Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the insight FM!! Really digging the honzo, and wanted to try a different bike manufacturer since i haven't in awhile haha. Checked out the pics of your build, looks ridiculously fun (especially w/ the small frame)!

Considering a custom build with Easton Haven's and Revelation RCT3. Anyone know a good place to purchase a honzo frame??

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    They are both great, but I'm stoked to have the Honzo. Steel, shorter stays and sliding drops! A buddy has a paradox, also a great bike....

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysurfer View Post
    Anyone know a good place to purchase a honzo frame??
    Bikeman.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post

Also, the fact that everybody seems to put a 140mm fork on the thing makes the Eff. TT lengths longer than advertised. So put that in your pipe and smoke it a while...
    By my precise calculations, the 20mm of extra travel has only added .1" to the ETT in my size. A whopping .1".
    Quote Originally Posted by mathieusaintjean View Post
    Photoshoped!

6'3" on a large... And really don't regret it

Xl is probably for Green giant?
    I'm 6'4" on the XL. Go figure. Best fitting bike in years.

May contain nuts
    Upgrading the stock 170mm cranks - what length cranks do people prefer on these bikes? (5'10" on 18" med) Is 175 a pedal-strike fest?

I run 175 on my ReignX without any bother... but it has a 13.8" BBH unsagged (12.5" sagged).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    A whopping .1".
    Hey, that's a >1/4 of a stem size! :P

My point was that top tube length is the wrong number to fixate on.

It (the extra fork length) also adds to front center and trail number, so I'd contend that it's more significant than your calculations of ETT would suggest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    Hey, that's a >1/4 of a stem size! :P

My point was that top tube length is the wrong number to fixate on.

It (the extra fork length) also adds to front center and trail number, so I'd contend that it's more significant than your calculations of ETT would suggest.
    I'll agree with you on that, coming from a 24.5" ETT on a previous bike (Transition TransAM), I was very hesitant about going with the XL Honzo 26" ETT. Some of you on here know that it was a long process for me on deciding between a few of these AMHT 29er frames last winter, endless days of comparing geos in a spreadsheet that I have put together, but ultimately I've learned to really focus on reach of a bike most importantly, everything else then just falls into place. The biggest issue for some people still is getting hung up on standover clearance, which to me is the last thing I look at these days. Luckily I'm of a taller height and usually never on the cusp between 2 sizes, because then I would really be going nuts trying to decide which size frame, although the decision between the L 25" ETT and XL 26" ETT Honzo was quite long too, first bought the 25" ETT frame, mocked it up fit components, sat on it gently, and it was like déjà vu all over again with the cramped TransAM feeling that I wanted to get away from. Returned it and bought the XL frame.

mtbr member
    I agree that front center is the most important measurement from a handling perspective: Waltworks Bicycles: Front Center: It Works, *****es

I'll agree with you on that, coming from a 24.5" ETT on a previous bike (Transition TransAM), I was very hesitant about going with the XL Honzo 26" ETT. Some of you on here know that it was a long process for me on deciding between a few of these AMHT 29er frames last winter, endless days of comparing geos in a spreadsheet that I have put together, but ultimately I've learned to really focus on reach of a bike most importantly, everything else then just falls into place. The biggest issue for some people still is getting hung up on standover clearance, which to me is the last thing I look at these days. Luckily I'm of a taller height and usually never on the cusp between 2 sizes, because then I would really be going nuts trying to decide which size frame, although the decision between the L 25" ETT and XL 26" ETT Honzo was quite long too, first bought the 25" ETT frame, mocked it up fit components, sat on it gently, and it was like déjà vu all over again with the cramped TransAM feeling that I wanted to get away from. Returned it and bought the XL frame.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Upgrading the stock 170mm cranks - what length cranks do people prefer on these bikes? (5'10" on 18" med) Is 175 a pedal-strike fest?

I run 175 on my ReignX without any bother... but it has a 13.8" BBH unsagged (12.5" sagged).
    I think pedal strikes are going to have more to do with a riders bad habits. I have a few rides in on mine and so far, I've had zero pedal strikes (I ride 175mm cranks). I'm sure I will have some pedal strikes at some point but when I do, it will be MY fault not the BB height.

mtbr member
    Sorry man, but I had to copy you with that orange bar. They'll still look different because I have a white fork, black seatpost, and there's no snow on the ground in San Diego.
    Totally stock exept the atlas bar

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah! My seatpost is a silver Thomson... And i'm waiting for a stem of this fruit's color!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    Bikeman.com
    Yes! Highly recommended!

May contain nuts
    I think pedal strikes are going to have more to do with a riders bad habits. I have a few rides in on mine and so far, I've had zero pedal strikes (I ride 175mm cranks). I'm sure I will have some pedal strikes at some point but when I do, it will be MY fault not the BB height.
    Agree - to a point. The unexpected rock/root you don't spot still hurts...

Also, being a plodder not a spinner and being my first 29r, I'm interested in hearing how others are coping with the shorter crank/low BB.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Agree - to a point. The unexpected rock/root you don't spot still hurts...

Also, being a plodder not a spinner and being my first 29r, I'm interested in hearing how others are coping with the shorter crank/low BB.
    Well, I'm a singlespeed masher myself and every other bike I've had have been XC with pretty high bb's and it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Hope that helps :-)

mtbr member
    Pedal strikes will def happen with lower travel on the Honzo. When I ran it at 110mm, it was rock strikes galore, at 140mm, a rare event.

meatier showers

Photoshoped!

6'3" on a large... And really don't regret it

Xl is probably for Green giant?
    I'm also 6'3"... 36" inseam... riding an XL and wouldn't change a thing.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Pedal strikes will def happen with lower travel on the Honzo. When I ran it at 110mm, it was rock strikes galore, at 140mm, a rare event.
    Crank length? 170 or 175s?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    SLX M665 175mm, straight from my TransAM build. Along with the brakes. Not much else had made the switch over.

meatier showers

I'm running 195mm cranks (that's not a typo). Yeah, I hit the ground quite a bit. But I've been running cranks this long (or longer) since '94 so I'm used to dealing with them. By "used to dealing with them" I don't mean that I hit the ground excessively... it's amazing how much the brain learns & accommodates, even for something like ground clearance.

That said, if I could change one thing about my Honzo, I'd raise the BB shell an inch... maybe an inch and a half.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I'm running 195mm cranks (that's not a typo). Yeah, I hit the ground quite a bit. But I've been running cranks this long (or longer) since '94 so I'm used to dealing with them. By "used to dealing with them" I don't mean that I hit the ground excessively... it's amazing how much the brain learns & accommodates, even for something like ground clearance.

That said, if I could change one thing about my Honzo, I'd raise the BB shell an inch... maybe an inch and a half.

--sParty
    Holy crap. That puts things into perspective... ~100mm clearance on flat ground.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is it possible to change the travel in the revelation of the honzo of 2011/2012 to 140mm?

lidless ascender
    You probably meant 2012/2013, right?

Anyway, the answer is yes.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

lidless ascender
    Sorry, double post.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Got a local shop to do the head tube machining halfway; turns out they didn't have the over-sized reamer for their park tool.

Facing tool, yes. Reamer, no. Probably going to have them do the reaming too after seeing how far off the bottom face of the head tube was though.

Mechanic literally did a double take as he re-adjusted the mill to take off extra material. It was that far out of square.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

So, what size frame for 5'10"? Sounds like either S or M depending on rider preference?
    I'm 5-9 on a Medium with a 40mm stem and 140mm fork and find it perfect after two rides. Set up next to my medium 2009 Giant Trance X3 with stock stem, the distance from the handlebars to front of seat was nearly identical and the lowest point of top tube was the same distance from the ground. I think a small would have been too compact for me as I have longish arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    I'll post some pics up soon...
    Looks wicked indeed. Definitely an awesome color choice, especially with the shiny black decals. FS if anyone wants to grab it, search eBay.

Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast