Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    I couldn't find anything on the Kona site about recommended size for rider hight. I ordered a medium (I'm 6') because the ETT and reach is a little longer than the frames I've been riding. But I see a
    Lot of 6' people that are getting the large.

Any 6' guys riding mediums??
    I am in the same boat. The specs on the Medium look to match what I would want, but sometimes bikes will fit larger or smaller than the specs on paper.

I am 6' tall and currently riding a TransAM 26er with 650b wheels. 24.2 ETT, 44.2 wheelbase, something like 68.5/73 angles. I ride it with a 50mm stem and I know I don't want a bike that is any longer than the TA. I like the setup, but the BB is something like 13.1 with the bigger wheels, so it doesn't turn that well.

Very interested to hear how the Medium Honzo fits.

mtbr member
    No wonder I hated the fit of my 26er TransAM, mine was setup with a 50mm stem as well, 780mm bars, and I was always felt cramped and OTB on it being 6'4". But the only advice I can give to you guys is the Honzo rides smaller than ETT leads you to believe (at least IMO). I was hesitant about going with a 26" ETT but I'm sure glad I did. I also had the Large frame (20" regular) at the house before but never built it up to see how it rides, it looked short in the ETT, especially if you plan on running short stems on this bike as it was designed to do.

mtbr member
    @Eurospek
    I'm 6'5" and got the 20L (XL in europe) frame, since you are almost as tall as me and also have the honzo, which stem length would you recommend?

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Any 6' guys riding mediums??
    I, like you, live where it is pretty flat overall and the medium frame is fine for me at 6'2. My build has an 70mm stem, 762mm wide bars and a set back post...

mtbr member
    As I said, I am just over 6' tall and I was able to test ride both a medium and large Honzo before buying. The medium definitely felt too small for me, too short feeling. I could ride it, but the front wheel seemed close to my feet when turning and the handlebars too close to my knees. The large feels just right to me. It's hard to compare the frame geo numbers because the design is different than other 29ers (I was coming from a 19" Unit and comparing numbers was almost useless). I also have a Banshee Spitfire, and actually those frame numbers for TT and reach are very similar to the Honzo. The Honzo is designed around a short stem, 60mm is what comes on the large. Therefore the top tube and reach will be slightly longer than other bikes designed around long stems. I do wish Kona would have put a sizing chart on the website, that would probably help clear up a lot of these questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    I, like you, live where it is pretty flat overall and the medium frame is fine for me at 6'2. My build has an 70mm stem, 762mm wide bars and a set back post...
    IMO it sounds like the frame is too small for you, hence the need for the longer stem and set back post.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    IMO it sounds like the frame is too small for you, hence the need for the longer stem and set back post.
    70mm is considered a long stem? I think riding style and terrain need to be considered when building one of these frames from the ground up, as I did. If the bike is pointed down a majority of the time then a longer ETT and short stem would be more desired, but when trail riding where there is just as much climbing as descending it is better to have a little more weight on the front axle to keep the front from wondering. To say a frame is designed around the stem is a little on the kool-aid side...
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 02-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    @Eurospek
    I'm 6'5" and got the 20L (XL in europe) frame, since you are almost as tall as me and also have the honzo, which stem length would you recommend?
    Definitely start out with a 50mm. If you find it short (although I doubt it) move to a 60mm. And definitely wide bars (780+mm) help.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I concur. At 6'2" on a 24" ETT? Idk how you do it. The Honzo is already a wheelie machine, with a setback post, somewhat small frame and ETT, climbing sounds like a fun time for you. Not.

To say a frame is designed around the stem is a little on the kool-aid side...
    Then you must be sipping on that Haterade. Look up what Kona Gravity Product Manager Chris Mandell said about the design of this frame and maybe you'll understand it the concept of the small stem on the Honzo.

I can't imagine someone only 2 inches shorter than me 2 frame sizes down and still be comfortable. I did all that before, short ETT and short stems and it was fine for the first hour on the trail, anything over and I've counted the minutes of getting back to the car. And this was on somewhat flat trail riding. And my previous bike rode so fun with a 50mm stem, stepped up to a 70mm, lost it all, and even tried a 90mm, which was super comfortable in terms of reach and sizing, but the fun was lost completely. Long ETT + short stems is winning.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    At 6'2" on a 24" ETT? Idk how you do it. The Honzo is already a wheelie machine, with a setback post, somewhat small frame and ETT, climbing sounds like a fun time for you. Not.
    Every bike I have ever owned over the last 18 years of riding MTB has had a ETT of 24 to 24.5 and similar stack-n-reach. When fitted for the IF, a standard 19" frame was ordered with +0.42" to the ETT @ 24.02". I do have to admit, 50mm stems do look really cool though.
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 02-20-2013 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got my Honzo set up with a 90mm stem and a set back Thompson post. I'm 5 11 and the bike fits perfectly. Prior to the set back post however, it did feel a little cramped. In regards to stem size and such, I just rode 40 miles on the Black Canyon Trail in Az, a large percentage of the ride was spent hanging out the leg railing downhill turns. Trust me, the bike handles just fine. As far as climbing goes, I do the majority of mine standing so I'm not even coming close to looping out. This being said, I personally think anyone over 5 11 should probably be on a large with a shorter stem. I'm running a 60 mm on my new whip and it does feel good. I also recently went to some 2.4 Ardents front and rear on the Honzo and they absolutely rip my terrain with plenty of clearance. Pic is old but lost in the thread and all my newer ones are too big, even cell phone pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Does the frame come with rear axle?

mtbr member
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by eurospek; 02-19-2013 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine did... I think
    Still have to figure out what it is, but my frame had a black rock shox maxle 142x12 axle with it. Not sure if it is a front or a rear axle, maybe I'll post a picture of it when I'm home tonight. The frame also included a seatpost qr clamp and clips for the cables.

meatier showers

Mine did... I think
    Still have to figure out what it is, but my frame had a black rock shox maxle 142x12 axle with it. Not sure if it is a front or a rear axle, maybe I'll post a picture of it when I'm home tonight. The frame also included a seatpost qr clamp and clips for the cables.
    Through axles are supposed to be supplied with frames and forks. dfuse, if you bought frame only, then the Maxle you received is for the frame (since Kona has no idea which fork you'll employ).

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Through axles are supposed to be supplied with frames and forks. dfuse, if you bought frame only, then the Maxle you received is for the frame (since Kona has no idea which fork you'll employ).

=S
    Thought the same but then I saw a vid on pinkbike, the rear axle seemed to consist of 2 parts.. anyway, found a pic online of what the axle looks like that I got with my frame: http://www.bikeparts4u.nl/image/cach...rg-500x500.jpg. Is that a rear axle? (still got some research to do before my bike is complete )

meatier showers
    Thought the same but then I saw a vid on pinkbike, the rear axle seemed to consist of 2 parts.. anyway, found a pic online of what the axle looks like that I got with my frame: http://www.bikeparts4u.nl/image/cach...rg-500x500.jpg. Is that a rear axle? (still got some research to do before my bike is complete )
    Indeed it is.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    So it seems yes, you do with the 2013 frame.

mtbr member
    I edited my post, I was pretty sure the frame didn't come with a Maxle, good to know. Now if only my Sun-Ringle Charger Experts were convertible I'd love to try the 142x12 setup to see if there's any stiffness difference.

mtbr member

Anybody know where I can find the regular QR dropouts? Because apperently my hope SS/trails hubs aren't convertible either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anybody know where I can find the regular QR dropouts? Because apperently my hope SS/trails hubs aren't convertible either.
    The X12 Thru kit won't work for the Evo SS hubs? Are they specific to the non SS Evo2?

Wiggle | Hope Pro 2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Axle Conversion Kit | Hub Spares

mtbr member

They aren't evo's, just the regular SS/trials or the older ones

mtbr member

Unless somebody knows otherwise, I'd be very happy to be wrong about this

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Unless somebody knows otherwise, I'd be very happy to be wrong about this
    Probably best to contact Hope directly. It may be an axle swap, as opposed to end cap replacements for the Evo line. Just my guess, so best to check with Hope. If you still need to go with the QR dropouts, I may consider going to 142x12 myself and we can swap. I have '12 model with the QR rear and still in build planning stage. Let me know!

mtbr member
    70mm is considered a long stem? I think riding style and terrain need to be considered when building one of these frames from the ground up, as I did. If the bike is pointed down a majority of the time then a longer ETT and short stem would be more desired, but when trail riding where there is just as much climbing as descending it is better to have a little more weight on the front axle to keep the front from wondering. To say a frame is designed around the stem is a little on the kool-aid side...
    70mm is not long, just longer than stock. Mostly the setback post is what indicates to me that a frame is on the small side. Especially because a setback post moves your CG rearward, exactly where you don't want it for climbing. I don't know what Kool-aid you drink, but frames are definitely designed around a certain stem length...you can't just put any length stem on any frame and expect it to always work ok. But you can change the stem length within reason to fine tune the fit. I don't think your stem length is wrong, but unless you have unusual body proportions I still think a large frame would fit you better. Did you try a large, or only the medium?

mtbr member
    Derailleur Hanger/dropouts - Kona USA Web Store

The QR dropouts are CC style.

Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast