Page 24 of 129 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You will be able to set it up SS if you swap the dropouts to QR. CMPHCCSS for the driveside and CMPHCCND non drive side. You have the choice of normal cassette rear wheel and then putting on spacers and single sprocket to get correct chainline. Think you mentioned something about putting gears on so that would be easiest option unless you want to buy two wheels.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    So, first post here. I've been researching for some weeks about what bike to buy, I want to get back into biking properly. I used to ride a Trek 6500, an XC bike which I never felt really comfortable on. After much browsing, going to bike dealers, learning about different geometries and equipment, I decided to buy a Kona Honzo (pretty bummed that the 2013 model doesn't have the awesome matte blue finish ).

To further complicate matters, I want to build this bike myself (first time), so I'm only buying the frame, Šnd I'm gonna try singlespeed. I've read this entire thread (and others) the last week so I'm pretty up to date about different components to use etc, but I don't find much information about what parts are needed to set this bike up as SS?

Ideally, I would like a front crank/ring that I can keep when I want to switch to gears, without installing a chain guide. Something like an SRAM XX1 (to which I would mate a x9 type 2 rear derailleur), but preferably a bit cheaper.

Also the rear hub, not to sure what to look for, I don't quite understand the difference between a freewheel and a casette hub. And as I understand it's difficult to find a 142x12 freewheel hub?

I'm going to my LBS for ordering the frame tomorrow, so I will ask him these questions too, but I like to be prepared as in the past I've been suckered into buying some shitty components for my commuter as the LBS just wanted to sell the stuff he had laying around.

Any other tips are welcome too!
    Personally I'd steer clear of screw-on freewheels. There's much more flexibility in freehub / cassette in case you ever decide to run gears. I'm running my Honzo SS with the stock wheelset (142x12 TA rear hub) with spacers on the freehub body and just one cog. It may not be as elegant as a SS-specific rear wheel but I'll cheerfully accept the look of a spacer stack in order to gain the gearing options. I see no reason to exchange the dropouts for QR -- it's not that QR is a "bad" system, it's just that it's not as strong plus it's what the off-road cycling world is leaving in its dust.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, took me a while to google what you meant (somehow I always arrive at sheldonbrown.com when googling stuff like this, weird site, but has a lot of useful info). Ordered my frame today, should arrive in 3 days. On to researching the other parts!

mtbr member
    Since I liked my Revelation so much, I decided to pick up the XX version and a new headset to go with it No pictures yet as I'm still waiting on the lower cup but I'm looking forward to how this beast rips with 140mm up front.
    Also on the list is a Reverb dropper post, the 12x142 dropouts and corresponding Hope axle kit; I have a line for a good deals on all of them.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    First obstacle: I can't figure out what type of crank is needed for this bike? For example, the SRAM XX1 front crankset is sold as GXP or as BB30, but I can't find out what the Honzo needs?

Now broadcasting from CO
    First obstacle: I can't figure out what type of crank is needed for this bike? For example, the SRAM XX1 front crankset is sold as GXP or as BB30, but I can't find out what the Honzo needs?
    I believe you would need the GXP (or external bearing) version of any crank you buy. BB30 or BB92 or PF30 cranksets use a pressed-in bottom bracket bearing which this frame is not compatible with. Also, I might steer clear of the XX1 crankset as it is designed for a specific chain which might give you compatibility issues with a singlespeed cog. I could be wrong though, XX1 is too new for a lot of this info to be out yet. You can get any regular triple ring crankset (like an XT or something), buy a SS chainring from Salsa or Surly (they're inexpensive and durable), and a cog from Surly (same thing: inexpensive and durable), plus a cheap 8 or 9 speed chain and have a great SS setup. SRAM, Shimano, and FSA also make single ring specific cranksets if you want to go that route as well.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks. The reason I was considering (not decided yet, so expensive) the xx1 is that if I would decide later on to switch to an 1x setup, I wouldn't need a chainguide with the xx1. I've seen some people here trying the xx1 for a singlespeed, but as you said, it seems too soon for some feedback.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm considering a small Honzo, but Kona's geo chart states 31.5 inches which seems higher than most other 29er frames in a small/16" size. I noticed from Kona's geo diagram they measure a few inches in front of the BB rather than directly over the BB. Does this explain why it's about 1-2" more than "normal"? Can someone verify on their Honzo build, if the SO is accurate and how much less the measurement is if taken directly over the BB? I probably shouldn't worry too much about SO, if all other measurements look good, but it still has me slightly nervous nonetheless.

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Could I use a square tapered BB with the Honzo? I want to use my WI eno cranks..

meatier showers

Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    Could I use a square tapered BB with the Honzo? I want to use my WI eno cranks..
    I'm running a ST BB on mine. Works just fine.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    I could be wrong though, XX1 is too new for a lot of this info to be out yet.
    See here for some people running the xx1 as ss:
    forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/sram-xx1-crankset-ss-823355.html#post10158753 (put the http in front, I'm not allowed to post links yet)

mtbr member
    Have you thought about buying a complete bike and just converting it to single speed? You would need a cog, spacers and a chain. Everything else on the bike will work fine as a single speed. You can keep all the geared bits if you decide to run gears in the future.

mtbr member

Well, I pulled the trigger. My Honzo frame is on the way! The thing I'm looking for most in a frame is to be bomb proof.. So far I haven't found a frame that I can ride for a year without breaking. I've broken 4 frames in the past three years. A monocog, a Jabberwocky and two Mariachi's.

Hope the Honzo is up to the challenge.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger. My Honzo frame is on the way! The thing I'm looking for most in a frame is to be bomb proof.. So far I haven't found a frame that I can ride for a year without breaking. I've broken 4 frames in the past three years. A monocog, a Jabberwocky and two Mariachi's.

Hope the Honzo is up to the challenge.
    Let us know how it goes.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Have you thought about buying a complete bike and just converting it to single speed? You would need a cog, spacers and a chain. Everything else on the bike will work fine as a single speed. You can keep all the geared bits if you decide to run gears in the future.
    Yes I thought about it but various reasons made me order the frame:
    * I can easily let it be powdercoated to get rid of the hideous decals and put a nice color on it
    * I learn how a bike is put together so I can fix stuff myself instead of going to the lbs for every creak
    * I can profit from sales on the individual parts
    * If I put an xx1 chainring on it, and I would decide to ride geared after all, I don't have to install a chainguide
    * Just the fun of researching all the parts and putting it together

The frame already arrived at the lbs, and yesterday I ordered the xx1 crankset for a good price, the surly spacer kit + cog (18t). Would like an mrp bling ring, but so far haven't found a shop in Europe that sells them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    At just shy of 7 pounds (large) with beefy tubing and solid welds, if you brake this frame there's nothing you can't brake. The four frames you mentioned are flyweights compared to the Honzo. This frame is meant to last forever.

You're gonna freakin' love this bike.

mtbr member
    I picked up a barely used 2013 Honzo from the classifieds two weeks ago. Stock build for now. Changes will be convert to tubeless, adjustable seat post (still deciding which one), and replace X.7 shifter with X.9 (I hate the vagueness of the X.7). Only one ride on it so far but it feels awesome. I had a 2010 Kona Unit before and couldn't stand the XC geometry any more, but the Honzo feels just about perfect.

Here is a picture from the night I built it up:

mtbr member
    You should pop the spacer out from the Revelation and take it to 140mm. And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
    konahonzo

meatier showers

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You should pop the spacer out from the Revelation and take it to 140mm. And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
    The 2013 Rev forks aren't as simple to change travel as the '12s. Have to purchase a new part from what SRAM rep tells me. I was in a hurry so just swapped my OEM '13 120mm Rev for a '12 Dual Position 140mm Rev, tho I think I would have preferred the '13's solo air circuit. I don't use the dual position.

Anyway I agree 140mm is the way to go, travelwise.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
    Just picked up my frame, I was pleasantly surprised by the colors in real life, pictures don't do it justice

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I picked up a barely used 2013 Honzo from the classifieds two weeks ago. Stock build for now. Changes will be convert to tubeless, adjustable seat post (still deciding which one), and replace X.7 shifter with X.9 (I hate the vagueness of the X.7). Only one ride on it so far but it feels awesome. I had a 2010 Kona Unit before and couldn't stand the XC geometry any more, but the Honzo feels just about perfect.

Here is a picture from the night I built it up:

What size frame is your bike, how tall are you and how does it fit you? I'm around 5 10" but heard that the bike fits a bit bigger due to the longer front center so wouldn't know if a 16 or an 18 would work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    Since I liked my Revelation so much, I decided to pick up the XX version and a new headset to go with it No pictures yet as I'm still waiting on the lower cup but I'm looking forward to how this beast rips with 140mm up front.
    Also on the list is a Reverb dropper post, the 12x142 dropouts and corresponding Hope axle kit; I have a line for a good deals on all of them.
    Mind if I ask where you're sourcing the 142x12 dropouts? I've got a new Explosif frameset with the 135mm dropouts, and converting my Ringle 142mm hub to 135mm isn't going to be cheap.

And if anyone wants to swap your 142's for my 135's...

mtbr member
    And 2013 looks awesome. Both colors are nice!
    I initially preferred the '12 blue color, and looked around for a while to no avail. But the gold color is growing on me, I do like it now.

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    What size frame is your bike, how tall are you and how does it fit you? I'm around 5 10" but heard that the bike fits a bit bigger due to the longer front center so wouldn't know if a 16 or an 18 would work.
    I got a large frame. I am about 6' 1/2" tall. I would say it fits me perfectly. I also test rode a medium frame, which definitely felt a bit small - too short of reach for me. At 5' 10", I think a medium would fit you well.

mtbr member
    I'm going through the Kona dealer in town, although they've been somewhat phone shy. Granted I only paid $30 CAD for the dropouts but still.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member

I couldn't find anything on the Kona site about recommended size for rider hight. I ordered a medium (I'm 6') because the ETT and reach is a little longer than the frames I've been riding. But I see a
    Lot of 6' people that are getting the large.

Any 6' guys riding mediums??

Page 24 of 129 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 ... LastLast