Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 3664
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Just moved from a single speed to 10 speed with xt derailleur. I'm having a little problem with the rear derailleur not staying secured on the hanger. It keeps slipping past the lip where the derailleur connects to the hanger. Anyone else have this problem with the honzo hanger or any suggestions on how to keep it from slipping?

Norđwegr
    Sadly I can't help you as I haven't even mounted my derailleur yet..

I did however progress my build a bit and cut the steerer and preloaded the bearings. The Hope head doctor worked great for me. I was a bit put off by the poor reviews certain people have been giving it, but I realised it was mostly due to user error. It really is a great bit of kit and if I ever build another non-lefty bike it'll be the first thing I buy!

The Renthal is an eyesore with the logos, luckily it'll work as a bar.

Incase you are wondering, yes I build bikes in my livingroom.

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Just got my Honzo small frame today. Weighs in at a porky 6.5# including the seat post clamp.

So far I've got:
    2013 Revelation at 140 - kind of bummed you can't just add spacers to reduce travel.
    Original 4-pot Shimano M-755 XT brakes & levers.
    CC top headset and Enduro bottom.
    EC70 400mm seatpost.
    WTB Volt saddle.
    EC70 685mm bars.
    Old Stylo Oct crank with a 30t RF ring & BBG bash ring.
    Old X9 9 speed rear shifter.
    X9 RD old style.
    11/36 9sp cassette. I think its a PG1080.

I've got some Charger Pro wheels in route.

Pretty excited to get this build going!

mtbr member
    6,5 lbs for a small frame? Is it me or the weights for the Honzo frames, even for the same sizes, are all over the place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Just got my Honzo small frame today. Weighs in at a porky 6.5# including the seat post clamp.
    Is your frame a 2014? My small 2013 was 6.5 lbs w/o the axle and clamp, 6.75 lbs with.

mtbr member
    2012 model XL frame was 6.12 lbs, if I'm not mistaken (the towel was stuffed in the bb tube), but the 2013/2014 small is 6.5! Even with the addition of the gusset, weight has gone up considerably. Cheaper steel? Different tube profiles? Anyone know the weight of the 2013/2014 L size frame?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Is your frame a 2014? My small 2013 was 6.5 lbs w/o the axle and clamp, 6.75 lbs with.
    Yup, mines a 2014. Weight did not include the Maxle. I was pretty shocked at how much it weighs. The scale I use is accurate, it's calibrated

Norđwegr
    Anyone using a non-qr rear axle on their honzo and if so, which kind?

mtbr member

I tried to find one without luck.

Norđwegr
    I'll give google and ebay a go later. Currently inspecting my wheels from cyclesportsuk which were just delivered.. Both hubs are dinged up.

Grrr.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Both hubs are dinged up. Grrr.
    Are you not supposed to ding the hubs up to the rims?

I learned to build my own wheels. It gives a lot of flexibility in choosing components, a little bit of savings and lots of fun and enjoyment. We now have another set of wheels for most of the bikes in our family, just for the pleasure of building wheels.

Norđwegr
    4 M6 x 20mm Titanium TI Bolt Disc Brake Adapter Mount | eBay

For those who just can't get enough gold..

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Finally almost done. Dropper to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post

Nice build. What's the weight with the enves? Probably one of the lighter honzos on here that still has real rims (not crests) and a 35mm fork.

mtbr member
    Don't forget your chain man. I'm all for droppers and everything, but I think your bike looks great as is.
    That fork and those wheels on a sweet frame like the Honzo is a beast of a bike. It's a full XC bike that can still hold its own on the downs.
    10/10 bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post

Purdy. Curious about weight?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Norđwegr
    Nice build!

Funny how the wheelset would cost more than the bike originally :P
    I contemplated getting carbon wheels for my Honzo, but the chance of the riding becoming too rough was too much of a risk. If I can borrow carbonwheels and disprove my concern I'm definitely getting a set though.

Because Enves on my Scalpel worked wonders!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Apologies for the double-post...

I'm fixin to buy a Honzo -- either 2012 or 2014, and I wanted to solicit some views from you with experience:

I see that some folks like a 140mm fork. Anyone out there feel that this just slows down the handling too much, or retards climbing too much. [Sure, 'too much' is subjective; I really do want your subjective opinion.]

Has anyone out there compared the ride of the 2012 with the 2013-14. Mainly, I'm interested in the Kona's decision to put the toptube/seatpost gusset, and if anyone thinks that this is a necessary thing.

Thanks. Please do offer any other comparisons b/t 2012 vs. 2013-14 you may think of. [I'm not concerned about drivetrain; going SS, 12x142 rear.]
    Last edited by Collins; 01-20-2014 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    With regards to fork length I've ridden the honzo at both 120 and 140mm travel. This did mean the front end was slightly lighter on the climbs however it more than makes up for it when you point downhill. It really feels unstoppable at 140 and it does help reduce the number of pedal strikes also! Go 140 and man up on the climbs!

I have also ridden both the 2012 and 2013 honzo and must say that I prefer the ride of the 2012. I'm not sure whether its just me but the 2013 has a slightly stiffer ride as opposed to the 2012. I don't believe the brace at the toptube/seatpost junction on the 2013/2014 frames is necessary and it doesn't look as clean as the straight tubing on the 2012 frame. But hey what do I know, I'm sure Kona had their reasons!

Bnerd
    I have the 2012 Honzo.

I rode it with the stock fork at 120mm for the first couple of months and had a **** ton of pedal strikes. I consider myself pretty good with my pedal timing in tech situations but I could never not have pedal strikes on the Honzo with the fork at 120mm. I also harshly bottomed the fork regularly when it was set at 120mm. Now that I have it at 140mm I bottom occasionally but not harshly.
    And, when I bumped the travel up to 140mm happiness returned with no more pedal strikes. Even with a generous sag setting.

As to climbing with a 140mm fork on the Honzo there is absolutely no problem. If you've read through this thread you'll have come across my beer fueled rant a couple of months ago about wandering front ends and the lack of it on this bike.

If the front end on your bike starts to become light while climbing shift forward on your saddle. That's the reason saddles are rounded on the nose so you can perch right at the end of it for crazy steep climbing and keep the front wheel down. (You would think that this info was common sense but with the number of times that this topic comes up I guess it's not.)

I, personally, didn't notice any difference in handling between the two travel settings. I guess if you were crawling at an unreasonably slow speed that the difference would be noticeable. But if you're riding that slow all the time then you're looking at the wrong bike.

On a side note the winter has been dismal here in Whistler. I've been seriously contemplating busting the Honzo out from storage and going for a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-2.jpg
    build finally done, stock except for a Zee rear derailleur, shifter and a
    Pike rct3 with hope evo 2 hubs.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post

So far I've got:
    2013 Revelation at 140 - kind of bummed you can't just add spacers to reduce travel.
    Original 4-pot Shimano M-755 XT brakes & levers.
    CC top headset and Enduro bottom.
    EC70 400mm seatpost.
    WTB Volt saddle.
    EC70 685mm bars.
    Old Stylo Oct crank with a 30t RF ring & BBG bash ring.
    Old X9 9 speed rear shifter.
    X9 RD old style.
    11/36 9sp cassette. I think its a PG1080.

I've got some Charger Pro wheels in route.

Pretty excited to get this build going!
    Some minor tuning and it's done. Sitting at 27.3# with Ardent 2.4s front and rear.
    Rear cassette is 13-38 using an EBay 38t cog.

mtbr member
    Nice weight.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

That's a good looking bike. Sometimes wish I bought a Honzo vs. my current steed especially after looking at all of these pics.

Scant abuse

2014 Honzo build!
    Made from spares I had lying around!
    2010 120mm fox fork
    Stan's Flows on Hopes
    2.4 Ardents f&r
    Spank spoon 762mm x 5mm rise
    50mm Deity stem
    30t raceface chainring and mrp1 with 9speed SRAM (x0 twister)
    Juicy 7s with Magura storm sl rotors
    Point One podium pedals on XT cranks
    Maverick seatpost (no remote)
    29lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    RideEverything et al:

Thanks for ya'll's angle on my quandaries. Exactly what I was questioning.

Funny -- I'm getting this bike for my younger brother, who I'm moving from BMX to DH and trail riding (he's a beast, I'm glad to say), but after all this good talking up of the Honzo, I'm thinking I'll have to get one for myself, though I pretty much stick with racing builds currently. Before I pass it along to him, I'm sure to set it up SS and take it out on some snow-trail. Really looking forward to it now. Thanks again.

Also, regarding crap conditions... I'm in Pittsburgh for my second winter... Though I cut my teeth in the NC mountains riding, I never rode in snowy, icy, muddy crap as much as here -- there's just no other option, if you want to ride. And then you do, and it's still bananas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Spares he had lying around?
    I'll bet that Kona don't even have spares like that lying around

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Finally got out on my Honzo today for the first time.

I feel I have pertinent information to add as I've been on a Diamondback Mason for the 500 odd miles prior to the Honzo. I switched all components from the Mason to the Honzo (literally all components other than the headset, seat post, and saddle).

While the Mason is lighter (large Mason versus 20" Honzo) the Honzo wins for me unanimously. The Mason has a higher bottom bracket, slightly longer chain stays, and is not as comfortable as the Honzo. The Honzo just rails corners where the Mason would kind of push through sloppily. The longer front center on the Honzo is much more confidence inspiring than the Mason, and the chain stay length (I'm running the Honzo stays at their shortest possible) does make a tangible difference when manualling the front end and picking up the rear.

All in all I'm quite glad I made the switch. Now I'm really stoked because I have a Process 111DL waiting in a box in the garage...

Norđwegr
    Crank is underway, so in a few days my Honzo should be ready to go!

EDIT:
    Or not, I still need brake mounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    All versions of the revelation 29 fork can have a 140 air spring. The solo air fork will require a different air spring shaft in the appropriate length, and they are cheap if you buy just the shaft and swap the rest of the air spring parts over.

Some forks do not have long enough damper shafts though. In the picture posted of the dual air spring shaft with a spacer/base combo, this is probably because the damper shaft would be too short to handle a 140mm air spring.

With the fork lowers removed and the air spring pressurized, the damper shaft needs to be at least as long and usually slightly longer than the air shaft to avoid a violent top out.

I have a blue honzo, and was wondering if anyone knows if the SS specific Raijin dropout will fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Figured one of ya'll would be interested in this:
    Nebraska Vanity License Plate "Honzo" HON ZO Gonzo Chinese China | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Figured one of ya'll would be interested in this:
    Nebraska Vanity License Plate "Honzo" HON ZO Gonzo Chinese China | eBay
    What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    All versions of the revelation 29 fork can have a 140 air spring. The solo air fork will require a different air spring shaft in the appropriate length, and they are cheap if you buy just the shaft and swap the rest of the air spring parts over.

Some forks do not have long enough damper shafts though. In the picture posted of the dual air spring shaft with a spacer/base combo, this is probably because the damper shaft would be too short to handle a 140mm air spring.

With the fork lowers removed and the air spring pressurized, the damper shaft needs to be at least as long and usually slightly longer than the air shaft to avoid a violent top out.

I have a blue honzo, and was wondering if anyone knows if the SS specific Raijin dropout will fit.
    All of the kona sliding dropouts are compatable between frames. I just converted my Unit to 142x12 using a raijun/honzo dropout.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    What's the weight?
    Hilarious. Somehow, this seems like the ultimate bike-nerd joke, especially considering the bike we're talking about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yep.

My Honzo is already a heavyweight and I just built two new wheels for it: Shimano Saint rear with Sun Ringle MTX 33 rim, Shimano Saint front with WTB Frequency i-25 rim. And I am going to put downhill tires on them. I am sure this is not the lightest combo.

My Cannondale F29 is the lightweight bike, Honzo is the tank. Honzo gets the bulletproof components, relatively speaking.

Norđwegr
    Is the brake mount at the rear a standard size? I've never dealt with a mount like this so I'm not sure which adapter to get for my magura brakes.

mtbr member
    It is an IS mount- so you'll need an IS adapter to fit your rotor size, most likely. Your Maguras are likely on a post mount (since you're not familiar with IS).
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-2-4.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-3-4.jpg
    2014 Honzo
    Stans Flow EX Hans Damph front soon to have a knobby nic rear, (tubeless)
    X0 Spiderless crank with absolute black 28t.
    10 speed xt cassette
    gravity dropper turbo
    easton stem
    lizard skin grips
    saint shifter
    dlx plus rear derailleur

29lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    here are a few more of my honzo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1380598_543114199111988_204394713_n.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-4-4.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-3-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just bagged a set of Manitou Tower Pros for the Honzo. Cannot wait to get this beast rolling now!!

mtbr member

Maiden voyage today on homemade studded Walmart tires. Looking forward to springtime so I can really test this out.

mtbr member

Looking forward to getting her on the dirt...

Just finished the build. Picked up the frame on schme-bay (already painted). Waiting on some decals, but the build is done. Won't get her out for a bit- it's fatbike season here in Colorado...

27lbs 11oz- less than a 1/2 lb lighter than my full sus.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4374.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4373.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, give us side picture!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Just finished the build. Picked up the frame on schme-bay (already painted). Waiting on some decals, but the build is done. Won't get her out for a bit- it's fatbike season here in Colorado...
    That's FM's old frame.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Yeah- out of 54 pages on this thread, I figured it had been up here before somewheres... super nice guy to deal with, fwiw.

Norđwegr
    If everything goes as planned I'll be putting the finishing touches on mine tomorrow, looks awesome with all black parts.

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks Alex. Lookin' good, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    I'm right there with you. I luckily got out of Colorado to California this winter so I have been able to ride it about a dozen times now, and I love it more every time. It is such a steel beast! Thought it would be rough to ride these rocky clay trails on a hardtail, but I was wrong. Everybody I see rides these $5k FS carbon and alum bikes and look at me like im crazy.

This thing shreds. I seriously am loving it. Only thing I wish I had done when I built was maybe go with a 30T chainring. I currently have the 32T narrow/wide which is awesome, but could use a bit better climbing in some situations. Oh well, just gonna make me stronger.
    Did you drop your guide from the stock build? I was thinking about dropping the guide and going to the 30t narrow/wide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2013 Stock Build:

As it sits now:
    -Reverb, Renthal Fat Bar, I-9 Enduro Wheels (gold on gold)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    bdjohnson121
    I can look at pics like that any day on Konaworld.com, give us a pic taken from the front at an angle.