• 11-24-2012
    tvan
    Does Kona include valve stems and rim tape to convert to tubeless with the '13 Honzo? Just ordered mine and want to set it up tubeless. I would like to know before I get the bike so I can order the parts if I need to
  • 11-29-2012
    noot
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    Does Kona include valve stems and rim tape to convert to tubeless with the '13 Honzo? Just ordered mine and want to set it up tubeless. I would like to know before I get the bike so I can order the parts if I need to

    I'd say it's pretty darn unlikely. An aftermarket tubeless wheel I bought came with the strips, but the same wheel OEM didn't. They try to cut corners anywhere they can, hence "tubeless ready"
  • 11-30-2012
    tvan
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Im used to running tubeless with 28 psi on my Nomad so I def want to ditch the tubes before my first ride on the Honzo, I'm gonna need that inch of tire suspension in the back, lol!

    Btw... Thought I'd have the bike by now but an inventory mistake now delays it another week. Crap!!! Oh well, at least my KS950 dropper post will be here waiting. Pretty sure I'd hate any bike without one now that I'm spoiled.
  • 11-30-2012
    APSBiker
    Got the frame about a week ago now, slowly amassing parts for my build. Gonna toss a 34 Float 29 on there as the fork.

    Wheels are gonna be awesome - the dark purple King hubs with Pacenti DL31 rims. Can't wait for the hubs to get sent out!

    Thinking XX1 cranks with 10-speed grip shift and Type-2 rear derailleur, and the rest of the build is going to be solid stuff that should keep weight below the 30 pound line.

    Can't wait! At least it's not the only mountain bike in the stable...for now.
  • 12-01-2012
    Sparticus
    First ride will be tomorrow
    http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...tt/Honzo01.jpg

    http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...tt/Honzo02.jpg

    http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...tt/Honzo08.jpg
    195mm cranks. Even with big Maxxis Minions (2.5" DHF & 2.3" DHR), BB height is only 12". I'll get used to pedal strikes.

    http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...tt/Honzo07.jpg
    Running SS through the winter at least, 30x19t gearing.

    =SORRY, PHOTO REMOVED=
    Plenty of room for the 2.5" fattie in the (140mm travel) '12 RS Revelation Dual Position fork.

    =SORRY, PHOTO REMOVED=
    Rear clearance #1. Again, this is a Maxxis Minion DHR 2.3" tire.

    =SORRY, PHOTO REMOVED=
    Rear clearance #2.

    =SORRY, PHOTO REMOVED=
    Rear clearance #3.

    Fire away.

    --Sparty
  • 12-01-2012
    eurospek
    I want those tires! :D
  • 12-01-2012
    Sparticus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I want those tires! :D

    If my reports have any sway with Maxxis, the 29x2.5 DHF & 29x2.3 DHR (tubeless, BTW) will be available soon.

    (Though DHFs f&r wouldn't be a bad way to go.)

    --Sparty

    EDIT -- OOPS, PROTO TIRE SHOTS REMOVED, SORRY.
  • 12-02-2012
    FM
    Can anyone confirm the honzo headset specs- looks like a standard 44mm head tube?
    31.6 seat tube, correct?

    Thanks!
  • 12-02-2012
    carabao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Can anyone confirm the honzo headset specs- looks like a standard 44mm head tube?
    31.6 seat tube, correct?

    Thanks!

    correct
  • 12-02-2012
    FM
    Thanks carabao. :thumbsup:
    Will be building up stick-boys old Honzo over the holidays- stoked!!
  • 12-02-2012
    lubes17319
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    If my reports have any sway with Maxxis, the 29x2.5 DHF & 29x2.3 DHR (tubeless, BTW) will be available soon.

    (Though DHFs f&r wouldn't be a bad way to go.)

    --Sparty

    I'd given up on those months ago...........could it really be true?
  • 12-02-2012
    Sparticus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    I'd given up on those months ago...........could it really be true?

    Time will tell.

    --Sparty
  • 12-02-2012
    Singlespeed McGee
    Can anyone using the 12x142 dropouts comment on if they improve stiffness over the QR dropouts? I'm thinking of getting the Kona dealer in town to order some up for me if they're worth it.
  • 12-02-2012
    playdead
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thanks carabao. :thumbsup:
    Will be building up stick-boys old Honzo over the holidays- stoked!!

    Nice! :thumbsup:
  • 12-07-2012
    carabao
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thanks carabao. :thumbsup:
    Will be building up stick-boys old Honzo over the holidays- stoked!!

    I checked out your flickr riding pics. Sweet riding in your neck of the woods. The Honzo will fit right in.:thumbsup:
  • 12-15-2012
    eurospek
    A few minor changes that happened mid-season (Saint M810 SS derailleur, Saint BB, and ESI Chunky grips) and the last pictures for this year before I tear it all apart for maintenance and warranty on the Fox 34 (creaking CSU) and Reverb (drops in travel).

    No changes planned for next year other than tidying up the cables up front a bit, wouldn't change a thing really. :D

    All in all, it's been a great year of riding. :thumbsup:

    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8...b8c53b53_h.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8...848545ec_h.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8203/8...fb7db0dd_h.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8...bf29d880_h.jpg
  • 12-16-2012
    ILVMTB
    I really must say again, that has to be the best looking Kona Honzo I've seen.
  • 12-21-2012
    FM
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I checked out your flickr riding pics. Sweet riding in your neck of the woods. The Honzo will fit right in.:thumbsup:

    Right on Carabao. I rode a yelli screamy for most of 2010 so I know I'm gonna love the Honzo!

    Just picked up the frame from the local PC shop. Color is a little darker / browner than this picture shows. Dropped 'em a holiday 6-pack :)
    I think I have everything to build 'er up over the holidays, I'll post pics when shes done!

    Thanks to Eurospec and Playdead for the build help.
  • 12-21-2012
    eurospek
    Lovely. :thumbsup:
  • 12-21-2012
    cackalacky
    Hey Eurospek, awesome photos! (and nice bike,too) Do you mind if I ask what kind of camera you used for those? The detail is nice.
  • 12-21-2012
    playdead
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Right on Carabao. I rode a yelli screamy for most of 2010 so I know I'm gonna love the Honzo!

    Just picked up the frame from the local PC shop. Color is a little darker / browner than this picture shows. Dropped 'em a holiday 6-pack :)
    I think I have everything to build 'er up over the holidays, I'll post pics when shes done!

    Thanks to Eurospec and Playdead for the build help.

    No worries! Now you just gotta drive north a couple of hours to Bellingham so we can ride. Seriously :thumbsup:
  • 12-21-2012
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Hey Eurospek, awesome photos! (and nice bike,too) Do you mind if I ask what kind of camera you used for those? The detail is nice.

    Nikon D5000 x 35mm f/1.8 shot on wide open aperture.
  • 12-25-2012
    tvan
    I guess the Honzo is becoming pretty popular since Kona has run out of Large 2013's. I've been waiting over a month to get mine! We've been having a mild winter in NJ so far, I just hope it lasts so I can get a few rides in!
  • 12-26-2012
    cfrankscid
    Hi Guys,

    Can anyone confirm what the correct sizing axles would be for a 2012 Honzo? It looks like a 20mm QR in the Front?...and what in the back? Looking to order some new wheels for a Honzo I have coming in.

    Thanks!
  • 12-26-2012
    Singlespeed McGee
    It should have a 20mm thru axle up front and 135mm QR out back if it has the stock 2012 dropouts. If it has the new ones, it will be a 142x12 spacing.