 setup.

As to HBC... The issues are enough to keep me willing to push a 32 instead of trying for their 31, at least in the near term.

Ahh, first world problems.

Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness?
    Haven't noticed flex with my cranks, I'm 220. I've never been one to notice that sort of thing though, so either I've always had stiff cranks or just don't notice.

Pretty sure all XO crank arms are the same, meaning the DH ones are the same as the XC ones, which I'd hope would mean they're stiff. Might be why they weight more than most carbon cranks too.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am 110kg and I was running SLX cranks(double set up as single ring) for a year and loved them! They were one thing on my bike I never thought about (best complement you can pay a piece of kit)

About 6 weeks ago I changed to X9 cranks/28t Bling. I was apprehensive about the move as I liked everything about the shimano cranks but so far so good. I was tentative in the rough stuff at first although now like the SLX cranks I don't think about them anymore. Time will tell how they hold up but so far no complaints. I have had a similar expreience to Noot And have not felt any noticable flex in my cranks. If SLX could be run spiderless they would be top of my list however SRAM seem to have done a good job on the X9 so they are worth a spin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Brakes - Elixer? or SLX
    I would go for the SLX Brakes -nearly the same as the XT. I just canceled my order for the XT and got the SLX with the new braking pads with cooling fins - for the same price (the xt had no cooling fins) and a sooner delivery.

I've never heard sth good about the Elixier...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway! I am between Chris King mango hubs and Black for the new 2013 Honzo. What do you think? Are those Mango hubs to much? Ive got an Easton havoc 35 orange stem but that would be the only other orange bit on the bike. Everything else is black including rims and spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I thought you were talking about the 2012 Honzo, on which Mango would be rad...just like the Broncos! My son has that color scheme goin.

mtbr member
    For the 2013 Honzo, I would definitely go CK Mango, it's a nice match, the only thing I would worry about is planning ahead with another bike, it would be hard to match. With black hubs, you can match them to any new frame if you wish so easily.

And I'll be the first to admit, the 2013 has definitely grown on me aesthetically. At first I definitely didn't dig the retro orange decals and goldish tint of the clearcoat, but it's still not enough to warrant an upgrade for me any time soon.

BTW sheranian, that picture is huge.

And looks like the official photo off Kona's website, the Revelation fork looks to be more than 120mm in travel. There's definitely more stanchion showing than their 2012 official photo, and I confirmed it in Photoshop lol.

But looks like the bikes are shipping with 120mm travel

Last edited by eurospek; 09-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    ^^
    I would agree eurospek. I'm 5'6" if I stand up really straight so ETT on the Honzo would indicate a 16" frame for me.

I purchased the 16" to build up a couple months back and it's too cramped unless I run a 70-80mm stem which impacts handling. It's never felt quite right.

I had a chance to ride a stock 18" last week the cockpit felt great and the handling was spot on for me. Needless to say I'm on the lockout for an 18" Honzo frame to replace the 16".
    Kona Honzo 29er frame 18"

Worth a shot as the 18" is sold out at Bikeman.com.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes it is a big picture... Ha!! I'm going to go with the Mango hubs!

Hey Euro... What rear derailuer, shifter, cassette are you running? I'm thinking about Saint instead of SRAM XO even though I already bought rear cassette. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Running 1x9 with Shimano Saint 810 SS derailleur (works awesome with the Shimano HG61 12-36 cassette), Shimano SLX 665 cranks, e.13 32T chainring, MRP Lopes SL guide, and a Shimano SLX shifter.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Changed anyone of you who rides a Revelation ( RCT3, DPA) your DPA Unit to a Coil Unit? I do know that it is possible for the 26" to take e.g. the coil unit of a 150mm sektor, but i don't know if i can adjust the sektor coil unit to the needed 140mm and if there are any major differences between the 140 29"/ 150 26" castings..?
    If you are interested i could keep u updated - i will ride my DPA and then hopefully change it to a coil version in late autumn.

Edit: Change of plans, i will buy a new one and take the 140 u-turn sektor kit - this should work fine
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-12-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Dianetics Junior
    Hey all,

Thinking about ditching the stock crankset and going spiderless with a blingring 30t....will these cranks work for this application on the Honzo 2012? I tried to research specs but would like to be sure before I order...any other parts I would need? Bottom bracket compatible? I realize I may have to modify/swap out the e*thirteen LS1 chainguide due to the offset chainring...appreciate your help...

Truvativ Aka GXP 3.3 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cbiz....

Edit: probably need the 1.1? not sure since only the cranks (no rings) will be used??
    Last edited by CBizzie; 09-13-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Hey all,

Thinking about ditching the stock crankset and going spiderless with a blingring 30t....will these cranks work for this application on the Honzo 2012? I tried to research specs but would like to be sure before I order...any other parts I would need? Bottom bracket compatible? I realize I may have to modify/swap out the e*thirteen LS1 chainguide due to the offset chainring...appreciate your help...

Truvativ Aka GXP 3.3 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cbiz....

Edit: probably need the 1.1? not sure since only the cranks (no rings) will be used??
    Whoops, misread the post the first time.

Not sure if those cranks will work with stock BB, but BB's are cheap, just buy a GXP Team BB.

AKA are spiderless. I'd imagine the 1.1s are the same arms with a single-ring spider. I'd just get whatever's cheapest.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I am looking too, but all the $100 cranksets at jenson are 170mm...

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 100mm fork on their Honzo? Think it would mess up the steering too much? I cracked my Salsa frame and need a replacement, the Honz looks kinda interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think your BB gets too low, which cranks do you want to run?

I mounted the Continental Rubberqueen 2,2" on Flows and i only got 1,5cm on the left and 4-5mm on the right side clearence between the tire and chainstays - i thought it is possible to run a 2,4" Ardent? Or ist the 2,4" Ardent similiar to the 2,2" RQ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Anyone running a 100mm fork on their Honzo? Think it would mess up the steering too much? I cracked my Salsa frame and need a replacement, the Honz looks kinda interesting.
    I used a 100mm Reba until a managed to remove the spacer and turn it into a 120mm. It actually worked just fine with the 100mm. I think it is a little more quick and XC like steering wise, but not a problem at all.
    I prefer the 120 as the bike reponds better, and off course thats the way the wanted it, so..

But if you have a 100mm, then use it until a 120mm shows up.

Maybe you should be a little aware of pedal strikes, but nothing to worrie about. It is a really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First 50m brakeless ride with my honzo - sweet. I cant wait to ride some gnarly trails :>

Still wondering:
    I mounted the Continental Rubberqueen 2,2" on Flows and i only got 1,5cm on the left and 4-5mm on the right side clearence between the tire and chainstays - i thought it is possible to run a 2,4" Ardent? Or ist the 2,4" Ardent similiar to the 2,2" RQ?

I think your BB gets too low, which cranks do you want to run?

Somewhere in this thread eurospek talks about tire clearance... do a search on google, there's some info.

And if you've got uneven tire clearance... you should check your wheel disk and dropout settings!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's the question: is a uneven tire clearance normal? The yoke does look asymmatrical..

Edit: Ha, found the problem. The clearance is now on both sides pretty similiar (+-1mm).
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    That's the question: is a uneven tire clearance normal? The yoke does look asymmatrical..

Edit: Ha, found the problem. The clearance is now on both sides pretty similiar (+-1mm).
    What was your problem?

I was going to post when I first built my Honzo, the rear wheel (new Sun Ringle Charger Expert) mounted with a 2.25 Ardent didn't really have equal amount of clearance on both sides. One side was close to rubbing, the other had ample room. The sliders were both all the way in, and all it took was loosening one of them just slightly to center everything. And I mean I would say less than a 1mm was all it took.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When i first checked the clearance i had no chain and the sliders were as far in the front as possible - there was a difference between left/right side of 1cm. Now i meassured the clearance with a mounted chain, so the sliders were somewhere in the middle and the difference was now only 3-4mm. But when i measured the clearence between chainstay and rim it was nearly similiar, that's where i saw that my tire has a small buckle
    The difference of the 1cm is probably because the dropouts aren't exactly at the same "spot/lenght".

Sorry for my bad english, i don't know how to describe it any better!

Bnerd

Additions to the Honzo

I finally got the MRP 28T Bling Ring I ordered.
    I just installed it with the Truvativ AKA 170mm cranks and GXP BB.
    Unfortunately, the MRP Micro G2 SL is on back order. So I fashioned up a homemade chainguide until the MRP unit comes in.
    A pop bottle and zap straps did the job!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227909.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227911.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227914.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    good idea...how's it sound? Like a Chris King hub? hahah...JK. Have you gone a ride with it yet? Does it do the job?

Dianetics Junior
    Sweet! can't wait to hear feedback as I am planning on going the same route - not sure if I should go 28 or 30 though....

Where did you get the blingring if you don't mind me asking? Everywhere I look they seem to be on backorder....that bottle trick might be all you need!! good thinking

mtbr member
    Swapped out my 2012 16" frame for this 18" 2013 frame. Fit feels better and colour is growing on me.

Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

Bnerd
    I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway!
    F**k this picture makes viewing this thread a pain in the ass on my desktop compy.
    On my phone I don't even bother looking at this thread any more because viewing it is unwieldy.

[sarcastic tone] Thanks buddy. [sarcastic tone]

Bnerd
    good idea...how's it sound? Like a Chris King hub? hahah...JK. Have you gone a ride with it yet? Does it do the job?
    I only took a quick 20 minute spin on some mellow trails near home to make sure the chain didn't skip off. It seems to work!
    I did have to sort out the alignment a bit because when I back pedalled the chain came off. I'm pretty sure I have it sorted.
    The real test is tomorrow when I'll be coaching for the full day. Hopefully it works out !

As for the noise, it is actually quieter than the stock chain guide!

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Sweet! can't wait to hear feedback as I am planning on going the same route - not sure if I should go 28 or 30 though....

Where did you get the blingring if you don't mind me asking? Everywhere I look they seem to be on backorder....that bottle trick might be all you need!! good thinking
    From the super quick ride I had on some mellow trails near my place the easier gearing is going to be sweet for the bigger steeper climbs. My legs won't feel like exploding within the first 20 minutes of one those climbs. Hopefully!
    Also my style of climbing is to stay seated for as long as possible. With the easier gearing I should be able to do that without having my knees hurting the next day after a big ride.

I'm in Whistler, BC, Canada. And, I bought/ordered the Bling Ring from my local shop, Fineline. It's a small shop at the South end of the valley.
    When they ordered it they called to find out the availability. At that time there was only one of the Bling Rings and one of the Micro guides left/available at the distributor.
    Because Fineline is such a small shop they wait until they have enough stuff to order before having things shipped. They had put both the items on hold for me but when Fineline went to order only the Bling Ring was left.
    So, now I'm left waiting for the guide.

I think my DIY chain guide will work well but my concern is the chain hopping off the top of the ring while charging through big chop.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Bnerd
    Swapped out my 2012 16" frame for this 18" 2013 frame. Fit feels better and colour is growing on me.
    I like the retro Kona scheme!
    Although, I'm not sure how I'd get all matchy-matchy with my components! Gold bits maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

To be changed: cog, bashring, bar/grips.
    To do: shorten the brake hose, removing the decals.

mtbr member

Nice. If you don't mind my asking, what size bike do you normally ride? How tall are you? I'm trying to decide between 16 and 18" myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I like the retro Kona scheme!
    Although, I'm not sure how I'd get all matchy-matchy with my components! Gold bits maybe?
    It has definitely grew on me. Gold and orange accents would kill it.

I would do a white Fox 34 Float, gold Chromag OSX bars, and gold/orange odds and ends like chainring bolts, grips, etc. It has definitely a more blingable color scheme than the 2012 blue frameset.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cackalackey did you order your frame online or have a hook up. I'm waiting for mine and am wondering if they are starting to produce them.

I really like the white fork on it! Guess that makes it easier to buy a Fox Float 140 rather than trying to find a float in black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2013 framesets are already available? How much are they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Nice. If you don't mind my asking, what size bike do you normally ride? How tall are you? I'm trying to decide between 16 and 18" myself.
    I'm 5'6" or so. I have an 18" Unit as well. The 16" didn't feel right to me. The ETT was shorter so I had to run a longer stem.

The only issue I have with the 18" is with the Reverb. Specifically, my legs are too short and the 18" seattube is too long to allow full extension even with the seatpost slammed to the collar. It's a compromise I can live with.

mtbr member
    Cackalackey did you order your frame online or have a hook up. I'm waiting for mine and am wondering if they are starting to produce them.

I really like the white fork on it! Guess that makes it easier to buy a Fox Float 140 rather than trying to find a float in black.
    Cackalackey just quoted my pic. My LBS was nice enough to let me pull the frame from a stock build and order me some 135 dropouts. I'm told frames won't go out until October sometime.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast