• 08-28-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    Do you run flat pedals or clipped in?
    -D

At the time of riding all on Point1 Podium flats. Plus I was coming off a 26er TransAM bike and first time on a 29er. So it may not be the best viewpoint on things lol. But still at 140mm, I wouldn't want to go lower now. The bike just rips.
  • 08-28-2013
    dfuse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    At the time of riding all on Point1 Podium flats. Plus I was coming off a 26er TransAM bike and first time on a 29er. So it may not be the best viewpoint on things lol. But still at 140mm, I wouldn't want to go lower now. The bike just rips.

You never miss your TransAM 26?
  • 08-28-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    You never miss your TransAM 26?

Nope. Not one bit. That bike was too small all around for me, from cockpit size to wheels. :D
  • 08-29-2013
    dfuse
    How tall were you again if you don't mind me asking? I'm 1.96m (6.4" I guess). I'm still not sure if I would prefer 26" over the 29er (I sold my old Trek but hadn't used it for years and before it was just some mild xc'ing). A Cotic Bfe does look nice..I could transfer my wheels and suspension to a new smaller frame and build a bike for my girlfriend... just thinking out loud here, I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree :)
  • 08-29-2013
    eurospek
    Same height as you. And what is shocking about the whole thing is the difference in cockpit size and reach. 620mm ETT, 70mm stem, 416mm reach on TransAM vs 663 ETT, 50mm stem, 464mm reach on the Honzo. Who knew such a big bike like the Honzo will be ridden a lot more aggressively and with more confidence than the TransAM.
  • 08-29-2013
    chad1433
    I looked at those pics and said, "****, that's Vegas!" Used to be my hometown, too. I really enjoyed the riding there. Just bought a 2013 Honzo and should get it in a few weeks. I think it would have been a great trail bike for the Cottonwood Canyon area and beyond.
  • 08-29-2013
    playdead
    2 Attachment(s)
    still lovin' my Honzo
  • 08-29-2013
    29er Kid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chad1433 View Post
    I looked at those pics and said, "****, that's Vegas!" Used to be my hometown, too. I really enjoyed the riding there. Just bought a 2013 Honzo and should get it in a few weeks. I think it would have been a great trail bike for the Cottonwood Canyon area and beyond.

Right on...indeed it's where I took the pictures and the Honzo is a total blast at Cottonwood and 3 mile smile! I think you will be quite content with the new model
  • 08-31-2013
    RideEverything
    Honzo Dirt Jumping
    This is a short phone vid of me riding a small line of Dirt jumps in the rain.
    My skill wasn't really turned on this day so there was no getting sideways or anything fancy. I do find the big wheels make it more of a challenge to move the bike around in the air.
    My crew of kids I was coaching this day put me to shame with the steez they were busting out on these small jumps!

For anyone hesitating on purchasing this bike, don't!
    It is a very fun and versatile bike to ride!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R1ojv4JXYE8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 09-01-2013
    sparkplug
    What Seat is that?
  • 09-01-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    - I ride a lot of rocky and rooty trails
    -D

Shoot man, that's all we have out here in PA.

I could honestly stand to have an extra 1/2" of clearance under the bb.

I've gone so far as to consider having someone with a mill make me a set of raised sliders.
  • 09-02-2013
    in-vico
    Covering The Eurobike 2013, the following spanish website say that 2014 Honzo frame is upgraded from cromoly to REYNOLDS tubing!!! :confused:

Eurobike 2013: Kona, Endura y Camelbak | MTB Pro

Would means lighter frame and suppler ride, right?

But can anyone confirm that this update is realy on the way? :skep:
  • 09-02-2013
    eurospek
    The Explosif frame has been upgraded from what I know, the Honzo is the same 4130 cromoly as before.
  • 09-02-2013
    in-vico
    Yes I know, but in a french website, they said one month ago that: "A Honzo in a "precious metal" should be out during the season."

Link here: Matos 2014 : Kona change tout ! - Bike Kulture Magazine

For me it looks like Kona is planning to release a lightened Honzo Frame... Maybe even titanium?!? Who knows. My guess is for an affordable Reynolds version.
  • 09-02-2013
    superstar1
    Do you people ever go on Kona's website because all this information is freely available
  • 09-02-2013
    in-vico
    Quote:

Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Do you people ever go on Kona's website because all this information is freely available

Wher have you found these news please? I didnt seen anything about a Reynolds or Titanium Honzo on Kona's website...:confused:
  • 09-02-2013
    carabao
  • 09-02-2013
    eurospek
    ^ Nice edit.
  • 09-02-2013
    playdead
    Sweet vid.
  • 09-04-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    1 Attachment(s)
    USPS tracking is awful. Currently I am waiting on axle kit so I can build my new frame. I found a few 2013's to choose from at The Path. Awesome shop considering they stripped the bike while have a huge sale during Labor day weekend.
  • 09-04-2013
    dfuse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carabao View Post

Cool! The other one in the comments is also nice, not a Honzo but still a Kona: The 2013 Kona Shred - YouTube
  • 09-05-2013
    Fish111
    1 Attachment(s)
    2014 honzo
    New 2014 frame ready for build
  • 09-05-2013
    chad1433
    Doing your own work? Do you build wheels, too?
  • 09-06-2013
    appleSSeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    here was my honzo with the build i had during the winter:

trying to sell it like this now:

Where did you get these tires! Need!
  • 09-06-2013
    bmreal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    USPS tracking is awful. Currently I am waiting on axle kit so I can build my new frame. I found a few 2013's to choose from at The Path. Awesome shop considering they stripped the bike while have a huge sale during Labor day weekend.

I picked up one of these from The Path shop as well. Going to be converting my blue 2012 Honzo (also from The Path) from SS to 1x10 and the 2013 will be built up SS. Great frame.
  • 09-06-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    2 Attachment(s)
    Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

2013 small
    140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
    SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
    i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
    Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
    Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
    1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
    DeFacto pedals

Attachment 830137

Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

Attachment 830136
  • 09-07-2013
    29er Kid
    Quote:

Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

2013 small
    140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
    SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
    i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
    Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
    Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
    1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
    DeFacto pedals

Attachment 830137

Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

Attachment 830136

Wait until your complete and hit the trails; the frame/bike is great!

I'm curious if the Shimano SLX cranks are the 104 BCD mounting for the wolf tooth chain ring?
  • 09-08-2013
    carabao
    2 Attachment(s)
    37t, WB lengthened to 44.5", bb at 12.5", CS lengthened to16.5"
    Attachment 830441
    Attachment 830442

I really recommend lengthening CS to 16.5. It just feels dialed and you can fit a 2.4 Ardent or 2.5 Minion easily. With socal's current hard pack conditions I'm liking Ardent 2.4's for their speed, cush, and durability. Tried a 2.35 Ikon and sliced it on the first ride. I don't recommend the Ikon for sharp terrain; it has a thin casing.
  • 09-08-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    I'm curious if the Shimano SLX cranks are the 104 BCD mounting for the wolf tooth chain ring?

Yes, the SLX cranks are 104 BCD. I have been riding as much as I can this weekend. It is everything I have been looking for in a bike. It really is ridiculous it the feel and handling while being a 29er. It jumps so smooth and after my first attempt I had complete confidence in the bike.

@Carabao, was your Ikon an EXO casing? Curious because that is the tire i am running in the back.
  • 09-08-2013
    carabao
    Quote:

Yes, the SLX cranks are 104 BCD. I have been riding as much as I can this weekend. It is everything I have been looking for in a bike. It really is ridiculous it the feel and handling while being a 29er. It jumps so smooth and after my first attempt I had complete confidence in the bike.

@Carabao, was your Ikon an EXO casing? Curious because that is the tire i am running in the back.

Yes an Ikon exo 2.35. I could have just been unlucky, but I took it as a bad sign. If it's holding up for you, no reason to change.
  • 09-08-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Its barely over a month old. It sounds like a an unlucky slice. I am comparing it Spec Purg's and the EXO sidewalls feel much thicker/stiffer. I am running about 4-5 lbs less air in my Maxxis tires.
  • 09-08-2013
    carabao
    Quote:

Its barely over a month old. It sounds like a an unlucky slice. I am comparing it Spec Purg's and the EXO sidewalls feel much thicker/stiffer. I am running about 4-5 lbs less air in my Maxxis tires.

Cool. My slice wasn't on the sidewall. It was between the tread like a knife. Glad it's working for you.
  • 09-08-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    What, no hardpack love for the rampage 2.35? We've seen many a slashed Ardent in PA.
  • 09-09-2013
    chad1433
    1 Attachment(s)
    Stock, w/Race Face carbon bars, X-9 type II
  • 09-09-2013
    saul
    Hey guys!

Any idea where to get a Honzo frame in Europe?

Thanks!
  • 09-09-2013
    29er Kid
    @beer_coffee_water: Thanks for the feedback on the 104 BCD mounting. The Wolf tooth looks so burly!

Right on with your first weekend and riding. It should only get better with the opportunities you get to ride as each week rolls by!
  • 09-09-2013
    29er Kid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saul View Post
    Hey guys!

Any idea where to get a Honzo frame in Europe?

Thanks!

I'm sure the Kona website can provide some guidance on where to find a frame in your local region

KONA BIKES | DEALERS
  • 09-10-2013
    Fish111
    1 Attachment(s)
    2014 Honzo
    Mostly done, waiting on a Reverb and a specialized butcher out front
  • 09-10-2013
    29er Kid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish111 View Post
    Mostly done, waiting on a Reverb and a specialized butcher out front

Wow that is one SICK build! What might be the weight on your bike? I'm not a light weight freak but my ride is stock and definitely not light.
  • 09-10-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here are a couple of pics with my build completed and tested. Fish111, that green looks great too. I like it a lot more without the stock all black fork.

Attachment 831060

Attachment 831061
  • 09-11-2013
    dfuse
    Those small frames do look better then the xl ones, like mine
  • 09-11-2013
    hjulier
    1 Attachment(s)
    Honzo Update
    Attachment 831123

Hey gang.

A few updates on my Honzo.

Ditched the Wierwolf/Bronson combo for a Hans Dampf 2.4 front (trailstar compound) with a Nobby Nic 2.2 (pacestar compound) in the back. What a fantastic difference that made! The Hans Dampf is flat out amazing. Slow to roll on pavement and very hard trails but otherwise the next level grip and cornering traction it provides is confidence inspiring. The Nobby Nic provides excellent climbing traction and sheds mud much better than the Bronson did. Chose the 2.2 over the 2.4 to save some weight. I definitely don't regret the decision to run this combo. I think the WTV Vigilante is a similar tire to the Hans Dampf, but I wanted to go with something people have vetted. Got them online for way under MSRP. Running with tubes as I didn't have access to an air compressor when I wanted to mount them tubeless. Having my shop mount them tubeless soon.

I also removed the white WTB decals from my rims. Much better looking, and I'm glad to see WTB is moving towards subtler graphics on their KOM rims.

Finally got a newer WTB Laser V Pro saddle. It fits my bum. 'nuff said.

Next upgrade is dropping down to a 30t RaceFace Wide/Narrow ring with a RaceFace bashguard on there, for an imminent trip to the rockies.

Factoid- Still playing with the air pressure in my 2012 Revelation dual Air. Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.
  • 09-11-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Attachment 831123

Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.

wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.
  • 09-11-2013
    Fish111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    Wow that is one SICK build! What might be the weight on your bike? I'm not a light weight freak but my ride is stock and definitely not light.

I'm not sure. Ill weigh it when I'm done building
  • 09-11-2013
    Fish111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chad1433 View Post
    Doing your own work? Do you build wheels, too?

No my LBS is building it.
  • 09-12-2013
    AOK
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    Does the Honzo frame have ED rustproof coating inside like the new Nimble9 and TransAm do?
  • 09-12-2013
    hjulier
    Quote:

Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.

I'm on a 20L frame, 190 lbs with gear. I've read on a few places (mostly here at MTBR) that the dual air revelations need less air than labeled. Might also have something to do with the travel going from 120 to 140 mm.

Eventually I'll upgrade to a Pike or a 34mm xfusion.
  • 09-12-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Does the Honzo frame have ED rustproof coating inside like the new Nimble9 and TransAm do?

It does not. Some folks have been using Frame Saver and others mention using automotive fogging oil.
  • 09-12-2013
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post

I also run lower than recommended pressures 90-95+/95- even with the lower pressures I still am only getting around 20% sag. The fork still rides high and hitting smaller drops and jumps doesn't use all of its travel. I started out at 115 in each. I weigh 185 lbs and am running the fork at 140mm.
  • 09-13-2013
    Fish111
    2 Attachment(s)
    Just riding
    The more I ride this the more I love it. Adjustable travel fork definitely helps with how 140mm of travel wanders on the steep climbs.