Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 76 ... LastLast
    meatier showers

Air Honzo!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-daveysprockett_basictraining_021713.jpg
    Blackrock, OR 021713. Barends & all.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    The 142x12 Maxle is for the rear dropouts on the frame.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Definitely start out with a 50mm. If you find it short (although I doubt it) move to a 60mm. And definitely wide bars (780+mm) help.
    Got any tips for which handlebars? The widest I can find is the Truvativ Boobar (780mm). For the stem I was thinking about the Thomson Elite X4 Stubby, 50mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Got any tips for which handlebars? The widest I can find is the Truvativ Boobar (780mm). For the stem I was thinking about the Thomson Elite X4 Stubby, 50mm.
    Good choice on stem, I'm running the same one.

As for bars, most these days stop at 780 or 785mm. I'm running 780mm wide Chromag OSX with a 25mm rise, and these feel perfect to me. It would be nice if they came in 800mm but might be problematic at some spots where I ride.

For a 2013 color frame, I think the Renthal Fatbars 780mm look good paired with it. If you're looking for 800mm bars, then the new 35mm Easton Havoc are that wide, but require the new 35mm standard stem as well. The only other bar that I'm thinking of that is 800mm wide is the FUNN Fatboy DH wide bars, they come in at 810mm (cheap too compared to everything else mentioned).

meatier showers

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Personally I'm using some 780mm Kona-branded risers... like 'em just fine. The slack head angle + wide bars + short stem configuration works together very well on this bike. Absolutely confidence inspiring at speed and going off stuff.

If you have the option to run your fork at 140mm, I recommend it.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Check out Raceface Atlas bars. They are a cool 1/2" rise to keep the front end low, and come in a ton of colors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    RF Atlas bars also come in a flat bar and 1 1/4" rise. Not really sure what rise you want but Atlas bars cover a lot of bases. Once I get my frame,most likely a Honzo, I am going to switch back to them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Personally I'm using some 780mm Kona-branded risers... like 'em just fine.

=S
    The stock ones that came with the bike? That's impressive then they spec'd with such wide bars.

meatier showers

The stock ones that came with the bike? That's impressive then they spec'd with such wide bars.
    These are aftermarket... I'm such a dumbass, I cut the bars that came with the bike! Was too used to my XC bike so out came the hacksaw without thinking. Soon as I rode it, I knew I'd F'd up. So my GF bought me these cuz I whined so much (LBS had 'em in stock) so I gave her my chopped down ones (she loves 'em) and put the fresh ones on. The new ones have a bit more rise than the stockers... they're sweet for my 6'3" bod. Same Kona logo as stockers.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    From all the handlebars you mentioned, I only found a few in online Europe stores, and the Race Face Atlas FR is discontinued in black (only in orange is still available). The only option remaining is the Renthal FatBar Riser Bar (Renthal FatBar Riser Bar | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com). Good choice? I don't know about the rise, since I've only ridden flat bars in the past, but I'm willing to try it out.
    Edit: I already ordered the orange ESI Chunky grips!

As for the fork, I already read somewhere in this thread that 140mm would be a good choice, so I was contemplating the Fox 34 TALAS 29 140 FIT CTD, would that be ok?
    Last edited by dfuse; 02-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.

meatier showers

Thanks guys!
    As for the fork, I already read somewhere in this thread that 140mm would be a good choice, so I was contemplating the Fox 34 TALAS 29 140 FIT CTD, would that be ok?
    Um... yes.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just ordered a '12 RS Revelation RCT3 140mm from CRC for a little more than $400 US. From what I have read here its just as good of a fork as the 34 if you are small/medium sized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I just ordered a '12 RS Revelation RCT3 140mm from CRC for a little more than $400 US. From what I have read here its just as good of a fork as the 34 if you are small/medium sized.
    Wouldn't mind a cheapier solution. I'm 1.96m though (6'5"), so I wouldn't say I'm small/medium sized. Or do you mean weight-wise?

Also, the RS Relevation is white...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It seems to be more of a weight thing. I hope it works out for me at 180 lbs. The 2012 I ordered is black. I can't post up a link because I just got to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    It seems to be more of a weight thing. I hope it works out for me at 180 lbs. The 2012 I ordered is black. I can't post up a link because I just got to work.
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    This is one? 56% off, not bad!
    I'm usually between 200-220 lbs.

Reviews seem to be good too, is it the correct size etc for the Honzo? If so I just might order it.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    Did you try a large, or only the medium?
    I have tired a large after the fact and it seemed to fit OK but the front end, as I figured, seemed somewhat vague. Regarding the setback post, I did worry about the CG but I hated how the bike felt like a unicycle with handlebars. Maybe @ 6'2" with a 35" inseam and long arms I have an unusual build, but I am quite happy with the 18". At least we can all agree that the Honzo is a great frame that can satisfy any style of riding/terrain.
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 02-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Reviews seem to be good too, is it the correct size etc for the Honzo? If so I just might order it.
    Get another $15 off using 15USD coupon code. I might pull the trigger on that as well as I'm a lightweight, but the X-Fusion offerings (Slide and upcoming 34mm Trace) seem intriguing. Apparently, my wallet doesn't seem to agree on how great a Talas would be. Anyone else consider an X-Fusion, or is the Revelation RCT3 the way to go at that price point.

mtbr member

Ok, you guys on here have got me really conflicted. My Honzo frame has arrived and is sitting in my living room. I'm just not sure if I should send it back for a large, or build up the medium. I sort of feel like my riding style gravitates towards smaller frames. Singlespeed, always out of the sadle and throwing the bike around. I'm just not sure what I should do...

If there are more 6' tall riders riding a medium (without a long stem and setback post) I'd sure like to hear about how it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Get another $15 off using 15USD coupon code. I might pull the trigger on that as well as I'm a lightweight,...
    What's up with the weight concern? Do reviews say it is not a good fork for heavier people? I'd rather spend more for a fork that is good for my bodytype, then spend half for a fork that isn't.

meatier showers

I have two RS Revs, one on Honzo & one on Turner Sultan. Both set @140mm. Both '12 models. I'm 6'3", 200# (more with gear). I have no complaints.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member

Don't bother with the Talas 34 IMO. That's what I had on my Honzo when I first built it because I had to have black lowers lol. Did I ever use the Talas feature? Once. And that was that. The search for a black Float 34 started and I finally found one mid season. The Float is a lighter fork, felt smoother, and definitely a lot less to go wrong since the Talas likes to stopped working and you're usually stock at the lowest setting. At 110mm on the Honzo, there was way too many rock strikes and never really liked how it rode. 140mm is perfect for this bike. And the Talas was my first travel adjust fork as well. Never buying another one.

If you're getting orange Esi grips then I imagine you're on the 2013 frameset and in all honesty, I'd prefer a white Float with that paint scheme, which makes finding a Float 34 that much easier.

As for the Revelation 140 29er fork, I had one on my bike too (right after I noticed my Fox 34 Float with the dreaded CSU creaking), biggest difference to me was the lowered A-2-C measurement of it (548mm) compared to the Fox 34 (552). It definitely felt different from my setup with the Fox 34 with the stem slapped with only one 2.5mm spacer. With the Revelation I had to throw 10mm worth of spacers to get the position back ideally. The second difference was stiffness. With the Revelation, it was much easier to feel it twisting if you simply held the front wheel with your legs and decided to turn the handlebars. IMO the 32mm stanchions of the Revelation are a lot more noticeable in less stiffness than people's debate over the 20mm Maxle vs the Fox 15QR. Wasn't that impressed with it and maybe if I wasn't such a clyde last season (pushing 265 lbs, down to 195 lbs as of today), I would've formed a different opinion of the Revelation fork, I really wanted to like it, as I paid silly money for both Revelations take-offs I had (don't ask why lol) compared to the $$$ black Fox Float 34.

And you have to ask yourself if you want to mess with the 2012 Dual Air damper, that was another turn off for me. I'm a set it and forget it type of rider, never really enjoy tuning my previous Rockshox Pike 454 Air that was Dual Air as well.

For a rider hovering around 200 lbs, I say the 2012 Revelation 140 is definitely worth checking out from CRC for around $400 if on a budget. If you don't like it, you won't loose much trying to sell it. But if we're talking MSRP, I say go Float 34 vs a 2013 Revelation, you can't beat it, but are you willing to drop $800+ on a fork, you surely won't be disappointed by it at all. Especially with Fox's warranty department as well. They've been stellar in my own experiences (more on that later) vs the nightmare trying to deal with SRAM and a busted Reverb post.

Lastly, the 34mm X Fusion Trace is worth mentioning, priced from $600-750, but it's been getting pushed back monthly now, latest ETA is April last I heard.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    Ok, you guys on here have got me really conflicted.
    If there are more 6' tall riders riding a medium (without a long stem and setback post) I'd sure like to hear about how it is.
    Well, I am 5'-9" on a small, inline post and 50mm stem, and couldn't be happier with the fit. I don't find the small to be a tight fit for my height.

I think a medium would be bang-on for you, personally.

meatier showers

Don't bother with the Talas 34 IMO. That's what I had on my Honzo when I first built it because I had to have black lowers lol. Did I ever use the Talas feature? Once. And that was that. The search for a black Float 34 started and I finally found one mid season. The Float is a lighter fork, felt smoother, and definitely a lot less to go wrong since the Talas likes to stopped working and you're usually stock at the lowest setting. At 110mm on the Honzo, there was way too many rock strikes and never really liked how it rode. 140mm is perfect for this bike. And the Talas was my first travel adjust fork as well. Never buying another one.

I agree with this 100%. I've owned two travel-adjust forks in my life, never used the reduced travel feature on either of them. Reduced A-to-C climbs & descends worse than full travel. Plus more to go wrong with the fork. Plus more expensive to begin with.

May sound like a good idea while shopping, but not in practice. IMO buy a 140mm fork. Period.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    Ok, you guys on here have got me really conflicted. My Honzo frame has arrived and is sitting in my living room. I'm just not sure if I should send it back for a large, or build up the medium. I sort of feel like my riding style gravitates towards smaller frames. Singlespeed, always out of the sadle and throwing the bike around. I'm just not sure what I should do...

I'm 6' and ride a 18" with a 50mm stem with a 760mm bar and a non set back post and it feels great. At first it seemed just slightly small, since my other trail bike has a .5" longer top tube, but after a couple rides i got used to it. Now it feels perfect and I wouldn't want it any bigger. It's really easy to flick around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 5' 11" and got the large frame (20) and a 50mm stem. Fits perfect. I've got a longer inseam than most people my height. My friend is 5' 10" with a similar inseam and she rocked the bike like it was a toy.

I can toss it around with ease.

Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 76 ... LastLast