Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

My Honzo

Had a very hard time to choose between the Trans am 29 and the Honzo, also had some custom thoughts, but finally went with the Honzo.
    The parking lot spinn left me very ambiguous, it's my first niner and feels very strange. Very hard to bunny or manual, guess that's the whel size, it's my first 29er. Coming from DH and street rigs, I built it as my new AM machine, hope the trail characteristics are different than the parking lot's.
    This bike replaces my beloved Blur 4X which will probably be buit heavier for free riding, it broke my back in AM, not very climbing friendly for a lower spine challenged rider.
    I really hope that once I'm on the trail I'll fall in love with it.
    The build:
    Reba RLT 20 TA
    SLX brakes
    Velovity Blunt over Hope pro 2 F and R
    LX cranks with 32 SS chain ring (CNC, don't remember the name)
    Sram X9 short cage and PC 990 cassete.
    Thomsons post and stem
    WTB saddle
    Crossmark rear Ardent Lust front (first time I'm using this one, and on the lot it didn't feel so good cornering)
    came to ~13.3 KG

Sorry for the crappy images, that's what my Galaxy S I is capable of with this lightning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-01-20-00.09.59.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-01-20-00.13.52.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-01-20-00.54.58.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-01-20-01.42.07.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-01-20-01.45.08.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Niiice Honzo's everyone! I can't wait to post up Honzo's lil bro the Steely, but need a couple more posts before MTBR will allow it.

eauxgod - let's see some pics post sticker removal...

MTB B'dos
    WOW, nice looking bike and build, very colour coordinated and blingy

Seriously, you call that "plenty" of clearance If that's "plenty" of room to you you obviously don't ever ride in the mud.
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    Plenty of room here too with Ardent 2.4s mounted to Charger Experts @ 40psi tubless for the initial set up...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post

Seriously, you call that "plenty" of clearance If that's "plenty" of room to you you obviously don't ever ride in the mud.

Plenty can mean adequate, sufficient, or as your taking it, an abundance of. I run 2.4 Ardents with the wheel slammed forward and their is adequate clearance for the type of dirt, mud, and debris encountered in Socal. If you ride in heavy clay-like mud, then I see how this would be insufficient. You could achieve more clearance by sliding the wheel back a 1/4" and the Honzo would still have shorter chainstays than the Chromag Surface and Transition Transam 29. It seems the all mountain hardtail 29er niche is growing, so their will be plenty of options down the road. Rumor is that Niner Bikes is developing one.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    Niiice Honzo's everyone! I can't wait to post up Honzo's lil bro the Steely, but need a couple more posts before MTBR will allow it.

eauxgod - let's see some pics post sticker removal...
    Here:

Last edited by eauxgod; 01-22-2012 at 08:39 AM.

banned
    Thanks

The original word was 2.4s would not fit, so one could gather from my pic that the tire is not smashed up against the yoke and there is "plenty" of room to spin freely. As far as mud goes, having less clearance means that the yoke will scrape the mud off therefore keeping the rotational mass down allowing for faster speeds which will sling even more mud off.

MTB B'dos
    OK, I guess going by that then, then yes there's room if you ride on dirt trails and never when it's wet. On your theory of the yoke scraping off the mud and keeping the weight down allowing you to go faster, it's a good theory, but in practice, at least here I find doesn't quite work. Although I don't have lot of clearance on my V1 Paradox (can't honestly run bigger than 2.25") in terms of mud clearing, I managed to not have a build up yesterday (super, super wet, muddy ride), while others riding we me did, but I attribute that to the narrower 2.25" CST Ousters and how great they shed the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    The original word was 2.4s would not fit, so one could gather from my pic that the tire is not smashed up against the yoke and there is "plenty" of room to spin freely. As far as mud goes, having less clearance means that the yoke will scrape the mud off therefore keeping the rotational mass down allowing for faster speeds which will sling even more mud off.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    eauxgod- I like what you did there with the decals. Any reason for ditching the dropper post?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Any reason for ditching the dropper post?
    Definitely sexier with the dropper. Need more room?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member

Another Updated Pic

You can't see 'em, but I'm running new XT brakes. Best brake ever.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    You can't see 'em, but I'm running new XT brakes. Best brake ever.

Awesome bike; awesome photo
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    NDS photo fail....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    NDS photo fail....
    I don't know why the photo is failing for you, but here's another try:

banned
    eauxgod- I like what you did there with the decals. Any reason for ditching the dropper post?

Thanks...no reason per se other than I just happened to have one laying around that came with a complete that I purchased last year. A dropper is not something that I see needing on a regular basis, but at least I have one for trips to real mountains....

mtbr member
    Any of you guys finding the BB too low at 12.2"? This is the lowest BB from all the 29er AM frames I'm looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I like low bb's

I think frames with low bb's handle better. Yes, you may hit your crank or pedal occasionally but it's a trade off. I'm on a shortened Marz 44 (maybe 110mm) that I dislike but haven't had too many pedal strikes on mine.
    2 wheels

MTB B'dos
    Dude, I'm gona beg you to please post up a bigger version of the pic below, awesome, awesome shot, absolutely love it, would like it for a desktop image, 1920x1080 por favor?

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=LyNx;8949543]Dude, I'm gona beg you to please post up a bigger version of the pic below, awesome, awesome shot, absolutely love it, would like it for a desktop image, 1920x1080 por favor?

Thanks! I'll work on it, but it was tough just getting this picture posted off of flickr. If you know of a site that hosts larger size pics, let me know. You could also pm me and I'd be happy to email it to you. Thanks again for the compliment.

mtbr member
    I don't find the bb too low, but I have had a couple pedal strikes. I think it's well worth the trade off for the stability and cornering benefits. If you're worried about it, I would go with the Transition Transam 29. Its head angle is only half a degree steeper and the chainstay is a bit longer, but I'm sure it's a nice ride. The only thing I don't like about that bike is the 30.9mm seat tube. The honzo has a 31.6 which I believe helps make the rear triangle and bb stiffer. I'm a heavier rider, so I appreciate this. It may not even make that big of a difference though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ride a steely, which is a degree slacker than the Honzo, and a 1/4 inch longer in the chainstay. I've also taken the Honzo for a couple rides. I think the differences in geo and wheel size act together to bring the 2 bikes to a happy medium making them ride similarly. The shorter chainstay makes it feel nimble for a 29" bike and the lower bottom bracket helps it in the corners. My old bike was 3/4 higher in the bottom bracket, and I don't have any issues with the occasional pedal strike. It's something you just relearn an never look back.

Michigan Wolverine
    Danggg, the Honzo is one sexy bike. I love that blue color so much.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    dude, i'm gona beg you to please post up a bigger version of the pic below, awesome, awesome shot, absolutely love it, would like it for a desktop image, 1920x1080 por favor?
    +100000000

Please email me the full res pic (see your PM) and I'll host it for you.

JB
    Any of you guys finding the BB too low at 12.2"? This is the lowest BB from all the 29er AM frames I'm looking at.
    I think the BB height is the only real flaw on this otherwise stellar bike (yeah it could always be lighter). I'm getting lots of pedal strikes running a 140 Marz, which means the BB is actually a bit higher than 12.2. It can be compensated for in your riding style of course, but again it comes down to individual preference and where you live/ride. For me, somewhere north of 13" is just right. I might experiment with 175 cranks too (currently running 180s).

I also think the headtube should be a touch longer on the bigger frame sizes. One size fits all HT doesn't make sense.

the air is thin up here..
    Dude, I'm gona beg you to please post up a bigger version of the pic below, awesome, awesome shot, absolutely love it, would like it for a desktop image, 1920x1080 por favor?

The full-res pics are here:
    http://www.mngnt.com/carabao/IMG_0985.JPG
    http://www.mngnt.com/carabao/IMG_0981.JPG

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for that, now have a nice, new desktop image
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast