Page 18 of 80 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks eurospek. I'll look into the fox 34. Just afraid that it may be outta my budget. Are you saying the difference in the RCT3 is negligible over the RL? What renthals specifically? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2064 View Post
    Long time reader first time poster. I'm looking to build a 2012 Honzo SS. I just bought the frame and am wanting to do my first ground up build. I'm coming from a Haro Mary SS. I'm a big guy bout 6'1" 240lbs. So I'd like for this build to be as stout as possible. I'm essentially looking for a build that will last me awhile but not wanting to spend crazy amounts of money. I was gonna start with a 2012 large Honzo frame and a 140mm Revelation RCT3 front fork. Can anyone recommend a SS build list for the rest of the parts for me? Thanks
    Check out this build: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I'm *still* working on my build, I bought an XX1 crankset, a wolftooth 32t chainring, a surly cog + spacers for the rear. dt swiss hubs, flow ex rims, chromag osx fubars, and also the rct3 that was/is on discount on crc. They shipped me a wrong bottom headset, I'm waiting for the exchange on that to finally put my bike together.

mtbr member
    Thanks eurospek. I'll look into the fox 34. Just afraid that it may be outta my budget. Are you saying the difference in the RCT3 is negligible over the RL? What renthals specifically? Thanks
    The X-Fusion Trace 140 fork is worth checking out, cheaper than Fox 34, but same 34mm legs. No idea if they are finally in stock though. As for Renthals, they only make one model, one color. You just need to decide on length and rise. I've been wanting to try out a set of them forever now, just hard giving up my Chromag OSX bars. And I'm on the hunt for some 800mm bars now.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Long time reader first time poster. I'm looking to build a 2012 Honzo SS. I just bought the frame and am wanting to do my first ground up build. I'm coming from a Haro Mary SS. I'm a big guy bout 6'1" 240lbs. So I'd like for this build to be as stout as possible. I'm essentially looking for a build that will last me awhile but not wanting to spend crazy amounts of money. I was gonna start with a 2012 large Honzo frame and a 140mm Revelation RCT3 front fork. Can anyone recommend a SS build list for the rest of the parts for me? Thanks

Hey Brad2064,

I built my Honzo up SS and went with
    -Surly cog and chainring both have been good to me with no issues.

-SLX brakes and cranks are also recommended here. I started with 175mm on the cranks but ended up switching to 170mm due to a good amount of pedal strikes.

-Truvativ AKA stem (black) and bar (ice grey). Looked into Chromag and Renthal but decided to save some cash and I am happy with the route I took.

-130mm (adjustable to 120 or 140) RS Revelation RL from CRC. The fork was affordable and has treated me fine, can't say I notice flexing but I can't compare it to another fork so there is that. I have noticed some creaking up front which I am ok with. I weigh 190 without gear.

-Built up Hope Pro 2 Evo's on WTB i23 rims and they have been great, super easy to mount tubeless. I would def recommend as an alternative to Stans.
    Mostly a rigid SS, sometimes a geared HT

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Bmreal: thanks for the great specifics on your build. Just what I needed.

On a side note, what is the longest travel shock you can get away with on this frame? Is 170mm out of the question? Just ridiculous? Better to stick around 140mm? Thanks

mtbr member
    Bmreal: thanks for the great specifics on your build. Just what I needed.

On a side note, what is the longest travel shock you can get away with on this frame? Is 170mm out of the question? Just ridiculous? Better to stick around 140mm? Thanks
    What single crown 29er fork comes with 170mm?? Do tell.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Haha. Yea that does sound suspect, but my plan was to modify a Fox 36. Thoughts? Besides you shouldn't hack up a perfectly good fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    [QUOTE=bmreal;10395555]Hey Brad2064,

I built my Honzo up SS and went with

-130mm (adjustable to 120 or 140) RS Revelation RL from CRC. The fork was affordable and has treated me fine, can't say I notice flexing but I can't compare it to another fork so there is that. I have noticed some creaking up front which I am ok with. I weigh 190 without gear.

I finally got mine built up and went the same route as you with the RS Revelation RL 130mm, although it wasn't adjustable to 140mm. Unless I'm missing something.

I'm attaching a pic of what I found inside mine. It looks like a spacer that can be removed, but I believe it's part of the bump stop, because I couldn't separate it.

Have you actually adjusted yours?

Anyone who knows, please school me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1119.jpg  

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Howard619,

I have not actually adjusted my fork yet.
    The link Eurospek posted should be helpful if you haven't checked it already. My understanding is that you should be able to remove the plastic "spacer" furthest right on your photo to gain travel or add another spacer to reduce the travel. My fork came with 2 extra spacers for this, just haven't done it.
    Mostly a rigid SS, sometimes a geared HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Eurospek...I used that as my guide when I did the work.

Bmreal - please keep me posted if you try it. I personally would like that little bit of travel and slackness.

Does anyone know of a headset with offset cups that will slacken the 44mm ID headtube like the Honzo uses? Not sure if the CaneCreek makes their Angleset in 44mm, but I'm a bit reluctant to try that one with the negative reviews I've heard related to alignment and creaking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've done some searching and couldn't find anything on the topic, so I thought to post here since there seem to be a few running the Rockshox Revelation RL.

My damper seems really loud on the return stroke. Is this normal? The fork feels super plush and controlled otherwise. I thought it might be air mixing with oil, but after stripping down the fork and refilling it, I added the recommended amount of oil which pretty much tops out the damper chamber with no room for air to mix. Also makes me question the point of a bladder as used in the new Pike and Fox Fits.

Thanks in advance for anyone replies!

mtbr member
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's the one I'd like to get, but they don't seem to make one for 44mm headtubes. I've emailed them about it and haven't received a response either.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Last edited by Balder; 05-21-2013 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Holy crap! I thought these frames were bomb proof. What do you mean you drove of the side of a one foot bridge? You just dropped one foot and the frame broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Balder View Post

Here is a picture of my Honzo. Just drove of the side of a 1 foot ladder bridge. Kona would not take any warranty claims. Dont really know if i want to buy a new Kona frame, even though i was really happy with the geo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's a stout frame, but you can't really expect it to take a hit like that and survive. 4130 does not dent easily so that must have been a hell of a hit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Last edited by Balder; 05-22-2013 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh?

There are bigger guys here riding their Honzo very aggressively, RideEverything is one of them who comes to mind, he shreds on his Honzo from the pics and vids he post. I for one was well over 250 lb last year, 6'4" and had no problems with 1 to 2 foot drops on my frame. Wasn't even much trouble for me Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset as well. This is one stout frame, much stiffer from my previous Transition TransAM and On-One 456 Summer Season.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Here is a picture of my Honzo. Just drove of the side of a 1 foot ladder bridge. Kona would not take any warranty claims. Dont really know if i want to buy a new Kona frame, even though i was really happy with the geo.
    From Kona's site
    "New for 2012 we introduce the Honzo, a balls-out, aggressive all-mountain 29er Cromoly hardtail."
    What size frame is that? I wonder if the smaller frames are susceptible to this type of failure because of the lack of triangulation and the seat tube gusset. I hope you're alright. You must have went over the bars.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well i am "only" 85kg = 188 Lbs and the frame was a medium.

mtbr member
    I'm not doubting your story, but I weigh 200lbs and have done some good drops and all is good. Did you land badly? It looks like you ran directly into the ground, or into the back of a parked car!

Well i am "only" 85kg = 188 Lbs and the frame was a medium.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    The front end should be bent the other direction...one would think. Either way, that sucks. I have a lightly used (compared to yours) 18" for sale if interested.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Last edited by Balder; 05-22-2013 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Why did they refuse your warranty claim?

Bnerd
    I love the JRA* destroyed frame stories!
    I was JRA and my bike totally exploded! I swear I wasn't doing anything massive!

* JRA - Just Riding Along

There has to be more to the story than what you're telling us.
    Just riding off of a 1 foot drop does not result in a frame this badly damaged. Thats like riding off of a large curb.
    That damage looks like the bike was smashed head-on into something. As someone else stated, the way the frame is bent indicates a force from a different direction other than riding off of a drop.

Yes, I am questioning the validity of your "story".

mtbr member
    29er wheels are so strong they crunched the Honzo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Last edited by Balder; 05-21-2013 at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    so, basically, you're telling us you crashed "of [sic] a ... ladder bridge," not rode or dropped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Looks like it's been run over by a truck after falling off a bike rack on the way to the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The last time I saw damage like that it was caused by the owner entering a car park in a car with the bike in a roof mounted rack. There was one of those overhead height limiter/restrictor things and the driver forgot that the bike was being carried and attempted to drive under it, obviously totalled the bike and caused further costly damage to the roof of the vehicle.

mtbr member
    I think the guy already left...some suspicious minds here! dunno why he would lie?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Makes no sense why he would lie, but his story also makes no sense. Maybe he was hoping to get some exposure and the news would get to Kona and would possibly get a new frame. The fact that he has deleted everything after a few people questioned the validity of his claims kinda tells me we were right. Of course, I have no idea what happened, but I can tell you absolutely that going off a 1foot drop will not damage even a cross country frame like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    I think the guy already left...some suspicious minds here! dunno why he would lie?

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I think I need to try gears... Ever since I started riding I have been all about the singlespeed. I have only ever needed the ONE gear. Now, I love the crap out of riding my Honzo, but I have to say it is really exhausting to ride compared to the XC bikes I am used to. It seems to take twice the amount of energy to ride. So am I crazy, or would I get a lot more fun out of it with a 1x9 set up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am in the opposite position. I love riding singlespeed, but I bought the full Honzo build with 1x9. I like it a lot, but I miss riding singlespeed. I have been riding it in one gear to get the feel for it and I like it. I decided to get another frame to build as a singlespeed and that one will probably get more ride time.

I can kind of see what you are saying about it taking more energy, but I think it is more of a setup issue. Not sure how yours is setup, but I've got mine setup for more comnfortable descending. Bigger tires and higher bar height so it does take more effort, but i think it wouldn't be as noticeable if it were setup more xc style.

With that said, I do like the 1x9 setup also. I can ride that pretty much everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    I think I need to try gears... Ever since I started riding I have been all about the singlespeed. I have only ever needed the ONE gear. Now, I love the crap out of riding my Honzo, but I have to say it is really exhausting to ride compared to the XC bikes I am used to. It seems to take twice the amount of energy to ride. So am I crazy, or would I get a lot more fun out of it with a 1x9 set up?

mtbr member
    May 2013

My honzo

Here's the Honzo. Just put XX1 on it along with a slew of other goods. I love this bike! I have not yet seen one with XX1 so I thought you all might enjoy this.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am going with garage, drive-through, or other low-hanging fruit of doom for bicycles that committed this crime. I'd say parking garage is a good bet. Otherwise he must have really been JRA'in........

Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Holy crap! I thought these frames were bomb proof. What do you mean you drove of the side of a one foot bridge? You just dropped one foot and the frame broke?

mtbr member
    looking nice jonboy!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well thank you! The last touch will be a dropper post!

Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    looking nice jonboy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    jonboy,

How does it ride with the XX1?
    Is it more versatile?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is it the geometry fork length or components that make it tougher to ride single speed? I'm considering picking up a frame and riding it single speed but now I don't know. Is anyone else out there running their Honzo single?

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Is it the geometry fork length or components that make it tougher to ride single speed? I'm considering picking up a frame and riding it single speed but now I don't know. Is anyone else out there running their Honzo single?
    Mostly, it's because the bike is just so damn playful it makes me ride harder and burn out faster. Drop offs that I used to just roll down I now huck off. I find myself charging every little root ball and lip to jump off of it. So it's not so much the bike, it's the way I ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nope you're not crazy, I felt the exact same thing and switched over to 1x9 for now. My SS rigid XC setup has been 32x20 with 80mm suspension corrected rigid fork, and was drained the first ride out on my Honzo setup as SS, same gearing with 140mm Revelation. Descending more than made up for the tough climbing on that gearing though. Since then, I've been riding it 1x9, and flipping between just the 23t and 20t cogs out back has been working out great. I have been toying with the idea of going back to SS with a 21t or 22t cog, but the idea of having on the fly options is nice.

mtbr member
    Anybody else have the following problem with the Honzo:

Your Honzo is such a good bike that it's pushed your riding to a new level; but now, you're wondering if you should try a full suspension 26" bike?

Also, slipping seatposts...

These are tough problems to have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have ridden my Blur LT after the Honzo and the Honzo is still more fun. I did get a chance to demo a Trance X 29er and that was also an amazing bike. It was just as playful as the Honzo. Getting air on the Trance was so easy and comfortable. Although it was a much more comfortable ride, I still am happier with the Honzo. There is a connection you feel with the trail that you just don't get on a fs.

I definitely do have the seatpost slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    Anybody else have the following problem with the Honzo:

Your Honzo is such a good bike that it's pushed your riding to a new level; but now, you're wondering if you should try a full suspension 26" bike?

These are tough problems to have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are the seatpost slippages on 2012 or 2013 bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mine slipped, but I was using a crappy collar. Got a Salsa and no more slippage. Although, the fit is slightly looser than my other bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Are the seatpost slippages on 2012 or 2013 bikes?

mtbr member
    For all the times that I want to lower my post in the middle of a ride, I should just get an allen bolt collar...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post

No slippage on mine (2012 frame, 30.9 KS post with shim, stock QR).

Sold my 26" FS and never miss it, but the banshee prime does get most of my riding time. It's a good "bigger brother" to the honzo.

mtbr member
    Zero slippage with a Chromag QR and a Thomson and Reverb post. Your results may vary.
    konahonzo