Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 2,000 of 4239
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live if fort collins and goto to csu. I am from Santa Barbara.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Let me know how riding in the winter goes on that beast and what you ride. I've wanted to try a few of Fort Collins snowy trails on the Honzo but haven't had time so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I will! I havnt taken it on any dedicated trails yet but I have done some single track next to the bike paths around here. Im gonna try to get the smorgasborg for the rear soon after i buy my snowboard gear (another new sport for me lol). I have not met any other mtb'ers since i moved here since I am a bit of a hermit so if you ever make it up to north co let me know we could hit some trails lol my favorite trail here is blue sky which I am curious to try soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My two babies
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed-1.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed-2.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow!

A bike with a car fixed to it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Wow!

A bike with a car fixed to it!
    Dat VR6 exhaust note though. I love the MKIV R32.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Doesn't handle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Haters gon hate lol i went from a 3 cylinder geo metro to a 88 chevy s10 to this baby so I think it handles fine! lol

mtbr member
    Thinking of building up a Honzo with the new Enve Rigid Fork. Anybody else built up a rigid honzo? What is the AC measurement?>

mtbr member
    Bottom bracket height could be a real concern w/a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Thats why I would like to know the A TO C measurement of the fork its not listed on rs website

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have been tooling around with the idea with buying an rdo niner carbon fork! I think if it works, it would just show how versatile the honzo is. Dare you even put drop bars on :0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Thinking of building up a Honzo with the new Enve Rigid Fork. Anybody else built up a rigid honzo? What is the AC measurement?>
    How We Roll: Montana Miller?s fat-front Kona Honzo | Dirt Rag
    konahonzo

Norđwegr
    That looks quite cool, something to consider once the best parts on my honzo end up on a fs.

mtbr member
    The Krampus fork is 100mm suspension corrected, and with the extra diameter of a 3" tire, that setup might not lower the BB too much. Personally I found the BB low at 120 up front, and workable at 130.

mtbr member
    I'm starting a 2015 Honzo build with some left over parts from a Stumpjumper. Wanting to make Western North Carolina tribute bike. I'm 6'4", 200lbs, 25yo. I'm brand new to the forum, but I've been riding bikes, working on bikes, and building trail for 8 years.

Gonna look something like this:

2015 Honzo XL Frame - LBS
    Wheelset - Stans Flows laced with DT spokes to i9 Torches - LBS
    Fork - Pike 120mm - LBS
    Dropper - RockShox Reverb or KS Lev? - LBS
    Stem - Race Face Atlas - Left overs
    Bars - Race Face Atlas - Left overs
    Headset - Cane Creek 110 - LBS
    Brakes - Shimano XT 180f/160r - Left overs
    Crankset & BB - Shimano XT - Left overs
    Chainring - 1x10 TBD (Endless Cycles 32T or RaceFace N/W 32T) - LBS
    Derailleur - Shimano XT GS Shadow+ - Left overs
    Cassette - Shimano XT 11-36 - Left overs
    Chain - TBD - LBS
    Tires - WIDE, TBD Ardent 2.4"? - LBS

Would like to hear feeback! Frame should be in soon, will post progress and pictures

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Solid build. I'd go for 140 Pike up front. And a Hans Dampf 2.35 Snakeskin up there too. Great setup for WNC. (I dug a bunch of trail around Boone, Blowing Rock, canyons, yancy's, etc. years ago... but go back to ride when I can.)

For rear rubber, Ardent or maybe the new Nic. It looks great. Some folks hate on Schwalbe, but I've had very few problems in NC and western PA. Plenty of rocks.

Also, I really dig my new 30mm inner / 35mm outer width LB carbons. With a Nic 2.35 in the back of my 2012 Honzo, I have barely enough clearance. The 2015 chainstays are wider @ 2.7. (Too bad they aren't 3.25...)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Collins.

I'm glad you said that about the 140. I actually ordered a 140 Pike from the LBS (no 120s in stock) and the 120 air chamber so that I could slam it. Might be a good coincidence: I can ride the 140 first and get a feel for if I want to change it or not.

I have a Tallboy LTc that's a 140 bike. This bike will be a return to finesse riding for me. Bikes have gotten so good over the past 5 years, that they've made me a lazy rider. I miss riding chunky stuff smoothly.

And thanks for the tire advice. I've never had Ardents. I've had the older Nics, but currently run High Roller II 2.35" on the Tallboy, Ikons 2.25" on the XTC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Word up. What's your LBS? The guys at Magic Cycles in Boone are solid. So many good shops in WNC... and in Pittsburgh.

I've got a 2012 Fox 34 140 on mine, and I rarely regret the "overkill." The lighter and stronger Pike will be even better, and will match the solidity of the Honzo's frame well, I'm sure. Also, 140 puts the BB at an ideal height, for me, on rocky/rooty trails.

One more thing: you might want to try the WTB KOM i25 instead of the Flows. IME, mounting is easier, and they're a bit lighter and wide, but plenty robust. (Though, if you like Stan's, they're proven.) Or just get those I9 Gravity Carbons...
    29\" Gravity

mtbr member
    I live in Knoxville, TN so my bike shop of choice is TVB (Tennessee Valley Bikes). Really cool shop with really cool people. I've been to Magic. Demo'd a bike at Rocky Knob from them.

That's why I picked the Pike. It's light, strong, and TVB got a hella good deal for one. I had a 2010 Talas 34 I was going to use, but couldn't pass up the deal. I do like the idea of a higher BB from the 140, but it's still just a weird concept for me to run a 140 on a hardtail...we will see.

I've been a Stan's Flow guy for years. They are 25.5 inner width, so they are the slightly (0.5mm) wider than the WTB KOM i25s. Are they any stiffer? They are 80g lighter. Hard to beat a Flow. I've never had any issues sealing up a Flow wheel, but I've been doing it for a while...know the tricks.

Yeah those Carbons...man...$$$

Norđwegr
    The first set I got for my Honzo was Hope hubs and Flow rims, the hubs were great but I hated the rims so I quickly retired that set. Moving on to Roam60s was amazing in comparison.

Maybe I'd keep the Flows around if the majority of my riding was heading down hills, but enjoying technical climbing as much as everything else I'd never recommend those boatanchors to anyone.

mtbr member
    Funny you mention the ROAM60s, my buddy just got a set. Yeah, the Flows are certainly not the lightest, but they are stout and I only climb so that I can bomb.

I can build up a set (both wheels) of these for $800, that's less that one ROAM60 front wheel build at about a 150g penalty. I just don't have that extra cash right now. Maybe later I'll pick up some NOX Composites carbon rims and lace them up to the i9s.

Plan #123-D
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlyons21 View Post
    I'm starting a 2015 Honzo build with some left over parts from a Stumpjumper. Wanting to make Western North Carolina tribute bike. I'm 6'4", 200lbs, 25yo. I'm brand new to the forum, but I've been riding bikes, working on bikes, and building trail for 8 years.

Gonna look something like this:

2015 Honzo XL Frame - LBS
    Wheelset - Stans Flows laced with DT spokes to i9 Torches - LBS
    Fork - Pike 120mm - LBS
    Dropper - RockShox Reverb or KS Lev? - LBS
    Stem - Race Face Atlas - Left overs
    Bars - Race Face Atlas - Left overs
    Headset - Cane Creek 110 - LBS
    Brakes - Shimano XT 180f/160r - Left overs
    Crankset & BB - Shimano XT - Left overs
    Chainring - 1x10 TBD (Endless Cycles 32T or RaceFace N/W 32T) - LBS
    Derailleur - Shimano XT GS Shadow+ - Left overs
    Cassette - Shimano XT 11-36 - Left overs
    Chain - TBD - LBS
    Tires - WIDE, TBD Ardent 2.4"? - LBS

Would like to hear feeback! Frame should be in soon, will post progress and pictures
    I think that build sounds awesome. I just finished building up (or I should say re-building, because I bought my Kona complete) my Honzo today with leftover parts from a few different bikes. I'm "downsizing" so I turned two bikes essentially into the Honzo - a full suspension geared 29er and a single speed rigid 29er. I was contemplating turning the Honzo into a rigid SS but thought that I might kill the fun for which this type of bike is known. Rebuild pics to follow.

PS - good on you for buying all that stuff from your LBS
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    I'm still considering making the Honzo a SS and using a Endless Bike cog (Sticking to the WNC theme). If I did that and NOX wheels, it really would be a WNC/East TN tribute bike.

Industry Nine - Asheville, NC
    Cane Creek - Fletcher, NC
    Endless Bike - Asheville, NC
    NOX Composites - Knoxville, TN

I really believe in supporting local business as much as possible. Sure, it is tempting to save $$$ sometimes and buy from the internet, but then $0 dollars are being funneled back into your own community where you eat, sleep, and play. Just not right, but that's just my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the rebuild.

Plan #123-D
    Go figure, I finish rebuilding my Honzo the day we get 6 inches of snow……

I bought a 2013 complete, as new old stock, from a brick & mortar bike shop in Kentucky this fall. I stripped the drivetrain immediately but rode it stock, as a single speed, a handful of times while I was deciding what exactly I wanted to change. Most fun going down on a bike I’ve ever experienced – worst climber however that I’ve ever experienced. Hopefully the upgrades will help out in this area. As a single speed, I had the sliders slammed as far forward as possible. Now that I just built it geared, I have the dropouts all the way back – perhaps this will help with the climbing. You purists are probably horrified that I’m riding this bike with the sliders all the way back ☺

Stock, as a single speed, size small, it weighed 31 lbs, which is the heaviest bike I’ve ever ridden.

Honestly, I wasn’t in the market for a Honzo, not even close, but stumbled on a deal that would introduce me to a new type of bike with very minimal financial risk - so I jumped.

Because it’s replacing two bikes – a full suspension geared 29er and a single speed rigid 29er – the rebuild had to be pretty XC friendly as I’ll still be doing all my regular flowy and mostly flat rides (I'm in Milwaukee). The parts are a mix of stuff from the other bikes that are now gone and stuff from the classifieds here:

Thomson post and 50mm stem
    Chromag 730mm bars
    XT crank and bb with 32T Race Face N/W ring
    2014 Revelation RC3 at 120mm
    Easton EC70 carbon wheels with Racing Ralph rear tire and Nobby Nic front tire
    1x10 with XTR shifter, XT 11-36 cassette, and ZEE derailleur
    Hayes Prime Pro brakes (the hoses will be trimmed eventually, so stop judging me).

Rebuilt, it weighs 27 lbs on the dot, which was a little heavier than I expected to be honest. I could’ve taken a couple other weight shortcuts (I was torn between this drivetrain and a 1x10 XO drivetrain in the parts bin) but think I ultimately made the right choice. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1017.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1010.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1011.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1014.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1015.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A salute to the local bike shop/parts parade -- we gotta join it when we can. Absolutely reciprocal. I'm saving up for I9 hubs now...

Also, wanted to encourage you to start off with it as a SS. It's a very good bike for it, as you'll likely stand up anyway to hammer those climbs before you descend. The only drawback is predictable -- you'll spin out if you're looking for velocity when the descents smooth out a bit. Though, with this bike, fun is the coin of the realm -- and, as you say, you're looking to improve your finesse. Having one gear certainly does that, as you likely know. No mech to bang is also wonderful.

Norđwegr
    27lb is very light compared to most of the honzos in here I'd dare say. Mine climbs just fine so I kind of wonder which bikes you've been on?

Sure it's nothing like my 19lb Scalpel on smooth trails, but that can't be expected with 4cm of added travel and a whole different approach to mntbiking.

Plan #123-D
    Good point Vegard - clearly it is not going to feel like my 20 lbs XC machines of past, so to compare it to such is ridiculous. Thanks for bringing me down a notch. Complaining about 27 lbs is a bit dumb - after all, I signed up for this!
    Last edited by The_Aaron; 11-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    I think I will start SS. Have a 32T for the front. Recommended cog?

Plan #123-D
    I think I will start SS. Have a 32T for the front. Recommended cog?
    I've had good luck with both Surly and On-One. Both are basic wide-based steel cogs. Also, I've used Endless and Rennen (both are aluminum and wide-based). They are nice too, but unless you want ano colors, not worth the extra cost in my opinion compared to a Surly or On-One.

Then, of course, there are Chris King stainless cogs. These are awesome - but I find $60 for a cog is hard to swallow.

If money were no object, I'd go King. If money were an object, I'd go On-One.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hello everyone,

Some sweet looking builds in here, it's got me chomping at the bit to get mine started! Below is my proposed build, any suggestions are totally welcome. I'm moving from a FS short-travel 29er XC bike that I tried to build into a trail bike, but have hit a wall with the geo/tire clearance. As a disclaimer, I work in the industry so cost is much less of an issue (I'm also recycling a bunch of the parts). I'm 6'1", 185 lbs, and I like to go fast.

FRAME: 2015 Honzo, size L
    FORK: 2015 Fox 36 Float, 140mm
    HEADSET: Chris King
    CRANKSET: Race Face Turbine Cinch, w/30t Wolf Tooth n/w ring
    CHAIN GUIDE: MRP AMg
    DRIVETRAIN: SRAM X9 10sp with Wolf Tooth cassette expander
    BRAKES: Shimano XT w/Ice Tech 180/160 rotors
    WHEELS: Ibis 941 carbon
    TIRES: WTB Weirwolf/Wolverine
    SEAT POST: KS Lev Integra, 31.6 x 150mm drop
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V
    STEM: Easton Haven 35 50mm
    HANDLEBARS: Easton Haven Carbon 35 750mm
    GRIPS: ODI Rogue

My main concern is the fork. I have a Pike on my other bike and it's awesome, but the Fox 36 has a shorter A-C distance and won't slack out the front end as much as a Pike. Additionally, Fox is local for me and I'd prefer to support them with this purchase.

I'm stoked to get this thing up and running! Let me know your thoughts

mtbr member
    Good call on the Turbine Cinch cranks - that's what I'm running and they're trick. Everything else looks good, although I might be tempted by the Ibis carbon bar to match those wheels. Also, I wouldn't worry about a2c for the fork - the Honzo really benefits from the slacker front end/higher BB. Can't go wrong either way though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Gobble Gobble
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed-2.26.50-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-unnamed.jpg

Norđwegr
    Nice! I envy having a climate like that

I found a brand new Devinci Atlas C frame in my size for $1000 this week so I'm going to give the Honzo parts a go on it. Will probably end up re-building the Honzo completely different compared to how it's now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks! Yeah, the Ibis cockpit stuff is nice but Easton is local too so I figured I'd try and spread the love with this build.

Good to know about the A-C stuff, it may come down to whether I want a black or gold fork at this point!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samshaffer16 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Some sweet looking builds in here, it's got me chomping at the bit to get mine started! Below is my proposed build, any suggestions are totally welcome. I'm moving from a FS short-travel 29er XC bike that I tried to build into a trail bike, but have hit a wall with the geo/tire clearance. As a disclaimer, I work in the industry so cost is much less of an issue (I'm also recycling a bunch of the parts). I'm 6'1", 185 lbs, and I like to go fast.

My main concern is the fork. I have a Pike on my other bike and it's awesome, but the Fox 36 has a shorter A-C distance and won't slack out the front end as much as a Pike. Additionally, Fox is local for me and I'd prefer to support them with this purchase.

Wow, that reads like a serious killer build! Looking forward to pics, and i'm curious about the weight. Hope you'll post that up once you're done!
    happy tooltime

ps: you probably wont need that chainguide though

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Rynee! It should be sweet, gonna be my backup bike for when I'm smashing parts on my big travel rig.

The guide is probably a little overkill but I'd rather have it and not need it. Plus I like that it has an integrated bash guard to protect my chainring from all the log hops around here.

It'll be a little while before I get it all together but I'll definitely get pics/weight posted when I do!

mtbr member
    Bummed: just found out my frame won't be here until late January.

Another topic to distract me...wheels. Anybody ran the Velocity Blunt SS on their Honzo or other 29" trail bike? 30mm wide (26.6mm internal), 20mm tall, 425 grams. Interesting to say the least. A little concerned about the durability of such a wide/light rim on a shred sled like the Honzo. Original plan was to stick to Flows w/ i9s...like the past 3 wheelsets I've had but these may be worth a shot at over 100 grams lighter and slightly wider? Opinions?

mtbr member
    Thanks Rynee! It should be sweet, gonna be my backup bike for when I'm smashing parts on my big travel rig.

The guide is probably a little overkill but I'd rather have it and not need it. Plus I like that it has an integrated bash guard to protect my chainring from all the log hops around here.

It'll be a little while before I get it all together but I'll definitely get pics/weight posted when I do!
    sounds like a good plan! I'm curious about your primary ride if that tricked out honzo will be your backup

good point regarding the guide. I'm running a bashring to protect the nw chainring, so the weight savings are probably minimal...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yo, JR. I had the original white Flows on my Honzo (and still do for backup), but the best upgrade I made was lighter rims and rubber. (And the original Flows were a little lighter than the EX.) I know you want to stay local/regional with your sources, so maybe you can spring for NOX carbon? [I went with LB carbon partially because *most* carbon rims are manufactured in Xiamen, no matter then domestic designer. My rationale, not entirely ethical.] I run a 12 x 142 Hope 2 hub with Endless and Surly SS kits/cogs. And I swap that wheel over to my geared racer.

Though, I do have a friend that runs Blunt SS on his very Honzo-esque Kish Ti custom (out of NC) frame, and he digs them.

mtbr member
    Collins, thanks for the suggestions. Like you, I do want the ability to swap from geared to SS since I have the parts for both already and go to Pisgah/DuPont several times/year with no intent on running SS there.

So that's kinda what got me on the trail of the Blunt, the light weight. The NOX wheels (395 g Teo, and 430 g Farlow) are not that much lighter than the Blunt SS (425). Although I'm sure they are exponentially more stiff and ride friendly. But the Flows (545 g) are the outlier in the bunch. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with them. What is you friend's riding style? XC? Trail? I don't allow myself to use the E word...

And FYI, I could be wrong but, I'm 99% sure even NOX doesn't make their wheels here. They are most likely made overseas as well. Still yet, a viable option. And also BTW, Velocity actually makes the Blunt in Jacksonville, FL.

I also took your advice with the Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and Nobby Nic 2.35 in rear!

mtbr member
    Hello everyone,

A little...OK a lot envious of the pro deal budget...Looks like it will be AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My friend had only good things to say about the Blunts. Like any wheel, the builder makes a big difference, and they were built very solidly, with DT Competition spokes; I forget his hub.

We routinely do ~2000 ft climbs and descents, often very rocky and rooty, Pisgah-like stuff around the middle of PA and Western PA, like much of the Appalachians; also tons of punchy steep shorter stuff. 40 mile / 5k+ total elevation rides. He's a strong rider, and many of our strongest riders in the area race SS; he usually places around 3rd. I wouldn't sweat running SS in Pisgah -- just start at 32:20, and bring a 19 and 18.
    I started to be a fan of bigger rings ("moment" is the term), so I like 34:19/20 or even 36:21/22. Of course, you should adjust your ratio according to your preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I think this is an issue but not sure, my fork (stock revelation set at 120) is stuck at 12% sag and measures 4.5" of stanchion showing. I think this is different than when it was new but I'm not sure. I know negative travel is normal but it does not pull up at all with any amount of force. Is this normal for this fork or is there an issue?

mtbr member
    mtnbiker831, is the Rev a dual air, 2012 MY?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

No it's a 13 rev single air. Pretty sure the negative air spring is just completely not working. It's getting opened up and checked out to see what's wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    heyyyy there,do you guys know the weight of the new,lighter,2015 frame? im just wondering about the weight reduction from my '13 frame...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Little help from those who lengthened the stock fork to 140

Previously mentioned is the part number 11.4018.010.070

I found it here at universal cycles.

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Solo Air Spring Kits

My question is what else will I need to do the swap? A mechanic buddy of mine is willing to do the work for me, I just want to make sure I dont need anything else aside from the part from universal.

mtbr member

Recently converted my '14 Honzo to singlespeed. Starting off with a 32x21 setup which works well for most of the riding I do. I'll grab a 19th cog once the legs have built up a bit as it is a bit slow going on the flats but I may regret that when the hills arrive!

Mods include

Raceface 32t NW ring
    Surly 21t cog
    Reverb Dropper
    Haven bars
    Haven stem

Thats all she needs! brilliant bike im glad I sold the full susser for this I can attack the downs just as hard and its easier to pedal up hill and now that im singlespeed, maintenance is peasy..... Well once I take a link out now the chain has stretched

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by er cobra View Post
    heyyyy there,do you guys know the weight of the new,lighter,2015 frame? im just wondering about the weight reduction from my '13 frame...
    I heard it was pretty negligible, but could be wrong. I specifically asked about the XL difference though. I can't see how that massive seat tube gusset saved much weight, but I don't really care.

To me, this bike is not about the weight, its about getting back to the basics and having fun while riding. Steel has some characteristics I have missed over the years, and some I haven't...but components getting much lighter has allowed even a steel frame bike to be tolerably "heavy."

Your bike is incorrigible
    I may be insane here, but I'm thinking I need an XL frame.

I've been looking around for steel HT 29ers with slack HT angles. I was really interested in the Canfield N9. That was until I stepped aboard a L Honzo and XL Taro for comparison's sake. My butt was hanging off the rear of the Honzo, and I just felt more comfortable (maybe a little stretched but not horribly so) on the Taro. Now the strange part is I'm only 6'1.5" tall with a 33" inseam. This may also be due to the fact that my main ride for the past few months has been an XL Raleigh XXIXg with a 90mm stem. I've been zipping all over Durango on that thing. I just stopped feeling confident at Phil's World with a HT angle of 71 degrees. So some one either tell me I'm crazy for wanting to be so stretched out, or confirm that I am in my right mind. The Honzo is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Canfield, and now that I know I can set up a front derailleur...

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    6' tall here and riding an XL 2012 Honzo with a 35mm stem and 750mm bars. Works very well for me on all my XC and more trail/technical rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What's the correct King headset for the Honzo, and what is the correct bottom bracket standard if I'm upgrading from the FSA and to a King?
    Last edited by jonbek; 12-22-2014 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Will this headset work with a 2012? FSA Orbit ITA Headset It is an Fsa orbit ITA. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Merry Xmas! Quick question, does kona make thru axle dropouts for the Honzo? Wondering if they do and would fit on my Unit.

mtbr member
    Not sure what brand but my mate grabbed one from tbsm for his unit

mtbr member
    Cheers, I couldn't find anything on there. LBS are going to see if they can get a hold of one when business resumes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Merry Xmas! Quick question, does kona make thru axle dropouts for the Honzo? Wondering if they do and would fit on my Unit.
    The 142x12 Maxle dropouts from the Honzo work on the Unit (and vice-versa).

You may be able to find someone to trade as anyone wanting to run a S.Spd specific hub on a Honzo (King, Hope, DT) needs the standard QR dropouts.

mtbr member

HonSnow!

A few pics of my Honzo in its current form on a recent outing in the snow.

This is my favorite configuration yet:
    - Charger Expert wheelset w/upgraded steel freehub
    - 130mm Revelation
    - 100mm Reverb
    - 1x10 SLX drivetrain w/RaceFace Turbine cranks + 30t Cinch ring
    - SLX brakes w/XT rotors
    - On-One Ultralight stem + On-One Knuckleball carbon bar
    - On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 (front) + Smorgasbord 2.25 (rear) tires

I'd like to note that the On-One components, despite being cheap, are all fantastic - especially the tires, which are the best winter tires I've found for the PNW.

The Honzo did great in the snow. I was primarily following snowmobile trails and had no issues with float or traction. I even had a close encounter with a very large moose cow and her calf!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0590.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0610.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0604.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-sauber-schr-g.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-sauber-seite.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's my 14. Rather stock at the moment other than the new Turbine cranks. I've got a dropper on the way and the new Ibis 941 wheels. So stoked on this bike.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5515.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    The 142x12 Maxle dropouts from the Honzo work on the Unit (and vice-versa).

You may be able to find someone to trade as anyone wanting to run a S.Spd specific hub on a Honzo (King, Hope, DT) needs the standard QR dropouts.
    Oh is that cause those hubs (SS versions) only come in QR?

mtbr member
    Good news. I decided to go with the NOX Farlows laced to I9s. Should be here soon, but no frame until end of Jan/first of Feb. At least I do know it is on it's way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Oh is that cause those hubs (SS versions) only come in QR?
    The best SS hubs (Chris King & DT 240) are bolt on, and require 10mm open (QR) drop-outs.

I have an extra set of Maxle dropouts (with axle) that I would trade straight up for a set of QR dropouts. Not a Maxle fan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

13 Honzo ss

This is my first build, nothing too special, built almost entirely with used parts for under $1,300

-2013 Medium frame
    -Rockshox Reverb
    -Raceface Chester
    -Raceface 30t chain ring
    -Niner bar & seatpost
    -Ergon grips
    -90mm Kona stem
    -Wtb pure v
    -Forte platforms
    -Stans Flow w/Conti xking
    -Stans arch (used) w/Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    -White Industries Eno
    -Magura MT 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150111_164701.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150111_164610.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20150111_164808.jpg  

Last edited by jiveturkey; 01-12-2015 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
    Here's my 14. Rather stock at the moment other than the new Turbine cranks. I've got a dropper on the way and the new Ibis 941 wheels. So stoked on this bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	952588
    I really like the gumwall tires.

mtbr member
    Nicely done...and rockin' flats! Can't beat that price tag...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRLDeFweG2k

Video of a short Technical DH run in the South Foothills of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, NM riding my 2014 Kona Honzo set up single speed. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just placed an order with my LBS for a Honzo frame. Apparently a new batch available in late Feb/early March. Can't wait!

mtbr member

Mount Constitution

Orcas Island. More pictures on my blog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0723.jpg  

mtbr member
    Need input and discussion to distract me for the next week while I wait in pure agony for my frame, so...

NOX Farlows are begging for some tread and I have the following tires in my garage: Hans Dampf 2.35" Snakeskin TrailStar, Nobby Nic 2.35" Snakeskin PaceStar, Ardent 2.4" EXO Dual, Ikon 2.35" EXO 3C.

So what goes where? I'm thinking Ardent front/Ikon rear...

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yup

mtbr member
    Large, mostly stock 2015 Honzo here that I just picked up last month for great deal. Only added 35mm length stem, Chromag TM saddle and 6" dropper post, 2.4 rear tire, Mallet pedals, and 30t ring. Waiting on Zee RD/shifter and XT cassette to replace the Deore stuff.

I have about a dozen or so rides on it now and really coming to love and appreciate the versatility of the ride. First HT in almost 15 years with only riding 6" travel bikes prior, and is first ever big wheel bike. At first, had a bit of a rough start with bike and just was not digging on it as well as my trail FS bikes. After putting on a shorter stem, front end came alive (1" longer TT and reach on large frame than what i used to) and took a bit for the fork to bed in. Now, I find myself reaching for the Honzo before two other trusty trail bikes, especially when weather is not ideal. I feel I can pretty much ride any trail on the Honzo no matter how steep or long going up or down. Today I busted out a 2,200 ft grind/descent in just 2.5 miles after another hour trail ride prior. I feel Kona totally dialed in the geometry for do-all climbing to rowdy descending with just a 120mm length fork while still being really playful hitting all the trail features. Even hit a good FR/dirt jump gap line at night with good confidence and control. Something I never imagine I would do on big wheeled HT. I initially had CS in shortest setting at 16.3", but felt a little harder climbing (front end wanted to pop up a little too easily and bike felt a little to compact in general). I backed out CS just a smidge to 16.5" and feels perfect for up/down ripping.

Great job Kona, this bike is a lot of fun to ride, which I never thought was possible on a big-wheeled HT, at least compared to my squish bikes.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys, I've been riding for quite some time and have been mostly on 5 - 6" rigs the past few years. The want for a 29er has been very strong in the past and I can no longer ignore it.

I'm considering a Kona Honzo build, coming from a DW Turner 5 Spot. I know it'll be a big change especially this is my 1st big wheeled bike.

Any inputs from the guys here who transitioned from a 26" fully to the Honzo?

mtbr member
    I can hardly tell the difference going from a zesty on the downs except its a lil bit slower and you have to concentrate on lines more.....but it rails faster, climbs better, rolls better and feels better!

Ill never go back to aluminium or full suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I initially had CS in shortest setting at 16.3", but felt a little harder climbing (front end wanted to pop up a little too easily and bike felt a little to compact in general). I backed out CS just a smidge to 16.5" and feels perfect for up/down ripping.

Great job Kona, this bike is a lot of fun to ride, which I never thought was possible on a big-wheeled HT, at least compared to my squish bikes.
    As a big guy, I also enjoy the longer CSs on bikes so that I can keep the front down on climbs. Love that the Honzo is adjustable!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

School teacher builds Honzo art project with parts laying around. AKA cheap build.

1x8
    Old grip shifter ( yuk)
    Recovered old seat
    Paint striped, repainted, and cleared
    2012 frame
    At build time I have 29er wheel with thru axle and 650b with QR.since I have QR dropouts........ A 7.5-9er honzo. Maybe the first of its kind!

There you go. Super fun bike to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by static_x3 View Post
    I can hardly tell the difference going from a zesty on the downs except its a lil bit slower and you have to concentrate on lines more.....but it rails faster, climbs better, rolls better and feels better!

Ill never go back to aluminium or full suspension.
    i fully second that statement
    went from a 2010 abra cadabra (27speed) to 2013 honzo (10sp n/w, 30/36. Climbs are a bit tougher but not as bad as expected. I did buy a 42t one up range extender for alpine climbs, but have not mounted it yet.
    totally prefer the stability of hattori honzo, and the rollover capabilty of 29er combined with the steel frame on the downs, to wobbly abra

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Travisandcindy View Post
    1x8
    Old grip shifter ( yuk)
    Recovered old seat
    Paint striped, repainted, and cleared
    2012 frame
    At build time I have 29er wheel with thru axle and 650b with QR.since I have QR dropouts........ A 7.5-9er honzo. Maybe the first of its kind!

There you go. Super fun bike to ride.
    That thing deserves to be singlespeed

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by static_x3 View Post
    That thing deserves to be singlespeed
    Version 1 was in fact singlespeed, but my old man knees did not share your sentiment.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks! Going to be stoked in a week or so when my Ibis 941 wheels show up. This bike is a blast, the weight cane a downer sometimes, but whatever.

mtbr member
    Anbody else have issues with getting frames from Kona? Ordered the XL in November and I was told it would be here in the middle of January. December rolls around and was told end of January. Now I'm told the middle of February? Is this normal or no?

I do not fault the LBS at all, they are just as frustrated as me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anbody else have issues with getting frames from Kona? Ordered the XL in November and I was told it would be here in the middle of January. December rolls around and was told end of January. Now I'm told the middle of February? Is this normal or no?

I do not fault the LBS at all, they are just as frustrated as me.
    I went into my LBS in mid-Jan and their computers said there were no frames available. I asked them to call the rep, and the rep indicated more frames coming in mid-late Feb, so I put down a deposit. Hopefully it works out.

mtbr member
    Eff

mtbr member
    Meanwhile...Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0855%5B1%5D.jpg

NOX Composites Farlow rims, i9 Torch hubs, DT comp spokes and nips, Schwalbe rubber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @JR: Fine wheels there -- dandy sourcing as well, natch.

@~Frame availability: Kona does relatively small production runs to keep demand high, that's all; it's frustrating for shops and riders sometimes, but generally good for Kona's bottom line.

@Travis: Is that Montana's old frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @JR: Fine wheels there -- dandy sourcing as well, natch.

@~Frame availability: Kona does relatively small production runs to keep demand high, that's all; it's frustrating for shops and riders sometimes, but generally good for Kona's bottom line.
    Thanks, somebody on here's suggestion if I do recall...HA! What is "natch"?

I'm just super anxious to build this thing up. I have everything ready, just waiting, not so patiently to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quality repays its cost in its use/experience, right? I expect you're going to be very pleased with how those wheels ride. Great that you were able to spring for them.

One note you've likely already thought of: get an accurate pressure gauge, and keep your psi on the high end of what you normally use, just to keep you away from having to use that "crash replacement". (Tho, I expect that NOX carbon is tough, and with the width you'll be able to use "lower" pressure; you can always work the psi down if you feel you need more traction... of course.)

I hear ye. Just go practice manuals on the Tallboy, then you'll be cracking up about how easy they are on the Honzo... when it does arrive.

Natch = naturally. (I think of JJ Cale there...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @Collins: yes it was Montana's bike. Started out ugly green.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am about to purchase a set of maxxis minion dhf 2.3's for some technical riding on my Honzo and was wondering if this tire will fit on the rear of my 2013 Honzo? You guys have any experience with this tire?

mtbr member
    It should be fine. I run a 2.3 DHR II on the rear of mine, before that I had 2.4 Ardent there with the dropouts all the way forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks! If the Ardent fits with the dropouts all the way forward, I am good to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My kona got stolen today! for what its worth its a 2013 large honzo brown. Ft Collins, Colorado!!

mtbr member
    That's crappy. I hope you can recover it. I still look for my wife's bike that was stolen 3 years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you, tragic loss lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The wide wheels are on, riding tomorrow!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-tumblr_nj2fqzoqmh1qicta3o1_1280.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_nj2fqzOQmH1qicta3o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	960438
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Bike looks sick. What size is your chainring?