Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 4245
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    I have never ridden the deore brakes. I have heard goods things tho. I buy the frames only and build them up its cheaper that way.

Mine is set up

Pike 140mm
    Zee Brakes
    Xt Shifter 10 speed
    Zee FR Derailluir
    XT Cassette 11-36
    Charger Pro 29 wheelset
    Hans Damp 2.35 upfront / Racing Ralph 2.4 rear
    KS LEV 150mm Seatpost
    780 Crankbrothers Carbon bars
    70mm thomson stem
    Awesome build!

mtbr member
    I have owned a 2012, a 2013 and now onto a shiny new 2015 Honzo!In comparison to previous years, the 2015 does seem to have a bit more energy however it's hard to pin point which factors contribute to this. Honzo's just inspire confidence and the lower standover does make me want to push the bike even further than before. If I was to compare all the Honzos I've ridden, I'd say the differences between them are negligible. The fun factor is the same however I find the 2015 more pleasing aesthetically with its aggressively low top tube. But each to their own, long live the Honzo!

My 2015 is a stock large full bike with the following changes made:

- Hope Enduro 29er rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo Gunmetal hubs
    - Raceface Atlas bars uncut
    - Raceface Atlas stem 50mm
    - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C set up tubeless. (Stock rear tyre also tubeless)
    - Nukeproof Proton flat pedals
    - ODI Ruffian grips
    - Shimano Ice Tech Rotors F 180mm R 160mm
    - Selle Italia SLR saddle
    - Mudhugger front mudguard
    - Rockshox Reverb Stealth (Still waiting on the bloody postman)

The next upgrade is undoubtedly going to be the suspension however finances will need time to improve first! A set of DVO Diamonds in green are what my heart is set on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0356_1024.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-thumb_img_0353_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzoTom View Post
    I have owned a 2012, a 2013 and now onto a shiny new 2015 Honzo!In comparison to previous years, the 2015 does seem to have a bit more energy however it's hard to pin point which factors contribute to this. Honzo's just inspire confidence and the lower standover does make me want to push the bike even further than before. If I was to compare all the Honzos I've ridden, I'd say the differences between them are negligible. The fun factor is the same however I find the 2015 more pleasing aesthetically with its aggressively low top tube. But each to their own, long live the Honzo!

- ODI Ruffian grips

The next upgrade is undoubtedly going to be the suspension however finances will need time to improve first! A set of DVO Diamonds in green are what my heart is set on.

Congrats on the bike excellent setup!!!!

I'm looking forward to adding the Rockshox Reverb stealth also.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbmx View Post
    Attachment 987443

My 2015 (chubby) Honzo. Just built up WTB Scraper rims (45MM internal width) with Trail Blazer 27.5+ tires. Room to spare with 2015 frame. Haven't rode it yet but expect it to be tons of fun!
    How's the clearance in the rear? You say room to spare, but would you mind posting some pics? Thanks!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    How's the clearance in the rear? You say room to spare, but would you mind posting some pics? Thanks!
    Back on page 78 or so, someone measured the opening at the yoke is 2.888" wide. Not sure if that answers your question entirely.

Norđwegr
    That's a nice build HonzoTom

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Honzo as of a few weeks ago. XT 11 speed drivetrain and Easton ARC 30 rims ordered. OG 2012 frame still going strong.

If you're browsing this thread and considering a Honzo, put your coffee down, tell your boss you have a family emergency (or tell your wife you have a work emergency,) drive to your nearest Kona dealer, and purchase!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5102.jpg

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Back on page 78 or so, someone measured the opening at the yoke is 2.888" wide. Not sure if that answers your question entirely.
    Holy smokes that's clearance!

Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    If you're browsing this thread and considering a Honzo, put your coffee down, tell your boss you have a family emergency (or tell your wife you have a work emergency,) drive to your nearest Kona dealer, and purchase!
    Nobody seems to have one in stock. Awaiting 2016's... ETA around Aug/Sept.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Holy smokes that's clearance!

Nobody seems to have one in stock. Awaiting 2016's... ETA around Aug/Sept.

Not surprising! Of course when I wrote that post I figured taking my advice literally would be fraught with peril.

Excited to see the 2016 spec.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-06.25-ppoint-02.jpg
    The HonzoSSchmidt in its element.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sure can but it will be a few days before I can because my son tried my B+ wheelset on his Yelli Screamy and loved it so much that he took off on a trip with them. I will be back on my 29er wheels the next few days which I almost hate riding now since I have gotten so use to the B+ set up.

I have about an 1/8 inch clearance between the tire and chainstay on each side with the scraper and trail blazer combo. I switched my front tire to the Fat B Nimble 3.5 inch (about 3 inches in width) and i tried to fit it in the back to see if it would work but it was just barley hitting the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine is closer to 3 inches.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I have a brown which even though I love, I think it is too small for me. I think I need to try a '15 or '16 frame in a med with my parts.

WNC Native
    Would you guys buy a used Honzo frame with this dent in the downtube?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dent-1.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dent-2.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dent-3.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    It depends. How much is it? New Honzo frames aren't that expensive so I would only buy it if it was really cheap and a new one wasn't an option.
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    It depends. How much is it? New Honzo frames aren't that expensive so I would only buy it if it was really cheap and a new one wasn't an option.
    It's about $125-150 cheaper than a new one (with headset of course). That said, I can stand the look of the 2015 LG frames.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I would guess that that frame would still last a long time. You just have to hope that if it fails it will do so gradually!

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    NO2: I can't see that dent very well, but I don't think I'd sweat it, if you're concerned about structural strength. I've got a couple nice ones on my 2012, and I regularly push mine hard as hell. No signs of cracking/weakening.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    NO2: I can't see that dent very well, but I don't think I'd sweat it, if you're concerned about structural strength. I've got a couple nice ones on my 2012, and I regularly push mine hard as hell. No signs of cracking/weakening.
    K, yeah it's kinda hard to tell exactly how big/long it is from the pics the seller gave me. He said it's only about 1/8" deep, but it's hard to tell if it goes all the way across the DT or just kinda center out on that side (which would bother me less). I've asked him that specific question. Said it had to happen from hauling on his dakine tailgate pad. Frame doesn't have much use.

Going to look at a local 2012 frame in about an hour too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Would you guys buy a used Honzo frame with this dent in the downtube?
    I dented the downtube pretty bad on my 2012 honzo the first ride out, I rode a solid year on that frame with no problems and its still going strong in the hands of someone else. I guess the downtube is mainly under tension and not compression while riding so even a large dent should be fine. Maybe you should think about the resale value though, fair enough getting a good deal on the frame but if you do end up selling it on you're gunna have to price it low.

mtbr member
    May 2015

2013 with upgrades

I bought this bike back in March and I have been upgrading and changing things around a bit. I think I have it a spot I am very happy with. This bike is amazing. Charges and rips!
    I do sometimes feel a tad bit cramped in the cockpit. I have shorter legs and a log torso. I think the 2015 Large frame with the 25" tt and the lower standover height would be a better fit... but I am still enjoying the heck out of this bike for now.

2013 Honzo (medium)

Upgrades:
    -140mm Pike RCT3
    -Rock Shox Reverb
    -Easton Haven 55mm Stem
    -Sram X9 Clutch (short cage) rear derailleur
    -Race Face NW 30T
    -2.4 Ardent on the rear in place of the stock 2.25
    -Changed the front wheel to a Sun Ringle Inferno 27 (cheapish way to change hub sizes in order to change the fork).
    -Switch between Time ATAC clipless and Xpedo Spry flat pedals

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-26a7f277-4ddc-4060-90f5-5969382d7849_zpsraj6jols.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-f82783f4-50ee-4264-b189-84d51ef0febb_zpsizksvnf7.jpg

mtbr member
    That bike just screams: 'Fun!'

I'm also enjoying a 2013 Honzo (Medium)

upgrades:
    Rockshox Reverb 125 seatpost
    Madison Flux saddle
    Shimano SLX M675 brakes
    Raceface Narrow/wide 32T
    Shimano Saint pedals
    Sexy orange SB3 grips
    Contec orange seatclamp
    Continental 2.4 Mountain king up front, the 2.4 Ardent moved to the rear

mtbr member
    [sorry, double post]
    Last edited by FracKture; 07-16-2015 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    First ride on my Honzo 2014. Bought it second hand, very happy with the ride.

I am fairly new to mtb so i dont have that many experience. Had a giant reign before Kona and i was a bit scared going to hardtail from fully. That fear got flushed away after todays ride. I was smiling the whole time. Yes the roots and rocks give you hard time, but i didnt care beacuse when i nailed it i was smiling to my ears.

Anyway bike has a few upgrades:

- KS i900 dropper(cant imagine my life without a dropper)
    - Deore M615 Brakes
    - Shovel bash
    - Blackspire 30t N/W
    - Saint PD-MX80 pedals
    - Da bomb king stem

Plans for the future:

- Increase travel to 140mm(cheap version) or buy a RS Pike(expensive version)
    - Bigger discs 203/180
    - A 150 mm dropper would be sweet

PS: Excuse my english not a native speaker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2016 Kona Ti.

Frame Only.

Sexual.

Bike and trekking - Nieuws 2016: Kona Bikes

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-ti-frame_17886.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So the new 2016 Honzo will be aluminium with steel and Ti options available as frame only.

mtbr member
    Loving the raw finish on the 2016 Steel Honzo. Time for an upgrade lol.

The seat tube brace on the Ti isn't looking pretty at all.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am really liking the look of the steel frame. I wonder if it will also be the 148 rear hub spacing? I'm surprised that Kona went almost all in with the aluminum on the Honzo. The weight isnt that bad, and I feel like its one it more defining characteristics. As someone who might be swapping frames out, I am so glad they have the steel as a frame only option still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Loving the raw finish on the 2016 Steel Honzo. Time for an upgrade lol.
    There is speculation the rear of the Honzo is boosted. No one knows if the 142 dropouts can be retrofitted. If the Honzo has 148 spacing I am going to have to avoid the LBS that deals trek for killing my bike.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    :drooling:

If that rear end is wider than my 2014 (my issue with this frame since 2012), I know where my $$ are going next year!

EDIT: Now that I've seen it costs $2200, I longer see that in my future.
    Last edited by lubes17319; 07-20-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Re: Aluminium Honzo

I'm a pit puzzled, I thought the aluminium version of the Honzo was the Taro?

Does this mean the Taro is being dropped?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have searched this whole thread looking for info regarding what offset will work best with a 140mm pike on the Honzo. Seems like most people went with the 51mm offset and are happy with it, but I am wondering whether anyone has had good experience with the 46mm offset as well at 140mm of travel?

I ask because, right now, it seems easier to find good deals on Pikes with 46mm offset. I am wondering whether there is a benefit to the 51mm offset that is worth paying an extra 100-150 bucks.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    I have searched this whole thread looking for info regarding what offset will work best with a 140mm pike on the Honzo. Seems like most people went with the 51mm offset and are happy with it, but I am wondering whether anyone has had good experience with the 46mm offset as well at 140mm of travel?

I ask because, right now, it seems easier to find good deals on Pikes with 46mm offset. I am wondering whether there is a benefit to the 51mm offset that is worth paying an extra 100-150 bucks.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I went with the standard 46mm offset on the 140 pike. I quite like it. It really is not a dramatic different in handling from the 120mm. The added slackness and travel is an absolute blast going downhill. It corners and climbs well and just rips all over. I wouldn't change it. I would also definitely not spend more money to find out what I could be missing, because I am very happy with the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by altron3030 View Post
    I went with the standard 46mm offset on the 140 pike. I quite like it. It really is not a dramatic different in handling from the 120mm. The added slackness and travel is an absolute blast going downhill. It corners and climbs well and just rips all over. I wouldn't change it. I would also definitely not spend more money to find out what I could be missing, because I am very happy with the way it rides.
    Oh I agree, definitely wouldn't pay if I already had the fork. I am just starting out my frame-up build so I am part shopping... wondering if the 51mm offset vs 46mm offset might be worth potentially $100 more, or whether the difference is negligible.

Thanks for your response!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I went from a 51 to a 46mm offset on my enduro 29 and got a pretty significant improvement in initiating turns. I'm sure it's different on every bike but I was surprised how much difference I noticed in a good way.

Rocks belong
    If staying at 120, either is fine. If going to 130-140, personally, I'd go with 51mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    I went from a 51 to a 46mm offset on my enduro 29 and got a pretty significant improvement in initiating turns. I'm sure it's different on every bike but I was surprised how much difference I noticed in a good way.
    How much travel were you at on that fork? How was the lower offset for stability at higher speeds?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    The feeling should've actually been the opposite. more offset = less trail = quicker steering for a given head tube angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The feeling should've actually been the opposite. more offset = less trail = quicker steering for a given head tube angle.
    I'm not saying the turning is quicker. The front wheel just feels more planted in turns. 160mm by the way.

Rocks belong
    Ok. Guess we look at helping 'initiate turns' differently. Glad you're happier with your new setup

mtbr member
    May 2015
    While I have no experience with the 51mm offset, I can at least comment on the fact that the 46mm offset on the 140 fork handles great. I don't think I would want the steering to be quicker. I quite like the stable feeling and confidence descending that I get out of the standard offset. That being said, it is apparent that people enjoy both options of the offset. It is hard to pick one, because it would require mounting each on the intended bike and test riding each offset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by altron3030 View Post
    While I have no experience with the 51mm offset, I can at least comment on the fact that the 46mm offset on the 140 fork handles great. I don't think I would want the steering to be quicker. I quite like the stable feeling and confidence descending that I get out of the standard offset. That being said, it is apparent that people enjoy both options of the offset. It is hard to pick one, because it would require mounting each on the intended bike and test riding each offset.
    Well I doubt either one would make or break the experience on this bike... Would be great to have a definitive answer but seems like that's not likely in this case!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've only ever ridden my honzo at 140mm with a 46mm offset pike. I'm also interested in what 51mm would do to the handling, both at 120mm and 140mm. Would be really interested in trying it out with both forks back to back and see what the difference is.

Would also make a genuinely interesting magazine article.

As with SB666 I'm keen to know if anyone has experienced both?

mtbr member
    mmmm, yes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-3.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-4.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo_ti_frame.jpg  

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Personally I'm not digging the seat tube gusset. Feel like it could've been done a bit more gracefully. Looks like you might be able to store a spare tube in there though.

mtbr member
    Can someone with a 2015 frame and 32t N/W "eyeball" the clearances to see if a 34t would fit. Pics would be great. TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am looking into headsets for my 2015 Honzo build, will likely go with the cane creek 40 series. Can anyone guide me in the direction of what size headset I want and whether its best to go with integrated zero stack or traditional stack on this bike? This is my first frame up build and I am new to choosing headsets.

Thanks!

Rocks belong
    As far as I can find, it's a good 'ole ZS44/ZS56. Cane Creek 40 is tough to beat for the price.

Norđwegr
    I'd try to check out ebay and see if I could get the 110 cups, imho they look a little better and the internals are interchangeable between the 40 and the 110.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As far as I can find, it's a good 'ole ZS44/ZS56. Cane Creek 40 is tough to beat for the price.
    That's for the 2015 right? Kona told me 44zs top and 44ec bottom, but maybe they were just referring to the pre-2015 frame with 44mm straight head tube?

mtbr member
    2015 is zs44/zs56. You can get a cane creek 40 from Art's for under $60 shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    2015 is zs44/zs56. You can get a cane creek 40 from Art's for under $60 shipped.
    Yup just saw that. It's $52 from Modern Bike but I've never ordered from them... Arts does have the free return in case anything comes up though and I have really enjoyed dealing with them in general - after typing that out I'll probably just go with Arts!

the air is thin up here..
    Wow, this thread has exploded since I built my Honzo in 2012. I think I have around 75 pages to catch up on.

Figured I'd post a new pic of mine, as my Reverb finally died so I have a new low weight.

25.5lbs on the nose, with pedals. Not too shabby.Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0242.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    mmmm, yes
    Name:  1002646d1437160123t-honzo-build-thread-post-your-builds-here-3.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  19.7 KB
    Name:  1002644d1437160121t-honzo-build-thread-post-your-builds-here-1.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  21.1 KB
    F**K YES!
    I love the look of the Ti Honzo!
    And, I seriously like the look of the seat tube gusset. You can actually see the lines of the seat tube!
    When Kona went with the blocky gusset on the later Honzos it ruined the look of the slim lines. It looks like bulgy growth.
    But each to thier own, I guess.

I'm still riding my original 2012 Honzo and really thinking hard about buying the 2016 Ti frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Wow, this thread has exploded since I built my Honzo in 2012. I think I have around 75 pages to catch up on.
    One of the OG 2012 owners lol.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Like everyone on this thread doesn't already know this, but I just have say "I love my Honzo", it rails corners, quick left to right and it always seem to get the most attention on the hill

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Did the Honzo's standover really drop by 2.5 inches? Is the 2015 29" standover? I was sure it was much lower... The frame I ordered is a small. If the 2016 is really THAT much better standover, I think I'll have to return my 2015 and wait to order the new one.

mtbr member
    Okay, the Ti Honzo looks sick. Even though I own a 2015, I too like the gusset much better than the awkward wedge. Curious about the weight difference over the steel frame.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle509 View Post
    Okay, the Ti Honzo looks sick. Even though I own a 2015, I too like the gusset much better than the awkward wedge. Curious about the weight difference over the steel frame.
    The Ti Honzo doesn't even deserve the name "Honzo"... it's a completely different bike.

13mm higher BB (less BB drop)
    25mm longer chainstays
    16mm shorter ETT
    16mm shorter reach
    0.5* slacker STA

Oops, I can't read.

Lame Ti geo, wow.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Honzo Ti 2016

The Ti Honzo doesn't even deserve the name "Honzo"... it's a completely different bike.

13mm higher BB (less BB drop)
    25mm longer chainstays
    16mm shorter ETT
    16mm shorter reach
    0.5* slacker STA
    Surely the figures on Konaworld are wrong?
    Kona state the Chain stays are 440mm and the ETT is really short. It also refers to the frame being tapered, yet it's clearly not. I've spotted errors with the copy on other kona bike geometry charts, so hopefully this will be updated wit the correct figures shortly?

KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HONZO | Honzo Ti

Please kona, tell me this is a mistake?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can't be right unless they are measuring at max extension. The chainstays look just as short as the steel one.

mtbr member
    Kona has updated the site. The ti Honzo has 415mm chainstays with the dropouts forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    kona has updated the site. The ti honzo has 415mm chainstays with the dropouts forward.
    phew!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Honzo frame comes in tomorrow and I am ordering components now! The rear brake is an IS mount? Can someone tell me what adapter I would need for a 180mm rotor and shimano zee brakes?

My Honzo frame comes in tomorrow and I am ordering components now! The rear brake is an IS mount? Can someone tell me what adapter I would need for a 180mm rotor and shimano zee brakes?
    Yes, it's a standard IS mount. You just need a "rear 180mm post mount adapter".
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Yes, it's a standard IS mount. You just need a "rear 180mm post mount adapter".
    This guy look about right?

Shimano Post Mount Calliper Adapter for Rear IS Frame Mounts | Evans Cycles

Yessir!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quick question for people that bought their Honzos frame-only. Did the frame come with the rear 142x12 skewer? Just pulled mine out of the box and i can't find it, though pictures of the new frame (for the same price I paid) show the skewer installed. This is a 2015 frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quick question for people that bought their Honzos frame-only. Did the frame come with the rear 142x12 skewer? Just pulled mine out of the box and i can't find it, though pictures of the new frame (for the same price I paid) show the skewer installed. This is a 2015 frame
    I purchased my Honzo complete although i have purchased several other frames from Kona and all have come with the through axle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofee View Post
    I purchased my Honzo complete although i have purchased several other frames from Kona and all have come with the through axle.
    This is what I suspected, thanks for your response!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does anyone know whether the 2015 frame comes treated internally at all? Is this something worth doing? Is it worth doing any sort of exterior shielding while I still have the frame bare? Or does the paint on the outside hold up pretty well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoofee View Post
    I just heard back from Kona, apparently they didnt have an agreement to include the maxle until this year... Not sure whether or not a different axle was meant to be included, or whether 2015 didnt include an axle period. I'd be curious to hear other 2015 frame buyers chime in on this one

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Question about 2016 Honzo AL models:
    KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | COMPARE BIKES

The fork, brakes & accessories, and rims to me appear to the be the main difference between the $1,600 AL and $2,200 DL.

What would you all get? Cheaper and upgrade individual parts, or are the positives of the rims and fork on the DL worth the extra $600? I still have a 26" hardtail so this would be a big upgrade and a do it all bike, including a bit of racing.

mtbr member
    It is not internally treated. Up to your conditions if it needs it. My 2013 has rub marks from the cables and scratches from riding and wrecking. And small dent in the top tube from wind knocking it over into my daughter's front bolt-on axle while we were at a park. My Honzo has a bit of character

EDIT* Also, from what I read no one who purchased the 2015 frame only received an axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No axle with my 2015 frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks!

Has anyone with the 2015 frame utilized the stealth routing? It doesn't looks like the best routing, I'm curious to know how it looks and if it causes any issues - looks like the cable would need to make an abrupt kink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzoTom View Post

- ODI Ruffian grips

Did you ever get the reverb stealth? How did the routing turn out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks!

Has anyone with the 2015 frame utilized the stealth routing? It doesn't looks like the best routing, I'm curious to know how it looks and if it causes any issues - looks like the cable would need to make an abrupt kink.
    I've got one of the early LEV Integra posts--the one with a rep for being finicky as it uses housing rather than cable tension. It's been working just fine for several months and lots of riding--even moving the seat post position. So there's one data point. lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GSPChilliwack View Post
    I've got one of the early LEV Integra posts--the one with a rep for being finicky as it uses housing rather than cable tension. It's been working just fine for several months and lots of riding--even moving the seat post position. So there's one data point. lol.
    That's great to hear, I am looking at an integra as well, I am wondering whether a hydraulic hose vs a cable/housing would work better with this particular routing. Would you possibly be able to post a picture your routing? Surprisingly, I am unable to find any examples on google images search.

mtbr member
    IMO the external KS Lev is a better option on this bike. I got one, and the cable routs perfectly along the seat-tube gusset. It looks way better to me than the weird exposed loop that you get with the stealth routing.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    IMO the external KS Lev is a better option on this bike. I got one, and the cable routs perfectly along the seat-tube gusset. It looks way better to me than the weird exposed loop that you get with the stealth routing.
    Yea that loop is lame... Seems like it wasn't too well thought out.

mtbr member
    Well if you were using a different post, that weird loop would still be better than having a cable dangling from the top of your post. It's just the KS that works so well with the external routing.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well if you were using a different post, that weird loop would still be better than having a cable dangling from the top of your post. It's just the KS that works so well with the external routing.
    Good point. But yea, having the cable exit where it does on the frame, the KS position on the collar is going to keep the cable even safer.

mtbr member
    Hello ! New to building Bikes, so all of this headset would work ? What do I choose in SHIS for upper and lower ?

Components > Handlebars, Headsets and Saddles > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA

Thanks
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi guys i just punctured my rear tire(tube) So now that i have the wheelset apart i am thinking of puting the front Ardent 2.4 to the back and buying a new tyre for the front. So i am looking for any suggestions? What are you guys riding up front? I was thinking of puting a new ardent 2.4 on front so it would be ardent 2.4/ardent2.4 combo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 3names View Post
    Hi guys i just punctured my rear tire(tube) So now that i have the wheelset apart i am thinking of puting the front Ardent 2.4 to the back and buying a new tyre for the front. So i am looking for any suggestions? What are you guys riding up front? I was thinking of puting a new ardent 2.4 on front so it would be ardent 2.4/ardent2.4 combo?
    Go continental Trail King in front

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Do you have this combo? I am looking to get some more volume in my tyres for the rocky trail we have. So i am looking for something with a lot of volume.

I have stumbled upon Maxxis minion dhf maxxpro 29x2.5? Any thoughts on this tire?

I will check the trail king tyre

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Do you have this combo? I am looking to get some more volume in my tyres for the rocky trail we have. So i am looking for something with a lot of volume.

I have stumbled upon Maxxis minion dhf maxxpro 29x2.5? Any thoughts on this tire?

I will check the trail king tyre
    My Honzo is still in the early stages of its build, no riding it yet. I ride trail kings front and back on my yeti and will likely do the same with the Honzo. I will definitely be using a trail king in front on the honzo. I recommend these tires anytime anyone asks for front tire recommendation, they are extremely grippy and sidewalls are bulletproof - drawback is they are a bit on the heavy side. Make sure you get the UST black chili compound version

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    rear tire is personal preference, some people like a less nobby tire in the rear for better rolling, some people like less traction in the rear to get a looser ride. I personally like the feeling of railing through every turn, and the trail kings on the front and back will definitely help there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Whats the seatpost diameter on the honzo? Can't find it on the website. Just ordered mine and am getting a dropper post for it. Didn't want to wait to measure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SPENCBRINS View Post
    Whats the seatpost diameter on the honzo? Can't find it on the website. Just ordered mine and am getting a dropper post for it. Didn't want to wait to measure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nevermind, 31.6mm diameter.

mtbr member
    your LBS is accepting Orders on the Honzo Steel Frame?
    Bike~less

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NEET View Post
    your LBS is accepting Orders on the Honzo Steel Frame?
    I ordered a 2015. I like the DJ style look more for the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered a 2015. I like the DJ style look more for the frame.
    They let you order the 2015 frame only still? Did you pay the standard 525 retail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    They let you order the 2015 frame only still? Did you pay the standard 525 retail?
    I ordered a compete bike and am swapping parts out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered a compete bike and am swapping parts out.
    Oh gotcha. Yea I got the last size small frame bikeman had. I originally went to my LBS to order it and they said no more frame-only 2015 sales - so I was curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have this same combo on my Taro (2.4 Ardent on back) Minion 2.5 up front. Awesome.

mtbr member
    My Honzo really benefits from a big tire out back. I switch between DHR2, Ardent, and Ikon in the back. All of them are the biggest variety you can buy. The only tire I run up front is a 2.5 DHF. Although Onza Ibex in 2.4 look really good for a f/r matching pair. They resemble a hybrid of a DHF2 and HR2 to me but in a better size.