mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Thanks again!

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Thanks again!
    This is awesome
    Thanks for making those available
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    I ride a steely, which is a degree slacker than the Honzo, and a 1/4 inch longer in the chainstay. I've also taken the Honzo for a couple rides. I think the differences in geo and wheel size act together to bring the 2 bikes to a happy medium making them ride similarly. The shorter chainstay makes it feel nimble for a 29" bike and the lower bottom bracket helps it in the corners. My old bike was 3/4 higher in the bottom bracket, and I don't have any issues with the occasional pedal strike. It's something you just relearn an never look back.
    Thanks for this; somewhat addressed my request in your Steely thread. I'd like to ask here as well though: why didn't you go for the Honzo instead of the Steely?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I know a lot has been written about 29 vs 26, but in the end they both have their merits on the same trails. I think it comes down to platform preference.

I owned a Niner Air9 in the past, and have taken this Honzo on a few test rides. I liked the Honzo's slack angles, burly build, and ride quality, but I personally prefer the 26 platform mainly for the small bike feel, quickness in handling, and the pop/pump you get off dips and rises.

I have no doubt that 29 is more stable and has better roll-over / traction, but it's at the cost of a fun and quickness. If I was to get a 29, it would be a Honzo - after all it inspired my Steely purchase, which is basically the 26" version of the Honzo.

Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    I know a lot has been written about 29 vs 26, but in the end they both have their merits on the same trails. I think it comes down to platform preference.

I owned a Niner Air9 in the past, and have taken this Honzo on a few test rides. I liked the Honzo's slack angles, burly build, and ride quality, but I personally prefer the 26 platform mainly for the small bike feel, quickness in handling, and the pop/pump you get off dips and rises.

I have no doubt that 29 is more stable and has better roll-over / traction, but it's at the cost of a fun and quickness. If I was to get a 29, it would be a Honzo - after all it inspired my Steely purchase, which is basically the 26" version of the Honzo.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    I think the BB height is the only real flaw on this otherwise stellar bike (yeah it could always be lighter). I'm getting lots of pedal strikes running a 140 Marz, which means the BB is actually a bit higher than 12.2. It can be compensated for in your riding style of course, but again it comes down to individual preference and where you live/ride. For me, somewhere north of 13" is just right. I might experiment with 175 cranks too (currently running 180s).

I also think the headtube should be a touch longer on the bigger frame sizes. One size fits all HT doesn't make sense.
    Thanks for answering, and how are you finding the 20L in terms of fit? IIRC we were just about the same height. I'm still 29er frameless and itching to have something new by spring.

Chronic 1st-timer
    "Per your request on 12/30/2011, this message is to notify you that an item you wanted is now available for ordering:

KON-F12HZ22 Kona Honzo Frame Only, 22, Matte Blue, 2012

You may use the link below to purchase this item now.

Bikeman Kona Honzo Frame Only, 22, Matte Blue, 2012

Please check the item stock status to estimate the delivery time. If delivery of this product is time sensitive we encourage you to contact us for up to the minute ship times to verify that we can accomodate your needs."

Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    ^ Who did you order with? I know of 2 shops with new shipment sizes in stock!!

the air is thin up here..
    I'm going crazy waiting for my frame. Anyone know when the next batch of frames are shipping out? Most of my parts have arrived (fork, wheels, brakes, seatpost, etc), just waiting for my bar, stem, bottom headset cup, and HBC ring!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm going crazy waiting for my frame. Anyone know when the next batch of frames are shipping out?
    Kona has all sizes in stock right now, I got my 20" frame last week... which might answer your fitment question, Eurospek. I'm 6'2" with long legs, and after riding the 20"L for a bit, I felt on top of the bars a lot. I need a layback post, but there is no room to pull the bars back with me, and now I'm too stretched out to throw the bike around. If your extra height on me is in the torso/arms, the 20"L will probably fit you pretty well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianPeeters View Post
    Kona has all sizes in stock right now, I got my 20" frame last week... which might answer your fitment question, Eurospek. I'm 6'2" with long legs, and after riding the 20"L for a bit, I felt on top of the bars a lot. I need a layback post, but there is no room to pull the bars back with me, and now I'm too stretched out to throw the bike around. If your extra height on me is in the torso/arms, the 20"L will probably fit you pretty well.
    Thanks for your insight, appreciate it a lot and after giving it a lot of thought, and wanting to buy a 2SoulsCycles QH/Slim Jim in XXL and finding out it's put on hold at the moment with no real ETA date, I just saved myself over $700+ and ordered a 20" regular Honzo frame from bikeman.com last night, it has shipped today. It's one of the few AMHT 29er frames that gets me excited and I have a stock pile of 29er parts ready to go, I'm itching for a new bike just in time for spring. Not going to sit around and wait for something that may or may not come at the end of the summer (just like the upcoming On-One Inbred EVO long-travel frame that I've been talking with Brant Richards about, was told end of summer at the earliest).

Plus it's been confirmed that you can run the 2.4 Ardent or even the 2.35 Hans Dampf, which ultimately sold me on the Honzo. I really wanted a 21" ST, but going with some super-low profile 11mm HT AE01 EVO pedals will do the trick lol.

Another dilemma I had was frame size, 20" or 20L, and after PM'ing back and forth with JoshM who's my height said the 20L felt long and big, bigger than his 21" XL Specialized Rockhopper. Going to take his word for it, and noticed everyone on the 20L is taller than me, one guy is 6'6" with a 38" cycling inseam and also confirmed it's a LONG bike, even with a 65mm stem. Another guy on singletrackworld.com is 6'8" on a 20L.

I'm a regular proportioned 6'4", 33/34" pant inseam, normal legs and arms. I want a nimble and flickable bike that is a nudge bigger than my current TransAM with a 36 Float. And plan on running it with a 140 Revelation so the ETT and wheelbase of the 20L is starting to look super long, over 26" ETT and 46"+ WB. And I would only be able to run a 50mm stem on the 20L as everything else would be too stretched out, and as I've learned on the TransAM with a 50mm stem, climbing is no fun at all with such short stems.

I'm going to run the frame with a Thomson 410 setback post and play around with either a 70mm or 90mm Thomson X4 stem that I have here, along with some nice flat Sunline V1 762 bars, mathching blue, just like eauxgod (I have a feeling we'll have pretty matching builds).

mtbr member
    For a tapered fork, can anyone confirm I'm ordering the right stuff?

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC44 1.5" Lower Assembly

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Upper Assembly

Thanks!

banned
    Those are correct. Can't wait to see your bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That setup is exactly what I have. What fork are you going to run? I ask because my fork knobs clear the down tube by about 1-2mm and I'd hate for you to have issues on your build. I'm running a Fox F29 120mm Tapered.

The headset with the tallest bottom cup is the RWC. It will give you a 15mm bottom stack compared to the 12mm Cane Creek. Another alternative is the FSA Orbit at 13.4mm and Chris King at 14.8mm. Basically, the Cane Creek has the very lowest bottom stack. Also, Rockshox forks run 8mm longer than Fox equivalents, at least the 29ers do..

JB
    I really wanted a 21" ST, but going with some super-low profile 11mm HT AE01 EVO pedals will do the trick lol.
    On the 20L the ST is actually 20.5" BB center to top. Not sure if that holds for the 20", but if so, you're only 0.5" off your ideal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    Those are correct. Can't wait to see your bike...
    Thanks, pretty stoked too.

That setup is exactly what I have. What fork are you going to run? I ask because my fork knobs clear the down tube by about 1-2mm and I'd hate for you to have issues on your build. I'm running a Fox F29 120mm Tapered.

The headset with the tallest bottom cup is the RWC. It will give you a 15mm bottom stack compared to the 12mm Cane Creek. Another alternative is the FSA Orbit at 13.4mm and Chris King at 14.8mm. Basically, the Cane Creek has the very lowest bottom stack. Also, Rockshox forks run 8mm longer than Fox equivalents, at least the 29ers do..
    Rockshox Revelation 140. I'll have to look into the headsets a bit more than. I wasn't really looking to spend more on a headset than the Cane Creek 40 series.

Could your limited clearance be due to headtube length as well?

16" frame is 3.5", 18" is 3.9", and 20" is 4.3".

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    On the 20L the ST is actually 20.5" BB center to top. Not sure if that holds for the 20", but if so, you're only 0.5" off your ideal.
    But like I said, the 20L is just too long with ETT and reach, and only could run a 50mm stem on it. I'm over such short stems. And sat on my old Gary Fisher Piranha 21" last night, 24.5" measured actual top tube length, had a 100mm stem, and I was super-stretched compared to my TransAM, it was actually a weird feeling being back on it. I forgot how long the whole thing was.
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-10-2012 at 06:58 AM.

banned
    I too have a very small gap b/t compression lever on my 44 MicroTi fork and down tube...

Chronic 1st-timer
    ....I'm a regular proportioned 6'4", 33/34" pant inseam, normal legs and arms. I want a nimble and flickable bike that is a nudge bigger than my current TransAM with a 36 Float. And plan on running it with a 140 Revelation so the ETT and wheelbase of the 20L is starting to look super long, over 26" ETT and 46"+ WB. And I would only be able to run a 50mm stem on the 20L as everything else would be too stretched out, and as I've learned on the TransAM with a 50mm stem, climbing is no fun at all with such short stems.

I'm going to run the frame with a Thomson 410 setback post and play around with either a 70mm or 90mm Thomson X4 stem that I have here, along with some nice flat Sunline V1 762 bars, mathching blue, just like eauxgod (I have a feeling we'll have pretty matching builds).
    Ain't ordered mine yet, still scrimping & saving.

I'm 6' 3" & 34" inseams.
    I went to a local shop to sit on a 20R stock complete the other day & felt like I was on top of the bars, so I was planning on the 20L with a 70mm? stem.
    I'm gonna have to go back & have another sit.....
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Ain't ordered mine yet, still scrimping & saving.

I'm 6' 3" & 34" inseams.
    I went to a local shop to sit on a 20R stock complete the other day & felt like I was on top of the bars, so I was planning on the 20L with a 70mm? stem.
    I'm gonna have to go back & have another sit.....
    Interesting. But the 20L just looks so long on paper, especially with a 140mm fork. I've never had a bike with a 26"+ ETT, I don't want to lose the nimble feeling of steering. And like I said before, with such a long ETT of the 20L, I couldn't see running anything longer than a 60mm stem. People taller than us are saying the 20L is a long bike and I know of a person similar to my height switching from a 20L to a 20 frame saying it's still a big frame. And he was on top of the bars on the 20L:, so go figure. Hopefully I made the right choice, and coming from a smaller cockpit TransAM, I'm quite used to a smaller bike, but want something slightly bigger now, but not two sizes too big if you know what I'm saying.

I received my 20" frame, stuck the 140mm Revelation fork in there, clamped on a 90mm Thomson stem and inserted the Thomson post as well and with a rough measurement, I have about an 1.25-1.5" more of cockpit room than my current TransAM. If I'll need more, I can achieve about .6" more with a setback Thomson post anyway.

The top of the feeling bars I feel might be due to the stock 60mm stem that's on these bikes, it's all good for downhill, but for everyday riding, I'm going to stick with 70/80/90mm stems. I would give the 20" another try, but with a slightly longer stem. Looking at Specialized frames in this segment but with full suspension, both 26" and 29", stem lengths for similar ETT and reach are 90mm for L and XL, and 105mm for the XXL.

And btw to the current Honzo owners, did you rust-proof your frames?
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-15-2012 at 10:08 AM.

banned
    And btw to the current Honzo owners, did you rust-proof your frames?
    I did.

mtbr member

Ordered a Cane Creek 40 headset, w/ tall upper so I'm not running a stack load of spacers, but I put on the fork into the frame and clearance is almost none if you take into account the 12mm stack height.

Browsing the German bike forum I came across the Hope lower cup with a stack height of 14mm according to Hope UK and it sure looks taller than the CC40. Problem is it's a new item and no retailer in the USA carries it. Thankfully Dropn'Zone put in an order for me with Hope USA which will get it from the UK.

It's Hope HSCH model number and looks like this:

Manager
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    I did.
    How?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ...did you rust proof your frames?

Observed:

Concluded:

Last edited by JulianPeeters; 02-18-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: fixed images

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's a lot of mud! How'd you get it all in there? Were you riding without a seat?

I like the idea of rustproofing your frame, but doesn't Kona guarantee their frames for life? With a guarantee like that, I would just wait and see. I don't think it would ever rust bad enough to result in failure unless you live and ride in the wet very often. Guess I'm fortunate to live in socal where we don't have that problem.

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast