Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 3639
    Bro Mountainbiker

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Mine was 28 with dropper post, light bicycle carbon wheels, and Marz 44 fork.

I replaced the rear rim with a flow ex, and will have a pike on the front. Might be a little less, but time will tell
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member

27.3 lbs with 2.4 Ardents and around 28.5 with the studded snows.

Norđwegr
    Thank you for the replies
    As mentioned on the previous page mine is 30lb 14oz / 14kg.

Small Honzo '13.
    140mm Pike.
    Hope 40t hubs on flow rims.
    Scwhalbe HDs.
    Magura MT2.
    Storm SL 160mm rotors.
    Shimano Zee crank.
    Shimano Zee derailleur.
    Shimano Zee shifter.
    XT Chain.
    XT Cassette.
    32t Raceface chainring.
    Hope DH stem.
    Cannondale foam lockon grips.
    Renthal fatbar lite.
    Procraft h-lifter seatpost.
    San Marco aspide saddle
    Eggbeater2 pedals.

Some changes are to be made when my wallet allows, the saddle will replaced with a heavier(!) RaceFace Aeffect. The rear tire will be one that allows somewhat better rolling. And I'm looking into a 180mm disc up front, I'm fairly light so I won't need that front and rear.

Not really sure where else I can save some grams without breaking the bank or the bike. If it gets alot of use the obvious ones will be a better crank, bar and wheels though.

Not entirely finished in this pic:
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-sam_4791_zps0f83f869.jpg
    WTB:

mtbr member
    28 lbs 11 oz for my '13 small as pictured earlier in your thread. I hope to drop weight as I add newer stuff. Under 28 with a dropper would be nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Al -- That build looks bananas. Well done. 28# w/ dropper is surprising. I suppose the Arch helps.
    Got some Kona decals, did ye? I dig the subtle outline on the downtube.

Funny, I've never cared much about bike (color) aesthetics, but this 2012 Honzo I picked up as a project has me considering a new powdercoat -- maybe Kawasaki green, or a neon day-glow yellow...

mtbr member
    Thanks- I'm digging it. Off the top of my head build list:

Fox 34 140mm RLC. 15mm thru.
    Titec Flat Tracker Carbon bars
    Specialized 75mm stem
    Ergon grips
    Formula C1 brakes
    CK headset
    Command Post dropper
    Hope seat binder
    Stans Arch wheel set (stans hubs)
    Purgatory Control 2.4 front
    Captain Control 2.2 rear.
    X0 Cranks w/ Wolftooth N/W 30t chainring
    XT cassette 11-36
    X7 Shifter
    X7 Rear Der
    Crank Bros Egg Beaters
    Specialized Phenom Saddle

Plan is to set her up SS after the spring passes and legs are stronger (recovering from an injury). Should take a little weight off to run SS.

Yeah- I was pretty hyped about the red. The only color I've really liked on any of the Honzos (my personal preference) has been the blue. Funny enough, that's what this one was before. The red works well with a lot of the components I already had around, so, lucky me .
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Norđwegr
    Can anyone point me towards a replacement rear axle? Mine broke.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What year honzo?

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Can anyone point me towards a replacement rear axle? Mine broke.
    I'm positive Kona would be happy to replace your broken axle.
    Try there first.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofee View Post
    What year honzo?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose View Post
    I'm positive Kona would be happy to replace your broken axle.
    Try there first.
    I sent them an email, but it being a rockshox/sram product I don't have my hopes up.
    WTB:

Norđwegr
    Kona US just refers me to Kona EU who don't reply to emails, even after Kona US forwarded my contact to them.

Guess I'm on my own, I did however discover that it's a regular 142x12 RS axle after a few days of email ping pong.

Once the frame dies I'm not getting another Kona because the CS so far is less than stellar.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    that's odd, my LBS (Kona dealer) is beyond helpful with any info/issue that ive seen come up. As in with any question Ive ever had he will get in touch with Kona while im waiting.

mtbr member
    oh forgot to post my original thought before seeing the axle issue.... the new "GREEN TINT" looks way better then on the Kona website.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So what is an acceptable asking price for an original blue L Honzo frame with King headset? Thinking of selling mine but have no idea what these things are going for used.

Bnerd
    New parts for a new season!

I picked up a lightly used pair of MTX33 rims and had them built up with the stock front hub and an X9 rear hub from my backup wheel. The spokes used are DT Champions with brass nipples.
    I'm hoping with this build my rear wheel woes are a thing of the past! This burly build should last me. And, because of the burl I'm willing to overlook the weight increase over the Charger Pro wheelset that these replace.
    I also installed the CB Mallet2 pedals that finally got sorted through warranty.

Instagram: The before the build/change over pic.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20140321_103313.jpg

New bike part smell!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p3210007.jpg
    With this new wheelset I'm hoping that they will compliment my aggressive smashy style of riding... and last!
    I'm still currently sorting out my KS Lev 150 through warranty. It has been a comedy of errors with me having to return the post 3 times in the past 3 months to remedy the issue. Hopefully it will be sorted this time around so I won't be without a dropper once the season kicks into gear.

Instagram: This selfie was a dangerous one! I almost crashed and flung my phone in the process!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20140321_135732.jpg

There's still plenty of snow in Whistler but the riding has been happening almost all winter in Squamish. I think with the new parts build I'm going to have to make my way down there soon to satiate my bike ride jonesing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    So what is an acceptable asking price for an original blue L Honzo frame with King headset? Thinking of selling mine but have no idea what these things are going for used.
    $400-$600
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    for you guys that also own or have ridden Kona Unit's, can you tell a big difference in handling? Im just curious as im either going to convert my Unit to a geared bike or build a Honzo. Feedback please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Lamey-the unit is a sweet bike for SS but if your going geared go with a Honzo, if you are looking for a more playful bike. That said, if you are looking to have a geared xc bike stay with the Unit. (my opinion)

Vegard- Your LBS should have been able to just tell you that all you need to do is buy a Maxle 12x142, no big deal there. As for Kona, I have ridden Kona Bikes since 2003 i buy new models just about every year, as for warranty they have taken care of me and friends of mine very quickly. In fact in those years I've seen 2 broken frames, my 2008 Dawg Deluxe, which they gave me the Supreme model at no extra cost with the upgraded rear shock, and my friend broke his Tanuki which they upgraded to a Deluxe for him as well.

Almost finished up with my Process 111 DL build, just waiting on my Absolute Black Chainring to show up and ill be riding can't wait! I wish they had the same green finish on the 111 from the Honzo, but the red works too.

mtbr member
    thanks Shoofee, that's kind of what I was figuring!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    $400-$600
    $600 is pushing it when the frame retailed for under $550 in 2012.

A 2012 with a Kind headset, although repainted sold for $425.

I think posting it for $450-475 would be fair, and I wouldn't take less than $400. But if I was buying, it's hard not to just get a brand new 2014 frame, with the new 142x12 rear end, slightly revised geometry (at least XL is, idk about the L), and a lifetime warranty for only $539.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo_summer.jpg
    Here is mine.

M-Size 2013

Following customizations:
    34x19 singlespeed (Velosolo / Chris King)
    2.35" Racing Ralphs, running tubeless with yellow stan tape
    DT240/DT comp race/Funworks Atmosphere XL -wheelset
    Xtr pedals
    SLR XC saddle
    Enve DH 800mm carbon bar

Weight 11.75kg = 25.9lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oddis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honzo_Summer.jpg 
Views:	3085 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	879674
    Here is mine.

M-Size 2013

Following customizations:
    34x19 singlespeed (Velosolo / Chris King)
    2.35" Racing Ralphs, running tubeless with yellow stan tape
    DT240/DT comp race/Funworks Atmosphere XL -wheelset
    Xtr pedals
    SLR XC saddle
    Enve DH 800mm carbon bar

Weight 11.75kg = 25.9lbs
    Look here, I'm sick of telling you people, if I want to see shots like that I can just go to Kona World and see pics in high resolution.

You need to be more imaginative with your photography, upload shots taken from different angles, don't be afraid of photography, it's not rocket science, try thinking outside the box, give me something different buddy for fecks sake!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Photo snob. Just don't look at the pics then.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ditching the stock junk FSA cranks for a new set and BB. Currently thinking either Raceface Respond or Shimano Zee. Any opinions?

Also, what's the BB width? 83 or typical 63/73?

mtbr member

I have Zee on my Krampus and I like the setup a lot. Believe it's on the heavier side compared to some, but it takes the hits...

mtbr member
    If you are after a new crank look into a Sram set that can go spiderless. They can take direct mount rings that range from 26t to 36t (Wolftooth Components). If you are set on 104 BCD cranks get a set of SLX M665 they are built just like Zee yet nearly as light as a set of XT cranks. There is a thread about the lack of differences between SLX and XT cranks somewhere here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    If you are after a new crank look into a Sram set that can go spiderless. They can take direct mount rings that range from 26t to 36t (Wolftooth Components). If you are set on 104 BCD cranks get a set of SLX M665 they are built just like Zee yet nearly as light as a set of XT cranks. There is a thread about the lack of differences between SLX and XT cranks somewhere here.
    Those are nice but a little pricey. The 104 stuff is good for me since I have a RF 30t Narrow wide ring already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New to forum lovin my honzo!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

Stock xl honzo running tubless, renthal fatbar light and more comfy seat. This thing is a blast! I have an extensive moto background (Desert racing SCORE, Enduros-the rougher the better) I like to go fast and I love the way it handles w my 6'4" 230 frame. I have the 140 shaft on order for my forks and have a question on a 30t chain ring for the stock cranks. I want to be able to switch back and forth. I had a downhill that I was looking for just a little more so the 32t works fine there and a lot of other rides I was needing a 30t ha ha! I'm looking for an inexpensive chain ring and want to keep the chain guide so I dont have to mess with the chain length. What do u guys recommend?
    Another note the orange seal valve stems dont work with the stock wtb TCS rims the hole in the rim is too big. The sealant and tape works awesome doesn't loose any psi no flats and no Burping at 20 psi hammering rocks with my big arse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman369 View Post

Name:	honzo.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	882350

Stock xl honzo running tubless, renthal fatbar light and more comfy seat. This thing is a blast! I have an extensive moto background (Desert racing SCORE, Enduros-the rougher the better) I like to go fast and I love the way it handles w my 6'4" 230 frame. I have the 140 shaft on order for my forks and have a question on a 30t chain ring for the stock cranks. I want to be able to switch back and forth. I had a downhill that I was looking for just a little more so the 32t works fine there and a lot of other rides I was needing a 30t ha ha! I'm looking for an inexpensive chain ring and want to keep the chain guide so I dont have to mess with the chain length. What do u guys recommend?
    Another note the orange seal valve stems dont work with the stock wtb TCS rims the hole in the rim is too big. The sealant and tape works awesome doesn't loose any psi no flats and no Burping at 20 psi hammering rocks with my big arse!
    I know you said you want to keep the guide, but do yourself a favor and get a narrow wide ring. I got the race face 30t one for my stock cranks, dropped the guide, dropped quite a bit of weight, and in the past 3 months of HARD riding I haven't dropped one chain. I'll never go back to the old stuff. You can find the race face one for $20-30.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have Shimano XT cranks w/ a wolftooth 30t without a guide and have not lost the chain yet on any grueling downhill runs or through rock gardens. If you could lose the chain guide I would definitely recommend that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Will the stock hardware work with the race face 30t? All of the ones I have seen have different recommendations with bolt size tab spacing etc etc and the stock chain length works fine?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^Getting rid of the guide cleans things up nicely down there. Same hardware should be fine with a 30t ring. 104 BCD. Chain length won't change significantly. But just stick with a 32: stand up and pummel; you'll get stronger fast.

Though, you might want to throw a bash ring on the outside. I use BBG -- strong, light, cheap: Home

Chronic 1st-timer
    After 2 yrs on the Marzocchi TST44, the Honzoschmidt finally gets what it deserves....150mm of Pikey plushness.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2014-04-04-13.25.45.jpg
    Time to schralp!

33# as it sits
    Last edited by lubes17319; 04-15-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman369 View Post
    Will the stock hardware work with the race face 30t? All of the ones I have seen have different recommendations with bolt size tab spacing etc etc and the stock chain length works fine?

Thanks for your help!
    I just had to get some slightly longer chainring bolts. Your LBS will have them. I didn't even have to get shorten the chain.

mtbr member
    Anyone using a honzo with a marzochi microti at 140??

eeeeeooooo

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by jallll View Post
    Anyone using a honzo with a marzochi microti at 140??

eeeeeooooo
    I ran the non-Ti version @ 140mm since 2012.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looking to get a long travel fs 29er pretty soon to compliment my Honzo. I feel like my 2013 XL Honzo fits me like a glove. Which FS 29ers have similar geo? (I know the process 111 is bascially a fs honzo but I want more travel).

Bnerd
    Got out for my first ride of the season today.

I've changed up the wheelset. I picked up a lightly used set of MTX33 rims and had them laced up to the stock Formula front hub and an X9 rear hub from a back up wheel I had.
    So far so good!
    I only had one moment of rub on the frame from the rear tire. But that was when I was powering through on an off camber section and the back wheel slid and caught hard against a root. I'm quite sure that any other wheel would've flexed too.
    I feel very confident that I finally have wheels that will withstand my smashy style of riding. I ride the Honzo like it's a FS bike and sometimes that make for less than smooth line choices!

Some pics. It was a solo ride so, unfortunately, no action shots.

My Honzo waiting for my legs to feel better.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p4050002.jpg

A new season of dirt!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p4050007.jpg

At the end of the ride.
    I almost had my ass handed to me a few times on the ride! The bike definitely can go faster than my skills on this first ride of the season!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p4050015.jpg

It wasn't as muddy as I thought it was going to be. And, as a bonus, it didn't rain like it was forecast to do.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p4050016.jpg

mtbr member
    I wouldn't dismiss the Process 111 too fast bud, in my opinion it rides like a bike with way more travel. Have also ridden a Satori and hated it, it gives no trail feel whatsoever. I'd say that any more travel than 120mm on an FS 29er and you'll just plough through everything. That may be your thing but its certainly not for me, prefer the rear end to stay slightly more lively.

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon

Mah HONZO. I HAZ A HONZO

Honzo small 2013
    White Bros Loop fork 120
    WTB ST i23 Tubless
    CST Cabalero 2.5
    Kona Stock 720 bars
    Raceface generic 85mm stem
    Thomson setback seatpost
    Selle Italia transam Max saddle
    clark orange anodised (bling) lock on grips
    demolition nylon polymer pedals
    Shimano Zee crank /BB
    Raceface 32t chainring (orange bling)
    Shimano SLX cassette
    Hayes Stroker Ace front
    Hayes Stroker Trail rear
    Orange zipties to hold it all in place

I still have some chain adjustments to make, considering taking off the chainguide entirely since I'm running the raceface wide/narrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mine after 500 miles of abuse
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-084_zpsc2d277c1.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Mine after 500 miles of abuse

Name:	084_zpsc2d277c1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	883147
    Which size it is? Really beatiful bike

eeeeeooooo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks. It's a large frame.

mtbr member

Thanks to Art's Cyclery

I picked up a Reverb 125, new saddle, and a Bell Super during to 20% off coupon. Picked a Minion 2.5 from an LBS and swapped the Ardent to the rear. Put my narrower carbon bars on and a friend gave me some orange lockrings. I love this bike. I need to school to end so I can get up into the mountains rather than stick to the close to town trails and city riding.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-minion.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-saddle.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-bars.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New chainring and some protection

Installed a Raceface n/w chain ring and I was wanting some protection. I came across this and had to have it
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bash-guard-2.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bash-guard1.jpg
    The Blackspire Bruiser fits 26 to 32t Bike bling has it for $48

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks nice. I have the same ring and dropped the stock guide too. It'd be nice to have something between the chain and the SoCal rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM View Post
    Honzo small 2013
    White Bros Loop fork 120
    WTB ST i23 Tubless
    CST Cabalero 2.5
    Kona Stock 720 bars
    Raceface generic 85mm stem
    Thomson setback seatpost
    Selle Italia transam Max saddle
    clark orange anodised (bling) lock on grips
    demolition nylon polymer pedals
    Shimano Zee crank /BB
    Raceface 32t chainring (orange bling)
    Shimano SLX cassette
    Hayes Stroker Ace front
    Hayes Stroker Trail rear
    Orange zipties to hold it all in place

I still have some chain adjustments to make, considering taking off the chainguide entirely since I'm running the raceface wide/narrow.
    Where did you get those plant pots from?

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    I'm not really sure, we just had them lying around. They are just run of the mill terracotta planters, taking care of the volunteer Japanese Maple trees we planted in them last summer. That blue one may have came from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast