Page 33 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 3660
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix_C View Post
    Thought I'd share my Honzo with you guys.
    It's the 2013 frame with custom paint job (raw steel with clearcoat).

Attachment 902741
    Cables/hose could use some trimming, but the gray and orange is a good combo.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    @Felix_C

Where'd you find the Kona decals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post
    I've got about 100 miles on an XTR Clutch/Narrow-wide setup without the chain guide with no problems at all. Go for it!
    I've decided not to run a chain guide with this setup. The chain guide is rather loud, and with my Narrow/Wide chainring and clutch'ed short cage Zee derailleur I think I'll be just fine. Now if everything would just come in the mail

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm seriously considering bumping the stock Rock Shox Revelation travel to 140MM and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts regarding the upgrade. Anyone ridden both?

It's going to cost around $90. I love the Honzo's geometry and want to make sure I'm not going to regret the investment.

Norđwegr
    I've only ridden it with a 140mm and I love the bike. 120mm would have been too close to my xc rig in travel, so I went with the largest travel possibly from the get go.
    WTB:

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I like mine at 140. Wouldn't want it any other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    This.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    This.
    That makes me wonder how and where you ride because I keep thinking how perfect the 120 mm fork is for my mix of general riding and getting a little air time when I can.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    That makes me wonder how and where you ride because I keep thinking how perfect the 120 mm fork is for my mix of general riding and getting a little air time when I can.

120mm would be put through the ringer here (I weigh 240#)....unless I were moving at a crawl (not like I move that much quicker).

-pic by mountaingoatepics
    Trailwrecker at large

Bnerd
    I've ridden the stock Rev at 120 and 140.
    Once I took the travel bumper/spacer out of the fork and had my first ride at 140 there was no way I was going back to 120.

I found at 120 I had to really pay attention to my pedal stroke to not smash them. Especially when riding tech and climbing tech.
    I also bottomed the fork regularly and harshly while it was at 120.

At 140 all of these issues were fixed. I still bottom the fork on occasion. But not harshly.

For reference I'm a giant at 6'6" and 240ish geared up. And, live and ride in Whistler as well as all of the Sea-to-Sky corridor on the Honzo.

I'm going on my third season on the Honzo and I'm still in love! This bike rides hard!
    I just rode Cheap Thrills on my Honzo for the first time. And, I'm once again reevaluating what is possible on a hardtail! Although, I was worried about the fork folding under me while riding some of the steep and deep sections!
    Cheap Thrills is a black/double back steep and tech trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post

120mm would be put through the ringer here (I weigh 240#)....unless I were moving at a crawl (not like I move that much quicker).
    Interesting. I've been riding my dual suspension AM bike for stuff that is that rocky. Interesting to see how people use these bikes like it is to see the build choices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    @Equality 7-

My LBS had some guy custom make them for me. If you need some decals I could check with them and get you in touch with him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    @smilinsteve

Thanks! I loved the raw steel/orange combo on the 2013 Explosif, so much so that I had to get something similar.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    @Felix_C
    Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that some time in the future. Are you happy with the clear coat?

I think I'm definitely going to 140MM. Anyone know exactly which parts are required to convert a 2013 Revelation RL Solo to 140? I've tried to contact SRAM, and they seem to only want to talk to dealers.

This is what I *think* I need:
    RockShox Revelation Spring Internal Left Solo Air 26" 27 5" 29" 140mm | eBay

mtbr member
    All this 140mm talk makes me want to try it out now. Might buy the conversion kit Right now I'm looking toward going to a tubeless setup, as my factory WTB i23 wheels are tubeless ready, but the stock Maxxis Ardent's are not tubeless ready tires. I've read where a tone of people don't even use UST beaded tires for tubeless and it works out just fine. I'm usually not this cheap, but these Ardent's are seriously like brand new and I would hate to have to spend money on tires, will I be safe to run these tubeless with a Stans Kit? I've spent over $100 on tubes since I've had this bike for less than a year lol

mtbr member
    I'm running the Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 and 2.4 non-UST specific tires (basically the stock Honzo tires) just fine on a set of Sun Ringle Charger set up tubeless from day one. Zero problems whatsoever.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    All this 140mm talk makes me want to try it out now. Might buy the conversion kit Right now I'm looking toward going to a tubeless setup, as my factory WTB i23 wheels are tubeless ready, but the stock Maxxis Ardent's are not tubeless ready tires. I've read where a tone of people don't even use UST beaded tires for tubeless and it works out just fine. I'm usually not this cheap, but these Ardent's are seriously like brand new and I would hate to have to spend money on tires, will I be safe to run these tubeless with a Stans Kit? I've spent over $100 on tubes since I've had this bike for less than a year lol
    I've used WTB i23 rims with non-UST Ardents and they're holding up just fine even after passing them off to my agressive-riding coworker who's 6' 3" and 250lbs. I simply used the WTB TCS rim tape and Stan's valves to convert. I didn't buy a "conversion kit".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm running the Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 and 2.4 non-UST specific tires (basically the stock Honzo tires) just fine on a set of Sun Ringle Charger set up tubeless from day one. Zero problems whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    I've used WTB i23 rims with non-UST Ardents and they're holding up just fine even after passing them off to my agressive-riding coworker who's 6' 3" and 250lbs. I simply used the WTB TCS rim tape and Stan's valves to convert. I didn't buy a "conversion kit".
    Thanks guys! I'm going to order everything needed to convert today, the only thing that has been stopping me is not having the "right" tires, but I guess that doesn't really matter too much

Norđwegr
    The sidewalls on non-ust/snakeskin tires can be porous, but that's where the sealant kicks in.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks guys! I'm going to order everything needed to convert today, the only thing that has been stopping me is not having the "right" tires, but I guess that doesn't really matter too much
    You might need no more than stems and sealant. My factory wheels already had yellow Stans looking tape. Adding that my OEM Ardent tires inflated by hand with ease and have held pressure well after 1 day.

I'm 150 lbs running them 25 PSI or less rear, 22-23 PSI front.

mtbr member
    I've gotten almost everything in today, still have to shorten the brake lines and chain and finish getting the Zee derailleur set up. But after playing with the Saint shifter and XT Brakes I think I'm a Shimano guy now we'll see how long this King headset lasts before developing the dreaded "creak" and shredding my steertube lol I found out about the long travel issues King's have after ordering it...oops.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2689_zps7b16201c.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2691_zps79ef0e70.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2692_zps3d011467.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2693_zpsd52b4994.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2694_zps0f6b16ee.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2695_zps4734e47e.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2696_zps26e0747d.jpg

mtbr member
    *found out why the chain was so loose. I installed the derailleur with the tab in the wrong spot as to not put tension on the derailleur and keep it in place, it just swung back and forth

Norđwegr
    How did you size up the chain? Looks a bit long at first glance (despite of the clutch tab)
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    How did you size up the chain? Looks a bit long at first glance (despite of the clutch tab)
    It's the same length as it came stock. It's decent now that I have the detailleur in the right spot, but I'm still going to shorten it. I'm dropping by the LBS after work to grab a chain breaker and shorten it.

mtbr member
    It's decent now that I have the detailleur in the right spot
    I've found that I have to pull out the detailleur more often with the Honzo than many of my other bikes. That chainstay yoke seems to love catching muddddddd.

mtbr member

Anyone recommend a good rim wrench?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-purgatory.jpg

This is the suck. But I get a new wheelset out of it. The tire's name behind my destroyed wheel is quite appropriate. No riding on the upcoming 3-day weekend for me.

Norđwegr
    Is the rim too damaged to use a tube?
    Last edited by Vegard; 06-29-2014 at 05:20 AM.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Yeah I think so. It is basically folded in half with stress cracks all around the spoke bed. If I were to try bend back it will probably just snap off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

mtbr member
    Besides a chain (ordered KMC X10SL) this build is done for now. I start summer classes in a week so I'm just going to get as much riding in as possible and then finish the rest of the build come winter (wheelset, cranks, Reverb, etc.). My sister bought a nice camera recently so I had her shoot some pics of it for me. I'm driving up North a little this weekend to hit some fun trails before I'm tied down for a month starting Monday
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0296_zpse773bfd8.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0312_zpsa73c6959.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0298_zps498a9efe.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0303_zps7d79d3dd.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0314_zps64f68bbc.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0308_zps5abd75ca.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0306_zpsee847320.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0304_zpsddadb962.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Bike looks good DeArmond!

What wheels did you end up with?

mtbr member
    Thanks man! I don't have any wheels yet, I'm going to build them in the winter. I think I have my mind set on black Hope Evo 2 hubs with black spokes, orange nipples, and just reuse my i23's that I have right now.

mtbr member
    DeA, the bike looks good. It needs a bit of dirt here and there. Ride the crap out it while you can.

mtbr member
    Bling, nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    DeA, the bike looks good. It needs a bit of dirt here and there. Ride the crap out it while you can.
    Thanks! I plan on riding the crap out of it this weekend, its been down for too long!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Bling, nice!
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I plan on riding the crap out of it this weekend, its been down for too long!
    Cheers to you. My Honzo is down hopefully for only the next 3-4 weeks while my wheels are built. I have a spare wheel but the hub is the wrong axle size.

I'll be sure to drink enough beer and eat enough brats on the Fourth for most of us. Nothing like a day at the lake.

mtbr member
    Mine was down for about that time, and I don't have any backup bikes like a used to The struggle is real lol The Fourth and lakes go hand in hand!

mtbr member
    ^ No plans for a dropper?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to get a Reverb before summer's over

Norđwegr
    Any of you guys had issues with creaks in the rear?

It only occurs when I put power on the pedals, doesn't matter if I'm seated or standing so it's unlikely to be the seatpost. Re-tigthening the rear axle makes it go away for a little while.

So far I've cleaned and re-lubed
    Headset
    Chainring bolts
    Derailleur mount
    Pedals
    Axle threads and some on the shaft.

Installed a new XTR bottombracket with fresh lube so it isn't likely to be the culprit. The BB that came with the Zee crank only lasted 2 months, this particular creak developed shortly before swapping BBs.

Guess I should try lubing up the sliding dropout next?
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Yep mine also creaks when I put power on the pedals. I think it comes from the bb but you know how misleadings those creaks can be. Had my frame reamed and faced btw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Yep mine also creaks when I put power on the pedals. I think it comes from the bb but you know how misleadings those creaks can be. Had my frame reamed and faced btw
    Mine used to do it too, it was my stock FSA cranks. Since the BB's been replaced and everything re-tightened I can't think of what it could be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Any of you guys had issues with creaks in the rear?

It only occurs when I put power on the pedals, doesn't matter if I'm seated or standing so it's unlikely to be the seatpost. Re-tigthening the rear axle makes it go away for a little while.

So far I've cleaned and re-lubed
    Headset
    Chainring bolts
    Derailleur mount
    Pedals
    Axle threads and some on the shaft.

Installed a new XTR bottombracket with fresh lube so it isn't likely to be the culprit. The BB that came with the Zee crank only lasted 2 months, this particular creak developed shortly before swapping BBs.

Guess I should try lubing up the sliding dropout next?
    Clipless or flats?

My Honzo was creak free at the end of last season. Tore it down this winter and reassembled and from day 1 of this season I was creaking in the same instance like you, power on the pedals, standing and seated. First ride this season was cut short due to my Chromag skewer axle snapping off but that's another story. I started with the obvious, purchased a brand new Saint BB, although my old Saint BB felt relatively smooth. That wasn't it. Bought a new e13 chainring, (old one still had a good season left) and that wasn't it. Even though I made sure to grease the bolts, etc. Then I started looking at the derailleur hanger bolt and greased everything I could where it touched the hanger. Not it. Then started with the dropouts. Gorilla fisted tight and still creaked. Lubed them up. Still creaked, took off the grease, still creaked. Let me say the first few rides of this season were brutal. I wasn't concentrating on the ride, but going over in my head what's creaking. Cause there is nothing more aggravating to me on a ride than a creak that I can't find. Same goes for a rattle in the car.

So then I started messing with the pinch bolts on the SLX cranks. Used greased, then tried loctite. Varied the amount of torque on them. Almost wanted to switch for another pair of SLX cranks off my brother's bike thinking maybe a fourth season on my SLX cranks was enough for them. Then I decided to clean the grease/dirt collection off the springs of the Shimano XT 785 SPD mechanisms and installed new cleats on my shoes. Everything was silent from there on out. The only thing that had changed from my previous year's creak-freesetup were these pedals. They were brand new after receiving a new pair due to a warranty claim. Go figure because before messing with my SPD pedals, I switched to some flats, and I could only replicate the noise once, although it might have been something completely different.

Maybe all the bike needed was some dirt to quiet it down after all.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Any opinion on running outer cable housing from shifter all the way to the rear mech? I know this typically isn't done, just wondering if there is a reason NOT to do this. I figure there will be some more resistance in the shifter, but it seems like it will keep your inner cable much cleaner and give it longer life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epapa View Post
    Any opinion on running outer cable housing from shifter all the way to the rear mech? I know this typically isn't done, just wondering if there is a reason NOT to do this. I figure there will be some more resistance in the shifter, but it seems like it will keep your inner cable much cleaner and give it longer life.
    There's no other way to run derailleur housing on the Honzo. It's full cable housing from shifter all the way to derailleur. The only way IMO to run cable.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Excellent, thanks eurospek. My Kahuna didn't come this way, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be an issue moving forward with this build. Picking up the honzo frame/fork from my lbs tomorrow after work and getting this build started. Pics to follow soon!

Norđwegr
    Creaks really annoy the hell out of me, my bikes can make whatever other noise they wish, as long as they don't creak.

So yesterday after having lubed up every possible area, including teflon oil on the pedalclips; the bike still creaked. Annoyed by this fact I headed off to ride some trails that are mostly downhill, figured that'd get me the least amount of pedaling.

One of these trails have some jumps, and after landing like an angrybird the creak was gone!!

Hopefully it'll stay away when I swap the wheelsets tomorrow.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    FINALLY got out and rode this morning. This bike rides sooo much better! Not a creak or any other kind of noise for that matter and the new Shimano Saint/Zee combo shifted quiet and absolutely flawlessly. I can also see all of the rave in the XT brakes too. I can't wait to head out to Bentonville tomorrow. The only issue I did have today though was my rear axle coming loose. It's happened too in the past as well, anybody else's 12x142 pop loose?

Norđwegr
    Congrats, what's the final weight?
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Whenever I did a ghetto weigh (stand on scale w/o bike, stand on scale with bike) it came out to a dead even 30lbs. I expect to drop it more than that whenever I build my wheels in December and get these heavy suckers off.

mtbr member
    The only issue I did have today though was my rear axle coming loose. It's happened too in the past as well, anybody else's 12x142 pop loose?
    Not at all, I even had trouble getting it loose last time I had to take my wheel off