Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,200 of 4330
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    I should probably qualify it a little more.
    I've been riding my SB-66c pretty much exclusively since September last year, and that's running a Vorsprung Can on a Float X and 160mm Pikes on it. That is a slack, low and long bike to say the least, and probably too a large bike for where I live and most of the riding I do. It's mainly loose rocks and pinch climbs out here, nothing that you slog out or can't get out of the way quickly with a decent out of the saddle effort.

Given how low slung the Honzo is, I didn't think BB level was going to be too much of a problem, and I was under the impression the reduced trail from a 51mm offset made the steering feel faster (give the same HA).

I've ridden a mates Kona Explosif with a 120mm Revelation on it, and that was a great feeling bike out here. I'm guessing the 120mm is probably a more balanced and appropriate travel setting, especially given the larger wheels. But there are a few options to go with, and prices vary on the Pikes depending. Curious to know if the longer travel and Larger offset feels comparable to the smaller offset and shorter.

Cheers for the responses guys.
    120 or 130mm RS air shafts can be had for only $35 online. If you liked the Explosif with 120 Rev you are going to like the Honzo with 120 Pike just as well, if not better I think. I had a Yeti 66 as well with 160 Lyrik up front until I broke it 3 times the first year and eventually sold it for a Banshee Rune V2, broke it and been happy on a Bronson for a year now with no probs other than a couple of pivot bearing changes so far. I am stoked to have the Honzo as my go-to trail thrasher and doubt I will break it as well.
    Ride On!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    He's since got a 130mm Pike on it and loves it as that.

I can only find Bikeman that do the Pike airshafts, they're a little harder to get a hold of in Australia.
    That said, the options are currently:
    - 140mm, 46mm offset for $693AUD
    - 140mm, 51mm offset for $781AUD
    - 120mm, 51mm offset for $774AUD

I'll dig around a little more and find out how people find it going to the larger offset. Cheers for the responses guys, i'll be sure to post in here when my build starts.

mtbr member
    I should probably qualify it a little more.
    I've been riding my SB-66c pretty much exclusively since September last year, and that's running a Vorsprung Can on a Float X and 160mm Pikes on it. That is a slack, low and long bike to say the least, and probably too a large bike for where I live and most of the riding I do. It's mainly loose rocks and pinch climbs out here, nothing that you slog out or can't get out of the way quickly with a decent out of the saddle effort.

Given how low slung the Honzo is, I didn't think BB level was going to be too much of a problem, and I was under the impression the reduced trail from a 51mm offset made the steering feel faster (give the same HA).

I've ridden a mates Kona Explosif with a 120mm Revelation on it, and that was a great feeling bike out here. I'm guessing the 120mm is probably a more balanced and appropriate travel setting, especially given the larger wheels. But there are a few options to go with, and prices vary on the Pikes depending. Curious to know if the longer travel and Larger offset feels comparable to the smaller offset and shorter.

Cheers for the responses guys.
    Based on your pricing available to you, I would get the 140 Pike 46mm offset and run it like that until you can get an air shaft if 140 doesn't feel ideal for you. I believe the 51mm offset lengthens the wheelbase and rakes the front end more which I think would feel pretty lousy with bigger fork than what Kona specked it as.
    Ride On!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    It will lengthen the wheelbase slightly, but it's about moving the contact patch of the wheel closer the steering axis. That's why the larger offset makes the steering feel lighter. As you can see, the trail in the two bikes is almost identical (91.37mm vs 90.73mm).
    The numbers suggest that they should feel pretty similar, if not livelier with 140mm/51mm due to the smaller trail, which is why I wanted to ask. The Honzo's can take a big fork just fine, just curious as to if anyone else has gone a similar route and what the ACTUAL feel is compared to what the numbers suggest...they can only say so much.

Here is a photo I took of the calculations. (I assumed tyre sizes being a decent volume 68-622 and that the HA of a 140mm fork would be 67°).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @Zaf: I run a Fox 34 140 w/ 51mm offset, and I dig it gregariously. [I also prefer Trek's G2 offset on most of my other bikes, so it's my preference. I've also never run a 46 on the honzo.] Plenty of steep punches, good many 2k climbs, and their payoff descents: feels great. I also prefer the bike singlespeed.

I notice the bike's wheelbase (and other 29ers similarly) only when jumping between it and a 26 or 27.5 -- the shorter wheelbase climbs a bit better, of course. I don't think the slight changes in fork offset & travel would improve climbing noticeably, on this bike. It climbs great as it is; just keep your stem slammed.
    Last edited by Collins; 04-14-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Norđwegr
    51mm and 140mm worked great on my Honzo, wouldn't have had it any other way!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Got all my baskets sitting there and got paid. So Super keen to buy the bike, Aussie dollar is hurting at the moment though. I might just bite the bullet and order it tonight.
    I've been able to keep my costs down because I've already got a solid wheelset and nice set of cranks (and BB), as well as some brand new XT running kit lying about.

Planned build is the following.

Kona Honzo 2015 Large

Wheels: Hope Pro 2 EVO, Stans Flow EX
    Forks: RockShox Pike 140mm, 51mm offset
    Crankset: E*Thirteen TRS+ 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: E*Thirteen
    Brakes: Shimano ZEE 180/160
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series
    Shifter: Shimano Saint M820
    Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow+
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Stem: Race Face Atlas 35mm x 50mm
    Handlebars: Race Face Atlas 35mm x 800mm
    Saddle: Charge Spoon
    Tyres: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 EXO, TR, 3C
    Seatpost: A borrow from a mate, I'll buy a dropper for it when I sell my Superfly.

I live in central Australia btw, and the surface out here is loose on dry hardpack with a sandy makeup to it, and then shale rocks everywhere. No tyres really work traction wise, everything slips and slides. I do run more aggressive rubber, but it's generally more for the protection than traction out here, because NOTHING works traction wise. Can't find Ardent 2.4's in stock anywhere for a reasonable price at the moment, can buy Ikons cheap though. I can always pick up something a little more aggressive later on, and Ikons make a very solid drive tyre out here...although they do let go a little bit more suddenly when they begin to slip.

Anyway, end of rant, I'll likely order the bike up tonight and then play the month long waiting game of waiting for everything to drizzle in from across the many drinks I'm ordering parts from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5729.jpg

2015 Kona Honzo. I had a 2013 Honzo but wanted a lower standover. Didn't think it would ride much different because the geo is the same, but it rides even better than the 2013!

Pike 140 with 51mm offset
    Easton Havoc 35mm stem
    Renthal Fat Bars 780mm
    Iodine wheelset with 23mm internal width
    Reverb seatpost
    Chromag trailmaster limited seat
    SLX cranks with Hawk BB
    XT brakes
    Ardents 2.4 front & rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5728.jpg  

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The start of my build:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg

Can't wait!
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dsc_0108sm.jpg

140mm Pike RTC, Nukeproof Zero 35mm stem, 200 and 180 rotors front/rear, Reverb. Maxxis 2.3 Shorty up front, other than that it's stock for now, although I have a Zee shifter/rear mech and Superstar 42t expander to fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Orca View Post
    Your gonna like my new NOX decals eurospek...
    I want to build a 2015 frameset now. Right after the OG Blue, this has to be the best color next.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I want to build a 2015 frameset now. Right after the OG Blue, this has to be the best color next.
    NOX color matched decals. Before the SS conversion...more coming up. Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150409_211001_1.jpg

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo1.jpg

Probably as it will remain for now:

Large frame
    WTB KOM rims laced to Hope on back; Novatec on front
    Ardent rear and Minion DHF (seem to compliment each other well)
    X1 Cassette
    XTR 9000 R Der and Shifter
    XTR "Trail" brakes
    RF Turbine Crank/XT Pedals
    LEV Integra post
    WTB Volt seat
    RF SixC bars
    Chromag Ranger stem
    Ergon grips (not sure I can live with these, though)
    X-Fusion Trace fork (had *just* enough steering stem)

Loving it so far.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm moving to a Process 111 and will have my 2013 Medium Honzo (frame, fork, and most of the stock components) available for sale in the next week or so.

I purchased this bike new one year ago (May 2014) and put about 500 miles on it in NC singletrack. It's extremely well maintained, never been crashed, and has no dents or significant scratches, other than a few nicks around the bottom bracket from rocks,etc. It does have a very little bit of rusting at the gusset seam on the top tube (which this 2013 frame is prone to do). I talked to Kona about this last August and they offered a complementary powder coating, but I decided against it because I didn't want to be bikeless for weeks.

Otherwise, It's in excellent condition - 9/10, IMO.

My favorite bike ever... I will sell as frame, frame/fork, or as a complete (stock) bike. Pass the word. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Equality 7-2521; 04-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm patiently waiting for someone to run one green and one blue grip on the 2015 frameset. That's what I would do.

IMGP7705 by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

With a Revelation at 120mm and 51mm offset, feels nice so far.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Moved from an XC frame to this.

New build as of last night. Hope to get a ride in on it today.Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-new-kona-honzo-builld-thanks-aaron.jpg

mtbr member
    Started season #3 on my beloved Honzo. From yesterday's ride at Kettle Moraine South. Still stoked on the ride, but I'm definitey itching for a FS suspension bike something like the Process 111 or Banshee Phantom. I'm getting too soft for a hardtail these days lol. But knowing myself, nothing will change this season unless a used frame pops up in my size (highly unlikely). And I'm desperately trying to isolate a creak that occurs at random times when pedaling, no matter how hard, uphill or not. It's not the seatpost/saddle either as it happens out of the seat too. Already replaced the Saint bottom bracket with a new one, new chainring bolts, and just yesterday greased up the rear Maxle quite a bit, it was lightly greased before. I've been dealing with this creak since last season but it has come back with a vengeance this year.

Last edited by eurospek; 04-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    konahonzo

Norđwegr
    Started season #3 on my beloved Honzo. From yesterday's ride at Kettle Moraine South. Still stoked on the ride, but I'm definitey itching for a FS suspension bike something like the Process 111 or Banshee Phantom. I'm getting too soft for a hardtail these days lol. But knowing myself, nothing will change this season unless a used frame pops up in my size (highly unlikely). And I'm desperately trying to isolate a creak that occurs at random times when pedaling, no matter how hard, uphill or not. It's not the seatpost/saddle either as it happens out of the seat too. Already replaced the Saint bottom bracket with a new one, new chainring bolts, and just yesterday greased up the rear Maxle quite a bit, it was lightly greased before. I've been dealing with this creak since last season but it has come back with a vengeance this year.

I had a mystery creak on mine too, turned out greasing the maxle and the sliding dropouts solved it.

PS_ I think you fell victim to the wrong link, I've never had that kind of creak on my Honzo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I had a mystery creak on mine too, turned out greasing the maxle and the sliding dropouts solved it.

PS_ I think you fell victim to the wrong link, I've never had that kind of creak on my Honzo.
    Thanks, I reuploaded the pic, should work now.

The sliding dropouts are next on the list of things to clean and regrease if the creaking is there on the next ride. It's not the derailleur hanger as I had the derailleur off this winter. Trying to isolate one thing at a time.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks, I reuploaded the pic, should work now.

The sliding dropouts are next on the list of things to clean and regrease if the creaking is there on the next ride. It's not the derailleur hanger as I had the derailleur off this winter. Trying to isolate one thing at a time.
    My Crank Bros. candy pedals were the cause of a creak a while back. re-greased the axle and bushing and the creak went away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-Daddy View Post
    My Crank Bros. candy pedals were the cause of a creak a while back. re-greased the axle and bushing and the creak went away.
    Not that either. Last year switched to flats to isolate the pedals. This year I'm on a new pair of XT Trail SPDs and still creaking persists. I have a feeling it's coming from the back and not the crank area.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 2015 Honzo

Large 15' Honzo that I have happily been on for past +4 months

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg

Pike RCT3 120 fork
    Spank 295/Sapim Race wheels w/DT 350 hubs
    Ardent 2.4 EXO/TR tires
    Kore OCD 780 bars
    Kore Torsion 35 stem
    KS LEV Ti 150 post
    Chromag TM saddle
    Zee brakes 180/160 CL
    Zee RD/shifter
    XT 11-36 cassette
    RF Evolve cranks w/30t NW ring
    CB Mallet 3 pedals

Weight= 30 lbs
    Last edited by jgusta; 04-25-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not that either. Last year switched to flats to isolate the pedals. This year I'm on a new pair of XT Trail SPDs and still creaking persists. I have a feeling it's coming from the back and not the crank area.
    I also had a derailleur hanger creak, but it was a bolt on type on a different bike. It appears on my new, to me, 2013 Honzo frame the hanger is part of the sliding drop-outs so it would not creak in the same place as my old hanger. Could it be a hub?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gday, Wondering if any other Honzo owners have switched from Avid to Shimano brakes?I've had enough of the unreliable Elixir 5 brakes on my 2013 Honzo. Im wanting to change to SLX brakes.
    Can I use the Avid rotors with the SLX calipers. Will the SLX calipers mount onto the Avid adaptors.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by megsy View Post
    Gday, Wondering if any other Honzo owners have switched from Avid to Shimano brakes?I've had enough of the unreliable Elixir 5 brakes on my 2013 Honzo. Im wanting to change to SLX brakes.
    Can I use the Avid rotors with the SLX calipers. Will the SLX calipers mount onto the Avid adaptors.

Cheers
    I moved to XT's and the difference was very noticeable. If you watch ebay for a week or so, you can snag a full set of XT M785's for ~$175 shipped.

Both the Avid Rotors and the stock post adaptors from my 2013 worked with the XT's.

mtbr member
    May 2014

I fought a similar creak for weeks. After isolating several parts (pedals, chainrings, cranks) I finally realized it was the rear axle. My 2013 has a tendency for the rear maxle to loosen, and every time I started to hear the creak this was the case. Might be something to add to your troubleshooting checklist.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run SLX brakes with Avid rotors and it works great. The only thing you might have to do is add a 2.5 to 5mm spacer under the caliper as some of the Avid rotors are 165's, not 160's. This only applies if you are running this small of a rotor size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for your help Equality and MTB-Daddy! I got my 13 Honzo as complete bike, so it has the standard 180mm and 160mm Avid rotors.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for the stock FSA Comet crankset from a 2013 Honzo. If anyone has one they're looking to sell, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Honzo '15 upgrades

The Honzo continues to impress. Rode it this weekend on some rocky Connecticut trails and having those short chain stays really helps in the slow and awkward stuff.

Planned upgrades this year are two fold- an XT 11 speed drivetrain and wider rims.

I'd like the peanut gallery's opinion on wider rims on the Honzo. Assume I'll end up with Nobby Nics (the new design looks great) 2.35 front and rear.

My gut is to go with Easton's new ARC hoops - 30mm front and 27mm rear. Or do I go even bigger? Coming off of KOM i23's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    The Honzo continues to impress. Rode it this weekend on some rocky Connecticut trails and having those short chain stays really helps in the slow and awkward stuff.

Planned upgrades this year are two fold- an XT 11 speed drivetrain and wider rims.

I'd like the peanut gallery's opinion on wider rims on the Honzo. Assume I'll end up with Nobby Nics (the new design looks great) 2.35 front and rear.

My gut is to go with Easton's new ARC hoops - 30mm front and 27mm rear. Or do I go even bigger? Coming off of KOM i23's.
    My Honzo loves my Nox Farlows. Internal 29mm.

I had issues with the NN in the rear this winter. Tire roll even with high pressures.

Ardent 2.4 is better at lower pressures than NN 2.35. HD 2.35 is awesome as a front. Ikon 2.35 is also nice as a rear, but only have like 35 miles on that tire as a rear...
    Last edited by TheOrca; 04-27-2015 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Noted. I actually have a Dampf in the front right now- and love it - no reason to change it I suppose!

I have the Ikon 2.35's on my Unit, and for light mountain biking and riding around Brooklyn they are awesome. I could see doing a 2.4 Ardent (thankfully available in tubeless) and Ikon combo on the Honzo.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Orca View Post
    My Honzo loves my Nox Farlows. Internal 29mm.

I had issues with the NN in the rear this winter. Tire roll even with high pressures.

Ardent 2.4 is better at lower pressures than NN 2.35. HD 2.35 is awesome as a front. Ikon 2.35 is also nice, but only have like 35 miles on that tire as a rear...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Noted. I actually have a Dampf in the front right now- and love it - no reason to change it I suppose!

I have the Ikon 2.35's on my Unit, and for light mountain biking and riding around Brooklyn they are awesome. I could see doing a 2.4 Ardent (thankfully available in tubeless) and Ikon combo on the Honzo.

Thanks for your input.
    You're welcome. The HD 2.35 front / Ardent 2.4 rear was a great winter setup. Summer hardpack is here though and the Orca is now SS, so I've swapped to faster Ardent 2.4 front / Ikon 2.35 rear setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post
    I fought a similar creak for weeks. After isolating several parts (pedals, chainrings, cranks) I finally realized it was the rear axle. My 2013 has a tendency for the rear maxle to loosen, and every time I started to hear the creak this was the case. Might be something to add to your troubleshooting checklist.
    Still creaking, but much less than before. Removing and greasing the dropouts is next before the weekend.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Following this, my 2013 frame also has a severe creak. I already serviced my pedals, no difference so far.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Parts are starting to roll in for my build.

Last edited by Zaf; 04-28-2015 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Exciting times! Looking forward to seeing your build, I still think 2013 is the best looking frame (probably because that's mine ) but the new black is starting to grow on me too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @Euro -- you know those dropouts will creak on ye. Chase every bit of dirt out of the bolt threads and cup nuts, etc. and use some good PM600 grease in there. Especially if running SS. I just did exactly that spring cleaning and hit a little ride at Wawayanda State Park last weekend, and was glad to hear the little creeping creaks silenced.

--A bunch of great punchy/rocky trails up there BTW: hit em if you can, but be sure to have a guide of some kind.

Norđwegr
    How much are the 2k15 frames new? I'm thinking I might get one to compliment my Atlas, it's coming full circle I guess since I just recently sold my 2k13.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @Euro -- you know those dropouts will creak on ye. Chase every bit of dirt out of the bolt threads and cup nuts, etc. and use some good PM600 grease in there. Especially if running SS. I just did exactly that spring cleaning and hit a little ride at Wawayanda State Park last weekend, and was glad to hear the little creeping creaks silenced.

--A bunch of great punchy/rocky trails up there BTW: hit em if you can, but be sure to have a guide of some kind.
    Will do. It only creaked once yesterday. Going to watch it some more before cleaning and tearing it apart, just so much work lol. And I did quiet down my drivetrain quite a bit as well. I'm still OG running a 9-speed Saint SS derailleur and 32T non-NW chainring and the MRP Lopes guide has always made noise. Ended up covering the upper guide with fuzzy velcro on the inside and it's super quiet now. I have the urge to upgrade to a 10-spd with clutch and NW ring but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    How much are the 2k15 frames new? I'm thinking I might get one to compliment my Atlas, it's coming full circle I guess since I just recently sold my 2k13.
    Bikeman.com lists them for $524 IIRC.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Hi eurospek
    You can try only upgrading to the n/w chainring and keep the derailleur. I'm running a race face n/w with a non-clutch derailleur since a year without a single dropped chain. Granted, my entire drivetrain is the same age...so maybe you want to slap on a new chain as well.
    Bye

Zaf
    mtbr member

Is this the chain ring clearance you guys are getting on a 32t?

Ignore that, I forgot the drive side spacer for the XCX BB

Great clearance. That's a 2.35 Ikon, and slammed stays. So much room with the 2015.
    Waiting for the fork and breaks to arrive.
    Last edited by Zaf; 04-30-2015 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Is it wrong of me checking for cracks on my 2012 to get a 2015 warranty replacement?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is it wrong of me checking for cracks on my 2012 to get a 2015 warranty replacement?
    Nothing wrong with productive consumerism. I launched a big kicker to flat yesterday, and for a few seconds thought I broke my chainstay on the landing. Had brief visions of the 2015 with abovementioned rear tire clearance... Ends up I stripped and bent my crank spindle. Glad I still dig my 2012.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow! That says a lot about the frame to have broken a crank first.

Norđwegr
    When I crashed my first 2k13 everything but the frame broke :P
    Riding my Atlas the same way I did my Honzo actually works great, I'm surprised by this frame.

The best parts from my Honzo and CFR Scalpel became this:
    Last edited by Vegard; 05-02-2015 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just to check: Anyone know the frame weight for a medium 2015?

And for ya'll inclined that way, the new Canfield EPO is bananas, and more than 4 pounds lighter than my 2012. I usually don't care much about weight, but racing on a Honzo-like frame (instead of my Superfly, which is also great) would be an awesome option to have.

Zaf
    mtbr member

So she's built up, parts arrived tonight. Waiting for a dropper post to arrive, LA t a reverb on the way. Also bought some new X01 cranks for my Yeti, so I might throw my XX1 cranks (beaten to hell) on the Honzo.

As she stands:

Forks: - Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm 51mm offset
    Headset: - Cane Creek 40 series ZS44/56
    Cockpit: - Race Face Atlas 35mm diameter. 50mm length, 800mm width
    Wheels: - Hope Pro 2 EVO laced to Stans Flow EX
    Tyres: - Maxxis Ikon 2.35 EXO 3C TR / Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 EXO TR
    Cranks: - e*thirteen TRS+ 170mm
    BB: - e*thirteen XCX+
    Brakes: - Shimano Zee 180/180mm
    Shifter: - Shimano M820 Saint
    Derailleur: - Shimano M785 XT medium cage

First ride tomorrow, just a Bontrager seatpost and Fizik saddle at the moment, will go to my charge saddle when my dropper arrives.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Honzo Plus Size

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf0014.jpg

My 2015 (chubby) Honzo. Just built up WTB Scraper rims (45MM internal width) with Trail Blazer 27.5+ tires. Room to spare with 2015 frame. Haven't rode it yet but expect it to be tons of fun!

mtbr member
    Nice! It definitely looked like my 2015 would be able to fit the Trailblazer in the back, but its nice to actually see it.

Is that a 29er fork?
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

Zaf
    mtbr member

Riding her in.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbmx View Post
    My 2015 (chubby) Honzo. Just built up WTB Scraper rims (45MM internal width) with Trail Blazer 27.5+ tires. Room to spare with 2015 frame. Haven't rode it yet but expect it to be tons of fun!
    Very nice
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Very cool!

Any pictures of clearance in the rear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, it is a Pike 29er (140MM) fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It has about 1/8 inch clearance between the tires and chain stay on both sides with the scraper/trailblazer combo. I will take some pictures showing the clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Getting my ducks in a row in regards to purchasing an 11 speed drivetrain.

I'm inclined to wait for Shimano XT's 11 speed group to start shipping.

Going to SRAM means getting a new rear hub that can support an XD driver body, building a wheel around that, etc. That hub would most likely be 142 in spacing.

I'm sure I'd appreciate the through-axle in the rear from a design standpoint, but I can't say I'm wishing for more stiffness in the rear of my hardtail! Any benefits I'm not thinking of with 142? I'd rather pocket the 200 bucks needed for a new hub and get some wider rims. And I've had the best of luck with every Shimano item I have ever purchased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    + Save up for wider rims. If you're finding you really need that extra low gear, you could go with a 42 cog. (Or try riding ss for a couple weeks and see what happens -- you might dig it.)

BTW, I went from q/r to 142 thru and can tell a difference in stiffness, though it is pretty small. The real benefit to me is being able to easily swap the end caps on my Hope hubs, so I can move that favorite wheelset over to my race bike that still uses q/r.

mtbr member
    So I've been off my bike for 2 weeks now due to a bad crash recently (worst one yet) and finally tore apart the rear end last night. There was some dirt accumulation between the sliders and dropouts, cleaned everything, greased everything and tighten down the 4 bolts quite tight. Also noticed that it was maybe the Maxle too as I was able to get 1/8 more of a turn than usual as judging by where the cutout for the lever wedge is now situated. Also last ride the front end started creaking as I tweaked the handlebars a bit crashing and had to loosen up headset and re-tighten the stem to straighten. Cleaned everything there and lightly greased my 35mm stack of spacers as well. They always made some noise randomly.

Took a quick spin down the neighborhood and it's silent. Hopefully it stays that way. Now I'm itching to ditch the MRP Lopes guide and give the Raceface NW ring a try with my 1x9 Saint SS setup. It's only $30 on eBay, so why not. My trails aren't super aggressive any way.
    konahonzo

Bnerd
    So, after ignoring my Honzo for quite some time for a shinier, newer bike I've just been out for a ride on the Honzo. And, damn, I forgot how fun this bike is!

My new bike is a Banshee Prime. Getting back on the Honzo after the Prime makes it feel like a bmx because of how short the Honzo is!

I've changed up a few things on the Honzo.
    I now have brakes that actually stop me. Sram Guide R with 200mm rotors. I just need to get the hoses shortened. I was already out-riding the Rev fork. Now I'm really worried because of all the stopping power I have! I'll be able to brake way later and harder and not chicken out on hairy lines because I'm worried about not slowing down.
    I finally went tubeless. It was an effort to get the tires inflated and the beads seated on the MTX33 rims. But I made it happen all with a floor pump! It was a killer workout!
    I picked up a new bar. A black Chromag Fubar OSX. Because, y'know, ya gotta be all matchy matchy coordinated!

As I said, I forgot how much fun the Honzo was to ride! The bonus of stopping power and being able to run lower tire pressure had me rallying the bike on the short ride I had!

Here's some Honzo porn to go with all my gushing. Hahaha, see what I did there! Eeewwww!

Last edited by RideEverything; 05-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    So, after ignoring my Honzo for quite some time for a shinier, newer bike I've just been out for a ride on the Honzo. And, damn, I forgot how fun this bike is!

My new bike is a Banshee Prime. Getting back on the Honzo after the Prime makes it feel like a bmx because of how short the Honzo is!

I've changed up a few things on the Honzo.
    I now have brakes that actually stop me. Sram Guide R with 200mm rotors. I just need to get the hoses shortened. I was already out-riding the Rev fork. Now I'm really worried because of all the stopping power I have! I'll be able to brake way later and harder and not chicken out on hairy lines because I'm worried about not slowing down.
    I finally went tubeless. It was an effort to get the tires inflated and the beads seated on the MTX33 rims. But I made it happen all with a floor pump! It was a killer workout!
    I picked up a new bar. A black Chromag Fubar OSX. Because, y'know, ya gotta be all matchy matchy coordinated!

As I said, I forgot how much fun the Honzo was to ride! The bonus of stopping power and being able to run lower tire pressure had me rallying the bike on the short ride I had!

Here's some Honzo porn to go with all my gushing. Hahaha, see what I did there! Eeewwww!

I think its time for a 140 pike.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I think its time for a 140 pike.
    The fork upgrade will be a trickle down from my Prime which has a Fox 34 CTD on it. If I'm buying a new fork the Prime will be the benefactor of that purchase.

mtbr member

Took a quick spin down the neighborhood and it's silent. Hopefully it stays that way. Now I'm itching to ditch the MRP Lopes guide and give the Raceface NW ring a try with my 1x9 Saint SS setup. It's only $30 on eBay, so why not. My trails aren't super aggressive any way.
    Wishful thinking. It's back. And same noise as last year, so I can rule the rear end completely as it was just cleaned and greased and it's definitely coming from under my feet. I can also rule out the Saint BB and XT pedals, as both are new this season and noise is still there. The only thing left that can be making noise (after reading some old threads on here too) are the Shimano SLX cranks. They are on their 4th year of use and since I'm waiting for the RF NW ring to come in, I am spraying them down (the spindle/spider interface from the back) with penetrating oil (PB Blaster) since 2 nights ago. And I can say it's going in as the oil is disappearing over night.

I'll put it back together soon when I'll get the ring and hopefully it's gone now. If not, I have another set of SLX cranks on my brother's bike to swap and see if they are in fact the culprit of the noise.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    just ordered a set of 45NRTH Heiruspecs (sp?) platforms for the Honzo to give platform riding a try ? I've been using Time clip-ins (Atac and Z's) for over 20 years now and possibly switching back to platforms seems a little sketchy ?

Anyone out there that can give me their reviews on these pedals (online seems to get good reviews) ?

Also anyone recently switch from clips to platform that can give me their plus/minus review on the switch. I'm finding the older I get (49 in 2 months) the more hesitant I am on certain technical sections of being able to get away from the bike in a bail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ^^^^ I'll post pix after they show up

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by powdertrax View Post
    Also anyone recently switch from clips to platform that can give me their plus/minus review on the switch. I'm finding the older I get (49 in 2 months) the more hesitant I am on certain technical sections of being able to get away from the bike in a bail.
    I'm about three weeks into moving to flats, after 15 years on egg-beaters. I'm looking to visit a few bike parks this year and I certainly didn't want to be clipped on what will be the nastiest stuff I've ever ridden. It's been an interesting transition.

The biggest changes for me are climbing and staying on the pedals through smaller trail chatter. With climbing, I never realized how much I was pulling up with the trailing leg until flats. The first few rides, I nearly stalled on climbs that I usually finish very easily. I'm about 100 miles into flats and finally feeling pretty comfortable. My legs have stayed cooked since the transition and they already look and feel stronger.

For the trail chatter, I have to really focus on "heavy heels" and making sure I'm aware of my weight balance on the bike. If not, my feet get shifted and bumped on the pedals.

I love being able to put a foot down on turns and the ability to shift my foot to whatever may be the optimal placement and angle.

I do think for certain types of riding I would still prefer clipless, and plan on that being my strategy. I also plan on continuing to ride both periodically, with the goal being that I can go from one to the other while maintaining a consistent riding style.

I definitely recommend trying them.

mtbr member
    Saw this posted on Enduro MTB over the weekend

"Not a new product but the guys from Muycullen Bicycle Shop were excited to show off this titanium Honzo to which they had fitted 27.5+ tyres. They were keen to point out that this bike is not a production model, but they are loving how it rides. The entire bike still felt really light, and looks to be a blast on the trails. This is sure to interest some Honzo owners."
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-ti-honzo.jpg
    Spy Shots | New Products at the Emerald Enduro | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post

I love being able to put a foot down on turns and the ability to shift my foot to whatever may be the optimal placement and angle.
    I can attest to this. While I've ridden flats for as long as I can remember (most recent flats were the Point1 Podiums), I've been clipless for the past 3 seasons and never going back. I can say my riding style and efficiency has improved 25% at least. I get more rowdy now when the trail gets aggressive as I don't have to worry about pedal slip. While my brother has been clipless since last season and he's had enough. He's back on flats since the last ride we had. One word. Sketchy!!! Riding behind him was not as smooth as usual. Kid was drifting, foot out, on every turn, all over the place. Taking super wide lines, even went off trail a few times as he was too fast, too wide. I made sure to point it out to him. But he said he's much happier now as he never really found the proper foot placement with clipless after numerous tweaks and readjustments. And it will take time for him to readjust as he rode well with flats before. The biggest downfall now on flats are the climbs and bunny hopping. But we still made decent time on Strava. It all comes down to personal preference, but I'm not selling his clipless pedals and shoes just yet. He'll be back lol.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I dont plan on selling my shoes or my Time Z's, after 25+ years clipped in I'm sure it will take me a while to get the hang of platforms

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My gosh, I want one... (Titanium Honzo)

mtbr member
    I love this bike...Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150526_205948_1.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150526_210249_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
    I love this bike...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150526_205948_1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	991625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150526_210249_1.jpg 
Views:	1413 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	991626
    Maybe so, but it still looks like Ron Jeremy of steel hardtails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Maybe so, but it still looks like Roy Jeremy of steel hardtails.
    Roy Jeremy?

You mean Ron Jeremy? Name:  ron-jeremy.jpg
Views: 5331
Size:  144.6 KB

mtbr member
    Roy? Well, that must have been a typo.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey fellas, Im wondering if you could lend me some advice. I have a 2012 Honzo and recently purchased everything to convert it to a 10-speed (Zee short cage, SLX cassette, Zee shifter, SLX chain and RF narrow wide). Now, when I bolt the chainring up (to the stock Kona crankset), there is ZERO clearance between the ring and the chainstay. Anybody have any suggestions? Is it possible the crank arm is too close? Is it acceptable to run the sprocket on the front side of the spider? Any help would be greatly appreciated- I would really love to ride the new setup as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Picture? What's the size of your RF narrow wide?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Riding her in.
    Any news on how it rides wit the 51mm offset?

Currently trying to decide on which offset to run myself.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    No picture at the moment. The NW is a 32 tooth (same as the stock ring). when i bolt it to the crank, it rubs the seatstay. im thinking i may have torqued the crank arm down to much? If this isnt the case, would you think its ok to run the ring on the outside of the crank? I dont see why not, the spider looks asif ts designed to run a ring on either side.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    OK, so heres some pics. you can see that the chainring is pressed right against the chainstay

However, if i mount it to the outside of the spider, there is plenty of clearance. Anybody think this would pose an issue?

mtbr member
    It is supposed to go on the outside of that spider. The chainring should fit perfectly on that ledge that drops down to the bolt hole from the crank spindle.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
    OK, so heres some pics. you can see that the chainring is pressed right against the chainstay

However, if i mount it to the outside of the spider, there is plenty of clearance. Anybody think this would pose an issue?
    Something seems wrong there. It should normally fit on the inside of the spider where a middle ring would normally be. Looks like the stock setup is mounted on the inside and works ok. What was on there previously? Is the RF ring thicker?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
    Hey fellas, Im wondering if you could lend me some advice. I have a 2012 Honzo and recently purchased everything to convert it to a 10-speed (Zee short cage, SLX cassette, Zee shifter, SLX chain and RF narrow wide). Now, when I bolt the chainring up (to the stock Kona crankset), there is ZERO clearance between the ring and the chainstay. Anybody have any suggestions? Is it possible the crank arm is too close? Is it acceptable to run the sprocket on the front side of the spider? Any help would be greatly appreciated- I would really love to ride the new setup as soon as possible.
    It's because you are using a square taper, isis or octalink bottom bracket that doesn't have a long enough spindle length to run the chainring on the inside. Just run it on the outside or get another bottom bracket with a longer spindle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^That's the ticket. If you're looking to upgrade a bit more, get an external bottom bracket and a hollow spindle crank (Shimano SLX is a steal). Easy to maintain, and it'll lighten your setup as well.

Otherwise, sure, just run it on the outside; no problem there.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Otherwise, sure, just run it on the outside; no problem there.
    Chainline will likely suck.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Chainline will likely suck.
    No doubt, your drivetrain will wear faster but you shouldn't have any problems with it shifting if you do run it as is. ISIS bottom brackets are cheap, as a wrench I would recommend getting the correct one for proper chainline but if you can't swing it, it will be fine. They have the small bearings and wear out relatively quickly though so add me onto the list of upgrading to something with external bearings and cranks with a larger diameter spindle as well!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am new to the forum and figured I could just dive right in with a tech question...

I am thinking of upgrading the fork on my 2013 Honzo, but it has a 20mm axle/hub on the stock build. I'd like to convert it to a 15mm hub if possible. I know the hub is a Formula, but I don't know which model. Does anyone know if the stock 20mm hub can be converted to 15mm so that I can get a 15mm fork? Or how much of a pain/cost is it to lace up a new hub? (I would have my lbs do the work on that).

I haven't decided on a fork or whether or not I'm going to do it at all. Just trying to sort out options here.

Thanks.

Here's a pic of my bike on one of our local trails. I really love this bike.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg
    Last edited by altron3030; 05-31-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    May 2015
    As far as I know there isn't. Lacing that rim to a new hub shouldn't be any problem as long as you LBS has an experienced wheelbuilder, you may have to get different length spokes though depending on the flange height of the hub you switch to. Prices vary from shop to shop but my guess would be around 50 to lace a wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    omg the raddest bike ever!

mtbr member

Riding her in.
    pretty sick build , any better pics ? how do you like it ?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg 
Views:	8603 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	987443

How does it ride? The thinking about trying this platform.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've had some time on these now and I'm really enjoying the 27.5+ set up. However I'm noticing more pedal strikes with the slightly lower bottom bracket (although with my 140mm fork, the bottom bracket is only about 1/16 lower than my son's Honzo with a 120mm fork and 2.4 Ardents). I'm debating on buying some 170mm cranks to help with this.

Climbing seems to take a more energy but nothing drastic. At 210 pounds, I'm not a strong or fast climber anyhow.

The real advantage is the additional comfort over rock, chunk, and roots. I'm 48 and trying to milk out as many years as I can on a aggressive hardtail...these tires are gonna add some additional years to my enjoyment.

On the downhills, this setup takes the Honzo to a whole new level! Let me say, if you have less than stellar brakes, you better upgrade them before you convert over to this setup...I was amazed at the additional speed I was carrying on sketchy downhills and corners. Speaking of corners, it seems to transition from corner to corner so much easier/quicker now. Also, just the look of that wide tire on the front when riding adds so much confidence when riding aggressively.

I was on Flying Dog in Park City this weekend and while I was taking a break (sucking wind) from the climb, a guy on a FS (I believe it was a Santa Cruz Nomad) passed me and started the decent...I decided to follow him to see if I could keep pace with his speed...I was amazed I was hanging with him and after a few minutes he pulled aside and asked me to go ahead of him because he felt he was slowing me down! Once I finished Flying Dog, I then hit Crazy Eights and pushed the 27.5+ tires hard in the tight back to back berms. Like I mentioned earlier the Honzo with 27.5+ seems to transition out of these corners faster which I had to adjust to because it was throwing my lines off.

After this, I headed to Trailside Bike Park and had fun hitting the jump lines and the Bamm Bamm Trail. The Honzo with 27.5+ was a total hoot on this trail...check it out at I even had some of the young kids asking me if I was a Pro rider because I was hitting the drops, ladders and jumps...granted they were only around 12 but hey, made this 48 year old feel pretty good!

The next day, I headed to Snowbasin and hit the Sardine Peak Trail (another trail with some climbing but rewards with a fun downhill). I don't know if I was just spent from riding the day before or what but the climb seemed quite harder than the last time I rode it with the 29er wheelset....but the downhill was a blast!

Bottom line is I'm really having fun with the 27.5+. I may put the 29er wheelset back on just to compare again but I don't see myself riding the 29er wheelset much anymore. For the type of riding I like to do, the advantages of 27.5+ outweigh the disadvantages.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm Newbie 1st so don't kill me just here to learn from everyone.

I have a Kona Honzo 2015, would like to make some upgrade to it seat post is very important to me.

I'm also look to replace a bolt to derailleur hanger can't find a site to order it. I went to one bike shop in NYC wasn't much help at all.

Any site anyone can recommend for me to order it? much appreciated

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    pretty sick build , any better pics ? how do you like it ?
    How is she on the trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi Drkick,

Check out Chainreactioncycles. they have the rockshox reverb stealth for $315. which would work great on your honzo.

as far as the bolts for your drive side dropouts. I would contact kona explain what happened Im sure they would send replacements for free.

cheers

Andrew

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    Hi Drkick,

Check out Chainreactioncycles. they have the rockshox reverb stealth for $315. which would work great on your honzo.

as far as the bolts for your drive side dropouts. I would contact kona explain what happened Im sure they would send replacements for free.

cheers

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew!

Could i ask you a few question?

I did reach out to Kona and explain the issue. they gave me the link to there web store so i can order the replacement hanger not gonna fight with them. only wonder if its happening to a lot people.

what size reverb would i get for a XL size bike or that doesn't matter? I sound so much like a newbie...lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This is my 3rd honzo, and its the first time I ever had a bolt come loose on dropouts. The 2013 and 2014 have a star nut looking thing include with the bolts, which i think made them stay on better. But thankfully when I bought my 2013 frame they included 4 extra bolts and hangers.

seatpost wise you need the 31.6 either 125mm drop 420mm length or 150mm drop 430mm length. I personally would go for longest post as I am 6'5" and need it for leg extension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    This is my 3rd honzo, and its the first time I ever had a bolt come loose on dropouts. The 2013 and 2014 have a star nut looking thing include with the bolts, which i think made them stay on better. But thankfully when I bought my 2013 frame they included 4 extra bolts and hangers.

seatpost wise you need the 31.6 either 125mm drop 420mm length or 150mm drop 430mm length. I personally would go for longest post as I am 6'5" and need it for leg extension.

Your the "Honzo Specialist" I'm on my 1st Honzo hopefully more to come later on. Yea that bolt pissed me off because i tighten it a few times and still came off as i was riding one day. They sell them on there web store for 30 bucks a set. just wanna make sure i get the correct one.

Ahhh you and me both suffer from being giants i'm 6'4 was guessing hard what size should i get on the reveb and never could get a right answer at bike shop.

Tonight i'm gonna clean the bike up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Your the "Honzo Specialist" It's my first Honzo and let's see what other Kona i get in the long run. The Hanger bolt coming off pissed me off because i have tighten it before and it came out on me during a ride. I replace it with a temp bolt but not the length.

Awwww we both suffer from being giants. i could never get a right answer at the bike shop when asking about the reveb thanks for the info Andrew.

What do you think about the stock disk brake ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have never ridden the deore brakes. I have heard goods things tho. I buy the frames only and build them up its cheaper that way.

Mine is set up

Pike 140mm
    Zee Brakes
    Xt Shifter 10 speed
    Zee FR Derailluir
    XT Cassette 11-36
    Charger Pro 29 wheelset
    Hans Damp 2.35 upfront / Racing Ralph 2.4 rear
    KS LEV 150mm Seatpost
    780 Crankbrothers Carbon bars
    70mm thomson stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Only if we could switch for a few ride could i see your set up vs. my stock set up.
    Since this is my first hard tail XC bike i like it but i see i need to make some adjustment and up grades...