mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    Who makes that bottle cage....sick build btw
    Thanks!
    Elite bottlecage: http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/...ox/ciussi-inox

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Man, I need more four day weekends! I am thankful for rain hitting the Central Valley finally.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-party.jpg

mtbr member
    @gillis blackest and sexiest 2016 steel so far! absolutely fabulous

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you SB666! I'll shoot RockShox an email.

Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    This is a typical issue with the pike. The lower damper seal wares out... The new one introduced for 2016 is much more robust, that lower seal is the only change they made - I rebuilt and older pike damper with it, everything else was identical.

SRAM will likely send you a 2016 damper assembly for free under warranty... See if your lbs will contact them or you can try to contact them yourself. SRAM is pretty top notch with their warranty - even if you're already out of warranty. They will send you the damper disassembled but it's a fairly straight forward rebuild, documentation is available on their website. Otherwise your lbs will probably charge about $60 to do it for you. If they don't cover it under warranty, I still recommend the 2016 upgrade, it will be much less prone to failure.

mtbr member
    I'm stuck between getting the Honzo AL DL or buying a Steel frame and building it up myself. I also can't decide if a medium would fit me (5'11") or I should go large.

I want it to feel aggressive, be aggressive, hit rocks, jumps, etc and still climb.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Interested in this too. I'm pushing 5'11" and have ordered a medium due to the bike's long numbers. Also want it as a 'flickable' alternative to my dually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unless you're into XC racing I'd go steel every time. It rides soooo much nicer

Also i'm kind of A nerd about this, but there's nothing better than building your own bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There are two advantages to building a steel Honzo up yourself that I can think of:

1- The ability to run a 140mm fork right off the bat

2- Steel's material properties taking the edge off of aggressive riding and air time (I would rather land wrong on a steel honzo than an aluminum one)

I have been on a 2012 Honzo (pimped to my liking) for a few seasons - I went with it because I wanted bike that would give me confidence downhill since I genuinely enjoy climbing. With that disclaimer in mind, I have no problem climbing on my Honzo.

The Honzo AL frame is lighter than the steel frame - you could make an objective argument that it's less weight to climb with and you would be right. But that's only part of the picture and I personally would take steel over aluminum and simply ignore the weight penalty.

And whatever you get, slap a dropper on it!

Quote Originally Posted by chazreign View Post
    I'm stuck between getting the Honzo AL DL or buying a Steel frame and building it up myself. I also can't decide if a medium would fit me (5'11") or I should go large.

I want it to feel aggressive, be aggressive, hit rocks, jumps, etc and still climb.

PS- can't chime in on sizing sadly, 6'6" on an XL!

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Feelin' Surly View Post
    Some great builds! Couple of questions if I may:

1) Does anyone know if the 2016 Honzo can accept an angleset? Looks a bit steeper than other 'on-trend' AM 29ers.

2) I'm 5'11" with a 32 inseam and like 50mm stems. I'm thinking the medium, but if anyone has a recommendation for a large i'm keen to hear it.

Thanks heaps in advance.
    I think inseam plays a bigger role in which size to get. I'm 6 foot and all legs (34.25 inseam). I had a 2012 large steel Honzo set up with a 50mm stem. Recently built up a 2016 large Ti Honzo (longer ETT than '12) with a 35 mm stem. I had debated the medium, but the large frame with uber short stem is awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One thing no one has mentioned yet is that the aluminum frame has a boost rear end (and I am guessing a boost 110mm fork?)
    That's something to consider - would it be a deal maker/breaker for me? No. But it's a factor to consider... The harshness of an aluminum frame compared to a steel frame could be negated by running some 3" wide tires with low pressure.
    I built my 2015 after the aluminum was already announced, steel was a no brainier to me, but my bike search was sparked because I wanted a steel hardtail, I landed on the honzo after already knowing I wanted an aggressive STEEL hardtail.
    I think both options are great and I would at least be interested in trying out an aluminum at this point, especially if it's outfitted with some cushy tires.
    Also, building a bike is a great experience, but make sure you are up for it (assuming you don't already have a lot of wrenching experience).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    And whatever you get, slap a dropper on it!
    As much as I enjoy my dropper, I am not sure this is a necessity for an AMHT like a Honzo. I took carabao's advice and started riding with my fixed post dropped for the whole ride. I always stood on climbs anyway. So far with 2 rides of 10-12 miles each it has been a blast. I know that's not crazy distance, 20+ miles, but the rest of the trails around me have had snow lately. It has allowed me to stop thinking about my post's position which is great do to the up and down nature of the trail I have available. I am relying a lot more on my legs now but I am going to keep at it through the off season to see how I do. Along with my new routine of weight training I think should be fine and fit enough to tackle a horrendously steep mile long climb in my area when spring hits.

mtbr member
    Hi beer_coffee_water,
    cudos to you (and your legs apparently) for pushing the honzo with the seat dropped. I rode my 2013 honzo with the stock post for a couple months in the beginning, and it was a PIA, especially because the seat tube was apparently a bit wider than the post, hence the post would shift and move downward slowly during riding no matter how much I tightened the seatclamp.
    I always ride seated, hence this was a huge issue, as I had to adjust the post before and after each climb. But it was completely remedied with the kindshock dropzone, which has a rough outer finish and meshed nicely with the inside of the seattube. all movement has gone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also: You can buy the AL frame-only direct from Kona, and build that up however you wish. The AL is lighter, but the steel will have a better fatigue limit and it's more compliant.

After racing DH for many seasons, I've been impressed with what my steel Honzo has handled without failure (both terrain and crashes). It manuals/drops/jumps/handles in the air perfectly (esp considering the big hoops) and climbs great with a 140.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think Steel is he way to go. I haven't had a steel framed bike since mid 2000s on my Azonic DJ bike. Being able to load it up with Shimano XT or SLX appeals to me, as does a nice Pike.

Still debating on size, I'm hoping a LBS will get at least the aluminum version in so I can determine which size to go with.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can someone explain the cable routing for an internal dropper? Where does it exit and any gripes? I'm familiar with the tried and true external routing on older models.

mtbr member
    It runs externally along the down tube via bolted clamps (not supplied with the frame) and enters the frame through a grommet at the bottom of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rynee. It is still an experiment so far. I haven't sold my dropper 😉. We'll see how it's goes come springtime. I can't wait to smash that mile long climb.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Kona Honzo SS - Raw frame

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona2.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona1.jpg

Hi all - I found this 2013 Honzo frame stripped down and clear coated for a more industrial look. I notice the new ST frame now has a similar finish from the factory. It really looks awesome! I built it up single speed for the Colorado Front Range trails. I was skeptical of putting a 140mm Rev on it but it really handles well in all but very slow speed situation. Sick bike!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmac83 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	1033172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona1.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	1033173

Hi all - I found this 2013 Honzo frame stripped down and clear coated for a more industrial look. I notice the new ST frame now has a similar finish from the factory. It really looks awesome! I built it up single speed for the Colorado Front Range trails. I was skeptical of putting a 140mm Rev on it but it really handles well in all but very slow speed situation. Sick bike!!!
    Sick looking rig.

Ever tried it with a shorter stem? It kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Earlier this year, I asked this thread’s advice about which fork to stick on my Honzo - Fox 34 Evo, Pike or X-Fusion Trace RL2. The general consensus was buy a Pike, but hunt down a deal. Well, I did.

Jenson USA had, (and still has, at the time of this post) a Pike for $599 as part of a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. Naturally, I ordered it. The thing should arrive next week, just in time for riding season to be over.

Anyway, the catch was that the fork only came in the 150 mm travel variant. I was all set to grab the appropriate air shaft from Bikeman to lower the travel to 140 mm when an engineer friend pointed out that the difference was about four tenths of an inch. The mountain biking world has so many distinct categories that I had forgotten the real world. 140 is considered “trail” while 150 is, well, not sure what it is anymore, with the advent of “Enduro” and all, but it certainly isn’t “trail”.

The point is, I’ve held off ordering the air shaft until I can stick the 150 on my Honzo and get a feel for it. I’m not worried about breaking the frame for it is steel and I have discovered a couple fellows who run 150 and have yet to complain. Any predictions, opinions, experiences? Just curious really, I'll wait to ride the whole package before I make a decision. (I ordered the 51 mm offset and I have the 2013 Honzo, fyi)
    -TurboPenguin

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My 160/130mm stays at 160 and rides great, you'll be fine

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned yet is that the aluminum frame has a boost rear end (and I am guessing a boost 110mm fork?)

That's something to consider - would it be a deal maker/breaker for me? No. But it's a factor to consider... The harshness of an aluminum frame compared to a steel frame could be negated by running some 3" wide tires with low pressure.
    I have the '16 AL DL. No Boost fork, and yes boost rear, but just enough space for 2.3 HRII tyre. In my opinion the boost rear is there for lateral stiffness and nothing else. I don't find the AL rear stiff, I find it responsive, just don't sit on the saddle.

mtbr member
    Prestige, do you have a shot of the rear clearance on the AL frame? If it only fits a 2.3 HRII that is pretty tight compared to ST frame. Currently I am running a 2.3 DHRII and there is at least a 1/2" on each side until the yoke.

mtbr member
    Spent most of last weekend rawing out a Flow EX for the rear, going for a big bmx kind've look. I think it's turned out pretty good. Also got myself some new Raceface Atlas 35 bars and a turbine 50mm stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0815_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks excellent. Plans for the front? What's the process like?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Has anyone actually done 27.5+ on the st? I want to go all in on the conversion but need to know it works first. I love my fat bike and my honzo, combining the two would be amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That looks excellent. Plans for the front? What's the process like?
    I think I'll just leave the front as is, it took me bloody ages to polish out the rear! I just went over it with really fine wet and dry paper and then once I'd removed the anodising I used Autosol to buff it to a shiny finish. An easy process if you have the time for it. I really like the raw aluminium look of wheels, find it surprising that a raw finish is not a stock option with many rim manufacturers. I've included some close ups of the rim just after I'd finished it. I'd thoroughly recommend anyone trying it, nice to get the raw custom look on certain parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0809_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0810_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazreign View Post

Thoughts?
    Large with short stem. I am only 5'10" with riding shoes on and ride a large 15' Honzo with stubby 35mm stem, 150 dropper with at least 1-2" to give and fit is perfect and i do tons of climbing on it. 3-5k ft rides being the norm/ride. Since bike has long reach and steep STA, the front end stays planted with the grinds despite the stubby stem. And with the pretty short stem, it speeds up the steering, counter to big front wheel and wide bar to make the bike more responsive and playful while jumping and negotiating tight and off camber terrain.

If you are heavier rider, hit the descents pretty hard, like to jump a lot, i would go steel over Alu. I am +200lbs, like to hit everything a trail and jump line has to offer, broke every Alu frame i have owned. So, no brainer to go steel for me, especially in a HT. With that said, Kona makes pretty stoutly built Alu bikes as well, at least their FS frames

rho
    Life is strange
    Hey all,
    I'm going to be building up a honzo here in a bit and I'm in between getting the AL frame or the steel. Anyone have any input on the weight difference between the two? My general preference is to have a bike with a stiffer frame than not, if that plays into how the steel flavor of this bike rides. I'm looking at getting a large if that influences numbers any.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have just built a steel Honzo which I am loving. The big consideration for me was putting my existing 142 rear axle wheel on to the Honzo frame. The steel is 142 and the aluminium uses the new 148mm. This meant I would have to get a new hub fitted (which I didn't want to do).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Edit

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    I have just built a steel Honzo which I am loving. The big consideration for me was putting my existing 142 rear axle wheel on to the Honzo frame. The steel is 142 and the aluminium uses the new 148mm. This meant I would have to get a new hub fitted (which I didn't want to do).
    I hear ya on that point, I was mulling that choice over in my head for a few days... however I'm moving from a slack HT 26"er with 135 rear spacing and a non tapered headtoob, so I'll be upgrading all the things! I'm 99% sure of going with the AL frame due to the (hopefully) added stiffness and lighter weight. I have a steel 29er ht already and its kinda like a piece of limp pasta. It rides great, but handling in chunky stuff is wanting.

mtbr member
    The steel Honzo doesn't have a noodle feeling to it like an xc steel hardtail. The 2015+ has more of a damped composed feeling to it that tracks well in the rough.

the air is thin up here..
    Steel all the way, especially if you're going with a frame-up build. Part of why the Honzo is great is because it's steel IMO. I'm no expert, but I haven't noticed rear end stiffness issues and I was ~240+lbs geared up this fall.

If you were buying a built one, the AL is worth considering just because it's so much cheaper than building.

edit: As beer_coffee_water said, it's a beefy frame. My buddy with a steel Salsa frame can make his rear tire rub his seatstays around hard corners - I have no such thing.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

J:
    no E: = : )
    RE: MY '15-16 Large steel Honzo seat tube, what's the minimum insertion depth recommended by Kona for this frame? And maximium?
    Last edited by J:; 12-08-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Model year 15-16

I don't believe the minimum is any different from what your post has marked on it. As for max, my '12 XL (and thus L) has about 12in of seat tube before the bend starts.

edit: I don't think it's changed over the years

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Are you really tall, or really short?
    Last edited by noot; 12-08-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Prestige, do you have a shot of the rear clearance on the AL frame? If it only fits a 2.3 HRII that is pretty tight compared to ST frame. Currently I am running a 2.3 DHRII and there is at least a 1/2" on each side until the yoke.
    There just plain isn't the clearance on the AL. I'll snap a couple pics but there isn't any chance in hell a 29+ would fit in the rear. The boost rear end was to stiffen the rear wheel and make way for the 416mm chainstays.

Dirty ass honzo pics

J:
    no E: = : )
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    I don't believe the minimum is any different from what your post has marked on it. As for max, my '12 XL (and thus L) has about 12in of seat tube before the bend starts.

edit: I don't think it's changed over the years

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Are you really tall, or really short?
    The large size seat tube on the latest version Honzo is unique with its relatively low top tube and tall vertical gusset. I like the overlap near the head tube...anyone know seat tube length from the top to the top tube?

I've put the seat post to the top tube on my builds, it seems pretty much standard on frames to prevent cracks near that top tube weld.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzoTom View Post
    Spent most of last weekend rawing out a Flow EX for the rear, going for a big bmx kind've look. I think it's turned out pretty good. Also got myself some new Raceface Atlas 35 bars and a turbine 50mm stem.
    Maybe you dont want to hear it, but they sold silver ones for a bit, but they dont look as nice as that. I built a set for mine.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-q5_sjihnocm3tbyiesdjzm3hxfigt1ekp5s-2pubru8-2048x1536.jpg

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    There just plain isn't the clearance on the AL. I'll snap a couple pics but there isn't any chance in hell a 29+ would fit in the rear. The boost rear end was to stiffen the rear wheel and make way for the 416mm chainstays.

Dirty ass honzo pics
    Thanks for posting those up, answered another question I didn't know I had! heh. Clearance lots OK for a 2.3 depending on rim and casing... I am however wondering if a 650b+ can go in there! (not really a must have, but just more of a "would that worrrrk" sort of deal)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Thanks for posting those up, answered another question I didn't know I had! heh. Clearance lots OK for a 2.3 depending on rim and casing... I am however wondering if a 650b+ can go in there! (not really a must have, but just more of a "would that worrrrk" sort of deal)
    Clearance is better than on the Hei Hei DL for example but amazing. That is a 2.4 Ardent on the i29 wtb stock wheel for those unfamiliar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can someone with a 15,16 - st or Ti... just try jamming a 29+ in the rear? This has been the $1M question of mine for months...I ride '13 Honzo...and there's no way a Plus29 is fittin out back, BUT the new 2nd gen frame has to be close! Someone confirm PLEASE! pics would be awesome too.
    RideOn

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by use2vw View Post
    Can someone with a 15,16 - st or Ti... just try jamming a 29+ in the rear? This has been the $1M question of mine for months...I ride '13 Honzo...and there's no way a Plus29 is fittin out back, BUT the new 2nd gen frame has to be close! Someone confirm PLEASE! pics would be awesome too.
    RideOn
    I'd love to hear that a dirt wizard would fit.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The issue to me is not whether they fit, it is whether they rub under severe deflection when your giving the bike and wheels a bit of a hammering. Looking at my Honzo, I reckon they will fit, but would likely rub the chainstay when put under pressure.

rho
    Life is strange
    Welp, put a deposit down on a Honzo AL/DL frame. No idea when I'll get it, but should be a fun build. Note, I went with the AL/DL flavor for weight savings and stiffness, so we'll see if this works out. It'll replace my clapped out SC Chameleon that is almost 8 years old and has seen an amazing amount of riding here in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz.

Gotta start working on a build now! And drivetrain choices! And fork choices! I love building up a new bike.

mtbr member
    Welp, put a deposit down on a Honzo AL/DL frame. No idea when I'll get it, but should be a fun build. Note, I went with the AL/DL flavor for weight savings and stiffness, so we'll see if this works out. It'll replace my clapped out SC Chameleon that is almost 8 years old and has seen an amazing amount of riding here in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz.

Gotta start working on a build now! And drivetrain choices! And fork choices! I love building up a new bike.
    kool, Did they give you Color Options?
    Bike~less

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    kool, Did they give you Color Options?
    Nah, just purple.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of building my first bike; 16' honzo st.

I am 5'10 with a 32 inch inseem. I have a large process 134 (with 35mm length stem) which feels good.

I want my new honzo to be flickable so do you think a med with a 50mm stem would work for me for should I get a large and 35mm like my process? Thank you all for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of building my first bike; 16' honzo st.

I am 5'10 with a 32 inch inseem. I have a large process 134 (with 35mm length stem) which feels good.

I want my new honzo to be flickable so do you think a med with a 50mm stem would work for me for should I get a large and 35mm like my process? Thank you all for the input.
    My opinion , so take it for what it is.

29ers are naturally going to be more cumbersome than their smaller wheeled brethren. That being said, if one is to prioritize nimbleness in their bike (I do, on ALL of my bikes) then going with the smaller sized frame is the right call. 29 wheels already provide plenty of stability, no need for even more by upsizing.

I'm your same height and inseam...I went Medium...couldn't imagine going with large. Isn't 5'10" squarely within the recommendation of a medium frame?.

mtbr member
    Hi, and thanks for your input.
    Yes, a med is in their sizing chart. But as I remember when I test fitted the med process, right away I thought it was cramped. Unfortunately, I never moved the seat back, thought about a tad longer longer stem because the whole point of that bike was a short stem. And so isn't this but I think a 50mm is the longest I would go with the honzo st.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes, a med is in their sizing chart. But as I remember when I test fitted the med process, right away I thought it was cramped. Unfortunately, I never moved the seat back, thought about a tad longer longer stem because the whole point of that bike was a short stem. And so isn't this but I think a 50mm is the longest I would go with the honzo st.
    I'm the same size as you and would say without doubt that you do not want a small Honzo. Having tried a small, which felt like a big bmx and good on a very short run, it was crippling on anything requiring distance, climbs etc... a similar sized rider i know had a small and moved up to a medium, which he's much happier with.

The ETT on your Process is 24.8". You could get away with a medium honzo with a stem no shorter than 40mm on bars around 750mm IMO but it may still feel a bit cramped. Regarding seat position, you'll want to set that for optimum climbing power, rather than trying to eek out some additional reach.

I'm currently trying to weight up between medium and large. Having tracked down a large to try at the weekend, i'm interested in what the 1 inch increase in wheel base / TT does to the handling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konaben View Post
    I'm the same size as you and would say without doubt that you do not want a small Honzo.
    Don't think NHMB was considering a SM to begin with.

Should have asked this of you before, but what is your torso size like (dress shirt sizing spec, more specifically your sleave length - do you buy the typical length dress shirt sleeve length for guys our size, 34-35?).

Again, the Honzo is a descending oriented hardtail - upsizing and making it a something it isnt meant to be (a great climbing bike, not that it is a bad climbing bike at all - Kona's are never really XC oriented, more the other side of the spectru, as you already know) kind of negates its original intention. Unless you have crazy long arms with a crazy long torso, a Medium with a 50mm stem should be fine. Heck, go with a 60mm stem if you have to.

IF you decrease stem length and still feel cramped, up the width on your bars, I run a full 800mm length. I have to say - when bikes are specced out with their original purpose in mind, they can really open up and rip trails the way they were meant to.

mtbr member
    May 2015

I recently swapped out my 2013 Honzo Medium frame for a 2015 Large frame. I am 5' 10" (30-31" inseam...i think). The medium had a 50mm stem, the large now has a 40mm stem, both with 140mm pike. I just finished building it up and finally got it out for a ride this past weekend. To preface my opinion on the newer rig, I will say that the Medium was great, I really could have rode it and been happy. However there were times I found myself pushed to the back of the seat and wishing I had just bit more length.
    At first I didn't really notice much of a difference (it is still the same bike... basically). As the ride went on, I began to pick up on the differences. The 2015 Large felt just as nimble and fun. Because it still has super short chain stays, the rear end was tight and easy to move around. The overall increase of length in the middle made me feel more centered and planted on the bike when descending and even climbing. The longer wheelbase didn't seem noticeable, even in tight twisty turns. I will genuinely say that I prefer the larger frame even though it seems most people at my size seem to prefer the medium. That is my experience thus far with the Kona Honzo.

rho
    Life is strange
    Got my frame yesterday! I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with how light the AL flavor of the frame is. Its lighter than my Chameleon. Not sure when I'll have time to put a build together as I screwed my shoulder up the other day in a very dumb crash, but this bike is going to be a ripper.

Anyone have thoughts on cockpit setup? I'm thinking a 40mm stem and my existing 780mm bars should do the trick nicely...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can you weigh the AL frame?

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Can you weigh the AL frame?
    I have a large, it is around 4.3 lbs without the axle or the sleeve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by altron3030 View Post

I recently swapped out my 2013 Honzo Medium frame for a 2015 Large frame. I am 5' 10" (30-31" inseam...i think). The medium had a 50mm stem, the large now has a 40mm stem, both with 140mm pike. I just finished building it up and finally got it out for a ride this past weekend. To preface my opinion on the newer rig, I will say that the Medium was great, I really could have rode it and been happy. However there were times I found myself pushed to the back of the seat and wishing I had just bit more length.
    At first I didn't really notice much of a difference (it is still the same bike... basically). As the ride went on, I began to pick up on the differences. The 2015 Large felt just as nimble and fun. Because it still has super short chain stays, the rear end was tight and easy to move around. The overall increase of length in the middle made me feel more centered and planted on the bike when descending and even climbing. The longer wheelbase didn't seem noticeable, even in tight twisty turns. I will genuinely say that I prefer the larger frame even though it seems most people at my size seem to prefer the medium. That is my experience thus far with the Kona Honzo.
    Same experience here. Like the large better for the longer WB and running a 35mm stem vs. 50mm/65mm stem (tried both). Also, I came from a large Kona Process with 40mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    y'all are crazy - how much stability does one need (via longer a wheelbase)?

..29 wagon wheels are plenty stable as is.

You guys must be taking the honzo down some pretty gnarly stuff to need MORE stability.

sidenote: I sold my full suspension bike and now ride my honzo exclusively, (2) wheelsets: 29 set, and a WTB Scraper 27.5+ set. No regrets - the Honzo rocks!

Takes a beating and ain't too bad on the ups.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I must say, I do like the stability of my bike. The large honzo does not feel too long or overly stable especially in the wheelbase dimension. It still feels very nimble and playful. The super short chain stays really do keep this "big" bike from feeling big, even sized up a bit to the large. I don't think I would change anything for my riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I must say, I do like the stability of my bike. The large honzo does not feel too long or overly stable especially in the wheelbase dimension. It still feels very nimble and playful. The super short chain stays really do keep this "big" bike from feeling big, even sized up a bit to the large. I don't think I would change anything for my riding.
    Awesome. Love the feeling of riding a bike that's just right

mtbr member
    May 2015
    It certainly is awesome. While I wouldn't change the fit at all, I wouldn't mind trimming some weight off this beast. However, I am content enough and now broke enough that the weight will remain where it is for a while. It just doesn't seem like one can shave off that much weight from this bike without compromising the purpose and burly characteristics that make this bike rad. If I had the endless dollars necessary to buy carbon this and thats for the Honzo, I'd probably spend it on a different bike and have two good bikes.

rho
    Life is strange
    It certainly is awesome. While I wouldn't change the fit at all, I wouldn't mind trimming some weight off this beast. However, I am content enough and now broke enough that the weight will remain where it is for a while. It just doesn't seem like one can shave off that much weight from this bike without compromising the purpose and burly characteristics that make this bike rad. If I had the endless dollars necessary to buy carbon this and thats for the Honzo, I'd probably spend it on a different bike and have two good bikes.
    That right there is why I went with the AL/DL frame! :P

What does yours weigh in at? Do you have the steel frame or the aluminium?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That right there is why I went with the AL/DL frame! :P

What does yours weigh in at? Do you have the steel frame or the aluminium?
    I don't know the weight. I assume somewhere in the 30-32lb range. There is nothing overtly heavy nor notably light on the bike. The steel frame was something that was a must for me. I prefer steel on just about any bike. I have very little experience with full suspension, but that would be a category where aluminum would be the preference. The extra weight of steel is easily ignored when on the trail. I do see the merit of the new aluminum Honzo, its just not what I am looking for in a AM hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    y'all are crazy - how much stability does one need (via longer a wheelbase)?

..29 wagon wheels are plenty stable as is.

You guys must be taking the honzo down some pretty gnarly stuff to need MORE stability.

sidenote: I sold my full suspension bike and now ride my honzo exclusively, (2) wheelsets: 29 set, and a WTB Scraper 27.5+ set. No regrets - the Honzo rocks!

Takes a beating and ain't too bad on the ups.
    What tires you running on the b+ wheels? Any pics of clearance would be great.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Finished my AL/DL size XL.

May contain nuts
    That thing looks mean as. 24-25lb?

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    That thing looks mean as. 24-25lb?
    Dunno, haven't weighed it. Still needs a dropper so will gain some weight there but worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Finished my AL/DL size XL.

Aesthetically, I think that looks awesome in comparison to the steel or ti Honzo. Hmm, I want one.
    konahonzo

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I had a 2012 XL long before this frame. I haven't ridden this one yet (too much rain) but it sure looks cool. Dropper still to go; haven't really been able to find much in the native 34.9mm diameter.

mtbr member
    Anybody got a frame weight for a 2016 medium in steel? Thinking about a honzo or nimble9.

mtbr member
    Just over 7lbs including headset.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    I had a 2012 XL long before this frame. I haven't ridden this one yet (too much rain) but it sure looks cool. Dropper still to go; haven't really been able to find much in the native 34.9mm diameter.
    Did you buy frame only, or whole bike? What's the frame RRP? Hard to find frame in NZ, distributor doesn't import them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Anybody got a frame weight for a 2016 medium in steel? Thinking about a honzo or nimble9.
    My weighed in at 6 lbs 14 Oz with the maxle and seat post clamp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    Just over 7lbs including headset.
    Mine was 7lb with the headset, mazle and Seat Post clamp

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Did you buy frame only, or whole bike? What's the frame RRP? Hard to find frame in NZ, distributor doesn't import them...
    I bought just the frame here in the US. Easier to get exactly what I wanted that way.

About $500USD frame and maxle.

Best of luck in NZ!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Can someone post the size (lenght) of the new maxle rear axle on the new aluminum Honzo please. I broke the lever off mine and once I open it I can't tighten it anymore, so I'd like to have new one before I take the broken one off. I think is possible to read the size once you just take it off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    Can someone post the size (lenght) of the new maxle rear axle on the new aluminum Honzo please. I broke the lever off mine and once I open it I can't tighten it anymore, so I'd like to have new one before I take the broken one off. I think is possible to read the size once you just take it off the bike.
    I'd send Kona an email: tech@konaworld.com
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks, did that. Also quick googling told that there is two options. According to Sram spare parts catalogue Maxle Ultimate for boost rear comes in two lengths 180mm and 188mm. But also that Lever assembly is spare part as itself and can be changed.

Can someone post something please? Ride pics, Honzo praise, anything!

I'm sitting on my couch during great winter riding weather, waiting for my frame to come in.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member

Very wet on The UK

Thanks, and nice bike! How do you like the steel? I like the orange stem, just enough to compliment the stickers.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Deleted. Figured it out on my own.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Can someone post something please? Ride pics, Honzo praise, anything!

I'm sitting on my couch during great winter riding weather, waiting for my frame to come in.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lrGVGm9So Honzo Riding video

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Cool video. Such different riding than where I am, looks fun! Where is that?

Thanks!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool video. Such different riding than where I am, looks fun! Where is that?

Thanks!
    Its in the South foothills of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, NM... the foothill trails here are good for winter riding the higher mountain trails not so much. Here is another good winter time local trail White Mesa www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgf8NSCmAUo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Unfortunately, gotta sell my stock '15 medium complete to fund my recent fat bike purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Unfortunately, gotta sell my stock '15 medium complete to fund my recent fat bike purchase.
    How much?

That sounds like a BAD idea to me....
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That sounds like a BAD idea to me....
    Yeah, you're probably right, and it's definitely a downgrade on paper - but I am having as much fun on the ICT Ops as the Honzo, and I am going to get a lot more mileage out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    How much?
    PM'ed.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you're probably right, and it's definitely a downgrade on paper - but I am having as much fun on the ICT Ops as the Honzo, and I am going to get a lot more mileage out of it.

PM'ed.
    Actually getting more use of my Honzo with studs than my fat bike with the hard icy snow here in the Northeast.

mtbr member
    Sorry if this have been ask, but can the 2016 Honzo ST handle 35mm wide RIM? I'm looking at the WTB ASYM i35 w/ a 2.35 wide tire. I was told wider is better / stronger for BIG people like myself.
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    Sorry if this have been ask, but can the 2016 Honzo ST handle 35mm wide RIM? I'm looking at the WTB ASYM i35 w/ a 2.35 wide tire. I was told wider is better / stronger for BIG people like myself.
    Easily. I'm running a 35mm external width rim and it easily cleared 2.5 Minion DHF when I had them mounted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes no prob. You're gonna like that setup man. I have a 35mm wheelset on my other bike and it's the real deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscn0519-copy.jpg

Can I poll you guys to see what you think my Honzo is realistically worth if I were to sell it?
    It's a brand new frame, never ridden, XTR group basically new, New Diamond, lightly used wheels.
    ** EDIT this is NOT a for sale post, just looking for some feedback**

thanks

mtbr member
    Can You repost your full spec list? Would make it easier to form a view.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0519 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	1041341

Can I poll you guys to see what you think my Honzo is realistically worth if I were to sell it?
    It's a brand new frame, never ridden, XTR group basically new, New Diamond, lightly used wheels.
    ** EDIT this is NOT a for sale post, just looking for some feedback**

thanks
    Don't know enough details to be definitive, but I'd say you're in the $2,900+ bracket. Sweet rig. You'll be sorry if you let it go, haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Can You repost your full spec list? Would make it easier to form a view.
    Sure.
    M 2016 frame w/ 142x12 rear axle and sliding dropouts - Brand new!
    2015 DVO Diamond fork with like 4-5 rides on it.
    1x10 drivetrain full M985 XTR like new.
    -Chain, cassette, derailleur, shifter.
    XO crank
    Thomson Elite post.
    XTR brakes 180/180 like new
    Haven Carbon bar like new.
    New CC 40 headset.
    Thinline WTB saddle
    DT Spline1 XM1501 wheelset real nice shape. Set up tubeless.
    Spank Spike 50mm stem
    Spank Oozy pedals 4-5 rides on em.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I guess 3500 bucks should be alright. Not less than 3000 in any case.
    But you're not serious considering selling it, are you?

[QUOTE=max_lombardy;12409062]Sure.
    M 2016 frame w/ 142x12 rear axle and sliding dropouts

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unfortunately yes, I have one too many bikes at the moment and the other 2 I can't part with. The struggle is real!

This is definitely a bad ass bike, but the money would be better used elsewhere. If I had a garage I could make it work, but it's sitting in my living room at the moment and my wife is getting sick of looking at it. I most certainly am not. I don't even watch TV, I just eat popcorn and look at this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Unfortunately yes, I have one too many bikes at the moment and the other 2 I can't part with. The struggle is real!
    Sell one of the other 2, I had the same dilmemma and sold my other bikes (both full suspension) , and coming from a lifetime full suspension guy - I still have no regrets... The HONZO is my ONE bike (for now).