Nov 2012
    Thanks, 32 on a turbine cinch.

mtbr member

It's Here.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img956425.jpg
    Build Night Tonight
    "Sometimes, you just got to buck up and huck it."

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0877.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0874.jpg
    Honzo Build is Done-zo
    "Sometimes, you just got to buck up and huck it."

mtbr member
    Rad build with rad wheels! NOX are the only carbon rims that I haven't killed on my 6" bike. Killed two LB 30/35 27.5" rims in less than three months before getting on the NOX. Wish I could run them on my 15' Honzo as well, but keeping it as somewhat budget build. I did put on a KS LEV Ti just recently as well and some new wheels to be built in the future to replace the stock ones, but Alu. You running the Pike in 120? I have been running the Monarch in stock setting of 120 and feels pretty balanced going up/down. If stepping up to Pike in the future for more AM-ability, would go 130 max. I like the lower BB with shorter fork and steeper angles for climbing. The Honzo is a very fun and versatile trail bike, especially the 15' with much improved standover for jumping. Even killed a somewhat aggro DJ gap line at night with the lights the other week about as well as on my smaller-wheeled bikes. Enjoy, bike looks bomber.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlyons21 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0877.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	961412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	961413
    Honzo Build is Done-zo
    whats the frame/build weight on that bad boy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Rad build with rad wheels! You running the Pike in 120? Enjoy, bike looks bomber.
    Thanks man. Yes Pike is at 120. And the inaugural ride will be today, even though it is hellaciously muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    Didn't measure it. Don't care. I'd guess 28.5-30.0 lbs???

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Shew. That thang is sharp, sharp. Ride it like you rented it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Shew. That thang is sharp, sharp. Ride it like you rented it.
    Thanks man. First ride report: I forgot what it's like to rip a hardtail through the woods. I also forgot how lazy of a rider a TBLTc makes you. "Steel IS real," cliche does apply. Dang this thing is STIFF as S#!T. Not that heavy, can't tell it anyways. ACCELERATION. Loves to be pushed HARD through turns, get in the air, and go fast. Big wheels keep on rollin'. PURE GENUINE FUN. Can't wait to ride again.

Buddies already nicknamed her "The Orca", because the frame looks like and orca with the long seat tube gusset being the fin. LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which NOX rims are those?

Great looking build.

Name:	IMAG0877.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	961412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	961413
    Honzo Build is Done-zo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Which NOX rims are those?

Great looking build.
    Farlow 29. I live in Knoxville, so it only made sense to buy them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't like the seat tube of the 2015, but I sure like the color way. Nice bike.
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 02-05-2015 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I don't like the seat tube of the 2015, nut I sure like the color way. Nice bike.
    I didn't like it at first but after jrlyons called it an orca I like it a whole lot more. Still love my Brownzo. I would like to try a size up built like mine with a 35mm stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Name:	IMG956425.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	961024
    Build Night Tonight
    Jrlyons21,

Did your frame come with the Maxle ?

Mine didn't . Which is weird because both my 2013 and 2014 did.

Nice build !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konacrasher View Post
    Jrlyons21,

Did your frame come with the Maxle ?

Mine didn't . Which is weird because both my 2013 and 2014 did.

Nice build !
    No, I was kinda bummed, because I assumed it did. Luckily the shop knew it didn't and went ahead and ordered it so it was there before the frame.

Thanks, I rode it all week/weekend. This bike has been functioning for less than a week and has ~105 miles on it.

Plan #123-D
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    The best SS hubs (Chris King & DT 240) are bolt on, and require 10mm open (QR) drop-outs.

I have an extra set of Maxle dropouts (with axle) that I would trade straight up for a set of QR dropouts. Not a Maxle fan.
    PM'd you. I'll trade.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    Just took delivery of an XL. 3474 grams (7.65 lbs) including seatclamp but not thru-axle (as it did not come with one).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Have s set of quick release dropouts to trade for maxle ones.

Thanks, Travis

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Without reading all 81 pages of this thread, I figured I'd just ask the question. What are the largest (width) tires anybody has gotten away with on their Honzo? I have the original 2012 Honzo, currently with the stock ardent tires, but I'd like to go wider. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Tough luck. Go back and read the 81 pages.

Ha! I've got a 2012, and put 2.35 Hans Dampf with a 30mm inner width rim, and had maybe 2-3mm of clearance; with a 2014 Nobby Nic, maybe 4mm. The same tires with 23mm inner width rim leave at least 8mm clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

My honzo build

Been following the tread for awhile, just finished up my build last week. Really stoked on how it came out. Have a revelation fork to put on it as soon as the weather breaks. One fun bike to ride that's for sure. Been riding a trek stache prior to this and I must say the Geo and forgivingness of the steel has been a major upgrade from the aluminum stache. Only negative side is that she's a lil hefty compared to stache. Overall this thing rips and steel is defiantly real.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    Without reading all 81 pages of this thread, I figured I'd just ask the question. What are the largest (width) tires anybody has gotten away with on their Honzo? I have the original 2012 Honzo, currently with the stock ardent tires, but I'd like to go wider. Any ideas?
    The only tires that have been on my Honzos:
    WTB Dissent 2.5"
    Maxxis Minion 2.5"
    On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4"

If I slam the sliders, the frame rubs with most pedal strokes, or when I lean hard into turns. Forced to keep it near the back since I refuse to ride skinny tires.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by t.smith88 View Post
    Been following the tread for awhile, just finished up my build last week. Really stoked on how it came out. Have a revelation fork to put on it as soon as the weather breaks. One fun bike to ride that's for sure. Been riding a trek stache prior to this and I must say the Geo and forgivingness of the steel has been a major upgrade from the aluminum stache. Only negative side is that she's a lil hefty compared to stache. Overall this thing rips and steel is defiantly real.
    Looks good. Is that a large? I hope my frame eventually comes in, because I've picked up a LEV post and a Trace fork for it!

mtbr member
    That looks dialed. Nice touch with the green accents.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSPChilliwack View Post
    Looks good. Is that a large? I hope my frame eventually comes in, because I've picked up a LEV post and a Trace fork for it!
    Thanks and Yes sir it's large I was sorta torn between large and medium. So I went with the size up theory and slammed the stem. It was defiantly the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

2012 Honzo chainline?

hi fellow Honzo owners, long time reader first time poster.

I have a 2012 Honzo (L) and am finally getting around to upgrades, starting with my drivetrain. I might have a chainline problem though and hoping someone here has been through this already.

I went to 10 speed with:
    - Zee rear derailleur (wide-range)
    - Saint shifter
    - XT 11-36 cassette
    - Race Face 32T narrow-wide CR
    - SLX 3 ring crank and BB, on recommendations that the middle rings give a good chainline
    - no chain retention or bashguard

I got it all cabled up and did the initial rear DR adjustment, but the chainring is noisy in the larger cogs. Now I've read this is pretty normal, but my chainline still looks, sounds, and feels wrong on the 36T.

I have one 2.5MM BB spacer on drivetrain side, none on other side, and my chainline is 50mm. Is that what others are using? I am thinking 47.5mm would be better, BUT, when I measure by drivetrain side crank arm to the rim it is 55mm vs 60mm on the other side, so that would go to 52.5 vs 60mm if I took out the spacer? Shouldn't they be the sameish? Can I even put the BB in without a spacer?

Thanks for any insight and sorry for being such a newb, my last build was a SS Titanium Red in 2000, so it's been a while.

Cheers,
    Trev

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_3084.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey Honzo owners.

Making the jump to a 142 rear end this spring - most likely using a Shimano hub. Who's making the best rear though axle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Hey Honzo owners.

Making the jump to a 142 rear end this spring - most likely using a Shimano hub. Who's making the best rear though axle?
    I like my RS Maxles on my bikes. Upgrade the Santa Cruz from a DT Swiss Skewer to the Maxle and built the Honzo up with the Maxle Lite. No fuss and uber easy function. I like the adjust-ability. A little pricey though...

mtbr member
    This is what happens when our trails are peanut butter.

So the white decals on the NOX wheels are kinda gettin' on my nerves. I'm either going to take them off (but I'd like to rep NOX) or get custom color matched decals?

Need opinions. One option has green front and blue rear outline and is cool, but over the top I think? The other is all black everything. Go.Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-zoblack.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-zoblack.jpg

Edit: After seeing this...I realized I have too much time on my hands...and this is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    all black everythang.

mtbr member
    This is what happens when our trails are peanut butter.

So the white decals on the NOX wheels are kinda gettin' on my nerves. I'm either going to take them off (but I'd like to rep NOX) or get custom color matched decals?

Need opinions. One option has green front and blue rear outline and is cool, but over the top I think? The other is all black everything. Go.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZOBLACK.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	966928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZOBLACK.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	966908

Edit: After seeing this...I realized I have too much time on my hands...and this is ridiculous.
    What travel setting are you preferring the Pike in if you tried different lengths, 120 vs 130 if so? I have a 15' Honzo as well, but with stock Monarch 120 that feels pretty balanced for up/down general trail riding and jumping is good enough, but fork is a little thin for more aggro, rougher riding. Eventually plan to go Pike, but not sure if 120 or 130 spring since I like the lower BB with 120 fork and feels about right with climbing as well (not sure I would want it any slacker for climbs, but welcome it on the speedy descents)
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LBS tells me my frame now shows as "shipped" from distributor, so should arrive next week! I've got nearly all of my parts, but I'm looking to get in the ball park for a stem length to start with. My current ride is an El Mariachi (reach 431, stack 618, STA 73). L Honzo is reach 454, stack 647, STA 74.5. I run a 90mm (+ 6 degrees)stem on the El Mar, with a 710mm bar, but if I hook a finger around the bar and "pretend" to run with a shorter stem (if that makes sense), it feels just fine--hands would be about 15-20mm closer.

I've picked up some wider bars for the Honzo--currently 775mm, but I might go a little shorter. The steeper STA on the Honzo will shorten up the distance between seat and bars by a few mm. I do have to climb a lot on my local trail network, and will probably start my forks at 120mm. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    From the numbers alone, and a similar move on my part from a more traditional XC frame to a Honzo a few years ago - I'd start with a 60, 65mm or 70mm stem. If I remember, the Honzo (at least my '12 version) was designed around a 60mm stem. There are other people here who might know otherwise. But just based on the difference in reach from your el mariachi to the Honzo, 60 seems like a very safe bet!

I have a 70mm Thomson on my XL Honzo and am running a 140mm Pike. Fits my tall lanky ass like a glove.

Welcome to the club and prepare to have fun!

LBS tells me my frame now shows as "shipped" from distributor, so should arrive next week! I've got nearly all of my parts, but I'm looking to get in the ball park for a stem length to start with. My current ride is an El Mariachi (reach 431, stack 618, STA 73). L Honzo is reach 454, stack 647, STA 74.5. I run a 90mm (+ 6 degrees)stem on the El Mar, with a 710mm bar, but if I hook a finger around the bar and "pretend" to run with a shorter stem (if that makes sense), it feels just fine--hands would be about 15-20mm closer.

I've picked up some wider bars for the Honzo--currently 775mm, but I might go a little shorter. The steeper STA on the Honzo will shorten up the distance between seat and bars by a few mm. I do have to climb a lot on my local trail network, and will probably start my forks at 120mm. Thoughts?

mtbr member

fWIW, I am running a 15' large Honzo with 35 mm stem, 760 bars (stock -would be fine up to 780) and running 120 mm Rev fork (stock) and bike feels quite balance and comfortable going up and down most all trails. Even cleared an expert level big gap jump line at dark with lights with no issues as well. For me, the short stem speeds up the steering which I thinks helps make the bike feel more playful and responsive to offset the naturally slower steering big wheel. This is evident when rallying the trails and geo with 120 fork keeps the front end down when busting out the steeper climbs with seated pedaling.

Great stock geo in my opinion that feels quite balanced going up or hugging the turns and thumping the descents. I came to conclusion that if I have run >50mm stem to make the cockpit to fit right, then the top tube/reach and overall bike size is typically too short. This bike with the bigger wheels and dialed railing geo begs for shorter stem.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    What travel setting are you preferring the Pike in if you tried different lengths, 120 vs 130 if so? I have a 15' Honzo as well, but with stock Monarch 120 that feels pretty balanced for up/down general trail riding and jumping is good enough, but fork is a little thin for more aggro, rougher riding. Eventually plan to go Pike, but not sure if 120 or 130 spring since I like the lower BB with 120 fork and feels about right with climbing as well (not sure I would want it any slacker for climbs, but welcome it on the speedy descents)
    I have the 120 and really haven't felt the need for anything more. Pedal strikes aren't an issue either. The Pike is an awesome fork if all your looking for is stiffer, better control, and smoother feel. I'm not too sure that 10mm would be THAT noticeable on descents or climbs, but that's just me...

mtbr member
    I have the 120 and really haven't felt the need for anything more. Pedal strikes aren't an issue either. The Pike is an awesome fork if all your looking for is stiffer, better control, and smoother feel. I'm not too sure that 10mm would be THAT noticeable on descents or climbs, but that's just me...
    Thanks, good to hear since the 120 seems to work good for me as well.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    203/180 discs or 180/160?

I'm 185 geared up.

mtbr member
    203/180 discs or 180/160?

I'm 185 geared up.
    About 210 lbs geared here with 180/160 Deores (stock) and hit 30mph or so on trail quite frequently with no issues. Works, but think Zee or Saint brakes (4 piston) with 180/160 like on my other bikes would be best. I am running the cheap, stock non-ice tech rotors that roast on long, really steep descents (1,000ft/mile drop). Depending on your brakes i think 180/160 or 180/180 should be fine with ice tech rotors if hitting speedy or steep descents.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    About 210 lbs geared here with 180/160 Deores (stock) and hit 30mph or so on trail quite frequently with no issues. Works, but think Zee or Saint brakes (4 piston) with 180/160 like on my other bikes would be best. I am running the cheap, stock non-ice tech rotors that roast on long, really steep descents (1,000ft/mile drop). Depending on your brakes i think 180/160 or 180/180 should be fine with ice tech rotors if hitting speedy or steep descents.
    I'd love a Zee set but $300 is a lot right now.

I've never had any issue with the SLX calipers and deore rotors. But it's time to replace rotors and I might as well upgrade.

mtbr member
    From what I've read the easiest and biggest impact brake upgrade to the Deore brakes is to keep the calipers and levers, but add icetech rotors and pads. No long descents where I live so I'm not worried though.

Here's the first review of the 2015 Honzo that I've seen: Kona Honzo - first ride review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll try out the ice tech with my slx and see how it goes.

Last indecision of the day: black, gold, or blue Chromag OSX bars? My bike is the 2014 green.

mtbr member

Last indecision of the day: black, gold, or blue Chromag OSX bars? My bike is the 2014 green.
    Need picture to help...

mtbr member

Gold!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Green is for the money, gold is for the honey.

Gold it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    super nice build! what size is it and what tyres width?

mtbr member
    Overall this thing rips and steel is defiantly real.
    I hope you meant defiant instead of definite. HA that's even better!

Sweet build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I feel like my Honzo has finally reached nirvana. I've finally got it exactly where I've wanted it since I bought it since I bought it over a year ago. Especially after the revelation lengthen to 140, it continues to blow my mind how capable this bike is. When I rode a local SoCal trail called Suicide recently, I had several DH kitted bros tell me "Dude that won't make it down." While it may not have been a little more wild than on a 6" travel bike, I made it down the drops, rollers, rocks, berms and everything else all the same. I'll continue to change things if they break, and probably next will be a wheel rebuild when the stock hubs finally explode, but otherwise I'm totally content with the current setup

Total changes to date:

SLX brakes and rotors
    Chromag OSX Fubar
    Raceface Respond 45 stem
    Revelation lengthened to 140
    ODI Rogue lock ons
    Reverb 125mm dropper

EDIT: I don't know why the image keeps double posting upside down.

http://i.imgur.com/ZlLMYgi.jpg?1
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 03-07-2015 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    glad you made the right colour choice
    this bike rips indeed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good call with the gold. The photo doesn't do it justice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has anyone tired to see if a 27.5+ (2.8" tire) setup will work on the Honzo?

Just curious...

Chronic 1st-timer
    ^ Don't think that'll be possible.
    My 2.5" Dissents must be placed pretty far back in the sliders, or else they rub.....a lot.

Mostly slammed
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-04.10-honzo-wiggle-room-0.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-04.10-honzo-wiggle-room-1.jpg
    Last edited by lubes17319; 04-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not enough clearance. The 2015 frame has wider chainstay clearance by a few mm, but still not enough for 2.8.
    ...I wanted that to work too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My headset got held up in shipping--everything else is ready-to-go; the wait is killing me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-i-sbl8rvs-m.jpg

And so it begins.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wow,she looks supercool,size?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I did most of the parts swaps to my 2015 Honzo yesterday. Still waiting on brake rotors and a dropper.

Wheels: Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t hubs, WTB KOM i25 rims, DT Swiss Competition spokes
    XT+ derailleur with OneUp RADr cage
    XT cassette with OneUp 42t and 16t cogs
    OneUp 30t chainring
    Kona Wah Wah pedals
    Shimano Saint I-Spec shifter (shift up 2 gears and down 4!!!)
    Oury lock on grips

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-mmfx6621.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-mmfx6627.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-mmfx6624.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-mmfx6628.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Wheels: Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t hubs, WTB KOM i25 rims, DT Swiss Competition spokes
    How'd those KOM i25s build up? Been interested in those for a while...

mtbr member
    Got 'em from Chain Reaction (free wheelbuilding!).

This is my first wheelset from them, so I can't tell you much about the build quality apart from that they are true and seem to have pretty high tension.

mtbr member
    I will add that the tubeless setup was easy. This was my first tubeless install. I was able to seat the tires using my cheap MEC pump, and a couple of tugs on the tire. Once seated, I added sealant with a Stan’s injector through the valve core. I did the whole thing in my living room and didn’t spill more than one or two drops of sealant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    Has anyone tired to see if a 27.5+ (2.8" tire) setup will work on the Honzo?

Just curious...
    Yeah, I've got a wtb trailblazer on a Spank oozy295 (24.5mm internal) fitting in the back of my 2014 honzo. It's tight, but definitely rideable.

Bike isn't finished yet, waiting in forks.. But I'll post a picture when it's done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine's a large

Quote Originally Posted by er cobra View Post
    Wow,she looks supercool,size?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by g-fish View Post
    Yeah, I've got a wtb trailblazer on a Spank oozy295 (24.5mm internal) fitting in the back of my 2014 honzo. It's tight, but definitely rideable.

Bike isn't finished yet, waiting in forks.. But I'll post a picture when it's done.
    Great -- I hope this works well for you. I read that using the WTB on rims less that ~35mm inner width causes the tire to fold too much. Also, of course, you don't get the full 2.8 width. Correct me if your experience is different.

I stayed away from trying this for these reasons, and opted to just wait for a frame that could handle a proper 27.5+ tires mounted on ~50mm wide rims. (Such a frame would also handle typical 29 tires.) My 2012 frame just barely handles a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 30mm wide rim -- about 2-3mm of clearance.

mtbr member
    Add another XL to the pod. A decidedly XC interpretation:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great -- I hope this works well for you. I read that using the WTB on rims less that ~35mm inner width causes the tire to fold too much. Also, of course, you don't get the full 2.8 width. Correct me if your experience is different.

I stayed away from trying this for these reasons, and opted to just wait for a frame that could handle a proper 27.5+ tires mounted on ~50mm wide rims. (Such a frame would also handle typical 29 tires.) My 2012 frame just barely handles a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 30mm wide rim -- about 2-3mm of clearance.
    I've given the trailblazers a little roll around already on these rims. They seem to handle fine. Obviously a wider rim would be better.. Buy it's a balance of weight and frame clearance. The oozys are perfect for this set up on the honzo.

A lot of people have been complaining of wtbs 2.8 measurement of these tires. And it's true they've got a narrow tread. But I don't see a way around it.. The purpose of the tire is to fit into 29" frames. The trailblazer squeezes into most frames.. If they made it larger it wouldn't fit.

I plan on running a 2.4" 29er wheel on the front and this 27.5+ on the back which should give a little extra cush on the hardtail.. We'll see how it pans out...

Plan #123-D
    Long shot, but does anybody have the stock 2013 saddle they'd be willing to part with? It's the WTB with orange writing....?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg

Finally (almost) done. Will be getting some grips and a new stem to replace the loaner from the LBS. Early impressions are favourable--doesn't climb as badly as I had feared, so I won't be dropping the travel of the fork form the current 140. Feels great once going down, and the Trace is waaaaaaaaay better than the Recon Gold I have on my El Mariachi. Unfortunately, I slashed a tire about 5 mins into my descent after a lengthy climb.

So we got to spend a good hour of quality walking time together.

mtbr member
    Which tire did you lash?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Which tire did you lash?
    Turns out it hadn't been cut--it had burped. Never had that happen to me before--glad I wasn't going too fast. The Specialized tires don't seem to fit as tight as the Ardents on my other bikes --both WTB rims, so I'm guessing I need to watch the tire pressure more carefully and keep it a bit higher.

I'll add that the looks are growing on me, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New to the Thread. New to the Honzo

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf3532.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf3534.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf3536.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf3539.jpg

Hey! Just built up a med Honzo frame. Been eyeing up the frame for a while, and finally got it. Stripped my previous frame and added everything from it!

Easton Haven's
    Continental Trail Kings
    Sram X9 crank
    Race face Single 32t
    Sram Type 2 med length derailleur
    OneUp 42t with the 16t
    XO brakes
    Fox Talas 140mm

I've only ridden it on one serious ride today, but wow... Climbs like a mountain goat and descends like crazy! It definitely kicks my last frames @$$

mtbr member
    The med frame looks sick. First 2015 med I have seen. I wouldn't mind trying one out to compare it to my sm. I think I am needing more room while seated but I don't what to go over a 50mm stem on my bike. I also want to test a longer WB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying one out to compare it to my sm. I think I am needing more room while seated but I don't what to go over a 50mm stem on my bike.

Ya, I was really unsure about whether I should get a med or a sm. I'm 5' 8" I've been reading lots of different forums and guys saying get smaller. And I actually tried a med out at my LBS that one of the guys had built up. His setup made it feel really long, I think he had a 70mm stem on it and had his seat way back on the post; felt a little big on me. But I decided on a med anyways cause a 15" ST just seemed like it would have been way too short.

But the way I have the cockpit set up right now feels perfect! I get good seat height for the climbs, the stem's not too long (50mm race face chester) so it feels great when bombing down. The whole bike just feels short and nimble but not too short that I don't have control when going really fast...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brickwallmusic View Post

Hey! Just built up a med Honzo frame. Been eyeing up the frame for a while, and finally got it. Stripped my previous frame and added everything from it!

Easton Haven's
    Continental Trail Kings
    Sram X9 crank
    Race face Single 32t
    Sram Type 2 med length derailleur
    OneUp 42t with the 16t
    XO brakes
    Fox Talas 140mm

I've only ridden it on one serious ride today, but wow... Climbs like a mountain goat and descends like crazy! It definitely kicks my last frames @$$
    Super nice build! did you weigh the naked frame?

Plan #123-D
    Whoa!!! That's sick!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by er cobra View Post
    Super nice build! did you weigh the naked frame?

No I didn't, wish I had but I don't have any scales at my place and I didn't think to get my LBS to weigh. I know for sure, just by riding it that it's at least a couple pounds lighter than my xc fs frame I stripped down to build it up. I'll definitely be weighing that one and seeing what it was at. It was supposed to be xc but felt like a tank.

Plan #123-D
    Here's mine in its current state:

Small frame
    Revelation RCT3 at 120mm
    Reverb post
    DT Swiss 350 hubs laced to WTB Frequency 23 rims with Maxxis Minion 2.3 tires
    XTR shifter, Zee derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette
    XT crankset with Race Face 32T narrow wide
    Chromag bar
    Race Face stem
    Hayes Prime Comp brakes

I rode it last year as a single speed, but am trying gears for a bit.

Regarding the fork - I love it, very very happy with the Revelation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1871.jpg  

mtbr member
    After deciding on a stiffer fork with more travel for my Honzo, I need some opinions.

$600 for the X-Fusion Trace RL2? Is the lack of adjustable compression damping a deal-breaker? I ride on the road a bit, and being able to firm up the fork with the spin of a dial is a lot more appealing than getting out the ol' shock pump.

Or is the extra $200 for a Pike worth it? I wouldn't mind owning this "latest-and-greatest in forks," but the price...isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

What about a Fox 34 Evolution? At $700 it's a bit more palatable than the Pike. Does it still eat seals though? I'm a bit wary of Fox after their mistakes in years past.

Then again, should I wait to see X-Fusion's new Roughcut damper in the Trace?

If anyone has used any of these, I would greatly appreciate their views. Thanks!

(Decisions, arrrgh )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboPenguin View Post
    After deciding on a stiffer fork with more travel for my Honzo, I need some opinions.

$600 for the X-Fusion Trace RL2? Is the lack of adjustable compression damping a deal-breaker? I ride on the road a bit, and being able to firm up the fork with the spin of a dial is a lot more appealing than getting out the ol' shock pump.

Or is the extra $200 for a Pike worth it? I wouldn't mind owning this "latest-and-greatest in forks," but the price...isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

What about a Fox 34 Evolution? At $700 it's a bit more palatable than the Pike. Does it still eat seals though? I'm a bit wary of Fox after their mistakes in years past.

Then again, should I wait to see X-Fusion's new Roughcut damper in the Trace?

If anyone has used any of these, I would greatly appreciate their views. Thanks!

(Decisions, arrrgh )
    Only one experience with a Trace RL2...and it was not a good one.

I have had a Fox 34 on a Yelli and now the Pike on the Honzo. I can't say that's a direct comparison, but both are aggro 29er hardtails...so not apples to apples, but not apples to oranges either. More like to oranges to madarins. Let me preface by also saying, I like my Honzo a heck of a lot more.

You asked for an opinion so; if you can snag a Pike for $100 more than a Fox 34, THEN DO IT. I did not have major issues with my Fox 34 (2012). I have had none with my Pike(...s...one on a Tallboy LTc and one on the Honzo). FWIW, I was happy with the Fox 34 while I had it...

The dampener in the Pike is where I "feel" the biggest difference. Low speed compression is less harsh on the Pike. Pike feels more plush, and less bottom out. Pike is a more pleasant feeling fork IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Get the Pike, but hunt down a deal online -- you can find one for ~650 or less. Steep&cheap, sometimes amazon, etc.

mtbr member
    Get the Pike, but hunt down a deal online -- you can find one for ~650 or less. Steep&cheap, sometimes amazon, etc.
    Damn, he's right...$650 for a Pike cannot be beat.
    Pike RCT3 Fork - 29in 140mm MaxleLite15 - Shop Deep Discounts On Bikes and Components | Steep & Cheap

Plan #123-D
    Which fork for my Honzo? 140mm Fox or 120mm White Brothers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1880.jpg  

Last edited by The_Aaron; 04-09-2015 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    jrlyons21: I appreciate your advice immensely. Your experience was essentially what I was looking for - someone who had dealt with all the options. I was leaning toward the Fox, (LBS advice) but now...honestly, you made my decision harder but, again, I appreciate it.

As for Steep & Cheap, I'm going to shy away from that.

The_Aaron: Your fork looks like it's in excellent condition, is it on eBay?

Thanks y'all!

Plan #123-D
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboPenguin View Post
    jrlyons21: I appreciate your advice immensely. Your experience was essentially what I was looking for - someone who had dealt with all the options. I was leaning toward the Fox, (LBS advice) but now...honestly, you made my decision harder but, again, I appreciate it.

As for Steep & Cheap, I'm going to shy away from that.

The_Aaron: Your fork looks like it's in excellent condition, is it on eBay?

Thanks y'all!
    Fox is now on the Honzo - first time trying 140mm.
    Last edited by The_Aaron; 04-09-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Norđwegr
    140mm & 51mm offset was great on my 2013

mtbr member
    This is what I would buy today for the Honzo. Hard to argue with the price.
    konahonzo

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have to say, I really disliked the XL 2015 when I first saw it. I got to check one out in person today and it is really growing on me! I like the unique look of the gusset and the graphics are sick!
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I have to say, I really disliked the XL 2015 when I first saw it. I got to check one out in person today and it is really growing on me! I like the unique look of the gusset and the graphics are sick!
    I wasn't a fan of the looks when I ordered my '15, but in the flesh, it's really looking good!

mtbr member
    Finished my 2015 Honzo today. Size L.

Stock build, with changes:
    Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t / WTB KOM i25 wheels, tubeless
    OneUp 42t+16t w/ RADr cage and 30t chainring
    Deore XT Shadow+ derailleur
    Shimano Saint i-spec shifter
    Oury lock-on grips
    KS Lev dropper post
    Kona Wah Wah pedals

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo01.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo02.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo03.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo04.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo05.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo06.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo07.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo08.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo09.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo10.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo11.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo12.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo13.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo14.jpg
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Where is a good place to find a Honzo frame to start a build on? This will be my first build so I'm learning. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishermanPNW View Post
    Where is a good place to find a Honzo frame to start a build on?
    Any bike shop that sells Kona bikes should be able to order one for you. They are also available at bikeman.com

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Any bike shop that sells Kona bikes should be able to order one for you. They are also available at bikeman.com
    Right on. Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Agree. I wasn't crazy about the looks at first either, but didn't care after I rode is a few times. Then it's uniqueness really started to grow on me. There not another bike out there that looks similar to the Honzo that I know of.

And side note, the wife said it was a good looking bike rolling through the woods.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishermanPNW View Post
    Where is a good place to find a Honzo frame to start a build on? This will be my first build so I'm learning. Any help is appreciated.
    I had to wait a bit for mine, but in British Columbia the price was CDN$499 +5% tax. Nice to order something that was actually cheaper in Canada.

The frame DID NOT come with the Maxle, so budget accordingly.

mtbr member
    Gettin' the Orca ready for the hardpack:

2.35 Hans swapped for 2.4 Ardent on the front and 2.35 Nobby Nic swapped for a 2.35 Ikon rear.

And...gears are gonzo. 1x1 with Endless Cog setup 32 x 20.

Pics when I'm donzo.

mtbr member
    I'm patiently waiting for someone to run one green and one blue grip on the 2015 frameset. That's what I would do.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm patiently waiting for someone to run one green and one blue grip on the 2015 frameset. That's what I would do.
    Genius! If anyone wants to buy the blue grips I'll trade one with you...

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Your gonna like my new NOX decals eurospek...

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Is anyone running the Kona with a 51mm offset Pike?

I'm looking to do a build of a Kona Honzo, and as Bikeman are lovely enough to offer frame only to little old Aussie's, I can buy the parts I want for it.
    Anyway, I know the Honzo doesn't come specced with the 51mm offset, but a 46mm Revelation, and I was planning on running it at 140mm, just curious as to what people's impressions are on what it does to the bike. Many of you running the new 2015 frames with longer forks?

Also, I take it the 2015 version of the Honzo has little to no trouble accommodating the 27.5x2.8 WTB rubbers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post

I'm looking to do a build of a Kona Honzo, and as Bikeman are lovely enough to offer frame only to little old Aussie's, I can buy the parts I want for it.
    Anyway, I know the Honzo doesn't come specced with the 51mm offset, but a 46mm Revelation, and I was planning on running it at 140mm, just curious as to what people's impressions are on what it does to the bike. Many of you running the new 2015 frames with longer forks?

Also, I take it the 2015 version of the Honzo has little to no trouble accommodating the 27.5x2.8 WTB rubbers?
    Been on a 15' Honzo for almost 4 months now and ran it with stock 120 Rev until I finally got a Pike last month. Went with 46mm offset since Kona recommended that to me and said you will lose some of the playfulness with slower steering with the 51mm offset and that they feel the Honzo rides and handles better with 46. Pike came in at 140 and I ran it like that for only a week, since it felt too tall (BB too high, standover raised, reach shortened with my 35mm stem and overall a little too chopped out on the climbs especially, jumping was fine though, that was about all since I didn't think it cornered as well in 140). I bought a 120 and 130 air shaft to see which one feels the best. Installed the 120 first a couple of weeks ago and I have been pretty content with that. For some reason the Pike 120 feels taller than the Rev 120. The axle/crown height is only 3 mm taller, but Pike runs a little higher in the travel to me with better control throughout, so feel like it is a bigger fork than Rev 120. If you do a lot of climbing and still want to hug and rip the corners and trail in the downs, the Pike 120 with about 28% sag with 2-6 clicks of compression in open setting, 4 tokens, rebound 7-8 clicks out from full slow feels pretty good to me for slaying fast trails. My BB with 120 Rev with 2.4 tires at 30 psi was 11.9" and now 12.1" with Pike 120.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post

I'm running my 2015 Honzo with a X-Fusion Trace at 140mm. It's a 51mm offset. I was worried about the climbing, but it's climbing everything I throw at it. I might play with the travel to see how that impacts the cornering, but once again, it seems to be doing just fine and I'm appreciating the extra travel.

I'm coming off a Salsa El Mariachi. The El Mar is a "springy-er" frame to be sure. It feels more lively on the climbs and carves the corners a little better, but the Honzo really comes into its own when you start to push it harder and pick up speed over the rough stuff.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I should probably qualify it a little more.
    I've been riding my SB-66c pretty much exclusively since September last year, and that's running a Vorsprung Can on a Float X and 160mm Pikes on it. That is a slack, low and long bike to say the least, and probably too a large bike for where I live and most of the riding I do. It's mainly loose rocks and pinch climbs out here, nothing that you slog out or can't get out of the way quickly with a decent out of the saddle effort.

Given how low slung the Honzo is, I didn't think BB level was going to be too much of a problem, and I was under the impression the reduced trail from a 51mm offset made the steering feel faster (give the same HA).

I've ridden a mates Kona Explosif with a 120mm Revelation on it, and that was a great feeling bike out here. I'm guessing the 120mm is probably a more balanced and appropriate travel setting, especially given the larger wheels. But there are a few options to go with, and prices vary on the Pikes depending. Curious to know if the longer travel and Larger offset feels comparable to the smaller offset and shorter.

Cheers for the responses guys.