Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    I'm running - frankly huge - Schwalbe 2.35 Hans Dampf tires on Stans Flow rims with the stays of my Honzo 100% all the way forward (16.3" as claimed).

If a 2.4 Ardent doesn't fit (surprised since the side knob of the Hans is more aggressive and the air volume is huge) you could always lengthen the wheelbase a slight bit; definitely not an issue that warrants a redesign.

For that matter, if you like the Ardent I would challenge you to try a Specialized Eskar or a Schwalbe Hans Dampf. At least around here (Pacific North West) either tire is better in EVERY way.

-D
    That's a first. I think you're running the biggest tire on the rear so far. Care to share some pics of the clearances? How tight is it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That's a first. I think you're running the biggest tire on the rear so far. Care to share some pics of the clearances? How tight is it?
    It is pretty tight, but there is a comfortable amount of room all around. Definitely no rubbing and no issues with our wet -granular- "mud" or with loamy trails.

I will try and get some decent shots tomorrow, the ones I have don't show the clearance very well.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Apologies for the delay...

Here are the photos as promised. As noted, clearance is tight but no problem with rubbing or blockage in mud or loam. If I road predominantly in the Don Valley this wouldn't be my first choice (then again, I'd also be on a Kula Watt not a Honzo).

As an aside, the tires are awesome as well. Heavy compared to my previous combos but confidence inspiring in any technical situation (up or down).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, but man those are tight clearances. A slight wobble in the rim and I bet that will rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the pics, but man those are tight clearances. A slight wobble in the rim and I bet that will rub.
    Cheers!

Like I said, there is room for mud etc. I'm on top of my gear maintenance wise (and this set of Flow/King wheels has seen ~300 rides), so out of true wheels aren't a huge concern for me.

If I did badly tweak a rim it would be easy enough to lengthen the wheel base (four bolts) to get home.

The Hans Dampf is huge (still on the fence if I like it as a rear tire or not). Huge confidence in technical climbing or descending but a bit slow everywhere else.

If you need more mud clearance then running a smaller tire or lengthening the wheel base slightly don't seem like such a big deal?

Honzo (yes, we're on a first name basis) is a bit portly even with a pretty lightweight build. I have definitely owned faster, more capable bikes (up, down and all-around). That said, it is ridiculously fun (most fun bike I have ever owned), which for me is the point.

If you haven't had a chance to take one offroad I would highly recommend it! Geometry charts and photos aside the proof is in the pedaling.

-D
    Last edited by DrewM; 12-22-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Cheers!

mtbr member

Confirmation and Pics that Ardent 2.4s do Fit

I mounted up an Ardent 2.4 and it fits just fine.

I'm running them on a fairly wide rim, Flows, and have plenty of clearance. From the pics you can see there's 2-3 millimeters more clearance available by moving the wheel back a smidge.

I've run this same setup on a Niner MCR and Air 9 with no issues, and the Honzo has at least the same clearance, more if you slide rear wheel back a bit. In fact, my rear wheel has a wobble in it and still clears fine.

I'll try to imbed pics, but if I fail, here's a link to the pics:

Dec 21, 2011 - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by carabao; 12-22-2011 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    ^ Awesome. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Btw, running 2.4s with the Fox F29 (8mm shorter than the Rockshox Revelation) and a Cane Creek headset (12mm bottom cup, 1.4 shorter than the FSA Kona measures geo with) my bottom bracket is at 12.3-12.4 inches. Before I went to a 2.4 in the back, my BB was about 12.1" (that was measured with a well worn Ardent 2.25).

The reason I point this out is because the geo charts on Kona's website are accurate if you use the same headset and fork. Just putting this out there for those custom builders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Speaking of charts, I remember seeing a Kona frame sizing chart at one point on the interwebs. Do you know where I could find a chart for the honzo or a similar bike? I'm 6' tall and I noticed they have the honzo up to 22" I thought..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Have you done any slick rock riding with this yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    Speaking of charts, I remember seeing a Kona frame sizing chart at one point on the interwebs. Do you know where I could find a chart for the honzo or a similar bike? I'm 6' tall and I noticed they have the honzo up to 22" I thought..
    The 22" is just a 20" Long version, with a WB of 46.1" and ETT of 26", and still a 20" seat tube. No real 22" available per say.

mtbr member
    Updated pic of my Honzo, wider bar (Raceface SIXC 725mm 9/4 sweep) and shorter stem (Thomson 50mm).

IMG_0810
    Last edited by carabao; 01-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey carabao, pic isn't loading...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strikerkidNY View Post
    Hey carabao, pic isn't loading...
    IMG_0810

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Updated pic of my Honzo, wider bar (Raceface SIXC 725mm 9/4 sweep) and shorter stem (Thomson 50mm).

<
    She looks much more aggressive....I've got to find the way to short mine (stem ) and still have room for myself ( I have a 90mm Thomson)

bella bici !

mtbr member
    Damn, carabao! that is one fast looking bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strikerkidNY View Post
    Damn, carabao! that is one fast looking bike!
    Thanks, I'm in love with it. I named her Matilda.

banned
    Plenty of room here too with Ardent 2.4s mounted to Charger Experts @ 40psi tubless for the initial set up...
    Last edited by eauxgod; 01-07-2012 at 05:18 PM.

banned
    Sun Ringle Charger Experts (stickers to be removed)
    Ardent 2.4s, tubeless
    Marz 44 Micro Ti 140
    SLX cranks
    e*13 32t
    SLX brakes w/ 180/160 XT rotors
    Crank Brothers Joplin (temporary...)
    WTB Rocket Team
    Sunline V1 65/0 stem
    Sunline V1 762mm flat bars
    Syncros Hardcore ZS44 Tall Upper
    Cane Creek EC44 lower
    ODI Rogues
    X.9 short cage
    X.9 rear trigger
    Sram 971 11-34 cassette
    Crank Brother Candy 3 Cands
    MRP Lopes SL chain guide ISCG05

Right at 30 lbs...

Last edited by eauxgod; 01-20-2012 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Looking good! Where does this bike reside?

mtbr member
    Man, that looks awesome. Nice touch with the silver faceplate on the stem. I would have opted for a silver E13 ring up front to continue the theme.

Your build with the exception of the fork would have been the same as mine, kinda regret sending the frame back now lol, although the geo wasn't on par with what what listed online and what I was measuring at home, plus Kona said 2.4 Ardents won't fit. Oh, well. Maybe I'll pick up a 2013 Honzo.

banned
    Thanks! It's a little much for around here but I like bikes on the burly side.
    Last edited by eauxgod; 01-19-2012 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    Thanks! The bike, bless it's heart, will reside in south Louisiana. It's a little much for around here but I like bikes on the burly side.
    If you ever make it to the west coast, hit me up and we'll ride some chunk and flow. I'm in San Diego.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    If you ever make it to the west coast, hit me up and we'll ride some chunk and flow. I'm in San Diego.
    Thanks for the invite, maybe one of these days (if you all can still ride your bikes offroad ).
    Last edited by eauxgod; 01-10-2012 at 05:42 PM.

banned
    Thanks Man! It took a while to get my ducks in a row...

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast