Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 3658
    mtbr member

El Honzo Rojo

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4876.jpg

FWIW, the red Honzo (sm) is going up on the market soon (this week). If anyone is interested, PM me. Frame only with both SS and geared dropouts.

It's a wicked ride- really fun, but was always a stop-gap frame for me as I've started building my own and need to free up the money for some tubing.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I picked up a Reverb 125, new saddle, and a Bell Super during to 20% off coupon. Picked a Minion 2.5 from an LBS and swapped the Ardent to the rear. Put my narrower carbon bars on and a friend gave me some orange lockrings. I love this bike. I need to school to end so I can get up into the mountains rather than stick to the close to town trails and city riding.

Attachment 884698

Attachment 884699

Attachment 884713
    Looks sick! The small frame really looks a lot more agressive as the larger ones.
    How is that tire combination working for you? Does it still roll decently?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM View Post
    I'm not really sure, we just had them lying around. They are just run of the mill terracotta planters, taking care of the volunteer Japanese Maple trees we planted in them last summer. That blue one may have came from Lowe's or Home Depot.

The needs of indoor and outdoor bonsai trees can vary drastically. Generally, indoor environments are drier and receive less light than outdoor environments, so you'll want to choose trees with lower light and moisture requirements.

Maple trees are one of the most common varieties and are ideal for the outdoor environment, but some of the hardier varieties, like junipers, are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, provided they are properly cared for and you will be able to re-use your pots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Looks sick! The small frame really looks a lot more aggressive as the larger ones.
    How is that tire combination working for you? Does it still roll decently?
    It provides a lot more grip and stability upfront over an Ardent. When you lean the Minion it grabs and pulls. It gets a little sketchy in scree over hard pack, less than the Ardent tho. Downhill is faster. I like the Ardent more moved to the rear, too. It finds more traction on climbs than an Ikon. I seem to have a bit harder time riding to a trail, but that could be my winter coat.

I originally bought the Minion for wet weather because it was starting to rain in the Central Valley of CA. It dried up after the LBS I ordered it from finally got it in. I went for the Minion/Ardent over a Butcher because it would have been more money to get the tire combo, Butcher/Ground Control, I wanted in Specialized tires. I wasn't leaning either way so money won out. I am happy with the decision because it has made me more confident in my bike. Having a front that stays planted and rear that swings around and stays up as I want is awesome. All of these tires are as big as you can get; 2.5 Minion, 2.4 Ardent, and 2.35 Ikon. I think my front tire is set and I will swap the Ardent and Ikon depending on what I want.

Spark Master
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman369 View Post
    Installed a Raceface n/w chain ring and I was wanting some protection. I came across this and had to have it
    Attachment 884776
    Attachment 884777
    The Blackspire Bruiser fits 26 to 32t Bike bling has it for $48
    Is it noisey? I'm about to put a N/W on my Taro and I'm scared it will get destroyed without a chainguide, but the stock one is loud and heavy.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." -H.G. Wells

Spark Master
    I am going to put a N/W chainring along with a raceface evolve crankset on my stock 2014 large Taro. Would it be better to go with 30 or 32 teeth? Why?
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." -H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    It provides a lot more grip and stability upfront over an Ardent. When you lean the Minion it grabs and pulls. It gets a little sketchy in scree over hard pack, less than the Ardent tho. Downhill is faster. I like the Ardent more moved to the rear, too. It finds more traction on climbs than an Ikon. I seem to have a bit harder time riding to a trail, but that could be my winter coat.

I originally bought the Minion for wet weather because it was starting to rain in the Central Valley of CA. It dried up after the LBS I ordered it from finally got it in. I went for the Minion/Ardent over a Butcher because it would have been more money to get the tire combo, Butcher/Ground Control, I wanted in Specialized tires. I wasn't leaning either way so money won out. I am happy with the decision because it has made me more confident in my bike. Having a front that stays planted and rear that swings around and stays up as I want is awesome. All of these tires are as big as you can get; 2.5 Minion, 2.4 Ardent, and 2.35 Ikon. I think my front tire is set and I will swap the Ardent and Ikon depending on what I want.
    Thanks! Always nice to see what other people are running as tires

Norđwegr
    I'm giving HD front and rear a go, then wimping out to something else on the rear should they be too slow.
    WTB:

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman369 View Post
    Installed a Raceface n/w chain ring and I was wanting some protection. I came across this and had to have it
    The Blackspire Bruiser fits 26 to 32t Bike bling has it for $48
    Nice. I've been thinking of getting one of these, but finding it a bit pricey. I'm still looking for less spendy alternatives. Thanks for posting.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The guard is not a guide so the chain doesn't touch it. As far as a 30t I have about 40mi on it with no guide and no problems yet and if you have a lot of uphills and your are fat and out of shape like me it helps a lot! My buddy has a reign and his granny gear is a lot lower and he kills me on the ups now with the 30t he can barely out climb me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just moved out to the West from Tennessee, the trails are VERY different here, much faster, flowier, longer climbs, longer downs, and I am getting beat up on my Honzo, soooooo

What full suspension bike would be a good compliment to my Honzo?

I'm think Process 123, though the 153 is also interesting...

I'm getting old, so my air time is much more limited these days, mostly what I'm looking for is a more comfortable ride, esp in the back end, and of course I like long TT/slacker front end set up which works well for me.

Anything else out there worth considering that has the same handling charac

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    What full suspension bike would be a good compliment to my Honzo?
    The 111 is, geometry-wise, a close match. With the 153 you will trade off some uphill prowess for downhill funtimes.

With that said, ride the Honzo into the ground for a few more months. Word on the street is that carbon Processes will be dropping in August. If you like your Honzo, I could see a 111c being a step in the right direction! (this is my plan!)

Bnerd
    Out enjoying some hang time on the Honzo today!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p4300169.jpg

@Vegard - I'm running the HD front & rear. I'm stoked on the traction I have. The only thing is if my rear wheel is slightly out of proper tension then I get tire rub on the frame. But I guess that can be viewed as a positive by letting me know I need to retension the wheel to run straight.
    As for the "slow" rolling of the HD, I can deal with it. Most of the climbs where I ride have enough tech on them that I don't find the tread slows me down. What it does is helps me out with the grip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like my Honzo, it's fun to ride, but it has it's limits; pedal strike, wheel lift, needs lots of room on switchbacks, and the lack of rear suspension can buck pretty hard.

It's a super fun bike on the down, it weaves through flowy single track pretty well for a big wheeler.

But, I need a climber with full suspension, I can see the light now that I'm riding faster and climbing longer.

I'm leaning toward the 134 because it should be a little more agile on the up, a little faster coming through the twisties, and it can't hurt to add a few mm if travel.

So, is it just me or does the Process 111 seem kinda pricey? It looks like you get more for you money in the 134 DL than the basic 111.

I'll keep the Honzo as a spare for my buddies to ride

Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    The 111 is, geometry-wise, a close match. With the 153 you will trade off some uphill prowess for downhill funtimes.

With that said, ride the Honzo into the ground for a few more months. Word on the street is that carbon Processes will be dropping in August. If you like your Honzo, I could see a 111c being a step in the right direction! (this is my plan!)

mtbr member

Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Starting the build of my honzoHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-uploadfromtaptalk1398971591731.jpg

eeeeeooooo

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Look here, I'm sick of telling you people, if I want to see shots like that I can just go to Kona World and see pics in high resolution.

You need to be more imaginative with your photography, upload shots taken from different angles, don't be afraid of photography, it's not rocket science, try thinking outside the box, give me something different buddy for fecks sake!!!
    That's a bunch of B.S.

Relax.

This thread isn't for masterful compositions. It's mostly just to say, hey this is what my build consists of and here's a quick photo or two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    That's a bunch of B.S.

Relax.

This thread isn't for masterful compositions. It's mostly just to say, hey this is what my build consists of and here's a quick photo or two.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | HONZO

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I decided to keep the Honzo, upgrading to an FS was outside my budget during a house remodel.

To address the lack of gearing, I ordered a smaller RF NW 30t (I have a RF 32t now), an XT cassette, a 40t sprocket, and a clutch derailleur.

Now for for the fork and lack of pedal clearance...

Can my stock 2013 Revelation be adjusted to 140mm?

Would I be better off getting a 140mm fork?

What fork is working best for folks?

If I like the way my Kona handles now on the down, and it's just "so-so" with the uphill performance, how much change am I looking at??

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RideEverything;11170366]Out enjoying some hang time on the Honzo today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4300169.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	889760

Those wheels look like 26" under you!

mtbr member
    So it turns out that I stripped the non drive-side pedal insert on my Honzo. Two questions:first, does the FSA Comet crankset that came with the bike use replaceable inserts? Second, if not, can I buy just the non drive-side crankarm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just for my perspective, Nurse, I race a Superfly hardtail w/ 100mm fork. My fun Honzo runs a 140 Fox 34, and it feels just fine, but climbs best out of the saddle (as many have already observed). You'll get the climbing technique down after a few good long climbs.

I also think this is a perfect bike to run SS. That is, I've run it 1 x 10 w/ 11-36, and single with 34:19, 20. I say try it SS -- your fitness and strength will improve quickly, and you'll save some cash. It sounds like you could just start with an easy gearing, like 32:20 and do fine.

Also, a great upgrade for the Honzo is lighter rims. I got mine with original Flows, and switch off to LB carbons sometimes: grand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm actually quite a seasoned rider, I rode SS for many moons, I am a solid climber on one gear and one wheel. An SS is fine in some places, but Wenatchee is not one of them. I am running a 30/36 now, got a 40 on order, that'll help, but the Honzo is a far cry from a climber, even with solid technique. I got my eyes on an FS...

rjx
    mtbr member
    Hi everyone.

I created a thread in the 29er forum "My First Build (Kona Honzo) - Any advice would be greatly appreciated."
    My First Build (Kona Honzo) - Any advice would be greatly appreciated

And I'd be thankful if you could take a look and share your thoughts with me on whether everything I've chosen to buy will work together. And I'd like to hear any advice you might have for me.

Also, if anyone has stock Honzo components laying around collecting dust, I'd be interested in buying them.

I'm looking for:

- Handlebar
    - Stem
    - Seat post
    - Saddle
    - Grips

Thanks
    Last edited by rjx; 05-12-2014 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ILVMTB View Post
    So it turns out that I stripped the non drive-side pedal insert on my Honzo. Two questions:first, does the FSA Comet crankset that came with the bike use replaceable inserts? Second, if not, can I buy just the non drive-side crankarm?

Thanks
    Heliocoil it.

Bnerd
    Those wheels look like 26" under you!
    Yeah, everyone says that it looks like a "regular" sized bike under me.
    But, I am a giant at 6'6".

mtbr member
    6'5" myself

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It is goddamn impossible to find a honzo frame for sale. None of my local dealers have or can get one and the only place that has them online will not ship to Alaska! WTF?!!?

Norđwegr
    There's a couple on ebay from Germany. Shipping to the US is €34.95 and the frame itself is €439.95. They only have 16" and 19" left though.

I bought mine from them last year, good store.

egobike_de on eBay

You can use XE.com to convert the currency.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which place won't ship to Alaska? Bikeman? I bet someone on here would volunteer to receive it in the lower 48 and then send it back out to you! (I'd do that for a 6 pack + reimbursement for shipping it to AK)

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    It is goddamn impossible to find a honzo frame for sale. None of my local dealers have or can get one and the only place that has them online will not ship to Alaska! WTF?!!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Like you, after moving out to Utah and with my age getting older, I thought I may be missing out and needed a FS bike. I went to the Fruita Fat Tire festival with a goal to demo some FS bikes and perhaps buy one within the next year. Well, the process 111 was my favorite but I didn't like it enough to justify spending the dollars over my Honzo! I did a post in the All Mountain forum. Below is the post if you would like to read about my experience...regarding the Honzo over the FS bikes I demoed:

I own a 2014 Kona Honzo and absolutely love it. I came off a Karate Monkey and when I use to live in Ohio, I had some dirt jump bikes (Scott Voltage & Black Market MOB). Since moving to Utah, I bought a Honzo about 8 months ago.

But I gotta admit, I sometimes think the grass is greener on the other side...regarding full suspension bikes, that is. I'm tempted every-time I get my new mountain bike mags in the mail and start reading about all the new coolness & trickness out there regarding the FS trail & all mountain bikes on the market.

Well, my son and I were at the Fruita Fat Tire festival this past weekend and I got to demo ride 9 different bikes on the various trails on 18 road and also Mary's loop and Horsethief. At first I didn't want to demo a new FS AM bike because I was perfectly happy with my Honzo and was afraid I would then end up finding that I NEEDED a FS...especially since I'm almost 48 now. However, since I never rode a FS bike before, I wanted to see what I was missing and if it would be easier on my older joints.

The bikes I rode were:
    - Kona 111 DL
    - Kona 153
    - Diamondback Mission (the new 27.5 that was just released couple weeks ago)
    - DB MASON FS Pro
    - Scott Genius LT700 (27.5)
    - Yeti 575 (27.5)
    - Niner ROS (parking lot only...started raining)
    - Trek Stache 8
    - Diamondback Mason pro (HT)

Well, don't get me wrong, all were great bikes but I was shocked because NOTHING I rode left me thinking...wow this rides so much better than my Honzo and I gotta have this. I rode my Honzo over the same trails as these demo bikes to compare the differences and I seemed just as fast on the downhills, launched over the same drops and jumps, and didn't seem any more beat up as I did on the FS rides. None of the bikes I demoed seemed too have the fun factor like the Honzo has either.

My favorite FS bike that I demoed was the Kona 111 and my favorite HT that I demoed was the Mason...although I think the Niner ROS would have won this category if I could have gotten it out on the trail...parking lot ride felt awesome but hard to compare when not trail ridden.

I always loved the Honzo but I was thinking of getting something new next year and was thinking FS but I'm scratching my head now because I can't seem to understand why I would need anything else than the Honzo...Honzo felt just as fast and just as comfortable but more fun riding.

By the way, the Honzo just rips on the 18 road trails...PBR was especially fun!

Was I expecting too much out of the newer FS bikes or what? Or is the Honzo's geo and chromoly frame along with a dropper seat post and 2.4 Ardents (front & back) just that good?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Couple of pics of my Honzo:Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-2.jpg

Norđwegr

Yep, that's fresh snow.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Which place won't ship to Alaska? Bikeman? I bet someone on here would volunteer to receive it in the lower 48 and then send it back out to you! (I'd do that for a 6 pack + reimbursement for shipping it to AK)
    Hashtag bikes is the only online site I can find that has the Honzo at all. Bikeman doesn't even have it on their page at all that I could find. Anybody parting with a Large or XL frame?
    Last edited by chugachjed; 05-13-2014 at 01:37 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi there, here is my Honzo
    20 L frame
    Stock fork (upgraded to 140mm)
    Stock stem and grips
    Stock wheels, wich are very tough by the way
    Chromag Fubars Osx
    SLX Trail brakes, 203, 180 six bolt discs
    SLX Cranks, R F Narrow Wide 32t
    Deore casette(lasts much longer)
    Zee derailleur and shifter
    Novatec 10mm QR rear hub
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20140512_161911_zps6ecd5ecd.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20140512_161911.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Where do you find the type cc derailleur hanger, because I emailed Kona and they said that I have to look for it at the dealers.The dealers said that this item is not longer available at Kona.So I understand that Kona is not producing this anymore, or what?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Octav, can you lead me in the right direction on how to convert the Revalation dual air to 140? Did you remove the spacer or buy a kit? I'm really thinking about doing the conversion, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Excuse my newbness....this is my first post on here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
    Octav, can you lead me in the right direction on how to convert the Revalation dual air to 140? Did you remove the spacer or buy a kit? I'm really thinking about doing the conversion, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Excuse my newbness....this is my first post on here.
    Workshop: How to adjust travel on a RockShox trail fork - BikeRadar
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the info. Seems fairly complicated. Migh have to wait for the off season to take that project on.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It's not complicated at all. I have the 2012 model and I just removed the spacer

Norđwegr
    Having put in some non-snow hours on the Honzo I got to say it feels rather odd with the 51mm pike on there. It'll steer like a 26" and still have that feeling of Jeremy Clarkson yelling POWEEEEER.

But it's odd in a good way!
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Honzo Sizing

Im 5'9" torn between small and a medium. My medium santa cruz heckler has a shorter TT and reach than the small Honzo.
    Last edited by jdacus310; 05-16-2014 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and the small was definitely right for me. I test rode a medium at a shop that only had a 120 fork on it and was slammed up in my junk when I stepped off. I had a small with a 140 Fox 34 on it and it was definitely the right size with that setup.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Do you guys recommend chasing and facing the BB and reaming and facing the head tube on a fresh honzo frame? I have a 2014 small on order.

mtbr member
    I did so, my lbs also recommended it, and it wasn't in his own interest because he didn't have the tools (a young guy who just started out).

Norđwegr
    Didn't have to do anything to my 2012 frame.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    May 2014
    two quick questions for all you honzo afficionados.I recently destroyed the stock deore derailleur and hanger. Which Shadow XT should I be looking at, long cage, short cage, etc..? Part number would be very helpful (im on a 2012 Honzo with the stock cassette for the time being). Also, anybody know of any places to buy the hanger? Seems like a tough part to find. Thank you in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I prefer shimano medium cage plus style derailleurs slx works fairly nice and when you do break them it won't break the bank to replace. As for the drop out its a standard part your local bike shop can order if they don't stock it, can also buy the 13-14 drop outs and convert to through axle

mtbr member
    I use the Zee 11-36 derailleur, looks good, cheap, performs great

Norđwegr
    I use the Zee 11-36 derailleur, looks good, cheap, performs great
    I second this, awesome derailleur for the price and with the single up front going larger than a small cage makes no sense. (Unless you're doing a 42t cog on the rear)
    WTB: