Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 3,000 of 4177
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    Sorry if this have been ask, but can the 2016 Honzo ST handle 35mm wide RIM? I'm looking at the WTB ASYM i35 w/ a 2.35 wide tire. I was told wider is better / stronger for BIG people like myself.
    You can fit a 45mm Scraper rim and 2.8 Trailblazer in the rear of a Ti Honzo, which I assume has the same width as the steel frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    Sell one of the other 2, I had the same dilmemma and sold my other bikes (both full suspension) , and coming from a lifetime full suspension guy - I still have no regrets... The HONZO is my ONE bike (for now).
    i second that motion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Unfortunately yes, I have one too many bikes at the moment and the other 2 I can't part with. The struggle is real!

This is definitely a bad ass bike, but the money would be better used elsewhere. If I had a garage I could make it work, but it's sitting in my living room at the moment and my wife is getting sick of looking at it. I most certainly am not. I don't even watch TV, I just eat popcorn and look at this bike.
    sorry to hear that bro. it's a shame you have to let it go! i get the popcorn idea though, i'm on the same page if i could afford it, i'd make you an offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sell one of the other 2, I had the same dilmemma and sold my other bikes (both full suspension) , and coming from a lifetime full suspension guy - I still have no regrets... The HONZO is my ONE bike (for now).
    Hmmm. I've pained over the decision and I just can't give up my Thunderbolt or TBLTc. I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Just for fun:
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscn0530.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscn0494.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very nice stable....seems like the HONZO compliments those other 2 quite nicely.

But then again, most of us don't have enough time to ride 3 very nice rigs on a regular basis so I understand the need to unload and pare down the stable.

When I rode my HONZO a few times, I realized that I was very happy riding it all the time and didn't mind not having full squish in the back. I sold my fancy carbon fiber EVIL, and got a Ti HONZO. That's how much I loved the HONZO geometry.

If you really have to unload something, be honest when asking yourself which bike you ride the least or don't need. If it's the HONZO, then so be it....my personal opinion is that all serious mtn bikers who own more than one rig should at least have one hardtail.

One sure thing I noticed is that modern hardtail are way more capable than their counterparts from just a few yrs back.

Good luck with your decision, I went thru the same dilmemma - I'M uper happy I kept the HONZO..Ive been riding for over a decade (i'm an OG bike flipper) and this is my favorite bike out of them all...I plan on keeping it indefinitely..

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback on the i35 Rims !
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Very nice stable....seems like the HONZO compliments those other 2 quite nicely.

But then again, most of us don't have enough time to ride 3 very nice rigs on a regular basis so I understand the need to unload and pare down the stable.

When I rode my HONZO a few times, I realized that I was very happy riding it all the time and didn't mind not having full squish in the back. I sold my fancy carbon fiber EVIL, and got a Ti HONZO. That's how much I loved the HONZO geometry.

If you really have to unload something, be honest when asking yourself which bike you ride the least or don't need. If it's the HONZO, then so be it....my personal opinion is that all serious mtn bikers who own more than one rig should at least have one hardtail.

One sure thing I noticed is that modern hardtail are way more capable than their counterparts from just a few yrs back.

Good luck with your decision, I went thru the same dilmemma - I'M uper happy I kept the HONZO..Ive been riding for over a decade (i'm an OG bike flipper) and this is my favorite bike out of them all...I plan on keeping it indefinitely..
    Awesome affirmation for Honzo owners! I've had a similar experience coming from a Nomad.

Which Honzo did you have before you went Ti? How do they compare in terms of front end accuracy, rear compliance, and pedaling stiffness?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    Awesome affirmation for Honzo owners! I've had a similar experience coming from a Nomad.

Which Honzo did you have before you went Ti? How do they compare in terms of front end accuracy, rear compliance, and pedaling stiffness?
    I had a steel 2016.

The Ti HONZO tracks straight, rear compliance definitely is something that can be felt (even as a comparison from the 2016 steel). Pedal stiffness? Not sure ibunderstand what that is. I csn tell you it's efficient, but that's no surprise as it is a Ti hardtail.

The gam changer for me lies in the fact that the light weight of the Ti frame allows an older and more out of shape version of myself to conserve way more energy for the descents. The HONZO absolutely rips going downhill, I honestly don't feel that I'm going slower riding the HONZO compared to my recent full suspension frames I unloaded. I don't know for sure as I refuse to time my rides.

Disclaimer: HONZO is the lone ranger in my stable for now, but I do have a steel 150mm full suspension frame on order. Should be a perfect 2 bike stable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks like you really don't like carbon fiber frames huh? Honestly I can see why it's not the preferred material for hardtails but in my mind it's clearly preferable for FS applications. When it's designed/laid up right it's soooo strong and stiff that it really forces the suspension to follow it's intended path and do it's thing.

No doubt though steel is where it's at for HT bikes. Might I ask which FS frame you went with? Xprezo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmm you really don't like carbon fiber frames huh? Honestly I can see why it's not the preferred material for hardtails but in my mind it's clearly preferable for FS applications. When it's designed/laid up right it's soooo strong and stiff that it really forces the suspension to follow it's intended path and do it's thing.

No doubt though steel is where it's at for HT bikes. Might I ask which FS frame you went with? Xprezo?
    Not xprezo, Cotic.

I'm big on durability as I have a tendency to break shit. ( weird too because I'm a pretty light guy 160, but I ride some rocky/steep stuff so crashes tend to do damage tonbody and bike)

..I sold my evil following before I could have a chance to wreck if so I could fund something that I could have fun riding without worrying that I would break it.

But really, I prefer the feel and compliance of steel or titanium...makes trail riding more interesting/harder.

The mountain bikes these days (especially full suspension) are sooo damned good and well designed these days, they almost make riding too easy sometimes. Hardtails s too, especially the newer 29ers...you can ridebthem so hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Max, I actually really dig your current 3 bike stable...if ibhad your exact stable, and had to sell one - I would probably unload on of the full squishies....maybe the tbltc?

mtbr member
    Using the phrase 'first world problems' for posts like this would probably be an enormous euphemism.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had a steel 2016.

The Ti HONZO tracks straight, rear compliance definitely is something that can be felt (even as a comparison from the 2016 steel). Pedal stiffness? Not sure ibunderstand what that is. I csn tell you it's efficient, but that's no surprise as it is a Ti hardtail.

The gam changer for me lies in the fact that the light weight of the Ti frame allows an older and more out of shape version of myself to conserve way more energy for the descents. The HONZO absolutely rips going downhill, I honestly don't feel that I'm going slower riding the HONZO compared to my recent full suspension frames I unloaded. I don't know for sure as I refuse to time my rides.

Disclaimer: HONZO is the lone ranger in my stable for now, but I do have a steel 150mm full suspension frame on order. Should be a perfect 2 bike stable.
    Good stuff...thanks. Guess I should ask is if it could be too compliant.

I have a 2016 ST, have owned a 2013, a Steely in M and L, an Instigator 2.0, and a few Bizangos. Each has their own unique character and feel that comes from much more than the tubing.

For example...between the Steelys(same frame/different size) I could feel more compliance mostly ondownhill, not so much when mashing on pedals on the L. Must've been from the larger front triangle, because the rear triangle was close to the same. That compliance had a nice damped feel to it.

Now the Instigator...that had thinner tubing with a lot of engineering to it, like a fluted TT that flares out at the head tube. It is very stiff and precise in the front while being very compliant in rear. Unfortunately, the compliance could be felt on both the DH and when mashing. As for the damping, the front being so stiff was precise but a little off put by chatter. The rear was too damped, in that it would absorb bumps and drops but seemed to take too long to rebound.

Obviously there's a lot that goes into these subjective findings. Rider size and style play a huge role, but same rider on different bikes can make some interesting analysis.

Would love to hear you expand on your comparison in terms of compliance, damping, bounce, and pedal efficiency.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    Good stuff...thanks. Guess I should ask is if it could be too compliant.

I have a 2016 ST, have owned a 2013, a Steely in M and L, an Instigator 2.0, and a few Bizangos. Each has their own unique character and feel that comes from much more than the tubing.

For example...between the Steelys(same frame/different size) I could feel more compliance mostly ondownhill, not so much when mashing on pedals on the L. Must've been from the larger front triangle, because the rear triangle was close to the same. That compliance had a nice damped feel to it.

Now the Instigator...that had thinner tubing with a lot of engineering to it, like a fluted TT that flares out at the head tube. It is very stiff and precise in the front while being very compliant in rear. Unfortunately, the compliance could be felt on both the DH and when mashing. As for the damping, the front being so stiff was precise but a little off put by chatter. The rear was too damped, in that it would absorb bumps and drops but seemed to take too long to rebound.

Obviously there's a lot that goes into these subjective findings. Rider size and style play a huge role, but same rider on different bikes can make some interesting analysis.

Would love to hear you expand on your comparison in terms of compliance, damping, bounce, and pedal efficiency.
    I will compare to the 2016 Honzo Steel as that is the closest comparison I have:

The Ti Honzo is lighter (of course), the only real difference in damping/compliance that is noticable to me is the rear end of the Ti gives more as compared to the St. I feel it more during climbing than anything else.

Going downhill, the Ti is more nimble due to its lighter weight. Is it more compliant, more damped than the steel - YES, the impacts arent as harsh and you get more of a springy feel - the main difference in sensation can be felt in the front end of the titanium frame as it is more forgiving and there are moments when the rear gives me that Ti specific feedback but that isnt as prevalent as the front end compliance.

in short: I feel more compliance in the rear when climbing, and more compliance in the front end when descending. Overall, its a funner bike (than the steel) for an out of shape hack like myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Good job!

I will compare to the 2016 Honzo Steel as that is the closest comparison I have:

The Ti Honzo is lighter (of course), the only real difference in damping/compliance that is noticable to me is the rear end of the Ti gives more as compared to the St. I feel it more during climbing than anything else.

Going downhill, the Ti is more nimble due to its lighter weight. Is it more compliant, more damped than the steel - YES, the impacts arent as harsh and you get more of a springy feel - the main difference in sensation can be felt in the front end of the titanium frame as it is more forgiving and there are moments when the rear gives me that Ti specific feedback but that isnt as prevalent as the front end compliance.

in short: I feel more compliance in the rear when climbing, and more compliance in the front end when descending. Overall, its a funner bike (than the steel) for an out of shape hack like myself.
    thanks for the details

mtbr member
    Not xprezo, Cotic.
    I just bought a Cotic Solaris because I couldn't get a Ti Honzo . The reviews for the Solaris were excellent and because the parts I ordered came later than expected I had a lot of time to go over the frame. I was disappointed in the construction quality so it might be worth checking your new Cotic over thoroughly. Mine has undercut welds at the bb intesection, a daggy weld on the drive side dropout, paint overspray in the threaded bb shell, head badge falling off out of the box. I think the top tube has been ovalised too much at the seat tube and the sides of the tube extend past the seat tube without wrapping around it. Not quite what I was expecting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I just bought a Cotic Solaris because I couldn't get a Ti Honzo . The reviews for the Solaris were excellent and because the parts I ordered came later than expected I had a lot of time to go over the frame. I was disappointed in the construction quality so it might be worth checking your new Cotic over thoroughly. Mine has undercut welds at the bb intesection, a daggy weld on the drive side dropout, paint overspray in the threaded bb shell, head badge falling off out of the box. I think the top tube has been ovalised too much at the seat tube and the sides of the tube extend past the seat tube without wrapping around it. Not quite what I was expecting.
    Ouxh, good to know and thanks for the heads up....did they take care of you and send you a replacement frame?..why couldn't youbget a Ti Honzo? Last I checked at the end of 2015, Kona had a bunch in stock.

mtbr member
    Ouxh, good to know and thanks for the heads up....did they take care of you and send you a replacement frame?..why couldn't youbget a Ti Honzo? Last I checked at the end of 2015, Kona had a bunch in stock.
    Apparently I could get a 2013 model Honzo Ti but not a current model with a tapered head tube in Australia in the small size.

I've just built it up figuring it's not worth the hassle. If it made it past QC as it is, and without another frame to compare it against, I figured I'd have a good chance of ending up with the same quality but waiting longer to ride it. Even thoough I had a month to wait for parts I picked up all of those issues in the first five minutes of it being up on the stand.

mtbr member
    Not xprezo, Cotic.

I'm big on durability as I have a tendency to break shit. ( weird too because I'm a pretty light guy 160, but I ride some rocky/steep stuff so crashes tend to do damage tonbody and bike)

..I sold my evil following before I could have a chance to wreck if so I could fund something that I could have fun riding without worrying that I would break it.

But really, I prefer the feel and compliance of steel or titanium...makes trail riding more interesting/harder.

The mountain bikes these days (especially full suspension) are sooo damned good and well designed these days, they almost make riding too easy sometimes. Hardtails s too, especially the newer 29ers...you can ridebthem so hard.
    That Rocket looks like a hell of a ride!

Would you care to compare the following to the honzo?

Thanks!

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    Apparently I could get a 2013 model Honzo Ti but not a current model with a tapered head tube in Australia in the small size.

I've just built it up figuring it's not worth the hassle. If it made it past QC as it is, and without another frame to compare it against, I figured I'd have a good chance of ending up with the same quality but waiting longer to ride it. Even thoough I had a month to wait for parts I picked up all of those issues in the first five minutes of it being up on the stand.
    Hmm... There was no '13 Ti honzo, and the current (first and only) Ti model doesn't have a tapered head tube - it's 44mm like the early honzos, which takes a tapered fork.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Hmm... There was no '13 Ti honzo, and the current Ti model doesn't have a tapered head tube - it's 44mm like the early honzos, which takes a tapered fork.
    Any idea why no tapered head tube? Cost? Compatibility?

Not sure, as I think some of the other Ti konas had tapered head tubes. I think they changed manufacturers though, which might have something to do with it.

That said, all a tapered ht buys you is a "zero stack" bottom cup, which reduces the ht length by half an inch or less. Honzo ht length is already quite short.

Also note this is why the stack/reach of the Ti Frame differs slightly from the ST, despite identical geo.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not sure, as I think some of the other Ti konas had tapered head tubes. I think they changed manufacturers though, which might have something to do with it.

That said, all a tapered ht buys you is a "zero stack" bottom cup, which reduces the ht length by half an inch or less. Honzo ht length is already quite short.
    Cleaner look as well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    That Rocket looks like a hell of a ride!

Would you care to compare the following to the honzo?

Thanks!
    Thats a pretty impossible comparison to make...one being a metal framed hardtail, other being a plastic short travel.

So as to not ruffle any feathers, I will keep it short.

Evil Following - climbs amazing, light, rides deeper than its listed 120mm of travel - I would still bottom out more than I would like...so i sold it, got a Honzo and will supplement it with a 150mm travel metal bike

Kona Honzo - back to basic FUN! Low maintenance, super capable going downhill, did i mention it was fun...climbs okay - get a Ti if you want to climb faster, dont upsize and keep the Honzo nimble, its a big boys BMX bike...

mtbr member
    Hmm... There was no '13 Ti honzo, and the current (first and only) Ti model doesn't have a tapered head tube - it's 44mm like the early honzos, which takes a tapered fork.
    Interesting. Maybe we had it confused with a steel frame.

Sorry, it was the Raijin, not Honzo.
    Last edited by crank1979; 01-14-2016 at 03:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi Ledude,

thanks for your effort! I'm riding a 2013 Honzo since almost 2 years, coming from an Abra Cadabra...so I'm already enjoying the merits of the simple hardtail
    I'm kinda intrigued by the Following though, would love to test it one day, but I'm afraid there's not a single one available for testing where I live...

Cheers!

Rynee

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi Ledude,

thanks for your effort! I'm riding a 2013 Honzo since almost 2 years, coming from an Abra Cadabra...so I'm already enjoying the merits of the simple hardtail
    I'm kinda intrigued by the Following though, would love to test it one day, but I'm afraid there's not a single one available for testing where I live...

Cheers!

Rynee
    The Following is an outstanding bike, really great bike.

Keep in mind that there are a few 29ers that are about to be released that will try and follow the ethos and segment that the Evil Following created...the short travel, playful, super capable 29er trail bike segment is about to explode...

Explore the Following if you can get your hands on one...but know your list of options for a bike of that sort are about to get a longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Finally making some mods to mine:

Absolute Black 20t SS cog:

Blue Race Face Chester pedals:

Green Oury Grips:

Debating holding on to the 10 speed stuff for a future bar cruiser build, like a 90's Rockhopper.

Also considering an Ikon rear to decrease rolling resistance.

Pics!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey All,
    I am currently on a Transition Scout which is a bit more than I need for my typical trails, awesome as the bike is.
    I've come across a Honzo frame and was thinking of swapping parts over. Ideally, that would include the 27.5 wheels with some beefy (2.5 minimum) tires. I've seen some 27.5+ Honzo's through searching, anyone else ever ran 27.5's on these? I'm a bit worried about the BB height (also very low on the Scout, about 330mm uncompressed, and not a huge issue but wouldn't want it any lower) but I do like the 27.5 wheels over the 29ers? I should also note I'd be running a 140mm Pike up front so that would help a bit I suppose with the BB height.

Any thoughts/experience here?

What year frame? Only the newer ish ones have good rear tire clearance.

I have a 140mm fork too, and even with 29 in wheels the bb feels low. Unless you're running true b+ tires like 2.8s or larger, I wouldn't.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was looking at a 2015 but I do like the look of the 2016 raw steel. Frame is relatively cheap so leaning towards the '16.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michel77 View Post
    I was looking at a 2015 but I do like the look of the 2016 raw steel. Frame is relatively cheap so leaning towards the '16.
    Have you considered the explosif? You can get that frame cheap as well, kick ass 27.5 bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Pics!
    If these parts ever come in. Been waiting for days from two different sources for the pedals and cog.. this is the unfortunate reality of dealing with brands that the LBS doesn't distribute.

EDIT: Looks like my cog is not even going to ship until Friday - over a week after the order was placed! Don't shop at Outside Oufitters. I figured it would be pretty fast to order from somewhere in state, boy was I wrong.
    Last edited by jtbadge; 01-19-2016 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Where is everyone getting their Honzo frames from? Did bikeman get more inventory? They sold out right when I was ready to pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    LBS have titanium available to order. Steel frames are back ordered till spring. Not sure about Aluminum.

LBS for me too. Any Kona dealer should be able to get you a pretty accurate ETA from Kona if they don't have any in stock.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ti sticker on ST

Any ones ST frame come with Ti stickers? Mine did

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chops-bike View Post
    Any ones ST frame come with Ti stickers? Mine did
    Really? Let's see it!
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

Well my new frame FINALLY came in... but it's different than I originally planned...

Magnets don't stick to it and it's all shiny...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1145.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awwww yeah! Nice one man!!

You gon' post up a better picture than that?

Few things to finish up, then yes
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Anyone running 35mm carbon rims or similar on the Honzo? How has your ride improved?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Anyone running 35mm carbon rims or similar on the Honzo? How has your ride improved?
    Running nextie 35 external/30 internal. I'm 200 lbs and notice the difference more climbing and accelerating, easier and snappier. Descending, the front tracks better and holds a tighter line at speed. The profile improves cornering contact on 2.4 Ardents making knobs bite sooner. It's a nice upgrade that may negate the need for boost but still not necessary in my opinion.

If you're out to have fun, exercise, and adventure a set of flow ex can be stout and reliable and much cheaper. The ride will be different but we all adjust and get used to our bikes. Against the clock, enduro type of descending (some climbing), I'd say if 20 seconds over 5-10 minute segments matter than get them.

Not carbon, but Wtb i35s on mine. Turned my 2.35 into a 2.5 (actual measured width). Did well on my one snowy ride until my fork crapped out.

I'm very excited to ride them on normal summer trails. The increased volume is great, and they don't roll on the rim at all.

To me it's a no brainer if you're buying new rims, unless:
    -you only ride 2.2's or smaller
    -you only ride an already very square tread pattern tire and refuse to change
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    new fork 130mm pike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by l.j.silver View Post
    new fork 130mm pike

Very nice, I just put a 130 Pike on mine and loving it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a set of 35mm LB rims on DT hubs that are usually on my TBLTc. Threw em on the honzo and yaaaaaas! It's good. Only 165 a pop too so it doesn't hurt nearly as much as some other brands. Very happy with them, and the wheels are only about 1530g! Very stiff and strong, and big tires open up nicely on them. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Honzo build

Firt, excuse me for my poor english, since I' m not a native speaker.

I own a 2012 honzo, but would like to run 40mm innerwth rims with 2.8 or 3.0 27,5 wheel.
    This won't fit my 2012 honzo.
    Does anybody knows if it wil fit a 2016 honzo? Preferably the ti version.

Would love to know the space between the chainstays en the space between the seatstays. Can anyone measure these distances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dorretje View Post
    Firt, excuse me for my poor english, since I' m not a native speaker.

I own a 2012 honzo, but would like to run 40mm innerwth rims with 2.8 or 3.0 27,5 wheel.
    This won't fit my 2012 honzo.
    Does anybody knows if it wil fit a 2016 honzo? Preferably the ti version.

Would love to know the space between the chainstays en the space between the seatstays. Can anyone measure these distances.
    Hi,

welcome to the thread!
    you might want to check this out: Ti Tuesday: Visa?s Ti Honzo | KONA COG

and also this thread here: Someone please buy the 2016 Honzo Ti...

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi,

welcome to the thread!
    you might want to check this out: Ti Tuesday: Visa?s Ti Honzo | KONA COG

and also this thread here: Someone please buy the 2016 Honzo Ti...

cheers
    Yep i have seen both threads, but they are all with the wtb trailblazer. That tyre is not common over here and I would like to ride Schwalbe tyres.

So I am very interested in the space between the chainstays and seatstays.

I'm running 35mm internal rim with a nobby nic that measures 2.4in at 25psi. I have approx 3/8in on either side of the tire in the chainstays with the dropouts slammed. '16 Ti Frame. Hope that helps.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm running 35mm internal rim with a nobby nic that measures 2.4in at 25psi. I have approx 3/8in on either side of the tire in the chainstays with the dropouts slammed. '16 Ti Frame. Hope that helps.
    Thnx, can you tell me how wide your tyre is. Preferbly in mm's :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Freshly converted with an Absolute Black cassette cog and Surly spacer kit.

mtbr member
    Very sexy indeed!
    Please let us know what you think of the absolute black cog (it is narrow wide, right?) once you've done a couple of rides.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Very sexy indeed!
    Please let us know what you think of the absolute black cog (it is narrow wide, right?) once you've done a couple of rides.
    Thanks!
    Interesting... Am I missing something? Has anyone ever lost a chain on a SS setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also, beautiful bike! Love the pedals and grips, very nicely done!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Interesting... Am I missing something? Has anyone ever lost a chain on a SS setup?
    Definitely no reason for it to be narrow/wide, but it has a wide base and is pretty light, so I figured I would give it a shot.

mtbr member
    I cannot comment on the rear cog. But I did notice a major improvement when I switched from a normal 32 tooth chainring to a narrow wide one in a SS setup (on a 2011 explosif, which is also using sliding dropouts but Kona's earlier design), using an inexpensive chain. The chain apparently had strechted to different degrees along its length, hence it was not possible to get the correct chain tension. It dropped several times with the standard chainring, but I had no further drops once I bolted on the NW ring.

having said that, on a singlespeed forum many poeple voiced their opinion that the absolute black NW rear cog is overkill.

one more thing to consider is that with the NW profile, you're stuck with an even toothcount for the respective chainring / cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Definitely no reason for it to be narrow/wide, but it has a wide base and is pretty light, so I figured I would give it a shot.
    @jtbadge, did absolute black ship the cog together with the spacers? or did you get those separately?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    @jtbadge, did absolute black ship the cog together with the spacers? or did you get those separately?
    thanks
    Bought a Surly conversion kit.

Drivetrain | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    gotcha, cheers mate

mtbr member
    What is your ratio? I missed it. I would consider going SS if/when I get a second mtb.

And it looks like your at 120, is this correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    What is your ratio? I missed it. I would consider going SS if/when I get a second mtb.

And it looks like your at 120, is this correct?
    32/20.

120, at least for now. Build is stock outside of the SS conversion, grips, and pedals. Gonna hold on to the 1x10 Deore stuff to throw on a bar cruiser build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I need a boost 148 steel honzo frame!!
    sadface

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm getting my 2016 ST, large frame medio feb and really looking forward to build this thing up. But I have a question for you guys: Is there a need to face the BB and chase and face the headtube area?

The build is gonna be a mix of stuff from my old bike and some newer stuff:

X-fusion Trace fork (140mm atm)
    SLX crank with superstar 32t N/W
    Flow Ex/Hope 2 wheels
    XT derailleur
    SLX shifter
    Deore brakes
    Reverb 125mm dropper

mtbr member
    Lovely builds. Thinking about grabbing one this spring. Couple of semi-random questions:

1. The frame still has a threaded BB, yes?

2. Normal offset fork or 51mm?

3. What is the mystery bolt halfway up the down-tube?

4. Any tire clearance issues? I'm curious how this frame would handle a set of Ibis 941 rims.

5. How is the stealth dropper cable routed? I haven't seen a clear example, yet.

Thanks.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dines View Post
    I'm getting my 2016 ST, large frame medio feb and really looking forward to build this thing up. But I have a question for you guys: Is there a need to face the BB and chase and face the headtube area?

The build is gonna be a mix of stuff from my old bike and some newer stuff:

X-fusion Trace fork (140mm atm)
    SLX crank with superstar 32t N/W
    Flow Ex/Hope 2 wheels
    XT derailleur
    SLX shifter
    Deore brakes
    Reverb 125mm dropper
    I didn't prep my headtube or bb on my 2016 ST and it was all good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    South Central PA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Lovely builds. Thinking about grabbing one this spring. Couple of semi-random questions:

1. The frame still has a threaded BB, yes?

2. Normal offset fork or 51mm?

3. What is the mystery bolt halfway up the down-tube?

4. Any tire clearance issues? I'm curious how this frame would handle a set of Ibis 941 rims.

5. How is the stealth dropper cable routed? I haven't seen a clear example, yet.

Thanks.
    The mystery bolt is meant to secure the dropper cable as it goes along the down tube. It enters the seat tube just above the BB. You need something to hold it (not supplied).

Look hereHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-eddy_honzo_titues-2731.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks max_lombard. It's nice to see that it's mostly external cable routing. I'm liking this frame more and more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just picked my 2016 Honzo St up from the shop where they were doing the final assembly (I still have a lot to learn about this stuff so only got so far on my own).

Let's see..

130mm Pike
    Race Face Turbine BB, chainring, and cranks in blue
    Chris King headset in blue
    RF Atlas 35 stem and bars
    Stans Flow EX wheels
    WTB Weirwolf tires
    Performance Forte pedals
    XT rear D and brakes
    (Saddle and seat post are place holders until getting new)

bob

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-st-01-small.jpg

I gotta pee
    Honzo newbie here, just picked up my '16 al frame tonight

Grabbing my build donor bike

on Saturday and then having the rear hub swapped out to the new "standard" 148 hub and I'll be on trail by next weekend!!! I can't wait

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lookin good guys, should be some fun bikes!

Just a quick thread bump with a shoutout to SB666, max_lombardy, ledude, and beer_coffee_water:

Do you like my hose routing??????

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-hose.jpg

(please ignore hose length though - it's since been trimmed)
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Little hard to tell from that photo but it looks pretty good... I prefer to route my right hand controls both across the headtube and run them down the non-drive side of the bike though. I find they rub the frame less that way.

Sorry I should have been more clear... My front brake hose is mounted inside the fork leg...
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thats how it intended to be routed. what rims are those? i29 or i35

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah looks good. I'm sort of a nut about cable routing, I will fiddle with it until it's perfect. I may not be the best one to ask...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry I should have been more clear... My front brake hose is mounted inside the fork leg...
    YEAH Buddy
    !!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Noot, you should try putting your reverb lever on the left side it makes it look cleaner, but more important easier to drop when needed. also if your on the trail and you need to flip you bike to work on it. the remote lever wont get all scratched/ or worst break.

when I had reverbs that seem to work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    Thats how it intended to be routed. what rims are those? i29 or i35
    i35s. That rear nobby nic measures 2.5 on it

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    YEAH Buddy
    !!!!
    Well I'm glad someone remembers! Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    Noot, you should try putting your reverb lever on the left side it makes it look cleaner, but more important easier to drop when needed. also if your on the trail and you need to flip you bike to work on it. the remote lever wont get all scratched/ or worst break.

when I had reverbs that seem to work well for me.
    Thanks for the tip. I had tried mounting it on the left before but couldn't find a place I liked it. I just tried again and found a good spot, but due to where I have my levers the button either points down or up since the reverb remote body has to clear the brake master cylinder. Up is much more comfortable, but at risk for damage I guess... We'll see

Also I finally weighed the bike. 25lbs even, with the heavy rims and overweight NN's (800grams ?!)
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Well since I got called out, haha. The front brake line inside the fork is the way to do it. Yes it does lessen the chance of snagging to a small degree but more so protects from rocks crushing it during wrecks.

Also the reverb remote flipped to the left side is how I would run it but I have a left remote. 😞

Yeah noot! Bike looks good but where are the glamour shots you promised?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well since I got called out, haha. The front brake line inside the fork is the way to do it. Yes it does lessen the chance of snagging to a small degree but more so protects from rocks crushing it during wrecks.

Also the reverb remote flipped to the left side is how I would run it but I have a left remote. 😞

Yeah noot! Bike looks good but where are the glamour shots you promised?
    I think he is waiting for his gears to come in.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_240 View Post
    I think he is waiting for his gears to come in.
    He likes the SS. One day, I will try it. Just to see how bad I am without gears.

mtbr member

My Honzo last week on a trip to Spain to dodge the shocking English weather. The bike performed awesomely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome Shots. , I thought at first you where in Orange County, Ca,USA

I gotta pee

Got mine built up last night. Need new cables, and to install my dropper correctly (those 2 are related) but I'll be out this weekend. A quick pedal around the block and I'm a big fan of this thing!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just a quick thread bump with a shoutout to SB666, max_lombardy, ledude, and beer_coffee_water:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1048831

To the Inside of the fork front brake routing...**thumbs up** catastrophic failure avoided!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1048831

Dropper trigger on the right side? I didn't know they made people like you...

I gotta pee

Went and broke her in yesterday. Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever had that much fun on a bike in a long time. And coming off a carbon 27.5 Jekyll as my last bike I'm amazed at how flickable and how much traction this has in comparison.

Bnerd
    I've been keeping my bike addiction in check this winter. But, now that there's a a slight melt happening I thought I'd get out for a short spin.

Nope. Not yet.

As much as I'm drooling over the Ti Honzo, I'm still loving my original!

Skid
    Awesome '16 builds!

For those who are rockin' the new Honzo ST frame: How's the tire clearance? Would DHR II 29x2.4WT (61-622, ETRTO) fit fine?

I'm going to be placing an order for a medium ST frame in a couple weeks and will most likely be ordering up the rest of the build around the same time. I can't wait to bash the crap out of this beauty.

mtbr member
    Started with a stock Honzo last summer. Almost three seasons of Lake District abuse now just leaves me with the frame, headset, brakes, cranks and BB from the original stock build. It's been one hell of a ride though, safe to say this is the best bike I have ever owned, Honzo for life!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0996_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0939_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0861_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0851_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0812_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0659_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0666_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0670_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0560_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Here's my Kona Honzo I've had on order for a while, finally got built up yesterday. I bought all the components in advance and somehow they all fit, only thing I had to buy was the rear brake adapter.

Here a build spec as far as I can remember top of my head.

Kona Honzo 2016 St Medium
    Rockshox Yari 29er Fork 140mm travel
    Hope Enduro 29er Wheelset
    Specialized Purgatory tyres setup tubeless
    Raceface Ride Chainset
    Shimano 10 speed XT rear mech
    Deore Shifter
    XT brakes + rotors
    SLX Cassette
    HG95 10 speed chain
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Raceface Atlas Bars
    Raceface Half Nelson Grips
    FSA headset ZS no. 57 iirc
    Nukeproof Electron Evo Pedals
    Rockshox Reverb dropper + Charge Spoon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-psx_20160221_144732_resized.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160221_141325_resized.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160221_141315_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Cj91; 02-21-2016 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cj91 View Post
    Rockshox Yari 29er Fork 140mm travel
    What made you go for the Yari over the Pike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    What made you go for the Yari over the Pike?
    Price mostly, this was meant to have the 120mm float 32s from my other bike but I decided I wanted the bigger travel and thicker stanchions and to turn my other bike ss. Nearly bought some x fusions trace from 2014 for 350 but I went for these in the end for 440. They have the same chassis as the new Lyriks unless I'm misinformed and I'm not too fussed about the dials up top. If I want to upgrade it later I can get it done cheaply through work anyway.

mtbr member
    Yeah, saving $200-$300 I would have gone with the Yari too.

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Feb 2007
    carabao was a nice dude and let me take his Honzo ST for a spin. Now I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by H@L@ View Post
    Awesome '16 builds!

For those who are rockin' the new Honzo ST frame: How's the tire clearance? Would DHR II 29x2.4WT (61-622, ETRTO) fit fine?

I'm going to be placing an order for a medium ST frame in a couple weeks and will most likely be ordering up the rest of the build around the same time. I can't wait to bash the crap out of this beauty.
    I don't have experience with that specific tire, but my actual measured 2.5in NoNi has a ton of clearance.

So unless the DHRII is 2.8 or something crazy, you'll be just fine.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com