• 05-30-2013
    spdtrip41
    Seems like it only slipped on my 2012 with the stock seatpost. I just got a 2013 that I am running single speed and I use the sotck post from the 2012 and it didn't slip.
  • 05-31-2013
    el_chupo_
    Im late to the party, but some life happened this past winter and into spring, so the build was slightly delayed. This has been done for a little while, but here she is:

Bought from The Path bike shop

Frame: Honzo ('12)
    Fork: Rev
    headset: FSA

Added

stem: 60mm Specialized (testing sizes)
    bars: Chromag OSX
    brakes: Shimano XT (icetech)
    grips: Chromag Squarewave
    clamp: Chromag QR
    saddle: Chromag Trailmaster
    rims: WTB i23
    hubs: Chris King
    Spokes: DT Comp
    tires: Continental MK 2.4
    Cranks: Sram X9 / MRP 30t Bling Ring
    Chn gde: MRP AMG (28-32t)
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 10spd
    Chain: Shimano 10spd
    Pedals: VP Vice pedals

• 05-31-2013
    CBizzie
    Looks great man! Nice build choices. I dig the red hubs and bars. I just upgraded to the XT brakes...happy with them so far....
  • 05-31-2013
    RideEverything
    3 Attachment(s)
    A bit of an update.

I've finally swapped out the stock Avid Elixer1 brakes to Hayes Stroker Trail front and back.
    The Elixer1's were lacking any real stopping power and they were a serious PIA to get bled correctly.
    It took awhile to source brake adapters for the Strokers. In the end a local CNC shop came through, North Shore Billet.
    I've always liked Hayes - the only exception being the El Caminos. And never had any of the issues that the haters complain about. I love the Stroker's stopping power and lever feel. As well as the ergonomics of the lever.
    Attachment 804417

I also finally received the MRP MicroG2SL chain guide.
    It has been a comedy of errors in regards to getting this. Backordered and then two miscommunications in which guide it was, I finally got the right one.
    There is a bit of drag when in the bigger cogs but it is something I can live with at this point in the epic journey that it has been to get it!
    Another addition is the KMC X9SL-TI chain. Just because.
    Attachment 804418

The full bike in all it's glory.
    Attachment 804419

I've been running the 2.4 Ardent out back with no clearance issues. Even when I had the chainstay sliders at their shortest setting.
    I was running the 2.3 Nobby Nic out back for a little bit but I didn't like the feel of the tire during hard cornering. There was a wobble that wasn't confidence inspiring when leaning the bike over in a hard, fast corner.

I am out-riding the Revelation on almost every ride now. I think when finances allow I'm going to upgrade to a burlier fork.
    Don't get me wrong the Revelation is a decent fork, however, so far this season I seem to have attained a Zen Confidence with the Honzo and every ride I've been working the bike HARD!
    All the other parts are holding up fine.
    Now that I think of it the only stock parts left on my Honzo are the fork, the stem and the Ardent - which originally was on the front!
  • 06-03-2013
    spdtrip41
    1 Attachment(s)
    This is Honzo #2!

I liked the orignal one so much I had to have one that was singlespeed!
  • 06-04-2013
    tvan
    Same problem here. Just took apart the stock Revelation that came on my 2013 to switch it from 120 to 140mm and found no spacers inside. WTF? Aren't these all supposed to be adjustable?
  • 06-04-2013
    howard619
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    Same problem here. Just took apart the stock Revelation that came on my 2013 to switch it from 120 to 140mm and found no spacers inside. WTF? Aren't these all supposed to be adjustable?

Everyone seems to think so, but not in my experience!
  • 06-04-2013
    radnark
    2013 Honzo checking in. Also curious about the Revelation fork and if it's possible to increase the travel.

Having seat slippage issues like many are reporting, what's the best way to fix this, new seat clamp?
  • 06-04-2013
    tvan
    Crazy, they must have a few different shaft sizes instead of using one size with spacers. I wonder if this is only on OEM forks that come on complete bikes. I guess the only solution would be to order a longer shaft.
    So for anyone buying a complete Honzo, don't count on setting your stock fork any more than 120mm. Damn it!!!
  • 06-05-2013
    carabao
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radnark View Post
    2013 Honzo checking in. Also curious about the Revelation fork and if it's possible to increase the travel.

Having seat slippage issues like many are reporting, what's the best way to fix this, new seat clamp?

Toothpaste worked for me. It gives it enough friction to prevent slippage.
  • 06-05-2013
    southj
    150mm pike????
    Hey all

Anyone running a 150mm fork on their Honzo? I have been on a Honzo for 18 months running a stock Revelation fork set at 140mm for all but the first ride. I really like the fork but do over run its capabilities on my favourite tracks and now that the Pike is available I'm ready to upgrade. It's available in solo air at set lengths of 140mm and 150mm travel. Thinking about sticking a 150mm on there. Anyone know max travel kona warranties and other thoughts on this idea?
  • 06-05-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    I'd be interested to try one if it just happened to show up on my doorstep *ahem**ahem* but couldn't justify the price. Other than the damper improvements, I'm not sure that the Pike has much to offer a smaller guy like me.
  • 06-06-2013
    bmxmitch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post

I also finally received the MRP MicroG2SL chain guide.
    It has been a comedy of errors in regards to getting this. Backordered and then two miscommunications in which guide it was, I finally got the right one.
    There is a bit of drag when in the bigger cogs but it is something I can live with at this point in the epic journey that it has been to get it!
    Another addition is the KMC X9SL-TI chain. Just because.
    Attachment 804418
    !

Thats the exact same setup I'm looking for too. ;)
    I only got the problem that there's nearly no way to get it in germany. Looks like I have to order it strait from the US or ebay...

Any tips where I could get it from? Sounds like you could give me some advice there, haha.

edit: Oh and what bb you bought for it? I heard you need some spacers/adapters to run it on the Honzo!? Btw, I have the 2013 Honzo, but I guess they have the same BBs.
  • 06-06-2013
    dfuse
    order online in the uk: MRP Chain Guides | MRP | Evans Cycles
  • 06-06-2013
    bmxmitch
    Ohh, thanks a lot dfuse. That's perfect! :)

Now I only need to know how to adjust it to the BB, or what I need for that.
    Excited that I can have it pretty cheap now though. :D

Btw, thats my ride right now. New pedals and cranks should follow soon. ;)

• 06-06-2013
    RideEverything
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxmitch View Post
    edit: Oh and what bb you bought for it? I heard you need some spacers/adapters to run it on the Honzo!? Btw, I have the 2013 Honzo, but I guess they have the same BBs.

I bought the Truvativ GXP BB because the 2012 Honzo came stock with a cartridge BB which wouldn't work with the AKA crankset.
    As per the installation instructions for a 73mm BB shell I've used no spacers when I fitted the GXP.

Looking at the Kona site it looks as though they've changed the spec of the BB to an external bearing BB for the 2013 Honzo rather than the cartridge BB that came on the 2012. That should mean you won't need to change or add any spacers to the BB for the installation of the chain guide.

While I was waiting for the MRP guide to arrive I fashioned a homemade guide similar to a C-Guide but that didn't stop the chain from jumping off of the top of the ring - there's a picture of it in this thread.
    Eventually I took a file to the stock chain guide so I could move the retention pieces of the guide closer to the 28T ring. It worked but wasn't pretty. If I hadn't already ordered the MRP guide I probably would have continued to use my modified stock guide.
  • 06-06-2013
    tvan
    I might have a solution for limited travel (120mm) on OE Revelation. Ordered a 140mm shaft from QBP. Part # FK7528. Should know this weekend if it works.
  • 06-07-2013
    sheranian
    Can someone tell me if I can run a 203 rotor on the rear?

Thanks!
  • 06-09-2013
    s-wooooooo
    This bike is awesome.

• 06-09-2013
    ILVMTB
    It is awesome. Yours? Is that a revelation?
  • 06-09-2013
    s-wooooooo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ILVMTB View Post
    It is awesome. Yours? Is that a revelation?

Yes and yes. I would have preferred a black fork, but this one came along at too good a price to pass up.

The only change I want to make right now is a neoprene chainstay protector--even with the Shadow+ derailleur, the chain is so close to the chainstay that it's a bit noisy.
  • 06-10-2013
    eurospek
    Never really post any riding shots, my brother took the camera riding this weekend, here goes nothing...

Btw, still loving my Honzo dearly. :D

• 06-10-2013
    eurospek
    And figure I'd update on my clipless experience.

Flats and I haven't been really getting along this season, and it's all I've ever ridden on since high school. Started out on DMR Vaults this year and too small of a size Shimano AM41, switched back to my old Point One Podiums, and not to mention tried various footwear as well (5.10 Freerider/LVXi, Teva Link and Pinner) and back to a bigger size of Shimano AM41 for a day. Still wasn't happy with the fit I was used to with Van Authentics and was always put off by going clipless, more so afraid of eating it and falling. I went as far as having ordered a set of Shimano AM45 SPD shoes and Shimano XT 785 Trail SPD pedals from Jenson only to return them a few weeks ago.

But fast forward to Saturday night when I finally manned up and ordered the same pedals again from backcountry get rid of a gift certificate I had and after days of searching proper footwear and not really being thrilled with the fit of my previous Shimano AM41, I didn't even bother getting them again is SPD flavor AM45, although hard to argue with their price of $75 from Jenson. Not knowing I would be going clipless for the long haul, ended up ordering a pair of Giro Carbide from Blueskycycling.com for $60. Reviews were good, but the price was even better, 40% off retail, figured I would be taking the smallest hit if I'm going back to flats.

I planned on riding around the neighborhood on Saturday to get comfortable but things have gotten busy and I was installing the pedals at 10 pm. Good for me, no one to see me eat **** when I fall over on the grass. Installed some Shimano SH-56 Multi-release cleats, adjusted the tension and proceeded to get on my bike. In the garage. Right leg clipped in after 5 minutes of trying to figure out the right movement, the left leg not so much. Headed back inside, read the Shimano tech doc again, read a couple threads and proceeded to try again. This time it was less of a fight but no where near comfortable still. Took a quick ride up and down my driveway to get a feel for them, easily popped a wheelie with no effort now, and put the bike away.

I figured if I was going to commit to clipless, might as well throw myself in the deep water right away. On Sunday proceeded to the trailhead for the weekly 5 hour ride without more practice. Not too mention dealing with my brother's remarks about going clipless and asking if I ordered a full bib as well. Practiced clipping in the parking lot for a few minutes and proceeded to ride.

And what I've soon realized with the first choppy decent and flowy singletrack is that I've been kinda missing out all these years by riding with flats. Being connected to the bike is an understatement for sure. While you have to be more cautious of knowing when to unclip, it's just the same trying to think where your shoe is on flats for best placement and being able to put the power down.

The difference in soles is quite astonishing as well. While not WC XC carbon fiber stiff, the Giro sole is a couple leagues above any flat pedal shoe I've tried on this year. When before I used to come back fatigued in my feet and soles, my feet still had a few more miles in them to give but was completely drained everywhere else.

Which leads me to their awesome fit, it was the first and only true XC-styled SPD shoe I've tried ever and stoked on the fit on the first try. Definitely lot less toe box wiggle room than the Shimano AM41 but still very form fitting with zero pressure points, no extra insoles needed, just a thicker ankle cut sock as I'm used to riding with super low cut no shoe socks, the tongue being new and quite stiff was kinda digging into my bare skin. With the higher socks, it was all good, and at the end of the ride, it has gotten a lot more softer as well.

So did I fall on my first day on the actual trail? I did fall over 2 separate times but that was when I was completely stationary waiting for my brother to put his camera gear away and I was playing around trying to clip in and out. It was the matter of wrong foot positioning or crank rotation placement, lost my balance and fell over the side. No harm done. Luckily I unclipped when I needed to on the trail for narrow trees, abrupt stops, etc. And only really ate it once when hitting sand and washing out the front end, but I've done so many times on flats before, so can't really fault the SPD pedals.

CN: Bought some SPD pedals and XC shoes. Completely stoked!!! Selling my flats and shoes and never looking back!

• 06-10-2013
    carabao
    I enjoyed reading about your experience with clipless. It only gets better and more intuitive. I recommend using the SH51 cleat for going over bumpy/rocky/rooty trails at speed because they ONLY release when you turn your heel, so no unexpected ejections. It does allow you to cheat by floating over stuff that your rear wheel would usually have to hit harder to maintain pedal contact. Stick with it, it's great being able to run both.

Another benefit is no more pedal bite scars. Your shins don't lie.:D

CN: Bought some SPD pedals and XC shoes. Completely stoked!!! Selling my flats and shoes and never looking back!

[/QUOTE]
  • 06-10-2013
    radnark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    I might have a solution for limited travel (120mm) on OE Revelation. Ordered a 140mm shaft from QBP. Part # FK7528. Should know this weekend if it works.

Looking forward to an update :thumbsup:
  • 06-11-2013
    p4nh4ndle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carabao View Post

Another benefit is no more pedal bite scars. Your shins don't lie.:D

Or just get a pair of of proper length socks. That'll hide 'em good.
  • 06-15-2013
    PHeller
    Anyone down to 25lbs on a geared large Honzo?
  • 06-15-2013
    chowdapilot
    Is the fork in question a solo air or dual air? I was at my LBS the other day and was told the solo airs are not adjustable but the dual airs are.
  • 06-15-2013
    Sheepo5669
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here she is in her glory!
    Attachment 808438
    Attachment 808439

Bought the frame and fork used from a member here. Powdercoated black.

Just over 27 pounds as built.

Frame-Medium Honzo
    Fork-Marz 44 Micro Ti 29 140mm
    Wheels- Nancy Wide carbon rims, 240 rear hub, Pro II front hub
    Tires- Ardent 2.4 f, Rampage 2.35r
    Brakes-Elixir CR 180f, 160r
    Shifter XX
    Derailleur X0
    Cassette XX 11-32
    Crank M970 XTR 32t ring
    Pedals, old Time Atac Absalon
    Chain keeper, Paul (ran the clamp upside down, Only way to fit it in the frame)
    Stem, 70mm Thomson X4
    Handlebar, Ritchey Pro 720, -5mm drop.
    Seatpost, parts bin Sette 400mm
    Saddle, old flite Ti
    Bottle cage, king steel

So far, this bike shreds DHs! I love it. I originally had it set up SS for the first ride, but it was too much of a pig. This bike definitely needs gears to fly on the descents. Also, geo feels dialed with a 140mm fork.

This thing couldnt be any more different than my 18.5 pound titanium race bike... Im afraid to switch back to it!

Soon to be upgrades:
    KS LEV dropper post(on the way)
    Race face Atlas 785mm flat bars (never thought I would think 720s were too narrow)
    X9 shifter(xx is borrowed from my race bike)
    1070 12-36(cuz the bike is a pig to climb on)
    Fresh Ardent up front
    180mm rotor out back

Later,
    Sheepo
  • 06-16-2013
    Pier
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hardcore from Italy
    Attachment 808578

soon photo and build
  • 06-19-2013
    carabao
    [QUOTE=Sheepo5669;10470052]Here she is in her glory!
    Attachment 808438
    Attachment 808439

Looks sick in black. Nice ride!:thumbsup:
  • 06-19-2013
    carabao
    Nice bike, Pier! Is that a Float 34 on there?
  • 06-19-2013
    carabao
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 06-19-2013
    eurospek
    How are you liking those?
  • 06-19-2013
    NslrPrtn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Here she is in her glory!
    Attachment 808438

Looks like she went to a good home, bonne chance.
  • 06-19-2013
    carabao
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How are you liking those?

Need more time on them, but here are my initial impressions.
    -Huge knobs
    -Only a tad slower than 2.4 Ardents and I'm not even sure if they are but those knobs leave that impression on me.
    -Haven't washed or drifted on them yet like I do when I'm pushing 2.4 Ardents.
    -I have a 2.4 Ardent in the rear and on two occasions I felt the rear drift, but the Minion railed. Usually I'd experience a two wheel drift.
    -It's about the same size as an Ardent, but should stretch to be 2mm wider according to this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...-a-852284.html

I'll post my final impressions in about a week, but so far I'm liking them.
  • 06-22-2013
    Pier
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Nice bike, Pier! Is that a Float 34 on there?

VAN 36 :cool:
    Now I have a broken shoulder, I make better pictures when I heal.

Minion 29, finaly! my next front tyres, now I have the On One On-One Chunky Monkey 29"x2.4" Tyre trail extreme
  • 06-22-2013
    bmxmitch
    Updated my Honzo a little ;)

Only need a bigger chain to make it run smoother.

• 06-23-2013
    dfuse
    Anyone else got a problem aligning the rear disc brake callipers on the Honzo? Been at it for half an hour, just can't get them right. The front ones were aligned correctly from the first try. The rear one always rubs on one particular place, as if the wheel/rotor aren't perfectly straight.
  • 06-23-2013
    dfuse
    3 Attachment(s)
    Finally, she is finished!
    Took me a while...(edit: added better pictures)
    It's amazing how different this bike is to the 2005 Trek 6500 I just sold, so playful! I already had to jump off twice when trying to do wheelies while I couldn't even lift the front wheel of my old Trek.

• XL Frame
    • Rockshox Revelation 140mm (Anyone know what the LS, COMP, +, - dial does?? Can't find a manual anywhere)
    • Chromag Fubar OSX, Renthal Kevlar grips
    • Thomson Elite X4 Stem 50mm, Hope spacers and Head Doctor
    • Thomson Elite stem, Fizik Gobi saddle and Hope seatpost clamp
    • XX1 crank w/ 32t Wolftooth spiderless ring
    • DMR Vault pedals
    • Surly 18t rear cog + Surly spacer kit (their manual is awesome for getting the perfect chainline, just measure the chainline and look up the number and order of spacers in their chart)
    • DT Swiss 240s hubs
    • ZTR Flox EX rims
    • Shimano Zee brakes, Icetec rotor 180/203
    • MK King 2.2 rear, 2.4 front

I still have to buy a shock pomp, as you can (barely) see it already almost bottomed out. (Edit: taken care of).
    The rear disc is still rubbing the brake pads, I'm fairly certain the rotor is not entirely straight, I can see it wobble a bit at the same moment I hear the rub when I spin it. Not sure what I'm going to do about it, it's very minor.
    Edit: meanwhile I also corrected my chain tension, stretched a bit after my first few rides.

Attachment 811261Attachment 811262
  • 07-04-2013
    CBizzie
    1 Attachment(s)
    OK so I (finally) pulled the spacer while servicing my dual air Rev to go to 140mm travel. I have to say at first I did not like it much - the steering seemed to wander a bit while climbing - and I had seriously numb fingers after only 25 minutes or so.

...long story short I realized I had some fit issues and swapped the 60mm stem for 50mm and made some cockpit adjustments - a couple rides later and WOW! feels perfect! Brought me back just enough to take weight off the bars, handles like a beast when pointing downhill and I've really adjusted my body position on climbs so don't notice any ill effects on climbing with the longer travel. No numbness whatsoever...

I did notice more rear tire rub on the chainstays - mainly when ripping and carving downhill - but I have the 142 dropouts and maxle on order so that should take care of that...

Anyone on the fence about going to 140 should really give it a go - I was reluctant due to the potential geo effects on climbing but it really feels like the bike comes alive a bit more at 140mm. Here is a shot from this morning's ride in PHX - 92degrees at 6am! Happy Fourth everyone....
  • 07-06-2013
    s-wooooooo
    Updated with white saddle (I can't believe I put a white saddle on a MTB, but it just looks so damn goooood). Now if only my XX1 bits would get here...

• 07-08-2013
    madtrix
    That looks really nice and racey :)
    What size is it?
  • 07-08-2013
    s-wooooooo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by madtrix View Post
    That looks really nice and racey :)
    What size is it?

It's a small. It's not really intended to be racey. Problem is, I'm short so I had to go to extreme measures to get the (trailbike) fit I wanted with the 29" wheels! :eekster:

I'm really happy with it. It's perfect for the trails here around Asheville.
  • 07-09-2013
    lubes17319
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Can someone tell me if I can run a 203 rotor on the rear?

Thanks!

Yep, I run Alligator WindCutter 203mm f/r

My 2012 was in its element Saturday, when we did a 4,000' descent beginning at 13,000'.

• 07-11-2013
    Badbinder77
    Subscribed: Definitely think the honzo will be my next bike!
  • 07-15-2013
    superstar1
    Just seen the 2014 Honzo, not as good looking, still raw steel but with a lime tint, that's crap because I hate green:(
  • 07-15-2013
    Gouda Cheez
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here
    You saw it and didn't snap pics for us? :)
  • 07-15-2013
    goldenaustin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    You saw it and didn't snap pics for us? :)

He snapped some pics and posted them here:

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | HONZO
  • 07-15-2013
    dfuse
    Uck, green isn't my colour either. Then again, I also disliked the 2013 colour when I saw it on picture, but IRL I'm loving it.