• 09-13-2013
    goldenaustin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish111 View Post
    The more I ride this the more I love it. Adjustable travel fork definitely helps with how 140mm of travel wanders on the steep climbs.

I've heard this quite often about the wandering front end due to long travel forks but I can't say I've noticed this or aware of what this actually means. Is it more of an issue while seated climbing and not or less noticeable while standing climbing? Can adjusting technique help out more than adjusting travel?
  • 09-13-2013
    Fish111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    I've heard this quite often about the wandering front end due to long travel forks but I can't say I've noticed this or aware of what this actually means. Is it more of an issue while seated climbing and not or less noticeable while standing climbing? Can adjusting technique help out more than adjusting travel?

I also have the Climb Trail Descend feature on the revelation, I find that it helps less than dropping down the travel. I only notice the wandering with either steep or long climbs if I get lazy, not hunched over enough over the bars when seated or not standing on short steep stuff.
  • 09-13-2013
    hjulier
    Quote:

Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I also run lower than recommended pressures 90-95+/95- even with the lower pressures I still am only getting around 20% sag. The fork still rides high and hitting smaller drops and jumps doesn't use all of its travel. I started out at 115 in each. I weigh 185 lbs and am running the fork at 140mm.

Sounds about right. The fork hesitates on big hits and square edge bumps for me.
  • 09-14-2013
    ILVMTB
    Quote:

The more I ride this the more I love it. Adjustable travel fork definitely helps with how 140mm of travel wanders on the steep climbs.

What fork are you running?
  • 09-14-2013
    Fish111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ILVMTB View Post
    What fork are you running?

2013 rock shoks revelation rct3 dual air 110-140mm
  • 09-14-2013
    superstar1
    s
    Quote:

It does not. Some folks have been using Frame Saver and others mention using automotive fogging oil.

See Post 809
    http://forums.mtbr.com/kona/honzo-bu...750534-33.html
  • 09-14-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post

To put your mind at ease, I didn't use anything. I was just answering somebody's question about the frame being internally coated and pointed out what others have done.
  • 09-14-2013
    superstar1
    Quote:

To put your mind at ease, I didn't use anything. I was just answering somebody's question about the frame being internally coated and pointed out what others have done.

It's well over the top, I've been riding steel frames all my life (I'm 53 now) and my frames have yet to disintegrate into a pile of rust.
  • 09-14-2013
    RideEverything
    The anti-nerd and beer in me has held off long enough to some of the recent questions/concerns in this thread.

As @superstar1 says your f***ing Honzo won't disintegrate into dust. Are you people trying to keep your bikes showroom perfect? Get out and ride your f***ing bikes like you stole them! You'll enjoy them way better that way!
    I've done **** all to my frame in regards to rust protection. I ride in a temperate rain forest and my Honzo has shown a very minimal amount of rust in 2 seasons. Even after serious spray washing.

As to the fork height and wandering/climbing conundrum, get the f**k over yourself. Really!
    You're complaining about a 140mm/120mm fork wandering on climbs...!
    F**k, I regularly pedal my freeride bike with a 180mm fork on sustained steep technical climbs and don't have much issue. My suggestion, learn to change your position on your bike to stop any front end "wandering". There is a reason why saddles have a rounded nose.
    When I climb my Honzo I'm f***ing blown away at how well it climbs on sustained steep trails.
    For those of you wondering or complaining about wandering front ends in regards to climbing with the Honzo you shoulda just stuck with a 90mm fork on a race XC HT bike. OR you can f***ing move forward on your saddle to keep the front end planted.

Just so you know I ride the f**k outta my Honzo in Whistler.
    Every bit of the 2000ft+ descents I do I climb my 140mm Rev with no wandering. Do you know why?.... 'cause I know how to change position on my saddle/bike when the grade of steepness changes.

/rant... for now.

On a side note I have the stock 2012 Revelation Dual Air fork and I run slightly less air pressure than listed on the fork for my weight. I run 132-135psi in the positive chamber and 20psi more in the negative chamber. I'm 245lbs and ride very aggressively on my Honzo. I bottom the fork only occasionally. And I service my fork regularly so it performs beautifully all the time.

Ahhhhh, that feels better.
    Now, gimme whatchya got.

Oh, I forgot, mountain biking is seriouzzz biznizzz.
  • 09-15-2013
    ILVMTB
    I agree, just ride your bike. Sure, messing with the bike is fun but in the end, just ride.

Next time you feel like that, RideEverything, would you please keep the language to yourself. I know several kids who read this stuff.

Thanks
  • 09-15-2013
    superstar1
    Quote:

I agree, just ride your bike. Sure, messing with the bike is fun but in the end, just ride.

Next time you feel like that, RideEverything, would you please keep the language to yourself. I know several kids who read this stuff.

Thanks

I agree, stop fecking swearing, there's fecking kids on here!!!!!!
  • 09-15-2013
    JoshM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I run 132-135psi in the positive chamber and 20psi more in the negative chamber. I'm 245lbs and ride very aggressively on my Honzo. I bottom the fork only occasionally. And I service my fork regularly so it performs beautifully all the time.

Do you find having 20psi more in the negative allows the fork to have better small bump performance? Still getting full travel?

I have basically the same fork, Revelation RLT with DNA damper. It can take some serious abuse, and I really don't notice fork flex at all.

What are you doing for fork service on a regular basis? Seals and oil?
  • 09-15-2013
    RideEverything
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Do you find having 20psi more in the negative allows the fork to have better small bump performance? Still getting full travel?

I have basically the same fork, Revelation RLT with DNA damper. It can take some serious abuse, and I really don't notice fork flex at all.

What are you doing for fork service on a regular basis? Seals and oil?

I started running only 15psi more in the negative chamber as per the manual but I found that the fork suffered in the small bump performance. I found the fork to be too stiff off the top of the stroke for how I rode. I slowly raised the pressure difference in the negative chamber until I got the feeling I wanted from the fork. That turned out to be a 20-22psi difference.
    I do get full travel and I'm running my fork at 140mm.
    It might be a void-warranty air pressure setup but the fork has been trucking along fine for the last 2 seasons.

As for flex I do notice it. I notice a decent amount of torsional flex. I notice the torsional flex most when riding tech lines where I have to change lines quickly. There is a delay from when I turn the bars to when the wheel starts to turn. And sometimes that isn't what I need in higher speed hairy sections!
    But I'm a big guy and ride quite aggressively. And, I probably... no, I do ride this fork beyond what it is classed for.
    On big hard charging descents I out ride this fork regularly. I can tell because my wrists take a beating and are crazy sore after rides like that!

For servicing my fork I don't do anything fancy. I just do the normal drop the lowers, clean and lube the seals/dust wipers, lube the foam rings and change the oil. I do that about every 2 weeks. I run the full 8ml of oil in both legs in the lowers.
    I'm a mtb coach so my bikes see a lot of mileage. I also ride all the time during my free time.
    Once you have had the feeling of a well serviced fork you become quite picky and start seriously maintaining your suspension!
    I also change the damper oil twice a season. That actually does make a big difference in how the fork performs.

I'm a fan of Rockshox forks because they are so easy to service by the home mechanic and the accompanying YouTube videos have the info to make it dead simple to work on the forks.
  • 09-15-2013
    RideEverything
    Quote:

Thanks

I just found it seriously entertaining about the wandering "issue".
    Yeah, a tall fork and a slack HA can and does lead to some front end wandering on steep climbs. However, the fork on the Honzo isn't that tall nor is the Honzo all that slack in the grand scheme of things.
    The issue can be solved by a change in position on the bike and riding technique. That is why I went on a rant. It isn't the equipment nor the geo of this bike it's the technique/position of the rider that makes the biggest difference.
    I have a pedalable freeride bike with a 65* HA with a Totem. I pedal this bike uphill regularly. I really have to make sure to shift my position forward to make climbing it manageable. I'm not looking for a hero biscuit because I can pedal this bike uphill. I just find it funny that people are worried about the Honzo's front end wandering.
    The Honzo does not wander on steep climbs unless you suck at riding a bike.

I love the tech nerdery as much as the next person in this thread and on this site.
    But sometimes the misinformation and so called issues that get discussed here are laughable!
    Could I have been more polite in my rant? Yes, but where is the fun in that. Sometimes the boat needs to rocked to liven things up.

I'm not going to apologize for my language. In fact I actually laughed out loud in real life when I read your comment about the kids!
    If I could figure out how to embed a gif sarcastically responding to that one sentence I would!
  • 09-16-2013
    superstar1
    Quote:

I just found it seriously entertaining about the wandering "issue".
    Yeah, a tall fork and a slack HA can and does lead to some front end wandering on steep climbs. However, the fork on the Honzo isn't that tall nor is the Honzo all that slack in the grand scheme of things.
    The issue can be solved by a change in position on the bike and riding technique. That is why I went on a rant. It isn't the equipment nor the geo of this bike it's the technique/position of the rider that makes the biggest difference.
    I have a pedalable freeride bike with a 65* HA with a Totem. I pedal this bike uphill regularly. I really have to make sure to shift my position forward to make climbing it manageable. I'm not looking for a hero biscuit because I can pedal this bike uphill. I just find it funny that people are worried about the Honzo's front end wandering.
    The Honzo does not wander on steep climbs unless you suck at riding a bike.

I love the tech nerdery as much as the next person in this thread and on this site.
    But sometimes the misinformation and so called issues that get discussed here are laughable!
    Could I have been more polite in my rant? Yes, but where is the fun in that. Sometimes the boat needs to rocked to liven things up.

I'm not going to apologize for my language. In fact I actually laughed out loud in real life when I read your comment about the kids!
    If I could figure out how to embed a gif sarcastically responding to that one sentence I would!

:):):):)
  • 09-16-2013
    JoshM
    Quote:

I started running only 15psi more in the negative chamber as per the manual but I found that the fork suffered in the small bump performance. I found the fork to be too stiff off the top of the stroke for how I rode.

That's my biggest beef with the fork. I have to jack the negative pressure to get the fork to run how I like it. My wrists and hands do hurt after a ride with a ton of big roots and harder hits as well.
    I've got rebound(dual flow) and compression adjust. It's also got the threshold lockout feature but I never use it.

I'm pretty sure the rebound and compression adjustment are slow speed only... but I am no expert.

I've got about 9 clicks from fast on rebound and 1 click of compression adjust.

Have you thought about upgrading the fork on the bike? I often wonder if a Fox 34 or new pike would be a worthwhile investment on an agressive HT like a Honzo or Yelli screamy. I've heard the new 2014 fox stuff is better than the CTD from years past, and have heard all positive reviews on the new pike damper.
  • 09-16-2013
    Realslowww
    Somebody recommended I build one of these Konas, I am 6 foot 4 and real long legged and 285. Any help would be great. I need to go forward for what I do and do not know what to buy. I just ride my bike all over town and make my own trail and take short cuts and jump curbs and stairs and steps.

I do not trust the frame to jump, being 285 do I need a custom? These bikes look nice a person told me they were real stable for high speed going down stairs n stuff? and real tough frame for a large person? any input would be great, thanks for any help.

I am a sit down masher and blast at top speed type rider, what I am riding now works good but I think I can do better.

Somehow this post did not turn out right in it's order, anyhow thanks if you can understand it.

I have a 23 inch RH 26 with Sun 29 MTX 33's and 40 CM tires and Hope Pro 2 Hubs. I like it but want something lower and better to jump and go up and down steps.
  • 09-16-2013
    goldenaustin
    Quote:

That's my biggest beef with the fork. I have to jack the negative pressure to get the fork to run how I like it. My wrists and hands do hurt after a ride with a ton of big roots and harder hits as well.
    I've got rebound(dual flow) and compression adjust. It's also got the threshold lockout feature but I never use it.

I'm pretty sure the rebound and compression adjustment are slow speed only... but I am no expert.

I've got about 9 clicks from fast on rebound and 1 click of compression adjust.

Have you thought about upgrading the fork on the bike? I often wonder if a Fox 34 or new pike would be a worthwhile investment on an agressive HT like a Honzo or Yelli screamy. I've heard the new 2014 fox stuff is better than the CTD from years past, and have heard all positive reviews on the new pike damper.

Haha, and I thought it was "upgraditis" that was hurting my hands and wrists, and not how my Revelation pos/neg pressures were set up. I'd also like to hear back from those who have gone from a Rev to a Pike or '14 Fox 34.
  • 09-17-2013
    ILVMTB
    I think bikes like this:Tested: Scott Genius LT 27.5 - Pinkbike are the product of such climbing wimps. According to PB it climbs terrifically but whats the point if it sucks going DH (which it does)
  • 09-17-2013
    RideEverything
    Quote:

As far as I know, most of the time, when there is one adjustment it is slow speed. I'm not a 100% but that is how it feels and what I've read.

I have thought about upgrading but I'll ride the Rev into the ground before I drop the cash on a new fork. Yes, there are better products out there but the Rev does the job and it does it reasonably well.
    The new Pike does sound very good. I was looking at the Fox34 but the ease of servicing Rockshox forks at home has me leaning towards the Pike.
  • 09-22-2013
    carabao
  • 09-22-2013
    sheranian
    2 Attachment(s)
    Well it's been a long time but I finally found the time to get it built. I fired up to get out and ride it! Here are the specs....hopefully it will hold up to my clyde status of 6'5" 275

Frame: 20L
    Wheels: Flow laced to Hadley 36h front and rear
    Tires: Specialized Ground Control 2.3
    Drivetrain:Saint short cage rear derailluer... Ispec Saint Shifter
    Fork: Fox Float 34 140
    Stem/Bars: Easton Havoc 35mm stem and Carbon Havoc Bars
    Headset: Cane Creek
    BB: Hope
    Cranks: AKA
    Front Ring: 28t MRP Bling Ring
    Guard: MRP Micro G2
    Brakes: Zee with Ice Rotors 203 front , 180 rear
    Seatpost: Thompson
    Saddle: Charge Spoon
    Seatpost Clamp: Chromag
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Chain: KMC TI
    Grips: ODI Rogue
  • 09-22-2013
    dfuse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carabao View Post

I thought I was gonna see some shreddin when I saw a youtube link :(

Zee derailleur ftw! I also run one, with a wolftooth upfront and no chain guide. Crispy shifting and silent rides!
  • 09-22-2013
    axel__l
    Please let me know what size is the FRAME?
    Quote:

New 2014 frame ready for build

• 09-22-2013
    verrocchio100
    Hate to bump up an old thread, but for a 5'9 30" inseam would you fellas recommend a 16 or 18" Honzo?

Thx!
  • 09-22-2013
    stick-boy1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Aboard my 2013 Honzo.

Attachment 833958

Recently upgraded drivetrain:
    30T Wolftooth Components Chainring
    Sram X9 Shifter with Shimano Zee 10spd Derailler
    Shimano 12-36 Cassette

Love this ride!
  • 09-22-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Love it! Any change between the Renthal bar and your old Raceface Atlas Stealth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Well it's been a long time but I finally found the time to get it built.

Nice build, have you played around with the spacers below the stem? When I had the Fox 34 Talas at 140 initially when I built the bike, I had a tall CC40 upper cup and like 20 mm worth of spacers, it was very awkward at first. I couldn't weigh down the front enough, and when I ditched the 34 Talas for a 34 Float I slammed the stem with only a 2.5mm spacer and it was much better until finally settling at 10mm of spacers and a short CC40 upper cup. Play around with it, you might be surprised with the findings.
  • 09-22-2013
    RideEverything
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    Aboard my 2013 Honzo.
    Attachment 833958

Is that at Hartland, The Dump?
  • 09-22-2013
    carabao
    [QUOTE=eurospek;10696582]Love it! Any change between the Renthal bar and your old Raceface Atlas Stealth?

Stiffness is the same, but I like the 2 degree difference in backsweep because it equates to 5+ mm larger cockpit.
  • 09-23-2013
    stick-boy1
    The Abyss in Nanaimo
  • 09-23-2013
    dfuse
    very nice pic!

Quote:

Aboard my 2013 Honzo.

Attachment 833958

Shimano 12-36 Cassette

Love this ride!

• 09-23-2013
    Fish111
    Quote:

Aboard my 2013 Honzo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]833958[/ATTACH
    Shimano 12-36 Cassette

Love this ride!

Kev you poser!!! HAHAHA
  • 09-24-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

Originally Posted by verrocchio100 View Post
    Hate to bump up an old thread, but for a 5'9 30" inseam would you fellas recommend a 16 or 18" Honzo?

Thx!

FWIW, I am 5'9" with a 30" pants inseam and bought a small (16"). The new frame measures 15" for the seat tube but all other geo is the same as the 2012 for a small. I test rode both a 2013 16" and 18" at felt comfortable on both sizes. The 16" had more attributes I was after. If you have read the whole thread us 5'9" guys use either a 16" or an 18". Hopefully the subjective answer helps you.
  • 09-24-2013
    playdead
    I'm 5'9" and love the 16". Much more flickable
  • 09-25-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    yes, the 18" feels like a boat compared to the 16". my buddy bought an 18 after test-riding my 16. can't say i liked the way it rode in comparison.
  • 09-27-2013
    flatlandersk
    1 Attachment(s)
    My build is coming...
    I fell in love with the frame when it was first released but I had already bought a bike. Recently, I decided that maybe 29er were not for me and I sold my Intense Spider 29 frame. I decided I was going to build a 650b trailbike with some of the parts from the Intense but that project ate up funds quickly. I was out of cash and sick of riding ss or fatbikes all the time so I found a Honzo at a good price to build up until I can get the funds together for the 650b bike. I am just waiting on a few more parts to arrive but I did get my frame.

I'll post again next week with the results.

Attachment 835148

Can't wait!
  • 10-02-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    Upgraditis has struck! I'm in the process of making a new front wheel and re-spoking the rear on my honzo. The orange Chris King rear hub stays. The kinda flaky Marzocchi QR20 knock-off front hub and hand-me-down Flow rim are going to get mothballed, replaced with an NOS NSB hub on a Flow EX laced with 14-15-13 DT Alpine iii spokes. Same rim/spoke combo for the rear rebuild too (I got the box of spokes).

While the wheel is off, I'm doing a dropout experiment. I'm going to cut some raised sliders to see if a scosch more bb height is any good.

It's time to re-seal the Rev too! Gotta get some more 5w suspension oil first though. Thinking of going with Redline if I can find some.

Oh, and new grips.
  • 10-07-2013
    flatlandersk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Update
    Still no final build but I did get out on her first trail ride yesterday with a mish mash of parts. 28T Wolftooth no drop with X9 crankset and X0 NON clutched der absolutely ruled. So quiet!!! No chain slap and no drops as advertised. We have valleys to ride here so we are usually either climbing or descending, both at decent pitches. 28T front, 36T back was perfect. I was worried about the slacker head angle but I made it up really steep pitches that I have had problems with in the past. It definitely is the only 29er I have ridden that feels quite 26'ish.

Attachment 837480
  • 10-09-2013
    flatlandersk
    First night ride last night and now I understand the "low bb peadal strikes". In the day time with clipless I had no issues but in the dark with flats I definitely smacked the pedals a bunch of times. Still a super fun ride and the 35mm stem really refined the handling for me.
  • 10-09-2013
    eurospek
    What 35mm stem you using?
  • 10-09-2013
    flatlandersk
    4 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What 35mm stem you using?

The KORE Repute. The price was right and it's a good looking stem actually. Sorry I was too lazy to unlock the bike and bring it down to take pics. I'll get some good ones once my final build is complete.

Attachment 838015Attachment 838016Attachment 838017Attachment 838018

There are some nice pics of it in this review: Review: Kore Repute Stem, Mega Bars & Ikon Grips | Factory Jackson

It's super light but still looks burly. So easy to pop up the front now and thanks to the long top tube and the seat angle of the Honzo, I'm climbing as well as I ever have.
  • 10-10-2013
    carabao
    Keepin' it Kona
    The Honzo is the best hardtail in the world in my opinion, but today I rode the best bike I have ever ridden. Having never owned a dual suspension I knew it was going to be different, but damn, this bike is amazing. I started this thread a couple years ago because of my enthusiasm for the Honzo, and I'm feeling the same way about my new bike, a Kona Process 153 DL. It. Just. Rips. For the first time in my life I own two bikes, but I may be parting out/selling the Honzo...we'll see. Here are some pics from it's maiden voyage.

Instagram

Instagram
  • 10-10-2013
    mathoss
    Instagram

Instagram

Lolll kona really got it with the colors!
    But in the pictures... The water bottle is... Too much!
  • 10-10-2013
    carabao
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mathoss View Post
    Instagram

Instagram

Lolll kona really got it with the colors!
    But in the pictures... The water bottle is... Too much!

Not worried about fashion. I even wear a hip pack water bottle holder. One on the frame and another on the hip pack is all I need, no hydration pack or sweaty back.
  • 10-10-2013
    r1Gel
    Quote:

The Honzo is the best hardtail in the world in my opinion, but today I rode the best bike I have ever ridden. Having never owned a dual suspension I knew it was going to be different, but damn, this bike is amazing. I started this thread a couple years ago because of my enthusiasm for the Honzo, and I'm feeling the same way about my new bike, a Kona Process 153 DL. It. Just. Rips. For the first time in my life I own two bikes, but I may be parting out/selling the Honzo...we'll see. Here are some pics from it's maiden voyage.

Instagram

Instagram

Very cool. Congrats on the new ride! :thumbsup:
  • 10-10-2013
    eurospek
    Love it the new Process line. Any reason why you didn't get the 111? Is 650b king? :D
  • 10-10-2013
    carabao
    Thanks guys! Euro, I looked at the 111, but I just felt like trying 650b. I rode both and the 111 really felt like my Honzo, which it was based on, only with less travel, rear sus., and a steeper head angle. I chose the 153 for the 66.5 head angle and Pike and because I want it for gnarlier terrain. It's a very stout bike and comes with a terrific build. Even the wheels are great, love the cockpit and brakes.
  • 10-11-2013
    flatlandersk
    Quote:

Thanks guys! Euro, I looked at the 111, but I just felt like trying 650b. I rode both and the 111 really felt like my Honzo, which it was based on, only with less travel, rear sus., and a steeper head angle. I chose the 153 for the 66.5 head angle and Pike and because I want it for gnarlier terrain. It's a very stout bike and comes with a terrific build. Even the wheels are great, love the cockpit and brakes.

I've been shopping for a 650b trailbike for the last few months. Sold my Spider 29 frame and started buying 650b parts (I also sold a Steely to your brother) - the money ran out so I scooped the Honzo and tossed my parts on it. The Honzo was supposed to be temporary but I've fallen in love with it. I will be keeping it in the quiver.

I've been bugging my LBS for a process 153 frame only but nothing available yet. I started thinking I would buy complete to save some cash and then I have been comparing prices. Kona wants a lot for the DL!!! Price is not far off from some carbon bikes. I am still undecided, but I am considering the Process 153, the 134, the Bronson and the Tracer. I'll be interested to see what your take is on the Process. I'm sure the bike is great but it seems like some bike companies like Norco and Kona have a 650b markup just because it's hot right not. If you look at the Giant lineup you get better compoments for less money... I hate Giant though!

Anyways, love your bike - keep posting updates.
  • 10-11-2013
    flatlandersk
    oops
  • 10-11-2013
    flatlandersk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Love it the new Process line. Any reason why you didn't get the 111? Is 650b king? :D

As nimble as the Honzo feels for a 29er it still doesn't handle like a 26er. That's my main reason for trying out a 650b.