Page 30 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

The more I get acclimated to the handling of this bike, the more and more bad ass it gets with every ride!!! I have decided a dropper post is a must after playing around on some trails with the seat down. I always thought that it was just a "jumping" thing but discovered it is also great for cornering and pumping through tech.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363570170.673328.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363570198.074248.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363570238.940312.jpg
    Last edited by hallowedpoint; 03-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    semi-honzo related.... my buddy peaches got some fun helmet-cam footage of my dog Lulu! Thanks Ian!

LULU from Ian Hewitt-Woods on Vimeo.

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by Jablo2nski View Post
    It also allows multiple shifts up/down per stroke.[img]***************************/05.jpg[/img]
    [img]***************************/17.jpg[/img]
    ?????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    semi-honzo related.... my buddy peaches got some fun helmet-cam footage of my dog Lulu! Thanks Ian!
    haha nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi folks, after some advice please. Just bought a 2012 full bike (for a bargain over original price), so planning some upgrades. First off, if I want to go 10 speed, can I just replace cassette, chain, shifter and medium length (or short) mech? Or will I need to think about the free hub body and chain guide too? (both 2012 stock at the moment). Would love to know if anyone has done a 10 speed upgrade on the stock bike. Thanks.

mtbr member

Another Pic

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2149.jpg

mtbr member
    Just ordered my small Honzo frame Already have the wheelset for it, and will likely go with the 140mm Revalation RCT3 from CRC. Oh and XT brakes when a deal pops up (wiggles is out of stock).

Curious if anyone has thoughts on selecting drivetrain components. Been running SRAM 1x10 in 33 x 11-36 on my 26" rig. Might try Shimano with the Zee short cage der, and saint shifter. Was thinking the SLX 11-36 cassette should suffice. I was also planning a 32 ring in front, but wasn't sure if I should drop down to 30... I could handle a 34 on my 26er when I'm in shape. The part where I always struggle on builds is cranks! Anyone know an affordable option that aren't boat anchors?? Looking at chain guides, the MRP micro caught my eye... not sure if anyone has tried one yet.

Have most of the other stuff ordered or laying around. Oh, and dropper... that one is gonna break the bank but I can't live without one. I have a Reverb I'm afraid to even breath on but has been holding up after 3 warranties, so time to try something else (maybe the Lev). It's always funny what a cheap in simple hard tail build turns into haha.

mtbr member
    Dig your Honzo pics! Came across a bunch while researching the honzo. I'm in SD as well so will try to build mine up in a different color scheme

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitthew View Post
    Hi folks, after some advice please. Just bought a 2012 full bike (for a bargain over original price), so planning some upgrades. First off, if I want to go 10 speed, can I just replace cassette, chain, shifter and medium length (or short) mech? Or will I need to think about the free hub body and chain guide too? (both 2012 stock at the moment). Would love to know if anyone has done a 10 speed upgrade on the stock bike. Thanks.
    If you really have your heart set on changing out brand new drivetrain parts just for the sake of 1 extra gear go for it, but the stock parts are decent as is. I would keep them on until they wear out or fail, then shop for upgrades.
    You will need to change the shifter, chain, cassette, and derailleur if you go 10 speed. Chainguide and freehub will be fine as is.

My advice is to take the money you would spend on those parts, add some to it, and look at upgrading to a lighter, stronger set of wheels/hubs. You will notice more performance gains that way then you ever would with one more gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	782477
    a beauty!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    If you really have your heart set on changing out brand new drivetrain parts just for the sake of 1 extra gear go for it, but the stock parts are decent as is. I would keep them on until they wear out or fail, then shop for upgrades.
    You will need to change the shifter, chain, cassette, and derailleur if you go 10 speed. Chainguide and freehub will be fine as is.

My advice is to take the money you would spend on those parts, add some to it, and look at upgrading to a lighter, stronger set of wheels/hubs. You will notice more performance gains that way then you ever would with one more gear.
    It's not the extra gear, but that Shimano seem to be discontinuing 9 speed stuff for Deore and above. Slx 9 speed shifters are getting very hard to source and I began to wonder if I should jump on the 10 speed boat before wasting any money on 9 speed upgrades if I'm going to find I can't get a 9 speed derailleur in a few months/year - I really want to replace the shifter. But I think you're right, I'll find a shifter somewhere and upgrade the rest as it breaks and if I have to go 10 speed at that point, then so be it.

With regard to wheels, a few seem to be using Ringle Charger - how much of an upgrade would that be? Anyone actually made that change, or got a view?
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitthew View Post
    With regard to wheels, a few seem to be using Ringle Charger - how much of an upgrade would that be? Anyone actually made that change, or got a view?
    Thanks for your help.
    Eurospek has them on his 2012 Honzo, and I have them on my Canfield Yelli Screamy. We both picked them up during a crazy sale from CRC. Looking back, I wish I would have picked up two sets. I'll let him comment on how he likes his, but I am very happy with mine. I got them for right around $300 shipped last year, and I've seen them on sale a few times this year as well. It's going to be hard to beat the bang for the buck if you can get them on a good sale. They come tubeless ready, sealant and valves included in the box. Sun-Ringle also has great customer service from what I have read on here as well as other forums.

mtbr member
    Thanks-Let me know if you have any questions. Sweetwater/Rockhouse is my local trail. When you get it built up let's go ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysurfer View Post
    Dig your Honzo pics! Came across a bunch while researching the honzo. I'm in SD as well so will try to build mine up in a different color scheme

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Would you guys knock it off with all the updates. It's making me wanna ride my Honzo and I gotta wait!

mtbr member
    Dirtysurfer and Mitthew, I wanted to give you my thoughts on drivetrain. I love what I currently have and it shifts perfectly. It's instantaneous,crisp, quiet, and precise. I weigh about 200 lbs. and I stand almost the entire time, single speed style, but with gears, so I abuse chains and rings. My drivetrain choices were based on strength/durability first and price/value second. Here's what I'm running:

Shimano Zee derailleur
    Shimano XT shifter (capable of dumping two gears at a time by simply depressing or pulling trigger past a certain point)
    Shimano XT 10 speed cassette 11-36
    Renthal 35t single speed chain ring
    E-13 chain guide w/ taco bash, lower pulley removed (clutch derailleur makes it unnecessary)
    KMC 10 speed chain - I don't know what it is about this chain, but I feel like it's freaking strong and it shifts great! AND it's CHEAP.
    Shimano SLX cranks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    JoshM and carabao, thanks for the input fellas, very helpful. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Eurospek has them on his 2012 Honzo, and I have them on my Canfield Yelli Screamy. We both picked them up during a crazy sale from CRC. Looking back, I wish I would have picked up two sets. I'll let him comment on how he likes his, but I am very happy with mine. I got them for right around $300 shipped last year, and I've seen them on sale a few times this year as well. It's going to be hard to beat the bang for the buck if you can get them on a good sale. They come tubeless ready, sealant and valves included in the box. Sun-Ringle also has great customer service from what I have read on here as well as other forums.
    I love mine! Both of ours are the Experts, not Pro, which used regular spokes vs straight pull, and brass nipples. The hub itself is POE 30 vs 24 on the Pros, another bonus. For the money these can't be beat, hold up to a ton of abuse, super easy to go tubeless, etc. I've had personal experience with their customer service and they've been wonderful and even shipped me free replacement spokes. If I was building again today, I would definitely purchase again for the same price. If you can't find them anymore for this price, your next best bet is some Hope Pro2 Evo / Stans Flow EX 29er wheels from CRC for around $450, but lack any of the stuff to get you rolling tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Would you guys knock it off with all the updates. It's making me wanna ride my Honzo and I gotta wait!
    I know you don't mean that, so I'm posting pics when I get back from Moab!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks again to all for the views on drivetrain and wheels. Loving this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone tried the White Brothers Loop TCR fork? I am likely going to pull the trigger on a Large frame soon and I have everything sorted except for the fork. The Fox 34 is honestly overpriced in my book, so that is out. I could wait for the Xfusion 34mm stanchion fork, but that seems to be eternally delayed. White Brothers looks like a good option, but I was looking for some feedback. I would get the 140mm version

mtbr member
    I asked the same question, then went and bought the Revelation anyway.

mtbr member
    At the moment, the 2012 Revelation RTC3 from CRC for $488 is going to be tough to beat. You can even score the cheaper RL version for under $390.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Build Finally Finished

Picked the frame at the end of January and have been slowly piecing it together since.

Frame - Small
    Bar - Truvativ AKA
    Stem - Truvativ AKA
    Grips - Lock On Lizard Skin
    Brakes - SLX 180mm rotors (front and back)
    Fork - Revelation RL 130mm
    Cranks - SLX
    Chain Ring - Salsa 32t
    Wheels - WTB i23
    Hubs - Hope
    Tires - WTB WW 2.3 (tubeless)
    Cog - DMR 16t

Super excited to have this thing built up. I was/am planning on going 1x10 but decided to borrow my SS parts from another bike
    just to get it off of the workstand and on the trail. I had so much fun and was surprised at how well I was able to handle my local trail
    that I may end up keeping it SS for a while.

I thank many of you folks for all that you have shared. Your info made researching and building so much easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-konaresize.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-konaresize2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    At the moment, the 2012 Revelation RTC3 from CRC for $488 is going to be tough to beat. You can even score the cheaper RL version for under $390.
    This is true. I was hoping to use the 15mm American Classic hub I have on the TransAM, but I have the 20mm hanging around as well (100g heavier). It will probably be stiffer with the 20mm anyway. Its too bad there are no conversions for the front hub, so I will have to re-lace the wheel if I ever go to 15mm.

WNC Native

Small Honzo Measurement Request

Can some with a small Honzo grab a measurement for me? Please measure standover, in line with the front of the chainring. The geometry chart measurement is at the middle of the TT and I'm wandering if one of these is possible for my wife.

Thanks in advance,
    Nitrous
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Page 30 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast