• 09-18-2014
    Collins
    Hopeful, here. But I'd buy it only if the chainstays could take a 3" tire.

    ...yeah. But a light production frame, with Honzo's geo, that would handle the soon-to-be-raging 27.5+ and typical 29"... would be just bananas.
  • 09-25-2014
    kan3
    To answer my own question, stock wheelset weighted in at 2250g for me
  • 09-26-2014
    Equality 7-2521
    I'm using the stock (2013 Honzo) RockShox Revelation RL Solo 120MM forkI'm very tempted to make the move to 140MM this winter and I've had no success trying to contact SRAM to find out exactly which parts are necessary for the upgrade.

    Anyone know if this will get the job done:
    RockShox Revelation Spring Internal Left Solo Air 26" 27 5" 29" 140mm | eBay
  • 09-26-2014
    Vegard
    SRAM only deals with customers through their dealers, so you'd have to contact an lbs or online store to 'get in touch' with SRAM. Personally I dislike that way of doing things.

    As for your Rev question, I can't help unfortunately.
  • 09-26-2014
    kan3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post
    I'm using the stock (2013 Honzo) RockShox Revelation RL Solo 120MM forkI'm very tempted to make the move to 140MM this winter and I've had no success trying to contact SRAM to find out exactly which parts are necessary for the upgrade.

    Anyone know if this will get the job done:
    RockShox Revelation Spring Internal Left Solo Air 26" 27 5" 29" 140mm | eBay

    Correct, you adjust the length on the new revs with an air spring change. The length of the rod is the same for all wheel sizes unlike the pike.
  • 09-27-2014
    megsy
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post
    I'm using the stock (2013 Honzo) RockShox Revelation RL Solo 120MM forkI'm very tempted to make the move to 140MM this winter and I've had no success trying to contact SRAM to find out exactly which parts are necessary for the upgrade.

    Anyone know if this will get the job done:
    RockShox Revelation Spring Internal Left Solo Air 26" 27 5" 29" 140mm | eBay

    That's the correct part # to do the 140mm.
    Just got it done to my honzo.

    Attachment 927269
  • 09-28-2014
    sasu
    6 Attachment(s)
    My second Honzo, this time as a Single Speed.

    2013 size L frame, Gravity Moto X cranks, 34x18 gearing with Surley single speed cassette adapter rings, rear rim Sun MTX33 36h on Saint hub, front rim WTB Frequency i25 Team 32h on Saint hub, Hayes Stroker gram brakes, 203/160 mm discs, WTB saddle, Raceface handlebar, Maxxis Minion DH tires, Ritchie carbon bar ends, RockShox 140 mm fork. Have not weighed it yet.

    Attachment 927383

    Attachment 927384

    Attachment 927385

    Attachment 927386

    Attachment 927387

    Attachment 927388
  • 09-28-2014
    bcf811
    Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sasu View Post
    My second Honzo, this time as a Single Speed.

    2013 size L frame, Gravity Moto X cranks, 34x18 gearing with Surley single speed cassette adapter rings, rear rim Sun MTX33 36h on Saint hub, front rim WTB Frequency i25 Team 32h on Saint hub, Hayes Stroker gram brakes, 203/160 mm discs, WTB saddle, Raceface handlebar, Maxxis Minion DH tires, Ritchie carbon bar ends, RockShox 140 mm fork. Have not weighed it yet.

    Attachment 927383
    Attachment 927384
    Attachment 927385
    Attachment 927386
    Attachment 927387
    Attachment 927388

    Nice *****
  • 09-28-2014
    mattbryant2
    1 Attachment(s)
    Honzo #2, Stevens Pass Bike Park
    Honzo #1 (2012) was with me for a few weeks, and then was replaced by Honzo #2 (2013), mostly due to finding a great deal on frame #2 and wanting the 142x12 axle. Both were/are awesome, I just decided to spoil myself - #2 came with some new goodies (2015 Revelation at 130mm, Turbine wheels, etc).

    How'd I break in #2? 20 runs at Stevens Pass Bike Park x 1,800ft of vertical per run = a f***ng pounding! Or 36,000ft of vertical descent, depending on your math. It was super chunky too. And I'll tell you what... the Honzo took the beating like a f***ing champ.

    Pic, video, more videos on my blog (link in signature).

    Attachment 927495

    <iframe width="410" height="238" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FvnE_1HAwVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    (Not a ton of direct Honzo action, as this is my riding buddy's video and he was on a TransAm, but I was either right behind him or the camera was backward on my helmet filming him, so the Honzo was doing all of the same s***.)
  • 10-04-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    The Hardtail monster truck with Rally car like Handling.


    Kona Honzo Frame M
    Cane Creek 110 Headset
    Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm of travel
    Avid Elixer 7 brakes 180F/160R
    Shimano SLX cranks
    Raceface 34t Narrow wide
    SRAM PC870 chain
    Endless Bike Kick ass Cog 21 or 20t
    Rockshox Reverb
    Fizik Tundra Saddle
    Stans Flow Ex laced with DT swiss comp to Hope Pro 2 front Hub and DT Swiss 240 SS rear hub(soon so be 36 t star ratchet)
    Kore 35m Stem
    Truvative Stylo SS bars
    Ergon Enduro grips
    Salsa Rear skewer and seat post clamp

    a quiver of tires.

    Dry

    2.35 Michlien Rock R2 Front
    2.35 Maxxis Ikon rear

    Wet/Loam/sand

    2.3 MAxxis High Roller front and Rear.

    anywhere from 27.5 to 28.5 depending on the tires.
  • 10-05-2014
    pmd_jr
    Anyone know the stock weight of the 2015 Honzo? I've seen a few posted online now.
  • 10-10-2014
    mvallejo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Figured I would add my own to the mix. Built this up custom as well... 2014, love the bike.

    For those with the Wolftooth 42t... how do you like them? I see they attach to an XT casette so I'd have to change that up (mine is 11-36T SLX)... which also likely means a new chain. I'm guessing the climbing benefit is awesome though.


    Attachment 930232
  • 10-10-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Figured I would add my own to the mix. Built this up custom as well... 2014, love the bike.

    For those with the Wolftooth 42t... how do you like them? I see they attach to an XT casette so I'd have to change that up (mine is SLX)... which also likely means a new chain. I'm guessing the climbing benefit is awesome though.


    Attachment 930232

    That doesn't look like Tucson :)
  • 10-10-2014
    mvallejo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That doesn't look like Tucson :)

    I'm in Fort Collins, CO now... can't complain much about the riding here, at all. But I really do miss the riding in Tucson... some really great trails. And I could ride them for the next 6 months, unlike here.
  • 10-10-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    I'm in Fort Collins, CO now... can't complain much about the riding here, at all. But I really do miss the riding in Tucson... some really great trails. And I could ride them for the next 6 months, unlike here.

    I'm a Tucson to Denver transplant. I'll definitely be visiting Chiva Falls around January.
  • 10-10-2014
    mvallejo
    Damn. I'm jealous. Let me know how the Honzo rides on a trail like that (assuming thats what you ride). That trail is a beast, though I'd imagine the Honzo could tackle.
  • 10-11-2014
    Haggis
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Hopeful, here. But I'd buy it only if the chainstays could take a 3" tire.

    ...yeah. But a light production frame, with Honzo's geo, that would handle the soon-to-be-raging 27.5+ and typical 29"... would be just bananas.

    Already here - Taro frame weighs 1900g
  • 10-11-2014
    eurospek
    Not the best luck with the rear wheel this season. Less than 20 rides on the new setup and the 142x12 axle has seem to broke off in two, causing lateral play that I noticed on the last ride when airing up the tires. Also noticed the same type of hairline cracks developing that plagued my first hub. Let's see what Sun-Ringle says......

    That's the broken axle coming out of the freehub body.

  • 10-12-2014
    Vegard
    The maxle lites have had issues with snapping in hubs that don't contact the axle all the way through. Some hubs only contact the axle at the hub caps, but not in between.

    I know Hope had this issue, but they updated their hubs.
  • 10-12-2014
    rob1035
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post


    .

    Great looking build! The original blue is still my personal favorite
  • 10-12-2014
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    The maxle lites have had issues with snapping in hubs that don't contact the axle all the way through. Some hubs only contact the axle at the hub caps, but not in between.

    I know Hope had this issue, but they updated their hubs.

    I'm well aware of that issue, thanks for pointing that out. This hub contacts the Maxle fully so it's not the issue. Just another bad mechanical for me this year lol. I think it's time for a FS frame next season.
  • 10-12-2014
    mvallejo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just ordered the Blue 42T wolftooth and an XT cassette. Pretty excited to get that set up.

    I've liked the Maxxis setup so far. Have a 2.4 Ardent up front, 2.35 in the back. Thinking of possibly getting a new front tire as it does seem fairly heavy however. Saw some were using the Conti X-King in back and Mountain King up front... so was considering that. Any other recommendations (tubeless setup on Stans Arch EX rims with Hope pro Evo 2 hubs).

    Attachment 930695
  • 10-13-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    MY suggestion is to go with heavier and more burly tires than even the ardent! The Honzo is not a weight weenie XC race bike.
  • 10-14-2014
    mvallejo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm well aware of that issue, thanks for pointing that out. This hub contacts the Maxle fully so it's not the issue. Just another bad mechanical for me this year lol. I think it's time for a FS frame next season.

    going to the dark side, eh?
  • 10-14-2014
    hjulier
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 931190

    An update. Had an amazing time in the Asheville/Brevard area riding with Cashion from The Bike Farm. Rode Dupont 3 times and Pisgah once. Fantastic riding and I am counting the days until I can go back.

    I typically ride with my dad, who at almost 60 (bless his heart) does't take the kind of risks I do at 30. Our guide in Pisgah and Dupont was a very strong rider (on a pimped out Bronson) and it was fun to try and follow him. My limits were tested but the Honzo's were not.

    Debating swapping the frame for a Process 111 or upgrading to a proper 11speed drivetrain. The "bike fund" cookie jar continues to grow and I'll make a decision in the spring. It's hard to part with a setup that I get compliments on literally every time I ride and that is more than capable on the trail.

    The KOM front rim was a necessary upgrade as I had some nipples pull through on the Freq. i23 that preceded it. Can't remember if I told this story or not but WTB was super chill and offered me the pick of the litter. That was earlier this year. WTB is now offering a KOM i25 29"- 25mm inner width and less than 500 grams. Sign. Me. Up.

    Still loving the Hans Dampf but I'll be putting on the latest Nobby Nic design when it wears out. Current gen NN in the rear is a champ. 28psi front and rear.

    Lastly, the Ergon SME saddle (medium width) is the first non-WTB saddle I've owned... ever. Everything up to this point has been WTB. I've found that the shape of the SME allows for easier movement around the saddle - I feel less "locked in" to it than on my old Laser V. The feel is firmer, but the saddle flexes nicely so it's equally comfortable and much lighter. Really digging it.
  • 10-15-2014
    Shepard
    3 Attachment(s)
    XL 2015 Honzo - The Black Beast
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Yeah, let's see that awkward XL size frame please.

    Attachment 931409Attachment 931410Attachment 931411

    Here you go! I just picked up this beauty yesterday after putting in my order the day it was announced up on Konaworld a couple months ago. I've been lurking on this post since the beginning and just wanted to give a thank you to Eurospek and all the others for posting pictures and reports of their Honzo that helped me make my choice.

    This post is mainly for anyone like me who may be on the fence of putting a size-able amount of money into a mountain bike and wants to make sure the bike LOOKS as good as it rides. I can tell you I'm pretty picky and this one looks great and rides better!

    Someone was also asking weight of the 2015 Honzo:

    (These were all done on my bathroom scale so probably +- 0.5lb)
    Stock setup is with Ardent 2.4 front and Ardent 2.25 rear w/ tubes
    Stock 2015 XL Honzo no pedals: 30.5lbs
    Stock XL Honzo + Kona Waa Waa pedals: 31.5lbs
    Honzo Tubeless w/ Minion 2.5/2.25 Ardent + Kona Waa Waa's: 31.5lbs

    Frame and color: I've been ready to buy a Honzo since the gold 2013 came out but have held off since if I'm going to put down this kind of coin a the bike I want to get excited when I see it. The gold & green I couldn't get over as I also won't repaint them if its going to maybe void the warranty. I've only seen a blue frame only in person but that blue is my favorite. That being said this thing looks MEAN all blacked out - especially when you see it in person. My favorite frame aesthetically of all bikes in the Honzo's category is the 2Souls Quarterhorse so I was also very excited to see that the Honzo's frame design mirrored that. It think it would look even better if they had done the seat tube brace like the Quarterhorse. The photos also don't do the frame design justice - in person it looks steep and mean.

    Ride report: (From one ride - take it for what it worth :) )
    I'm coming off of a rigid steel SS (09 Raliegh xxix) with QR both front and rear. For being a rigid I was quite happy with what that bike absorbs in bumps. The Honzo for being so stiff feels very similar with bumps coming straight up through the rear which is a good thing for me. The big difference I've noticed so far is when I lean the bike side to side and put good power though the pedals. On my XXIX, I could actually look down and see the frame flex side to side at the BB, and same with the wheels. The Honzo feels extremely stiff with great power transfer - better frame design and Maxles front and rear I'm guessing? I didn't get to many downhill sections but the little I did makes me very excited to ride it again today.

    Bike fit: I'm 6'4" 205 and it seems to fit really nice, just from one day of riding. Definitely wouldn't go any smaller. I was happy to get on it and it to feel small and nimble already - like its ready to be tossed around.

    Future upgrades: Dropper post (research and $ necessary) and maybe extend the fork to 140 for a change.

    Also wanted to thank the guys over at Just Riding Along Cycles (JRA Cycles) in Medford MA for setting me up with the Honzo and would highly recommend their shop for anything mountain bike related if you are in the area. All their pretty Chromag parts may be a problem for me in the future.

    Happy Honzo-ing guys.
  • 10-15-2014
    eurospek
    I kinda like it lol. Does remind me of the 2Souls QH/Slim Jim. I've always lusted after that frame but XXL never happened.
  • 10-15-2014
    Glide the Clyde
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

    Uhhh, no. That's a great build and all, but aesthetically, the 2015 frames just don't blow my skirt up. They're all the same frame with a longer seat tube and gusset, longer reach as well, which makes the larger sizes look awkward to me. I guess the Honzo is now off my short list of AM HT frames. Sorry Kona.
  • 10-15-2014
    sasu
    2015 Honzos just have a ladies' frame for a change. Maybe the next year they will be mens' models again.

    Speaking as the owner of two 2013 Honzos, an L and an XL.
  • 10-15-2014
    goldenaustin
    ouch, tough crowd! I do miss my 2012. Still the best looking imo.
  • 10-15-2014
    Shepard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    ouch, tough crowd! I do miss my 2012. Still the best looking imo.

    Agreed on both accounts. The 2012 is the best looking.
  • 10-15-2014
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sasu View Post
    2015 Honzos just have a ladies' frame for a change. Maybe the next year they will be mens' models again.

    Speaking as the owner of two 2013 Honzos, an L and an XL.

    Am I right to say the 2015 has a more radically sloped top tube and better stand over? If so, that's a big, big plus for me!

    The gusset is unconventional but I'm ok with the look of it.
  • 10-18-2014
    Penetrator
    Who knows, width clearance in mm Kona Honzo 2015?
    Thank you
  • 10-18-2014
    eurospek
    ^ I'm gonna say a 2.4 Ardent will fit much better than previous years. There's a lot more room.
  • 10-18-2014
    Vegard
    Anyone know the approximate HA with a 140mm fork?
  • 10-18-2014
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Anyone know the approximate HA with a 140mm fork?

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here - Page 9- Mtbr.com
  • 10-18-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Great looking build! The original blue is still my personal favorite

    yeah was lucky to pick this thing up. used in really nice shape.
  • 10-18-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Uhhh, no. That's a great build and all, but aesthetically, the 2015 frames just don't blow my skirt up. They're all the same frame with a longer seat tube and gusset, longer reach as well, which makes the larger sizes look awkward to me. I guess the Honzo is now off my short list of AM HT frames. Sorry Kona.


    just find a used one from past year in your sizes. The new chainstay bridge almost looks like could fit a 29+ tire in it.
  • 10-19-2014
    PaddyMcB
    1 Attachment(s)
    New to here...not new to bikes.

    Just picked up my 2015 Honzo from The Path last week....had it built before delivery.

    Flows, XT drivetrain/brakes, Maxxis Minion 2.3 f/r, KS dropper, X1 direct mount/Wolftooth 28. Kept the OEM fork, bars, stem, HS. Love it. Have about 35 miles on it so far and zero complaints.

    Attachment 932459
  • 10-19-2014
    JoshM
    That seat tube/top tube gusset makes baby jesus cry. Holy cow.
  • 10-21-2014
    loamranger
    :thumbsup:
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaddyMcB View Post
    New to here...not new to bikes.

    Just picked up my 2015 Honzo from The Path last week....had it built before delivery.

    Flows, XT drivetrain/brakes, Maxxis Minion 2.3 f/r, KS dropper, X1 direct mount/Wolftooth 28. Kept the OEM fork, bars, stem, HS. Love it. Have about 35 miles on it so far and zero complaints.

    Attachment 932459

    :thumbsup: 2015 looks so good.
  • 10-21-2014
    Motomaniac94
    4 Attachment(s)
    Just got my 2013 large in the mail today! got it dj/urban style for winter :)
    Attachment 933120Attachment 933121Attachment 933122Attachment 933123
  • 10-22-2014
    Collins
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Penetrator View Post
    Who knows, width clearance in mm Kona Honzo 2015?
    Thank you

    Ditto this. Could a 2015 owner please measure the CS bridge width? (I'm looking to use a 2.8 - 3 inch 27.5 "plus" tire with one... Wishful thinking, likely.) Big thanks.
  • 10-23-2014
    mvallejo
    1 Attachment(s)
    So I just installed my 42t Wolftooth rear cog on my XT cassette, with a 32T NW chainring up front. I got a new chain that is a few links longer and seems ok. Bought a new B-screw for the Zee derailleur and adjusted the shifting. It's a tiny bit clunky but its shifting ok.

    Doesn't the derailleur look funky in this big cog? Is this right? The other weird thing is in the big 42t cog, when I pedal backwards it downshifts... which I thought was very odd. Never did that before, and doesnt do it in any other gear. Any ideas why?

    Attachment 933575


    EDIT: Just found another thread where they discuss this. The Zee RD apparently looks like that with this setup. Just thought it was weird. Apparently, lots have had issues with the 42t cog and short cage, and ended up going to an XT der. Mine seems ok so far on stand. Shifting isnt perfect but its not bad by any means.
  • 10-23-2014
    Motomaniac94
    Id bet its your chain being too long, That used to happen to me
  • 10-23-2014
    Collins
    @Mvallejo -- yeah, you want a mid-cage on there, to get proper shifting to the tall gear. Make sure your high limit screw is correctly adjusted so you don't shift your chain into your spokes, then test your shifting under load -- ride it around. Then fine tune it with your barrel adjuster.
  • 10-23-2014
    mvallejo
    yah i fixed up the high and low a bit. They seem fine for the time being, but like you said, I need to ride it under load to be sure.

    I'm going to try it out with the Zee. I really don't want to get a new shifter and derailleur right now.
  • 10-23-2014
    Vegard
    The numbers only support a 40t for the zee derailleur.
  • 10-23-2014
    Shepard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Ditto this. Could a 2015 owner please measure the CS bridge width? (I'm looking to use a 2.8 - 3 inch 27.5 "plus" tire with one... Wishful thinking, likely.) Big thanks.

    2015 XL Honzo CS bridge width:

    I just measured with my Harbor Freight calipers(which should be plenty accurate for this) at 73.36mm or 2.888". That is at the point where my 2.25" ardent is at its widest with the dropouts in their all the way forward position. The dropouts don't get any narrower from that point to 1.5" backward toward the rear axle as shown in the picture.
  • 10-24-2014
    mvallejo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @Mvallejo -- yeah, you want a mid-cage on there, to get proper shifting to the tall gear. Make sure your high limit screw is correctly adjusted so you don't shift your chain into your spokes, then test your shifting under load -- ride it around. Then fine tune it with your barrel adjuster.

    If I were to get an XT 10 speed mid-cage rear derailleur, would it work with my Zee shifter?
  • 10-24-2014
    Vegard
    Sure would, vise versa too.
  • 10-24-2014
    mvallejo
    Thanks. Maybe I will do that then. What's another $80 at this point. Ugh.
  • 10-24-2014
    Vegard
    Unless you really need the 42t, trading with someone for a 40t would work. That's what I use on mine without issues.

    IMHO, the Zee RD is the best bang for the buck as far as any bike part is concerned.
  • 10-24-2014
    mvallejo
    I think I will give it a shot for a bit. I just found this thread:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...ur-902677.html

    Apparently people have had success with it on a Zee. I'll give it a shot and take it from here. Thx for the help though amigo.
  • 10-24-2014
    Motomaniac94
    What is the width in mm for the honzo bottom bracket, i think its the bb7000?
  • 10-24-2014
    maximo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Motomaniac94 View Post
    What is the width in mm for the honzo bottom bracket, i think its the bb7000?

    73mm is the shell width.
  • 10-25-2014
    Motomaniac94
    :thumbsup:Thanks!
  • 10-29-2014
    taylor.roberts
    I bought a used Honzo frame and the bolts that push the single speed sliders back are missing. Does anyone know the bolt size and if I could just get them at a hardware store?
  • 10-29-2014
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    I bought a used Honzo frame and the bolts that push the single speed sliders back are missing. Does anyone know the bolt size and if I could just get them at a hardware store?

    They are a M5-.80 size set/grub screw. Length is 1.5 inches or 30mm. They have metric set screws available in the specialty hardware drawers at Home Depot and Lowes. And pick up a matching M5 nut as well. But if you're gonna slam the sliders all the way forward, no point in these at all. I have mine sitting in a parts bin.
  • 10-29-2014
    taylor.roberts
    Thanks eurospek, I need them because I am setting it up as a single speed
  • 11-01-2014
    Jkj
    Is bikeman.com trust worthly? I saw them having 2015 honzo for order, but only deliver jan or feb next year. Anyone ordered from them before?

    Big thanks :)
  • 11-01-2014
    mvallejo
    I ordered my frame from them. No complaints at all.
  • 11-02-2014
    hjulier
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jkj View Post
    Is bikeman.com trust worthly? I saw them having 2015 honzo for order, but only deliver jan or feb next year. Anyone ordered from them before?

    Big thanks :)

    They're great. Got my 2012 frame from them.
  • 11-02-2014
    Hobine
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    Got my 2014 from Bikeman as well as many parts over the years. Great shop.
  • 11-03-2014
    Vegard
    With the recent financial scares the Dollar has risen in value, how this relates to the Honzo thread you might wonder? Well, I don't have a decent LBS so I tend to buy what I need from overseas. With the $ having rocketed up in the exchange rates everything I was going to buy is naturally a wee bit more expensive.

    Therefor I'm going to keep Honzo around for another season and just get some minor upgrades for it. Still crossing my fingers that I'll manage to get my hands on a Banshee Phantom sometime soon though.

    Here's the current spec, pardon the lousy picture:
    (I have a Roam60 rear, they were just delivered on different days. Hence the mismatch)


    Planning to buy:
    Kind Shock KS LEV 31.6x385/125mm
    130mm Airshaft for the Pike
    Race Face BSA30 bottombracket
    New Race Face Aeffect seat as the one on there snapped as easily as my clavicle did.

    Already bought for the Phantom that was never to be or took off my Scalpel:
    Race Face NEXT Sl cranks
    Magura MT8 w/ 180/160mm rotors
    MT ZOOM Carbon 720mm 15mm Low Riser
    Eggbeater 11 (Might aswell use them :P )
  • 11-05-2014
    The_Aaron
    Hello thread - I have a fork question...any of you guys riding the Honzo with a 51mm offset fork rather than the stock 46mm offset?

    If so, any adverse handling issues?

    I'm building up a 2013 frame and can get a much better deal on a 51mm than a 46mm.

    Thanks in advance!
  • 11-05-2014
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Hello thread - I have a fork question...any of you guys riding the Honzo with a 51mm offset fork rather than the stock 46mm offset?

    If so, any adverse handling issues?

    I'm building up a 2013 frame and can get a much better deal on a 51mm than a 46mm.

    Thanks in advance!

    The 51mm offset is going to quicken the handling a little bit. It will be more pronounced if the fork you going to use is 140mm. The greater offset decreases trail.

    I ride a 46mm fork at 140 without issues for me. It will try to wander when I get tired going up steep stuff. I fail climbs due to wander though, just energy loss.
  • 11-05-2014
    The_Aaron
    Thank you. The planned fork is a 120mm Revelation RTC3 at 51mm, at least that's the good deal I can get. Now I'm just concerned about offset because I know the Honzo was designed around a 46mm offset. Dangit!
  • 11-05-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    I you live anywhere with roots/rocks to catch your pedals I would go for a 140mm fork. It feels better in every way IMO over a 120mm fork.
  • 11-06-2014
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Thank you. The planned fork is a 120mm Revelation RTC3 at 51mm, at least that's the good deal I can get. Now I'm just concerned about offset because I know the Honzo was designed around a 46mm offset. Dangit!

    It'll ride fine. Better on the climbs than mine with the shorter travel and greater offset.

    What year Rev are you getting, Dual Air or Solo Air? I would try it at 120mm first to see how you like it. You would need a new air shaft if it's a Solo Air and lengthen it to 140mm if you want more than 120mm. Other wise it is simple spacers for the 2012 and older Dual Air.

    I have only taken a parking lot spin on a stock Honzo when I was testing the frame sizes. I built mine with a 140mm from the get go. There was a recent thread about the Honzo being a reverse mullet, party up front - business out back. I tend to think with a 140mm fork and short rear end; its business up front and party out back. Aptly named in a pic the Mulleteer.
  • 11-06-2014
    Vegard
    My 140mm pike has 51mm offset, I can't imagine the bike feeling any better with less.
  • 11-06-2014
    The_Aaron
    Thanks guys for all the feedback - I'm excited to build up this beast. It will begin as a single speed, but I'll have a drivetrain waiting.

    Build:

    Frame - 2013, size small

    Fork - 120mm Revelation RTC3, 51mm offset

    Bars - Chromag Fubars, 730mm, root beer

    Stem - Thomson 50mm, silver

    Post - torn between Thomson silver or Reverb dropper (I'm in WI, and am having hard time justifying the weight and cost of a dropper, I don't do much gravity here).

    Brakes - Hayes Prime Pro or Comp - I have both sets in the parts bin. I like the Pros better, but they're white and gold! Not sure how I feel about those colors with the orange on the frame. The Comps are black and silver

    Wheels - Front - Hope Pro II laced to Flow, Rear Shimano XT 785 laced to Flow; unless anyone has a nice matching wheel set to sell reasonably :)

    Crank - Race Face Respond with E.13 33T ring

    Cog and chain - Surly 19T and KMC 8 speed

    Saddle - Fizik Aliante

    Tires - Ardent 2.4 rear, Nobby Nic 2.35 front.


    I think that does it for single speed mode.


    The drivetrain I have waiting, should I ever feel the need for gears is a ZEE derailleur, XTR shifter, and XT 11-36 cassette.
  • 11-06-2014
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Therefor I'm going to keep Honzo around for another season and just get some minor upgrades for it.

    I'm on the same boat. There's really nothing wrong with using such a beefed up hardtail for my tame Midwest trails but some squish would be nice. Would I enjoy my riding that much more after dropping $3500+ on a new setup, probably not lol. But an order of upgrades is due for the Honzo this winter. Finally going to get some XT M785 brakes (ditch my SLX M665), RF 32T N/W ring (ditch my MRP Lopes SL guide and 1x9 Saint), Zee derailleur and a 11-36 cassette. And new tires, time for something different from my 2.4/2.25 Ardents that I've been running forever.

    But if a used Prime or Phantom XL pops up for sale, I'm definitely buying it for $1000, no more. :D
  • 11-06-2014
    Vegard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Post - torn between Thomson silver or Reverb dropper (I'm in WI, and am having hard time justifying the weight and cost of a dropper, I don't do much gravity here).

    If you aren't going to use a dropper all that much, I'd get something like this:
    E TEN ? KS | Get Down and Dirty

    They're alot cheaper than the ones with remotes. I think I picked up mine on ebay for $130 or so.
  • 11-07-2014
    The_Aaron
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    If you aren't going to use a dropper all that much, I'd get something like this:
    E TEN ? KS | Get Down and Dirty

    They're alot cheaper than the ones with remotes. I think I picked up mine on ebay for $130 or so.

    Thanks for the advice! I found a new Reverb Stealth for $200 - so if I go dropper, that's what I'd pick up - now, Thomson Elite for $70, or pony up the extra $130 for the Reverb?? AHHHH!!!
  • 11-07-2014
    Vegard
    Another thing to consider is where the line to the remote hooks up on the seatpost, some hook up on the non-moving part of the post and doesn't move the line at all.

    Others hook up on the [moving] stanchion of the post and the length of the line changes with the movement of the stanchion, thus creating excess line which can snag on objects.
  • 11-07-2014
    beer_coffee_water
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I found a new Reverb Stealth for $200 - so if I go dropper, that's what I'd pick up - now, Thomson Elite for $70, or pony up the extra $130 for the Reverb?? AHHHH!!!

    The 2013 doesn't have stealth routing. But you could always drill if you don't care about the warranty.
  • 11-10-2014
    Motomaniac94
    Has anyone put a 650b fork on a honzo? would it even work with a 2.5?
  • 11-11-2014
    Rynee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I found a new Reverb Stealth for $200 - so if I go dropper, that's what I'd pick up - now, Thomson Elite for $70, or pony up the extra $130 for the Reverb?? AHHHH!!!

    Hi,
    go for the reverb! I've been running the stock kona post for couple of months and have recently upgraded to the KS dropzone. I'm using the tele feature much more than I anticipated I would. But two additional advantages have materialized so far:
    1. The ks post has more friction in the seat tube than the kona. The kona had to be readjusted continuously, no matter how tight I clamped it. The ks was a set-and-forget
    2. The dropzone has an offset, which suits my body positioning better than the kona posts' zero offset. I'm 179cm tall and am riding the 2013 medium (18")
  • 11-11-2014
    Rynee
    3 Attachment(s)
    My Honzo 2013
    Hi all,

    I've been reading this thread since more than a year now. Finally the time has come that my own ride is finished to my liking:
    - Honzo 2013 M/18", bought stock and changed the following:
    - ditched chainguide and 32t front ring for 30t RF NW ring. works flawlessly with the stock X7 derailleur (non-clutch)
    - replaced kona pedals with saints
    - replaced fsa crankset with RF evolve dh
    - recently switched bar and stem to RooX (yes, they are back!!) Dominator 780 and Danny's NFD 31.8 in 50mm length
    - upgraded seatpost to KS dropzone

    I'm super happy with this setup now. I'm riding rather short rounds (1-2hrs) with lots of ups and downs. No dropped chain so far, and with the dropper post, no annoying readjustments of the seatpost are necessary (the kona post was a pia in that regard...).

    Here are some pics:

    Attachment 938221Attachment 938222Attachment 938223
  • 11-11-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    There is no reason to not have a dropper post on any bike.
  • 11-11-2014
    The_Aaron
    Thanks for all the advice! Nice pics Rynee!
  • 11-11-2014
    bitflogger
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    There is no reason to not have a dropper post on any bike.

    What I thought until I tried one with my dirt jumper.

    :)
  • 11-11-2014
    Rynee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The_Aaron View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! Nice pics Rynee!

    thanks :) glad to help!
  • 11-12-2014
    taylor.roberts
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just finished my Honzo build
    -2013 medium frame painted black (bought this way)
    -Rockshox Pike at 140mm
    -Reveb 125mm
    -Avid Elixir 5 brakes with 180mm rotors
    -Raceface Atlas bar
    -Roval wheelset
    -Singled speed with 32 20 gearing

    Love this bike! I thought the 140 fork would be too much with a single speed, but it is super fun!

    Attachment 938570
  • 11-12-2014
    BushwackerinPA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    Just finished my Honzo build
    -2013 medium frame painted black (bought this way)
    -Rockshox Pike at 140mm
    -Reveb 125mm
    -Avid Elixir 5 brakes with 180mm rotors
    -Raceface Atlas bar
    -Roval wheelset
    -Singled speed with 32 20 gearing

    Love this bike! I thought the 140 fork would be too much with a single speed, but it is super fun!

    Attachment 938570

    can you weigh that thing. It is very similar to my bike assuming the wheelset is not carbon. Curious if the new ones are lighter.

  • 11-12-2014
    beer_coffee_water
    The black Honzo is a 2012, not a 2013 or newer. It does not have a seat tube brace on the top tube.
  • 11-14-2014
    Vegard
    What have you guys done to prevent rust? I did the linseedoil trick on the inside to prevent it, but so far it's done diddly squat. Got heaps of it in the seattube.

    In a sense, steel is the perfect framematerial for manufacturers because it withers away and forces people to eventually buy new :P
  • 11-14-2014
    taylor.roberts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    The black Honzo is a 2012, not a 2013 or newer. It does not have a seat tube brace on the top tube.

    Correct, it is a 2012 not a 2013, oops. No idea on weight.
  • 11-14-2014
    superstar1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    What have you guys done to prevent rust? I did the linseedoil trick on the inside to prevent it, but so far it's done diddly squat. Got heaps of it in the seattube.

    In a sense, steel is the perfect framematerial for manufacturers because it withers away and forces people to eventually buy new :P

    Wither away? Not in your life time it won't
  • 11-14-2014
    maximo
    WD40.... or Frame Saver.
  • 11-15-2014
    dzilla
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Wither away? Not in your life time it won't

    lol'd @ this comment
  • 11-16-2014
    Vegard
    Wither and :P should have given it away :rolleyes:

    --

    In other news, dropped another LB off my build.
  • 11-16-2014
    eurospek
    First true outing in the snow. Ever. I don't need no stinking fat bike like lol. And this was on some super worn rear Maxxis Ardent 2.25. Worst part was clipping in. With muddy cleats, there's no problem getting in and out, with ice and packed snow, not so much. Also have to look into better socks and gloves. My fingers and toes (especially) were freezing. But I'm hooked on winter riding.

  • 11-16-2014
    Vegard
    Nice, how cold does it get where you live?
    These work great in sub-freezing temps:
    Amazon.com : Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell Lobster Glove : Cycling Gloves : Sports & Outdoors
  • 11-16-2014
    mattbryant2
    Eurospek - Get yourself a Chunky Monkey for the front and Smorgasbord for the rear. I've just switched to this setup for the winter - big knobs, lots of volume.
  • 11-16-2014
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Eurospek - Get yourself a Chunky Monkey for the front and Smorgasbord for the rear. I've just switched to this setup for the winter - big knobs, lots of volume.

    How's it compare the Ardent in volume? Can I expect the same just different tread design? Which ones did you go with? Which type/compound? I'm liking those prices lol. Easy tubeless?
  • 11-17-2014
    mattbryant2
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How's it compare the Ardent in volume? Can I expect the same just different tread design? Which ones did you go with? Which type/compound? I'm liking those prices lol. Easy tubeless?

    Casings are identical to 2.4/2.25 Ardents (respectively), so air volume should be the same, but the knobs are much beefier, so effective volume (with regard to float and footprint) should be greater. They roll just as well as the Ardents, but have much better bite in loose/wet conditions. I went with the Trail Extreme compound, as I encounter lots of wet rocks and roots on my trails. Tubeless is just as easy as the Ardents - I set mine up tubeless on the same rims you're running with my floor pump without any fuss.

    I think the On-One tires represent a nice middle ground between Ardents and something like Minions - splitting the difference in weight and knobiness.

    If you haven't yet, read this: On-One "Chunky Monkey" 2.4"er Tires: Out Of The Box

    I'd run a Chunky Monkey front and rear through the winter if I could, but clearance in the rear is too tight in my 2013 frame. However, the Smorgasbord is a great tire, too, and does an excellent job out back.
  • 11-18-2014
    Motomaniac94
    1 Attachment(s)
    I have lived in SoCal my whole life and this is my first actual winter sinse i moved to Colorado. I too am riding on an ardent 2.4 upfront but a worn out 2.25 ardent in back. I am surprised how well it works and how fun it is. Other than tight rear wheel clearance the honzo I think makes a great snow bike. Attachment 939931
  • 11-18-2014
    mvallejo
    Nice bike. Where in CO? I recently moved from SoCal to CO as well, and am a bit upset I cannot ride in the winter. Though, I am wondering if my Honzo w/ Ardents could handle some of the trails up here in Fort Collins with a bit of sno.