Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I think I heard that the latest generation of Rock Shox solo air forks require a new pushrod assembly to change travel... I think.

meatier showers

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I spent a week in Moab and did all the classic routes I could fit in. The Honzo did great and the only time I felt like I was getting beat up was a section of Porcupine Rim. If you've ridden that trail you know what I'm talking about. Moab riding is awesome. So many lifts/drops and long flowy lines. Sorry no action shots, I had to ride the fun hard routes solo.

Attachment 787687

Attachment 787688

The rough chunk of Porcupine Rim
    Attachment 787689
    Sweet pix! Were you there over Spring Break? I was in Moab last spring; this year a dozen of us went to Gooseberry Mesa 3/23-31 for a switchup (sorry to say I rode my Sultan but I wish I'd taken Honzo). Anyway LPS soooo rocks (literally!) Did TWE in Oct. '10 and then the lower stuff in spring '12 (snow above 7,500' kept us from getting higher) -- wutta place! I loved Mag 7 Trails, too... Honzo so roolz.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    how much does the whole bike weight 2013 version with compete build on the kona website? how does it climb? does the front end stays to the ground when you climb?

mtbr member
    Coming from singlespeed, I don't get worried about front end lift on climbs anymore. It happens; you can still climb out of the saddle effectively.

Bikes that don't lift while climbing unless you actively try to do so tend to steer like boats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here is a video of my Honzo and I going down Webb Canyon in SoCAl
    Webb Canyon on a Kona Hanzo - YouTube

I freaking love this bike! It is just too fun!

mtbr member
    Oh boy! Oh boy oh boy oh boy! It's so close to being done. Gotta throw a 29er 20mm thru-axle front wheel together (waiting on spokes).

I'm half tempted to ride it with the 26" wheel that's acting as a placeholder. "'What's that?' you ask? Why it's my 96er. Yes I know I'm doing it wrong."

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if a Continental Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4 will fit into a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3? I'm gonna put the 2.2 in the rear as I've read somewhere in this thread that 2.4 either won't or is a very tight call.
    Edit: I think it does, if I google the suspension most sites seem to say up to 2.4
    Last edited by dfuse; 04-13-2013 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am going to anyway since this is where all of the Honzo owners congregate...

I've narrowed my decision down to a Honzo or a Trek Stache. Without being too biased (hehe), what do you guys think? Bike will be ridden primarily on singletrack - quite a bit of climbing and just as much downhill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dfuse, here is a pic from Eurospek's Rev fork. It has a 2.4 Ardent on the front. I am not sure if a RQ/TK is larger than an Ardent.

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am going to anyway since this is where all of the Honzo owners congregate...

I've narrowed my decision down to a Honzo or a Trek Stache. Without being too biased (hehe), what do you guys think? Bike will be ridden primarily on singletrack - quite a bit of climbing and just as much downhill.
    can you live without a granny ring? This to me is the real difference, other than steel vs aluminum. No experience with the Stache or Trek, but I am sure it's a solid frame

mtbr member

That's a good question... and I don't know the answer to it. I've test ridden a Honzo on the street and it seemed fine, but it's hard to say how it would be on the trail. Last bike I had was a 3x9 - never had a 2x10 or 1x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Dfuse, here is a pic from Eurospek's Rev fork. It has a 2.4 Ardent on the front. I am not sure if a RQ/TK is larger than an Ardent.
    Ah, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally got my Honzo built up and out on the trails My first 29er, SS, and haven't ridden a HT in a few years. This thing surprised me in so many ways... very good ways
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-13.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-1.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-2.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-6.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-7.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-9.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-18.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-20.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-19.jpg

Build came in at 27lbs which is light for my standards.
    Frame: Small
    Fork: Revelation 140mm RCT3 dual air
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Experts w/ Stan's
    Tires: 2.35 Hans Dampf Trailstar/Pacestar f/r
    Brakes: XT w/ Ice Tech 180mm f/r
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster
    Bars: Renthal 780/30mm
    Grips: Renthal Kevlar lock-ons
    Stem: Renthal Duo
    Headet: CC 40
    Cranks: X9 w/ GXP BB
    Rings n things: 30T Bling Ring, 21T cog, KMC 401 chain
    Pedals: Canfield Crampon Magnesium (had a good hookup on these)

I actually have a 1x10 setup for it, but gonna stick w/ SS for now. I was able to climb stuff I thought for sure I'd be hiking... though I'm currently running pretty wimpy gearing lol.

I took it to pretty much the most hideous rocky/rubbly climbfest near me and I was all grins. Can't wait to get it on some flowier stuff!!
    Last edited by dirtysurfer; 04-14-2013 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    The links to the pictures seem to be broken?
    edit: seem to be fixed, and what a great looking build!
    Last edited by dfuse; 04-14-2013 at 03:13 AM.

mtbr member

I demo'ed a Stache before I got my honzo. Did not like it at all. Very harsh uncomfortable ride. An that is coming from a guy who (until now) rode strictly rigid bikes.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    I demo'ed a Stache before I got my honzo. Did not like it at all. Very harsh uncomfortable ride. An that is coming from a guy who (until now) rode strictly rigid bikes.
    Would love to hear more if you have time to type it out.

mtbr member

I don't really have much more to add except that in the parking lot it rode great, but as soon as I got it on the trails I couldn't wait to get off of it. I assume it felt that way because it is aluminum frame and all I've ever ridden were steel frames but as I have not ridden many aluminum hard tails I can't say for sure.

mtbr member
    dirtysurfer - BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the selection of parts and the monochromatic effect that it creates. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Dig the paint! Tell me more about this front Derailleur setup - I think someone else did this with success but I am interested in how you got it done....
    It was pretty straight forward. No different than setting up a FD on other bikes, but a couple of things to mind:

1. Need a Problem Solver backstop for the cable end.
    2. I am running a 2-ring with bash guard setup, so the turn in the seat tube that rotates the FD CCW a little doesn't effect the shifting. Not sure if you can run a 3-ring setup.

See pic.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5186sm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    dirtysurfer - BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the selection of parts and the monochromatic effect that it creates. Nice job!
    Really, I can't stop looking at it!

mtbr member
    Damn nice build and pics, Dirtysurfer!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    in the trees, dfuse, and carabao thank you! i'm really stoked on how it came out got over 40 miles of hill mashing and rear wheel surfing trail-jibbing joy on it now haha. had no idea a 29er could be this fun... i actually don't even think about the wheel size until i question why i'm rolling so fast.

also big thanks to carabao, eurospek, FM, and all the others that shared their build process experience and fielded questions!

mtbr member

Would you guys recommend a L or XL for someone that is 6'1" w/ a 34" inseam (or so)? I am having a hell of a time deciding which one will work best for me. I rode a large at my LBS and it felt fine. They didn't have an XL so I have nothing to compare to.

mtbr member
    Do you feel like you need an extra inch of Front Center?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Would you guys recommend a L or XL for someone that is 6'1" w/ a 34" inseam (or so)? I am having a hell of a time deciding which one will work best for me. I rode a large at my LBS and it felt fine. They didn't have an XL so I have nothing to compare to.
    I'm 6'0" and 33" inseem and ride L - it's perfect for me. Depends how big you like your bikes, my view (for what it's worth), there's a few tweaks you can make to a bike that's a bit small, but less you can do shrink a bike that's too big. Most bike fitting is based on seated position, but also bare in mind, you are likely to be standing more than you would on an XC bike. A few guys my size seem to for the 18".

Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast