Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks!
    `12 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er HT
    `10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR - Sold

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    I just had my frame powder coated as well; a double coat of flat black. Do you have a line on frame decals by chance? I am waiting on "Joe" to get back with me from Kona on the availability of a factory set.

BTW, did you PC just for the color or was it to replace the crappy factory paint like I had to do?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    BTW, did you PC just for the color or was it to replace the crappy factory paint like I had to do?
    Mainly just wanted a different color, plus my local PC shop's price was very reasonable.

I hit some issues with mine, pressing in a king i7 headset. Head tube was undersized, plus I botched the install. Ended up sending the headset back to King, and getting the frame faced & reamed (although there was no paint inside the headtube). If you plan to use the same headset, should be OK, but if you're switching headsets after paint I would recommend locating an LBS with a 44mm reamer.

mtbr member
    Anyone else experienced with a front mech setup on Honzo?

Kona Honey Badger. I mean Honzo.

mtbr member
    I just had my frame powder coated as well; a double coat of flat black. Do you have a line on frame decals by chance? I am waiting on "Joe" to get back with me from Kona on the availability of a factory set.

I'd like to see that!
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    I'll post some pics up soon...

mtbr member
    I'll post some pics up soon...
    Would love to see it.

It would be cool if one could replicate Knolly's stealth black look, matte black frame and shiny black decals.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I totally agree. That would be sick!

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ...matte black frame and shiny black decals. :thumbsup

That's the look I am going for right there!

EDIT - ordered a set of decals from fleabay for $15 shipped from the UK...hope they are not matte.
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 01-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any suggestions on the proper headset assembly for a tapered steerer on the 2013 frame?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Any suggestions on the proper headset assembly for a tapered steerer on the 2013 frame?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    It's been covered so many times.

Cane Creek 40

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Upper Assembly

Cane Creek 110
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110 EC44/40 1.5" Lower Assembly
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 110-Series ZS44 1 1/8" Upper Assembly

Chris King Inset7
    Universal Cycles -- Chris King Griplock InSet 7 Tapered Headset

Nukerproof
    Nukeproof Warhead 44IETS Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have a CC40 and would definitely buy it again, anything above that is just bike bling.

There's also a Hope headset that fits, its lower cup is huge and most likely will have to be special ordered via LBS from Hope UK directly.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I've already seen this thread- Switched out my Paradox for a Honzo. Yeah... - so I have an idea of what the 16" looks like built up and with an approx. 5'8" person on top of it.

Problem is: it looks small to me any more. I thought I'd settled in on 29ers with ~23" effective top tube length with about a 90mm stem, but since Kona is measuring all their dimensions off of a topped out fork, forgive me for being skeptical that the 16" Honzo will actually ever hit that number when you ride it irl (or, heaven forfend, tune the fork down to a slightly lower travel setting). Seems it would be a bit shorter, both horizontally and vertically.

So here's my question to you all. Is anyone 5'8" riding the Medium Honzo, or have you all just gone for the Small? I'm just a smidgen over that height and have longer legs - my current bike has a bit more than 32" standover topped out - and was planning on building one up from a frame.

*Edit for typo*

mtbr member
    90mm stem has no place on a frame like Honzo. Anyway, go for S with very short stem and live happily ever after. You're 5'8", so unless you can scratch your feet with your hands without bending over (and considering the intended purpose of the bike like Honzo), 24" effective TT is too long for you.

mtbr member
    Wait a sec, my foot's itchy...

I guess I'm too hung up on the look. The front center of the medium frame is *clearly* too large for me. Herp derp.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey p4nh4ndle
    Same height range, I had a year+ on a medium Canfield Yelli Screamy (listed as 23.75 ETT) and it fit awesome. Comparing to the 16" Honzo Geometry is very interesting; the 16" Honzo actually has a longer wheelbase despite having a shorter top tube and shorter chainstays. How does this happen? It's all the seat angle. To get the chainstays so short, Kona steepened the seat angle to make clearance for the rear wheel, which makes the effective TT shorter. Run a layback seatpost (or get out of the saddle) and you get that top tube length back.

The head tube and seat tube are also shorter, which is really just aesthetics- assuming you have a long enough seat post- 350mm minimum!

Playdead's also in our size range and likes his small.

Caveat...it's still a compact fit, some our height will prefer the 18".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    Ok, so I've already seen this thread- Switched out my Paradox for a Honzo. Yeah... - so I have an idea of what the 16" looks like built up and with an approx. 5'8" person on top of it.

Problem is: it looks small to me any more. I thought I'd settled in on 29ers with ~23" effective top tube length with about a 90mm stem, but since Kona is measuring all their dimensions off of a topped out fork, forgive me for being skeptical that the 16" Honzo will actually ever hit that number when you ride it irl (or, heaven forfend, tune the fork down to a slightly lower travel setting). Seems it would be a bit shorter, both horizontally and vertically.

So here's my question to you all. Is anyone 5'8" riding the Medium Honzo, or have you all just gone for the Small? I'm just a smidgen over that height and have longer legs - my current bike has a bit more than 32" standover topped out - and was planning on building one up from a frame.

*Edit for typo*
    Are you going to be running a 140 or 120 mm fork?

mtbr member
    I was planning on a 120: probably a reba. We're not too too aggressive here in SW PA.

meatier showers
    I was planning on a 120: probably a reba. We're not too too aggressive here in SW PA.
    Don't make the wrong mistake. 140mm fork is the way to go, IMO. Regardless of terrain. HTA = sweet! And then you do a red rocks road trip!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    It would appear I've joined some kind of cult here. When do I get my black Nikes«?

mtbr member
    I ran 120mm at first. Now I'm running 140. The extra travel really makes the bike more lively.

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    I ran 120mm at first. Now I'm running 140. The extra travel really makes the bike more lively.
    I am contemplating pulling the spacer and going 140. As climbing is not my strongpoint, have you noticed any ill effects while climbing with the extra travel?...love the custom rig, btw
    Last edited by CBizzie; 01-09-2013 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    So what's the 140 travel fork of choice these days? I sprang for an F29 when I got my other 29er - sadly still awol - damn you Pittsburgh - but it seems, anecdotally, that while Fox has continued to increase their prices, their QC has gotten a bit slack. They've also gone almost exclusively to that bladder damper system; it seems a PITA to work on.

I like the idea of the on-the-fly multi-travel options that are being offered. Again, they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

I know the sub-top-tier Revelation (RCT3?) has its detractors here because of fork height, but it seems like the most consistent workhorse fork and seems easy to source, to boot.

There is still too much snow on the ground here. I have too much time to think about this stuff.

mtbr member
    On second thought, strike the Rev. I'm leaning towards White Brothers, although that could easily change before I actually pull the trigger on a fork. All travel internals plus a threshold lockout mechanism kinda sells it for me.

Anybody have any strong opinions about why this is a bad idea?

meatier showers
    On second thought, strike the Rev. I'm leaning towards White Brothers, although that could easily change before I actually pull the trigger on a fork. All travel internals plus a threshold lockout mechanism kinda sells it for me.

Anybody have any strong opinions about why this is a bad idea?
    I'm a RS Rev fan. Got two, one on a DW Sultan and the other on the HonZo. I used to be a Fox guy but I never got full travel and my Fox forks didn't feel as plush in a linear way (hmmm... if that makes sense) compared to the Rev. WB is a bit too booteek to me... I've seen buds' WB forks suffer stiction, but I admit this was a few years ago. Maybe they're better nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    I am contemplating pulling the spacer and going 140. As climbing is not my strongpoint, have you noticed any ill effects while climbing with the extra travel?...love the custom rig, btw
    I was fearful that climbing (slow speed) manners might be a problem with a ~67║ HA... not so! The front end isn't too high (I'm running spacers under a rise stem plus rise bars, but then I'm 6'3") and I've never noticed any adverse wheel flop. Honestly, I'd try 160mm travel if there was a way to get it. Go for it!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Thanks! It climbs fine with 140. Didn't slow down my climbing at all. I never lock my fork out up hill so it's not like my fork is at 140 when I'm climbing out of the saddle. It's sagging. Try it out. You've got nothing to lose. You can always throw the spacers back in there. However, I do recommend you give it at least 3 or more rides to get used to the difference.

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast