Page 24 of 73 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 3646
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Thanks guys! Euro, I looked at the 111, but I just felt like trying 650b. I rode both and the 111 really felt like my Honzo, which it was based on, only with less travel, rear sus., and a steeper head angle. I chose the 153 for the 66.5 head angle and Pike and because I want it for gnarlier terrain. It's a very stout bike and comes with a terrific build. Even the wheels are great, love the cockpit and brakes.
    i dont mean to argue with you about how the bike feels, but the Honzo, P134 and P111 all have a 68° head angle.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    He got the 153 though, not the 134.... or do you mean the Honzo and 111 are different?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I've been shopping for a 650b trailbike for the last few months. Sold my Spider 29 frame and started buying 650b parts (I also sold a Steely to your brother) - the money ran out so I scooped the Honzo and tossed my parts on it. The Honzo was supposed to be temporary but I've fallen in love with it. I will be keeping it in the quiver.

I've been bugging my LBS for a process 153 frame only but nothing available yet. I started thinking I would buy complete to save some cash and then I have been comparing prices. Kona wants a lot for the DL!!! Price is not far off from some carbon bikes. I am still undecided, but I am considering the Process 153, the 134, the Bronson and the Tracer. I'll be interested to see what your take is on the Process. I'm sure the bike is great but it seems like some bike companies like Norco and Kona have a 650b markup just because it's hot right not. If you look at the Giant lineup you get better compoments for less money... I hate Giant though!

Anyways, love your bike - keep posting updates.
    Will do. I'll do a proper write up and start a new thread, but I'll post a link here. The nice thing about the 153 DL is the part spec is really good. Even the wheels are great. The WTB i25 tubless ready might be better than flow ex's if you plan to run a tubeless ready tire like the High Roller. I also love the look of the 40mm stem. And finally, the shock and fork are top of the line. I haven't compared them to similar builds price wise, but I also didn't pay full retail. When I spec the bike out in my head, I feel like it's a fair price for a really good complete build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    i dont mean to argue with you about how the bike feels, but the Honzo, P134 and P111 all have a 68° head angle.
    My Honzo is at 67 because I run a Float 140mm. I know it's only a degree, but I could tell.

mtbr member
    Flatlandersk, if you don't mind could you post or pm the bikes you're comparing the 153DL to? I'm curious about the price point. I did a quick search and found this Bronson to compare:
    Santa Cruz Bronson Alloy X01 Complete - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

In my opinion, the Kona build beats it in geometry, handlebar, stem, wheels, shock, and fork. I'm not really up to snuff on sram drivetrain, but it looks like the Bronson build link is much better, same brakes.

I checked out the giant:

Trance SX 27.5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

and I see how it's about a grand less, so I get where you're coming from. BUT, like you said it's a Giant and it comes with a lot of Giant parts, even the dropper. Kona specs parts that most would upgrade to or choose for a build.

The Intense 275 Tracer looks to be a similar price as the 153 DL:
    Intense Cycles Tracer 275 Expert Bike 2013 | Intense Cycles USA | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    Wow that is one SICK build! What might be the weight on your bike? I'm not a light weight freak but my ride is stock and definitely not light.
    With reverb and specialized butcher up front, 29lbs 3 ounces

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Trance SX 27.5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

and I see how it's about a grand less, so I get where you're coming from. BUT, like you said it's a Giant and it comes with a lot of Giant parts, even the dropper. Kona specs parts that most would upgrade to or choose for a build.
    Nothing wrong with Giant's house branded parts. Wheels are light & strong with DT Swiss hub internals, bladed spokes etc, and their Connect SL cockpit is better quality than Kona's IMO.

The thing that puts me off Giant is their Overdrive 2 steerer, and the press-fit BB which is common to both...

mtbr member
    It's the second ride with an awesome add... A Reverb! Guys... this... change EvErYtHiNG!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-sta_4566.jpg
    Last edited by mathoss; 11-19-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Bnerd

Still Stoked!

Every time I ride my Honzo I'm blown away by this bike!
    As long as I'm willing to commit to the line the bike (and the fork - most of the time) will ride through it!

I've been running Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and back for the past 2 months on the SunRingle Charger Pros with no issues.
    It is a tight squeeze on the rear but it works with very minimal rub. The rear rim is very close to being retired after 2 full seasons of very hard riding. With that happening I've got some seriously wonky spoke tension happening to have the rim run straight and not fold while I smash it through stuff.

With today's ride I was reminded very clearly that the stock 2012 Rev fork isn't really meant as a full on "AM" fork. There were a few moments where I felt the fork seriously flex back under the bike in hard g-outs with less than optimal transitions.

We rode a trail that was a part of the first stage of the Whistler WORCA FUNduro today. The trail is called Peas In A Pod and it has some solid steep tech sections to keep you on your toes!

We didn't stop very much for pics but here is one from one of the smaller features on the trail.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-pa200028.jpg
    I didn't quite make the corner coming off of the off-camber rock line.
    At least I managed to wedge myself into a small tree that held me nicely balanced!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-pa200033.jpg

Norđwegr
    I'm considering buying and building a Honzo frame, but how much should I be paying for the frame?

Prices that I've seen have varied by alot for no apparent reason. This one has a gold base and orange lettering.
    Last edited by Vegard; 10-23-2013 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Used anywhere from $275 to $400 I've seen.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Titanium

Hey guys. Was chatting at our local Enduro race with Chris Mandell (designer of the Honzo). I was telling him how much I love my Honzo. He was stoked. He filled me in that there will be a Ti frame coming out with the Honzo's geo. It might have slightly more stand over height as well. Sounds like it will be pretty badass. Hopefully I'll see it being tested on the local trails soon.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Norđwegr
    Can someone link me to a decent headset that'll work on the honzo frame?
    I've only used lefties before and this headset stuff is confusing :O

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Used anywhere from $275 to $400 I've seen.
    I found a new 2013 on ebay for quite cheap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Can someone link me to a decent headset that'll work on the honzo frame?
    The stock headset type is a ZS44 upper and an EC44 lower for tapered forks. Use the Cane Creek headset finder on their website if plan on going with a non-tapered fork. Cane Creek 40 series headsets are a great value.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    The stock headset type is a ZS44 upper and an EC44 lower for tapered forks. Use the Cane Creek headset finder on their website if plan on going with a non-tapered fork. Cane Creek 40 series headsets are a great value.
    Thanks, I'll look into that!
    I'll make a separate thread so I don't clutter this one with questions

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    New to Honzo. Some questions: what is the difference(apart from colour) between the 2012 and 2013 frames? The 2013 frame bronze/gold is that anodised or some sort of tinted lacquer over raw? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    New to Honzo. Some questions: what is the difference(apart from colour) between the 2012 and 2013 frames? The 2013 frame bronze/gold is that anodised or some sort of tinted lacquer over raw? Cheers.
    2012 has a slightly longer seat tube for each respective size other than the 20" Long or XL, it's 20" for 2012, 2013, and 2014. All the other geo is the same for all the years. 2012 also is 135x10 QR dropout. 2013+ is 142x12 dropouts but you can buy the QR or even SS dropouts from Kona. 2013+ also has received a small brace between the seat tube and top tube. As for the color, 2013 and 2014 are simply color tinted clearcoats over a raw frame, nothing more. I have yet to see an anodized cromoly frame.
    konahonzo

Bro Mountainbiker

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I'm freaking loving my honzo.
    It needs some more aggressive tires though...
    Here are some pics.
    I singlespeeded it, threw on a dropper, 785mm handlebars, xt brakes w/ 7 inch rotors.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382990009.972917.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382990031.576736.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382990051.119476.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382990075.061334.jpg

I'm hoping on getting an on one chunky monkey tire for the front, and I'll move that ardent to the rear.
    Should be a solid combo.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    2012 has a slightly longer seat tube for each respective size other than the 20" Long or XL, it's 20" for 2012, 2013, and 2014. All the other geo is the same for all the years. 2012 also is 135x10 QR dropout. 2013+ is 142x12 dropouts but you can buy the QR or even SS dropouts from Kona. 2013+ also has received a small brace between the seat tube and top tube. As for the color, 2013 and 2014 are simply color tinted clearcoats over a raw frame, nothing more. I have yet to see an anodized cromoly frame.
    That's great info. Also looking at the Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    That's great info. Also looking at the Yelli Screamy.
    How tall are you? The Yellis run kinda short in the ETT department. I had a purple XL frame here mocked up somewhat with parts and decided to sell it in favor of my beloved Honzo 20" Long frame. Plus steel is real.
    konahonzo

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    Hey guys. Was chatting at our local Enduro race with Chris Mandell (designer of the Honzo). I was telling him how much I love my Honzo. He was stoked. He filled me in that there will be a Ti frame coming out with the Honzo's geo. It might have slightly more stand over height as well. Sounds like it will be pretty badass. Hopefully I'll see it being tested on the local trails soon.
    Awesome news. Hopefully it would have a 30.9/31.6 seat tube too.

Chronic 1st-timer
    A little updating has been done.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone know the stem length that comes withe stock build?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How tall are you? The Yellis run kinda short in the ETT department. I had a purple XL frame here mocked up somewhat with parts and decided to sell it in favor of my beloved Honzo 20" Long frame. Plus steel is real.
    hi eurospek

6ft 4ins. I like the Honzo geo better than YS...can run shorter stem. But YS would be 2/3ibs lighter? Now, also considering the Process 111 or might wait for the Honzo ti? Any thoughts? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Anyone know the stem length that comes withe stock build?
    60mm

hi eurospek

6ft 4ins. I like the Honzo geo better than YS...can run shorter stem. But YS would be 2/3ibs lighter? Now, also considering the Process 111 or might wait for the Honzo ti? Any thoughts? Cheers.
    Same height then. Definitely suggest going with the Kona geometry, shorter stems=better. If you're looking at weight savings, then I suggest a Taro frame from Kona. Similar geo to a Honzo but in aluminum and no sliders. But in all honesty, I definitely do not feel the weight of my Honzo riding around and it's under 31 lbs. I'm also curious about the Honzo Ti but looking at Raijin and Explosif Ti frame pricing, I would rather be on a full suspension bike at those prices.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    60mm

Same height then. Definitely suggest going with the Kona geometry, shorter stems=better. If you're looking at weight savings, then I suggest a Taro frame from Kona. Similar geo to a Honzo but in aluminum and no sliders. But in all honesty, I definitely do not feel the weight of my Honzo riding around and it's under 31 lbs. I'm also curious about the Honzo Ti but looking at Raijin and Explosif Ti frame pricing, I would rather be on a full suspension bike at those prices.
    Good point about the ti pricing. Do you think the P111 would be ok with a 140 Pike? If not I might consider the P153?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Does anybody know the shock size of the P111 and P153?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I'm hoping on getting an on one chunky monkey tire for the front, and I'll move that ardent to the rear.
    Should be a solid combo.
    Nice ride. I am currently running that exact tire combination on my Honzo both in 2.4. The Monkey is heavy and soft, the knobs make it look bigger and meaner than the Ardent but the actual width is a little smaller. I opted for the softer version and it wears pretty fast. My buddy tried my single speed that had 2 monkeys on it and said he thought it felt draggy. Maybe the Ardent in the rear helps that out a bit because I tried Strava for the first time this weekend and had some KOM times on a few descents. Our terrain is mostly smooth clay but it gets wet sometimes and the Monkey was good for that. Overall though I am going back to Ardent 2.4 front and back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    While I was in a LBS enquiring about a possible demo of one of the new Process bikes ( they are having to request one for me), in walked a guy with a blue 2012 Honzo. Very nice looking bike I must say and I really like that colour and the understated graphics. I think I read somewhere that you can convert the 2012 drop outs to 142 x 12? Anybody know about this, because I might try and get hold of an older frame if I can.

mtbr member
    The 142x12 drop outs and 9qr are interchangeable among the different years of the frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My honzo. Better wheels and dropper as soon as I can afford them

mtbr member
    Does anybody know the shock size of the P111 and P153?
    P111 = 184 x 44
    P134 = 190 x 50
    P153 = 216 x 63

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think I read somewhere that you can convert the 2012 drop outs to 142 x 12? Anybody know about this, because I might try and get hold of an older frame if I can.
    Yep, I have the '12 Honzo, and just ordered the 142x12mm dropouts from my Kona dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks everyone for the info, cheers

Norđwegr
    What's the q factor? (2013 frame if that matters) and have anyone tried 51mm rake?
    Last edited by Vegard; 11-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Looking for an 2012 18" Honzo frame, been riding a large 2013 for some time but I want something a bit smaller and more nimble for chucking around, can anyone help me out?

mtbr member
    Anybody try this bike out and compare it with the Stache?

I really like the Honzo, especially the pricepoint, but not sure about the weight of a steel frame. Seems a bit portly to me. For my size (M Honzo vs 17.5 Stache), id imagine the weight difference could be close to 4-5 lbs. Is this noticeable climbing? Thoughts on Steel vs aluminum?

Bro Mountainbiker

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Anybody try this bike out and compare it with the Stache?

I really like the Honzo, especially the pricepoint, but not sure about the weight of a steel frame. Seems a bit portly to me. For my size (M Honzo vs 17.5 Stache), id imagine the weight difference could be close to 4-5 lbs. Is this noticeable climbing? Thoughts on Steel vs aluminum?
    I demoed a stache on some diverse trail, and I own a honzo with a 140mm fork that I have ridden all over.
    They are totally different category bikes.
    The stache is more of an "aggressive XC-trail" bike, and the honzo is much more "am" oriented.

The stache is much lighter in weight, but doesn't ride too much lighter...

I prefer the honzo for everything but climbing. But once the trail turns down, the honzo outperforms the stache in every way.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Yah I really wish I could demo both, but neither of my LBS seems to carry any regularly. Can order them, but tough to get a feel if not in store. I like both bikes actually, and if I had to categorize myself, I'd say just looking for a 29 HT singletrack trail machine.

Unfortunately, climbing can be a decent to big part of that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzoTom View Post
    Looking for an 2012 18" Honzo frame, been riding a large 2013 for some time but I want something a bit smaller and more nimble for chucking around, can anyone help me out?
    try these guys Bothy Bikes | Mountain biking in the Scottish Highlands

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New (to me) bike day! Took her for the first ride. 2014 stock except for SLX brakes. Here's a few musings.

-Had no trouble climbing even out of the saddle. Expected a little more wheel lift, felt stable as can be.
    -Frame size definitely right. I was a little concerned with my 6'2" height the huge TT would be too long, but it feels just right. The L bike would be too small. Still need to play with saddle placement and stem length.
    -Heavy, but good feeling ride. I like bikes to be overly built, and this one obviously is. Definitely capable of being ridden harder than my skill set allows.
    -SLX brakes are the bees knees. Coming from some Avid Elixir 3s, it's amazing what a difference these make. Quiet, powerful, very nice.
    -Fork felt good, no noodling from what I can tell, though my downhill section was only 10 minutes or so.

I'll update more after my next ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    One thing I noticed now looking at your XL pic, the headtube seems longer than my 2012 (or this 20" Long for comparison) as there's more space between the top tube and down tube junction. I wonder why Kona decided to lengthen it from 110mm to 120mm. Interesting. Comparing 2014 geometry to 2012/13, everything is pretty much the same except 2014 has a slightly higher stack and shorter reach for the XL. Hmmm.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Think I'm going to end up getting one of these. Stopped by my LBS to start working on a custom build, frame up. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock, so was wondering what size I would want.

I'm 5'8 140 lbs with a 30 inseam. I currently ride a 17.5 26 inch fuel ex, and had a trek 29er a while back that was 17.5 as well. I was thinking medium, but heard these run big and might wanna get a size down to increase maneuverability. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Think I'm going to end up getting one of these. Stopped by my LBS to start working on a custom build, frame up. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock, so was wondering what size I would want.

I'm 5'8 140 lbs with a 30 inseam. I currently ride a 17.5 26 inch fuel ex, and had a trek 29er a while back that was 17.5 as well. I was thinking medium, but heard these run big and might wanna get a size down to increase maneuverability. Thoughts?
    Actually found some good info from some posts a while ago. Saw that this frame does indeed run a tad big, so a small should fit me probably perfectly. Here is what I have so far, please give me feedback and thoughts:

- Small Honzo frame
    - Stock RS Revolution 120 Fork
    - 1x10 SLX drivetrain
    - SLX Rear Derailleur
    - SLX Brakes
    - Stock handlebar, seatpost, stem, grips (might replace later on)
    - Stan's Flow EX 29 wheelset (mechanic mentioned this would be a big upgrade and should shed about 1lb total. Thoughts?)
    - Stock Maxxis Ardent tire up front, Maxxis Ikon in the back.
    - Tubeless set-up

Any thoughts on this? Mostly thinking about the wheelset as that is the thing I had most questions on. The SLX brakes and deraileur are a given for me as I really love that line. Gonna stick with a 120 fork as that should be fine for me.

mtbr member
    What hubs with the Flow EX? If you're looking at the regular No Tubes Flow EX wheelset than I wouldn't really bother with the upgrade. The 2014 wheelset is quite better than anything so far on the 2012 and 2013 Honzo. If it breaks, I'd upgrade down the line to something like the Flow EX with the new 40 POE Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, under $500. If anything, I would be looking to add a pound to your build with a dropper post like a Reverb.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    What hubs with the Flow EX? If you're looking at the regular No Tubes Flow EX wheelset than I wouldn't really bother with the upgrade. The 2014 wheelset is quite better than anything so far on the 2012 and 2013 Honzo. If it breaks, I'd upgrade down the line to something like the Flow EX with the new 40 POE Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, under $500. If anything, I would be looking to add a pound to your build with a dropper post like a Reverb.
    Thanks amigo. I don't know a lot about wheels, so you think those flow ex arent a big upgrade over the stock WTB ST rims? From what I have read, the stock rims are quite heavy, and I'd be interested in shaving some weight if possible and financially feasible.

Norđwegr
    Have you considered the light bicycle carbon wheels? You can get them with Hope hubs now. (probably the 26t version though)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    From what I have read, the stock rims are quite heavy, and I'd be interested in shaving some weight if possible and financially feasible.
    The rims weigh 550gm, a comparable Stans weighs 490+, so what does "heavy" really mean?? Hope hubs are lighter than CK, but which would you trust? I just blew up a Hope II

Your shop guy is telling some tall tales, "drop a pound" with a change to flows and hopes, dang that's 500gms, no way Jose. The Deore hubs are not that heavy, the cassette and freebody will be the same, so maybe 200gms at a cost of $500+, not exactly a deal. The stock wheelset is pretty nice, too bad it comes on such a heavy arse frame

The Honzo frame is at least a pound heavier than the Taro but has the same geometry but no maxle (who really cares), you can cut weight by skipping the dropper, you can also go to lighter tires.

Tires, now that's a weight difference that matters! If you're a lightweight and you're not hitting obstacles/transitions too hard, you could shed some weight by ditching the 800gm 2.4 Ardent up front, maybe drop 100-200, but at the cost of more flats and tire failures.

You can drop ~50gms per hub, ~50gms per rim, ~100gm per tire, a few hundred grams on the dropper vs non dropper post, bars and stem could drop ~50-100gms, go to a NW chainring and drop the 150gm chain guide!

I'd get the Stock Honzo, keep the wheel and fork, lighten things up on the accessories, get an NW chainring and drop the guide, leave the rest alone and go ride. You can get under 30# and it'll be a nice ride for not a lot of $$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The rims weigh 550gm, a comparable Stans weighs 490+, so what does "heavy" really mean?? Hope hubs are lighter than CK, but which would you trust? I just blew up a Hope II

Your shop guy is telling some tall tales, "drop a pound" with a change to flows and hopes, dang that's 500gms, no way Jose. The Deore hubs are not that heavy, the cassette and freebody will be the same, so maybe 200gms at a cost of $500+, not exactly a deal. The stock wheelset is pretty nice, too bad it comes on such a heavy arse frame

The Honzo frame is at least a pound heavier than the Taro but has the same geometry but no maxle (who really cares), you can cut weight by skipping the dropper, you can also go to lighter tires.

Tires, now that's a weight difference that matters! If you're a lightweight and you're not hitting obstacles/transitions too hard, you could shed some weight by ditching the 800gm 2.4 Ardent up front, maybe drop 100-200, but at the cost of more flats and tire failures.

You can drop ~50gms per hub, ~50gms per rim, ~100gm per tire, a few hundred grams on the dropper vs non dropper post, bars and stem could drop ~50-100gms, go to a NW chainring and drop the 150gm chain guide!

I'd get the Stock Honzo, keep the wheel and fork, lighten things up on the accessories, get an NW chainring and drop the guide, leave the rest alone and go ride. You can get under 30# and it'll be a nice ride for not a lot of $$
    Wow, wouldnt have thought the chain guide would weigh so much. Is it a big negative to drop that?

Also, any recommendation on tires to go for? Ikon? Maybe a Nobby Nic up front and a Racing Ralph in back?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Were those the older Pro 2? I love my Hope Pro EVO 2 hubs, both SS and geared versions. In fact I just ordered the 40 poe FlowEX set from Cycle sports UK, for $440ish. It may have blown up for you, but I think there are many of us out there, that have plenty of good experience with them. Just like with all generally good quality stuff out there, there will always be stories here and there of problems. So, just to give my 2 cents (unwanted or not) on your question, yes I personally would trust my Hope hubs for the price and whatever weight savings they may provide.

Page 24 of 73 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast