Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,300 of 4491
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2016 Remedy but still love the Honzo. Sure I can have faster riding, better climbing, and a longer day on the Remedy, but I still choose the Honzo over it for a lot of riding. Ride from home, pump track, and flow trail would be good examples.

People seem to get it or don't. Little in between. Honzo is a top choice for a does it all bike.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Norđwegr
    So I knew the dropperpost from my donor bike (devinci atlas) would be too short to use on my new Honzo frame. Ordered a replacement that's 2cm taller than a fixed seatpost that fits.

Didn't consider that the minimum insert would be different between the Lev and the Thomson Masterpiece so now I'm stuck with two KS levs that don't fit, haha!

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post
    One Trick Pony? Y or N
    Absolutely not. Honzo has been my only MTB since 2012.

I'm not sure there's a better allround hardtail, especially on the new ones with more tire clearance. HT angle, steel compliance (see below), room for tires, sliders.

The _only_ time I've really wanted a FS was on a relentlessly rooty flat ride, it just kicked the crap out of me. But that's not what I typically ride.

Good for the kind of riding I will be doing?
    Not sure what your trails are like, but unless they're constantly very rough and require sitting and spinning, you'll be fine.

AL/DL or ST?
    ST. To me, Honzo = Steel. I had an aluminum hardtail before the Honzo and noticed a big difference in compliance. Honzo AL is less of a "do it all" candidate. You can get in better shape and push more weight, but the rough ride really takes its toll.

You can still get a light Honzo ST build - my 2012 was ~26lbs. Or go Ti and solve all problems
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by noot
    You can still get a light Honzo ST build - my 2012 was ~26lbs. Or go Ti and solve all problems
    What kind of build was that on the ST? I barely with 26lbs with my TI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    What kind of build was that on the ST? I barely with 26lbs with my TI.
    Revelation, flows on hopes with Schwalbes, carbon bar, carbon seat, carbon cranks, SS, Hope M4s, Reverb.

Would have been lighter with no dropper and lighter brakes & hubs & rims, but a few things make a big difference. 145g Carbon seat for example.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-weight.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Revelation, flows on hopes with Schwalbes, carbon bar, carbon seat, carbon cranks, SS, Hope M4s, Reverb.

Would have been lighter with lighter brakes & hubs & rims, but a few things make a big difference. 145g Carbon seat for example.
    ...and you didn't even clean it so you can subtract another pound of dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    ...and you didn't even clean it so you can subtract another pound of dirt
    Exactly!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice! So I just called my LBS and accdg to Kona mine was not shipped until later last week so estimate is tomorrow. I really hope I can ride my Honzo this weekend to see for myself how good this bike is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    thank you SB666 and Vegard..
    I have always had frames that are low with longish top tubes ( for my height I mean) around 585mm and 590mm..using stems between 55 and 35mm I am sure that I would not go shorter than that but I never had a frame that long as a medium Honzo.. 610mm looks quite long for a medium indeed..but it looks that more and more brands are going this way: short seat tubes, low standover and long reach..maybe we all will adapt to this trend?As I said I could try to use a very short stem but I dont really know what I could expect from a frame that has really short stays and long reach.. Personally I like bikes that have short stays and normal to long top tubes, so I have both a flickable bike that I can wheele easy over obstacles but have long tt so I dont suffer too much to keep the wheel down on the ups.
    Looks like you already got some good insight for a question you asked almost a week ago but in case you still haven't decided I'll add in too. I'm 5'7" and have a size medium Honzo. Small feels way too short for me and keeping the front wheel on the ground for climbs bothers me. However for my riding style and the types of trails I ride I feel like this benefits me better for the descents as I like to have easier stability control at speed over rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I have a 2016 Remedy but still love the Honzo. Sure I can have faster riding, better climbing, and a longer day on the Remedy, but I still choose the Honzo over it for a lot of riding. Ride from home, pump track, and flow trail would be good examples.

People seem to get it or don't. Little in between. Honzo is a top choice for a does it all bike.
    I feel the same way. My other bike is a carbon Stumpy Evo FSR and yeah I can go a lot faster a lot longer on that bike but some days I just feel like riding the Honzo. It's a fun bike and super easy to ride fast. I have no problem keeping up with or going as fast as people on mid to long travel full suspension rigs on the Honzo. I just can't wait until it's time for me to do my yearly shock maintenance when I extend the travel and truly unlock the power of the bike. I think the only place I'm faster on the Honzo is on smoother flowy trails.

mtbr member
    700c style is a bit weird, but rides nice on pavement haha. I really like the Mavic crossmax xl wheelset. Super solid design
    Name:  0505161739 (1).jpg
Views: 971
Size:  144.6 KB
    Name:  0503161508 (1).jpg
Views: 993
Size:  254.6 KB

mtbr member
    Haha, worst Honzo build ever!
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Haha, worst Honzo build ever!
    What, mine?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    How dare you roadie influence such a shred sled!! I can hear that bike screaming through the pictures.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Bryant View Post
    What, mine?
    With the skinny tires, yes.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Zaf;12619121]How dare you roadie influence such a shred sled!! I can hear that bike screaming through the pictures.

haha I had it set up like that for a day. I dont have a road bike, and my dad had some 32c tires that seated up on my old black flags. its used for its intended purpose mostly, dont worry

mtbr member
    With the skinny tires, yes.
    I dont know how I feel about it either... lol

Zaf
    mtbr member
    The unshredded dirt of a thousand nations cries out in horror at what has happened this day.
    A moment, for a fallen Honzo. May he rise again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    The unshredded dirt of a thousand nations cries out in horror at what has happened this day.

hahahaha alright guys, alright

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    You sir, might be new to mountain bike but you are making a truly sensible decision going with the honzo st at 140.

I agree wholeheartedly, that it s a killer setup. So much so that I didn't ride my full suspension bike when I got the honzo...

Don't even consider the alu, steel and titanium are where ts at with a solid durable hardtail...

Great bike to own if it's your only one...it's super versatile and crazy fun.

Btw, you can pretty much have 2 bikes with a steel honzo. Buy 1 29er wheelset, and 1 27.5plus wheelset...makes for 2 very different ride characteristics. The plus wheelset almost makes the honzo a 1-1.5" rear suspension with the extra high volume tires.
    Hey ledude, so you find yourself still going back to the 29er wheels? Not just sticking with the b+ setup? What would make you go back to the 29ers? Have you gotten use to working around pedal strikes with the super low bb with the b+ setup?

mtbr member
    It's been done before by the OP or his brother to a Steely. I would try it with more voluminous urban tires to shred the street. Minions kinda suck to pedal on the pavement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Hey ledude, so you find yourself still going back to the 29er wheels? Not just sticking with the b+ setup? What would make you go back to the 29ers? Have you gotten use to working around pedal strikes with the super low bb with the b+ setup?
    Funny you should ask. I picked up another 29er hardtail and made it my regulag xc 29er with some roval fattie 29er wheels.

The honzo has a b plus wheelset on it with 155 mm cranks (no more pdeal strikes)....for now.

The honzo with b plus tires is fun for sure. But for the type of riding I do, I will always prefer regular sized tires as I value precise steering, and a nimble bike. No surprise but b plus tires deaden steering precision but gains in traction. A skinny guy like me riding tight singletrack has never really felt like I needed more traction.

Bottom line, it's nice having a frame that allows us to switch back and forth between 29/B +.

I still prefer the regular 29 wheels, but sometimes take out the honzo with its big booty tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    Funny you should ask. I picked up another 29er hardtail and made it my regulag xc 29er with some roval fattie 29er wheels.

The honzo has a b plus wheelset on it with 155 mm cranks (no more pdeal strikes)....for now.

The honzo with b plus tires is fun for sure. But for the type of riding I do, I will always prefer regular sized tires as I value precise steering, and a nimble bike. No surprise but b plus tires deaden steering precision but gains in traction. A skinny guy like me riding tight singletrack has never really felt like I needed more traction.

Bottom line, it's nice having a frame that allows us to switch back and forth between 29/B +.

I still prefer the regular 29 wheels, but sometimes take out the honzo with its big booty tires.
    That's some great insight thanks! I am building a set of + wheels right now and look forward to trying it out! 155 cranks?! Those exist? Does your pedaling leverage feel really weird? Are the rock strikes THAT bad? I have 170 cranks right now and I'm running a 140 pike - are you running 140 or 120 fork travel? I was thinking about going down to a 165 crank but could not imagine running a 155!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's some great insight thanks! I am building a set of + wheels right now and look forward to trying it out! 155 cranks?! Those exist? Does your pedaling leverage feel really weird? Are the rock strikes THAT bad? I have 170 cranks right now and I'm running a 140 pike - are you running 140 or 120 fork travel? I was thinking about going down to a 165 crank but could not imagine running a 155!

Canfield brothers make some nice 155mm cranks (theyre currently sold out for 73mm BBs).

Previously I had a 140mm 36 on the honzo, just replaced it with a 130mm 34 in an effort to lower the front end stack height.

I rode tight tracks with lots of rocks, pedal strikes are common...but don't listen to me, i'm a weirdo as I might be the only person in the world who thinks bottom bracket heights have gotten too low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Haha, well I think there is a limit for how low a bike should be... I would definitely say that the honzo on b+ is definitely straddling that limit, but I think I'll see how it goes with my 170 cranks before picking up shorter ones. Thanks for the info!

Norđwegr
    A pedalstrike was what flung me off my 2k13 honzo and caved in my left clavicle and some ribs back in 2014, got 5mm longer cranks on my Ti so this should be an exciting year :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A pedalstrike was what flung me off my 2k13 honzo and caved in my left clavicle and some ribs back in 2014, got 5mm longer cranks on my Ti so this should be an exciting year :P
    I like your attitude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Absolutely not. Honzo has been my only MTB since 2012.

I'm not sure there's a better allround hardtail, especially on the new ones with more tire clearance. HT angle, steel compliance (see below), room for tires, sliders.

The _only_ time I've really wanted a FS was on a relentlessly rooty flat ride, it just kicked the crap out of me. But that's not what I typically ride.

Not sure what your trails are like, but unless they're constantly very rough and require sitting and spinning, you'll be fine.

ST. To me, Honzo = Steel. I had an aluminum hardtail before the Honzo and noticed a big difference in compliance. Honzo AL is less of a "do it all" candidate. You can get in better shape and push more weight, but the rough ride really takes its toll.

Awesome responses. Thanks all for the input and guidance. I have decided to go ahead and order the STEEL frame in L and am told it will be here before the end of the month. Not sure what I will do for a build yet but the idea of a 27.5+is pretty cool.

Curious about fork lengths... I see a lot of 140 builds and also 120. Does the extra 20 of travel actually make that big of a difference?? Is there a disadvantage to going longer? The last bike I had with suspension forks was a 90's Bridgestone MB1. I spent a months pay to buy those forks back then. Since that time its only been old full rigid MTB's and my Road Bike.

Many More dumbass questions to come: Stay Tuned.

Thanks Again

Skid
    The build is now (almost) complete! Tossed a 9point8 Fall Line dropper on this week and can say that I've already fallen in love with it. My hub conversion kit came in today so I was able to throw on the newly acquired fork and ready my steed for tomorrow.

New stem and bar pending!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dsc_0247.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What headset is everybody running? Any favorites? Anything to stay away from?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Cane Creek 40 series ZS44/56.

Norđwegr
    Cane Creek 40 series ZS44/56.
    They work allright, but I don't like the crown race because it's not split. (nor is the 110 for that matter)

Personally I've used Hopes.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    They work allright, but I don't like the crown race because it's not split. (nor is the 110 for that matter)

Personally I've used Hopes.
    Yeah, that's the point. No split, nice rubber sealed edge with a layer of grease between the crown and bearing makes them super safe from fouling in wet weather.

Norđwegr
    The split can be in the metal and not in the rubber and still be perfectly safe from fouling. Just makes installing and removing a whole lot easier imho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Also used the CC40, no issues yet, but don't look forward to removing it at some point.

mtbr member
    The CC40 crown race comes off easy. A tap of a hammer and it comes off. It can be cut for easier installations. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, the 110 series bearings fit the 40 also for when they wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Honzo stoke

Here is my Honzo Ti that I just built last Friday. Rode it Sat and Sun and all I can say is its super fun to ride! I have been a full sus guy since I started Mtn Biking in 2011 and just recently owned an Evil Following. First off, the Following was fun but the sizing was funky especially for taller guys. Should have tried a large but instead of getting one when I sold the medium, I went crazy and bought a honzo. Turned out that this could be a good decision after all. Titanium fame and almost zero maintenance hardtail frame is such a good investment.

On the descents, it feels really stale because of the geometry of the bike.The short chainstays really makes the bike flickable and rail corners. Kona was able to maintain the fun factor of this bike despite lack of rear end squish. Happy so far with the bike and cannot wait to ride it again this coming weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image1.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Dynamatt, thinking of building the same frame. How are you liking yours after a few months. What components did you use?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy 3

mtbr member
    May 2016

Fresh Build

Great info on this thread helped me pick the AL for my build -

First ride today and love it - FAST, up and down.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

-RS Pike 120 Fork
    -I9 245 Torch Trail Wheleset
    -SRAM X01
    -Raceface Turbine Cranks & Stem
    -Race Next Carbon Bars
    -RS Reverb Stealth Dropper
    -SRAM Guide RSC 180mm front and back

24.15 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How do you like the color scheme? Thought the bike was black originally.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    CC40 top, Hope bottom last build. The Hope bottom cup is taller than the CC equivalent (EC44), and I had creaking issues that may have been caused by the Hope.

CC40 top & bottom this build. No creaking. Was a pain to hammer on the race thing though, but that's one time.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Curious about fork lengths... I see a lot of 140 builds and also 120. Does the extra 20 of travel actually make that big of a difference??
    Unless you really don't want to slack it out past 68deg, I'd go 140mm:
    -Slightly raise the BB. Fewer pedal strikes.
    -Slack it out a bit, like a lot of the "newer" breed of AM hardtails.
    -For pedaling uphill, use whatever sort of "climb" or "lockout" mode that the fork has if you're finding it has too much squish.
    -And, if I'm not mistaken (I might be), 140mm forks can be converted to 120mm more easily than the other way around.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddwick25 View Post
    -And, if I'm not mistaken (I might be), 140mm forks can be converted to 120mm more easily than the other way around.
    Pikes are indifferent to what their stock configuration are, you just need to swap the airspring with one that gives you your desired length.

29ers Forever
    I have been wanting a Kona Honzo for a few years by now... and recently I have been really itching to buy a Honzo frame and build up my own. I just bought a new full suspension bike and my bike budget is very low, but I am trying to sell a couple of my older bikes to get enough money.

But I saw that for 2017 Kona is releasing a 27.5+ Honzo, would this mean they will stop making the 29" frames?
    I really hope not because I won't have the money to buy a new frame for at least a few months and will have to wait until the 2017 model year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    But I saw that for 2017 Kona is releasing a 27.5+ Honzo, would this mean they will stop making the 29" frames?
    I highly doubt they'll stop making the 29 version, especially since the 27.5+ version was named the "Big Honzo" - a completely separate model.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Doubtful, the 29" started it, and there's usually layovers to be had for the previous model year.

29ers Forever
    That is true. I just worry because it's a bike I have wanted for a while but just never justified buying instead of a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I wanted to throw this up. I don't post very much, but kinda did a weird build and wanted to see what some of you thought. Had some spare parts and a 27.5 160 xfusion vengence fork, as well as a 27.5 wheelset as OEM take offs when I upgraded things on my 2013 Norco range. I found this 2013 honzo frame on CL for a good deal and decided to give it a shot. What I have found is- I am digging it! this thing rips! I was worried about BB height and from what i understand with this year frame not being able to fit 27.5+, but i don't think i need it. Just the regular 27.5 wheels with the pretty big hans dampf 2.35 and then the 160 fork puts the BB really close to 12in (about 11.9) compared to the stock 12.2 in. I think i will get some 165cm cranks to help with pedal strikes, but I'm used to adjusting for that coming off the Norco. First ride last night and no issues, just ripped trail and it felt like it railed corners and i could flick it where ever i wanted.

Is it sacrilegious to just go straight 27.5 in wheels and tires on the Honzo?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4272.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4277.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    what does your build weigh in at?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am not sure, haven't weighed it yet. if i would guess between 30-32 lbs? might be able to weigh it tonight

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    did you end up building this? If so how much did it end up weighing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    jn24uk, I'm not sure if you're talking to me as I probably don't know how to post correctly. Since these are some of my first posts i am getting confused on the linear, hybrid, and threaded view.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome -- looks rough n' ready! There's nothing at all wrong with this build, so long as the low BB works for you: It's a bike, and you can ride it. Done-done.

I dig mine set up the way it its, but there have been plenty of times on jumps and tight trails that I wished for smaller wheels. I'm glad to see that someone has done this -- BRRAAAAP!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    my bad, sent message in the wrong spot

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Collins, Yeah so far so good! Already thinking about getting back on it tonight

Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    my bad, sent message in the wrong spot
    No problem, but now you're going to need to buy a Honzo.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    April 20th I sent an email to Kona USA asking if p-clips were included with the TI frame. After some timewasting email ping pong they refered me to Kona Europe, never got a reply from the latter.

Just sent another email to Kona EU warranty asking if removing the decals would void any part or all of the warranty. Guess what..

The email was returned because the address doesn't exist (anymore?). Who on earth is in charge at that place?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My LBS here in Socal (The Path Bikeshop) gave me 4 p-clips when I got mine. I think they have tons of it as its just laying around in the cashier area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    April 20th I sent an email to Kona USA asking if p-clips were included with the TI frame. After some timewasting email ping pong they refered me to Kona Europe, never got a reply from the latter.

Just sent another email to Kona EU warranty asking if removing the decals would void any part or all of the warranty. Guess what..

The email was returned because the address doesn't exist (anymore?). Who on earth is in charge at that place?!
    I've been very underwhelmed with Kona customer support. To the extent I'll never buy another Kona product. I had to have the BB chased and faced on my '16 Ti Honzo. The local Kona shop where I bought my bike unfortunately closed, so I had the work done at another local shop. I sent an email to the head of customer service at the US headquarters explaining the situation and asked that I be reimbursed for labor costs for the really bad thread condition of the BB. I was told I had to goto a local Kona dealership. When I explained that the shop where I purchased my bike had closed I was told to go to another one...35 miles away.

Doesn't matter because the work was done and the BB was fixed so there's nothing a Kona dealer could do at that point. So I ate the cost and just told the service rep that they might want to look closer at frame quality before shipping them. At $2,200 for a frame that thing better be ****ing perfect. His response? "Thanks".

Love my Honzo, but done with Kona.

Norđwegr
    Sounds like the same guy I tried asking a simple yes/no question, not helpful at all and just refered me to contacting Kona EU who don't reply at all.

To give the thread a nicer spin, got my last parts for my build today, Maxxis tires, Turbine dropper and some misc parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sounds like the same guy I tried asking a simple yes/no question, not helpful at all and just refered me to contacting Kona EU who don't reply at all.

To give the thread a nicer spin, got my last parts for my build today, Maxxis tires, Turbine dropper and some misc parts.
    Least important employee assigned to answering emails.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A whole 35 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its nothing unusual having to chase through and face the BB on new frames, in fact its highly recommended.
    I thought petrol was cheap in the US, If you live here in the UK you will have an empty wallet and be crying like a baby with the cost of fuel. Unless you cant drive and travel everywhere by Skateboard!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah thats what is recommended everytime you get a bnew threaded bb frame no matter how expensive that is.

mtbr member
    So started season number 5 on my 2012 Honzo custom build last week. Not much has changed over the years, replaced minor things over the years but nothing drastic (still mostly the same, Fox 34 140, 1x9 Saint drivetrain, SLX brakes, cranks, Chromag eveything, and Sun Ringle Charger Experts/2.4/2.25 Ardents and Reverb). I've been going back and forth about building a FS 29er these past two seasons but somehow can't commit to dropping $5K+ on a build for the trails we have here in Chicago. If I lived anywhere else, I would've ditched the hardtail a long time ago. I ride maybe 3 or 4 times a month now due to a busy work schedule.

Curious to see what Kona brings for 2017, maybe I'd considered a 29+ Honzo as a replacement and anxious to see if they update the Process 111 at all.

One interesting tid bit, I'm on my third Reverb replacement from SRAM and just to show you how lame the trails are here, my first ride this year was without a dropper (to lazy to install lol) and to be honest, I didn't miss it. Maybe my riding technique has improved over the years since I could never clear segments before on my 26er Transition TransAM without a dropper post like I cleared on the Honzo without one last week. I will be riding tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the same opinion, so I can sell this 2016 Reverb SRAM sent me.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So started season number 5 on my 2012 Honzo custom build last week. Not much has changed over the years, replaced minor things over the years but nothing drastic (still mostly the same, Fox 34 140, 1x9 Saint drivetrain, SLX brakes, cranks, Chromag eveything, and Sun Ringle Charger Experts/2.4/2.25 Ardents and Reverb). I've been going back and forth about building a FS 29er these past two seasons but somehow can't commit to dropping $5K+ on a build for the trails we have here in Chicago. If I lived anywhere else, I would've ditched the hardtail a long time ago. I ride maybe 3 or 4 times a month now due to a busy work schedule.

Curious to see what Kona brings for 2017, maybe I'd considered a 29+ Honzo as a replacement and anxious to see if they update the Process 111 at all.

One interesting tid bit, I'm on my third Reverb replacement from SRAM and just to show you how lame the trails are here, my first ride this year was without a dropper (to lazy to install lol) and to be honest, I didn't miss it. Maybe my riding technique has improved over the years since I could never clear segments before on my 26er Transition TransAM without a dropper post like I cleared on the Honzo without one last week. I will be riding tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the same opinion, so I can sell this 2016 Reverb SRAM sent me.

Hey Euro, Thats cool your still rocking your Blue honzo. For 2017 they are coming out with the big honzo dl . google it its 27.5 plus. 27.5 plus is pretty fun to ride. I have it set up on my Niner rip. I did not like the way it rode on the honzo. made bike to low feeling at least for me at 6'5" . if you interested in 29+ . Its pretty rad I have the surly krampus really fun bike. you could get a Trek Stache . the frame is pricey tho at $950 tho. rockshox is coming out with a 29+ Pike and Yari next month.

cheers,

Andrew

Norđwegr
    I went from a umpteen figure fs to a much cheaper Honzo in 2013, then a pretty expensive fs in 2014 and now I'm back to a Honzo. Save your money Eurospek!

Only reason that could force me into a fs again would be a bad back and/or knees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My 2015 Honzo has plumped up recently... It's a Fatzo now! Laced some Onyx hubs to a set of the new Spank Oozy 395 trails. 2.8 Nobby Nic JUST squeezes in the back - the Nobby Nic is a bit wider than the 2.8 trailblazer.

I am running a 140 pike so BB height is pretty much exactly what it would be with 29" hoops and the stock 120 fork travel - I measured right at 12"

Going for the maiden voyage later this afternoon!Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1513.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1514.jpg

WNC Native
    Sharp ride there! Any pics of tire clearance?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Sharp ride there! Any pics of tire clearance?
    Thanks! I can't take any pictures right now but its definitely narrow! I have just 1 or 2 millimeters on the non-drive-side.

The Nobby Nic is definitely wider than the trailblazer that most people are running on the Honzo. I haven't been on the trail yet but on the street it feels fine. When I really mash on the pedals standing and pedaling, I was getting a slight rub, but nothing that would slow me down or damage the tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How difficult of a process would it be to swap my 2015 Kona Taro frame for a Honzo frame? Would the majority of the parts swap over or would there be replacements needed such as hubs or BB?

KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | TARO

Thanks in advance

Jesse

mtbr member
    Thanks! I can't take any pictures right now but its definitely narrow! I have just 1 or 2 millimeters on the non-drive-side.

The Nobby Nic is definitely wider than the trailblazer that most people are running on the Honzo. I haven't been on the trail yet but on the street it feels fine. When I really mash on the pedals standing and pedaling, I was getting a slight rub, but nothing that would slow me down or damage the tire.
    Does the clearance increase if you push the sliders further back?

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If you pull them all the way put, you will get an extra millimeter or so, not worth losing the short stays. The 2.8 trailblazer wont rub at all, but honestly I am pretty sure the 2.8 nobby won't be an issue on the trail either. I will report back after the first ride this afternoon.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by JessterCPA View Post
    How difficult of a process would it be to swap my 2015 Kona Taro frame for a Honzo frame? Would the majority of the parts swap over or would there be replacements needed such as hubs or BB?

KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | TARO

Thanks in advance

Jesse

I'd love to help, but the data pages on konaworld lacks quite a bit of info.
    Assuming the seatpost diameter is the same and assuming that the taro has a 12x142mm rear axle all you'd really need would be a headset. The rest should come right off the taro and onto a honzo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Update: I will likely be selling my 29" wheelset. I don't know if I can go back to riding a non-plus tire hardtail.

If you are more of an XC rider then the drawbacks of the fat tires may outweigh the benefits. For riding the Honzo aggressively the way it's meant to be ridden, the 2.8 tires with low pressure really bring this bike to life.

Update: I will likely be selling my 29" wheelset. I don't know if I can go back to riding a non-plus tire hardtail.

If you are more of an XC rider then the drawbacks of the fat tires may outweigh the benefits. For riding the Honzo aggressively the way it's meant to be ridden, the 2.8 tires with low pressure really bring this bike to life.
    So the 2.8 NN fits without rubbing?
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I've been very underwhelmed with Kona customer support.

Love my Honzo, but done with Kona.
    That's too bad - I've had the exact opposite experience with them going above and beyond on multiple occasions. Both when I had a frame shipped with some weird circumstances, and whenever I've emailed them for support.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So the 2.8 NN fits without rubbing?
    Yep. A couple very minor rubs on the trail, only when standing and pedaling hard on a higher gear, or cornering really hard, but it's just a very minor rub, not grabbing the tire or anything. It seemed to be doing it less and less as my ride progressed today. I'm guessing once it wears down like half a millimeter it'll stop making any noise at all. Definitely love the Nobby nics and would still recommend the 2.8 for the rear, I'd happily get them again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I really want to stress that it was a very occasional rub and for very short bursts.

I really want to stress that it was a very occasional rub and for very short bursts.
    Looks great. I'm pretty happy with my 29x2.35 Nobby Nics on wide rims - they balloon out to almost 2.5. I'm very interested to see how the new Bontrager 29x2.55's measure.

Also just noticed you've got Onyx hubs - how are they??
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks great. I'm pretty happy with my 29x2.35 Nobby Nics on wide rims - they balloon out to almost 2.5. I'm very interested to see how the new Bontrager 29x2.55's measure.

Also just noticed you've got Onyx hubs - how are they??
    My 29er wheelset is Easton ARC 30 with Minion DHF 2.5's - this measures to about 2.7 with the tread. Even though the widths are similar, you just can't compare the ride quality... The traction with the ARC/Minions is great, but you won't get the same cushion as you'd get with a taller sidewall on plus tires.

The hubs are amazing! I had my reservations due to the weight (they are HEAVY), but it is totally worth it. Instant engagement that is not harsh at all (soft, clutch-like engagement) and the silence is really awesome. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the silence but it's bad ass just hearing these tires fold and grab around corners. I definitely recommend the hubs!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if there is a weight difference between the 2015 and 2016 steel frames? The Kona site says that the only difference is the new geometry. But given that the new geometry is a slightly longer frame, I would guess that there is a slight weight increase due to the extra material.

TDA Global Cycling

My 29er wheelset is Easton ARC 30 with Minion DHF 2.5's - this measures to about 2.7 with the tread. Even though the widths are similar, you just can't compare the ride quality... The traction with the ARC/Minions is great, but you won't get the same cushion as you'd get with a taller sidewall on plus tires.

The hubs are amazing! I had my reservations due to the weight (they are HEAVY), but it is totally worth it. Instant engagement that is not harsh at all (soft, clutch-like engagement) and the silence is really awesome. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the silence but it's bad ass just hearing these tires fold and grab around corners. I definitely recommend the hubs!
    Nice, good feedback. I'll be interested to hear an update from you in a couple months, as I believe LeDude flip flopped a bit on b+
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Does anyone know if there is a weight difference between the 2015 and 2016 steel frames? The Kona site says that the only difference is the new geometry. But given that the new geometry is a slightly longer frame, I would guess that there is a slight weight increase due to the extra material.
    It's going to be negligible. Tubing is the lightest part of the frame (~1mm thick), and we're talking 5mm.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice, good feedback. I'll be interested to hear an update from you in a couple months, as I believe LeDude flip flopped a bit on b+
    I know! I had a few conversations with him about it... There are definitely drawbacks, it totally depends on your riding style and terrain. I live in Northern Utah where it gets dusty 24 hours after a rain, so the traction is a big factor. Also, if you like to sit and spin on moderate climbs, you will hate the drag you get from the low tire pressure...

For me, so far, the pros way outweigh the cons - definitely won't be the case for everyone! I will definitely update again after I get more time on the setup :-)

mtbr member
    SB666, what is your internal rim width? I tried a 2.8 NN on 36mm derby rim. It didn't work in my 2016.

Micah the other difference is the loss of iscg tabs on the 2016 MY.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    SB666, what is your internal rim width? I tried a 2.8 NN on 36mm derby rim. It didn't work in my 2016.

Micah the other difference is the loss of iscg tabs on the 2016 MY.
    I don't know why they dropped those tabs... kinda lame.

I am running these on the new Spank Oozy 395 trail+ rims which there is ZERO information for online haha. These rims have barely been released yet, I think I am one of the first in the US to get my hands on them... They are right around 35 mill internal.

What tire pressure are you trying to run? I had initially set mine to 35 psi so that the bead could seat and to let the tires stretch a little bit. When I had them at 35, there was way more rubbing in the rear. Once I brought them down to the actual ride pressure of ~15psi, the rub became very infrequent. For a 2 hour ride, they rubbed for maybe 5-10 seconds, so barely any rubbing - definitely not enough to be a deal breaker, these tires kick ass! So light too, I really hope we see more of these + tires offered in the 800-900 gram range.

mtbr member
    Interesting insights into +sized tires! Has anyone on here tried a 29er Minion 2.4 WT yet? Would those be a good compromise between 27+ and standard 29 on the Honzo?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Interesting insights into +sized tires! Has anyone on here tried a 29er Minion 2.4 WT yet? Would those be a good compromise between 27+ and standard 29 on the Honzo?
    Thanks!
    I was running 2.5 minions front and back on my 29 hoops before going plus size.

Running a larger 29" tire on wider 29 hoops with lower tire pressure will definitely increase traction and to some extent it will dampen trail chatter... But it's not really a compromise. Ride characteristics are very different, you will SERIOUSLY notice the cushion with the taller sidewalls of the b+ tires and with the really low tire pressure you can run, your tires fold and grip much more through corners.

I had originally gone with 2.5 minions because I was looking for a compromise for the b+ wheels... After actually running b+, I can say that I DO NOT see those as a compromise. Still, fatter 29" tires are great and I preferred running the 2.5 minions over the 2.3's

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The only 2 drawbacks I have found in my limited time on this setup are:
    - rolling resistance with the 15 psi tire pressure is definitely noticeable, but only when sitting and spinning for extended periods, once you mash on it you will really just appreciate the increased climbing traction.
    - reduced bb height. I am measuring my bb height at 12" static which is actually the same as a stock honzo with 2.4 ardents and a 120mm fork. I am running a 140mm fork. Of course, since the fork has more travel and since the wheels have a good inch of squish to them, the fully 'bottomed-out' bb height will be lower with my setup than with stock, even though the static height is the same.

The rolling resistance is really not an issue to me, it's not that bad.
    So far the bb height hasn't been an issue - I am running 170 cranks and have been considering going down to 165's

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This may be a stupid question.... But does everyone else's 2015/2016 Honzo have slightly more tire clearance on the drive side vs the non-drive side?

This may be a stupid question.... But does everyone else's 2015/2016 Honzo have slightly more tire clearance on the drive side vs the non-drive side?

Are you sure your wheel is dished properly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Are you sure your wheel is dished properly?
    yes I believe so. It's uneven with both my 29er and my b+ wheelset. About 4-5 mm more clearance on the drive side. Always thought it was strange but didn't bother asking til now since the plus tire is such a close fit. So I take it that your clearance is not uneven then? I wonder if it's a frame defect?

Norđwegr
    My 2k13 would sometimes rub the right cs, never figured out what it was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here's a couple shots with the 2.8 tire. Again, it is uneven with both wheels and both were recently professionally built, so I doubt it's the dishing. Both dropouts are slammed all the way in, but maybe they are just a bit uneven from the factory? I'll play with that now.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1533.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1534.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I played with the sliders and got the clearance even, one side is definitely a hair shorter than the other, not a huge deal. This should sort out any of the minor rubbing I was experiencing - hopefully anyways!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Flip the wheel and install it backwards. If the gap moves to the other side then the wheel isn't dished properly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blkqi View Post
    Flip the wheel and install it backwards. If the gap moves to the other side then the wheel isn't dished properly.
    I think it was the dropouts in the end. I had them both all the way back but I'm guessing that one of them is just a half or a full mm shorter, which caused the wheel to sit just slightly off. Got it lined up now and clearance is perfect. Love it!

29ers Forever
    Is the 2016 ST painted?
    I want to buy the ST for the better ride characteristics, but if it is not painted I don't wanna go through the hassle of painting it myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Is the 2016 ST painted?
    I want to buy the ST for the better ride characteristics, but if it is not painted I don't wanna go through the hassle of painting it myself.
    There is a raw version that has a clear coat on it and orange/black decals and a glossy black version with green and blue decals. Neither could be painted without stripping them first.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    There is a raw version that has a clear coat on it and orange/black decals and a glossy black version with green and blue decals. Neither could be painted without stripping them first.
    Is the black Honzo a 2015 or 2016?