Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    Cackalackey just quoted my pic. My LBS was nice enough to let me pull the frame from a stock build and order me some 135 dropouts. I'm told frames won't go out until October sometime.
    So, who's the first to PM you for the 142x12 dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Cackalackey did you order your frame online or have a hook up. I'm waiting for mine and am wondering if they are starting to produce them.

I really like the white fork on it! Guess that makes it easier to buy a Fox Float 140 rather than trying to find a float in black.
    Or the best of both worlds, black crown, white lowers.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    A pop bottle and zap straps did the job!
    Haha! Fantastic idea for the chain guide! You just gave me an idea for my converted SS
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This type of chainguide is called c-guide (by Biconicon) or scs (by Syntace, mostly for litevilles) - if you don't want to make your own

mtbr member
    Lovin' my Honzo with 140 up front now. Do yourself a favor and add the extra 20mm up front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-11.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-3-1.jpg  

Last edited by playdead; 09-25-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Reba or Revelation you got there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Reba or Revelation you got there?
    Revelation. Having a tapered fork really makes a difference! I was always a bit skeptical until I tried one. I always thought, "how much of a difference can that make?" well folks, it does make that much more of a difference. It's super responsive and reliable in the heat of the moment in those sketchy techy spots of a trail.

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 frame set, now I'm just waiting on my 2013 Float 34 RLC in white to show up from Fox and I'll take some pics. I'm getting the fork as a warranty replacement and was able to get an RLC damper instead of the CTD damper. We'll see how it is. The fork will be kind of unique because it will have the more linear 2013 spring rate but with a 2012 RLC damper.

Oh, and it will be set at 120mm. With a cane creek headset, that makes the A-C measurement less than 3mm taller than the stock build with a FSA headset and RS Revelation.

Rockshox & FSA headset: 541.72mm
    Fox 34 @ 120mm & Cane Creek headset: 544mm

I'm getting the new frame set because I think the color will match my white fork better, and I wanted the increased stand over clearance.

If you know anyone looking for an 18" '12 Honzo, let me know.

mtbr member
    Would love to see some real world numbers of how much increased SO you really are getting.

And that's definitely an interesting approach to have matching stuff lol, why not buy a new frame.

BTW, is your fork shipping at 120mm from Fox? I know the new 2013 Floats aren't droppable in travel via a simple spacer, it's a little more complicated than that, AFAIK requiring a new air spring cartridge with the proper travel (120, 130, 140mm).

mtbr member
    Would love to see some real world numbers of how much increased SO you really are getting.

And that's definitely an interesting approach to have matching stuff lol, why not buy a new frame.

BTW, is your fork shipping at 120mm from Fox? I know the new 2013 Floats aren't droppable in travel via a simple spacer, it's a little more complicated than that, AFAIK requiring a new air spring cartridge with the proper travel (120, 130, 140mm).
    Yeah, they had to use a 2012 spring cartridge. Does that mean I won't have the more linear spring rate?? Oh well.

the air is thin up here..
    eurospek, any update on your revelation vs fox?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. CC geared hanger

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    An email response from Kona Tech indicated that they dropouts would not be available online and suggested that I contact a local dealer. I also talked to someone on the phone at the Kona Store and he confirmed that they would not show up on the USA store for awhile, however I could place an order over the phone with them.

No hint at price was given. The droupouts shown on the international store are sold individually, not in pairs (drive and non-drive sides). So I assume an MAXLE will not be included, espicially since it costs around $50 by itself.
    I just purchased a Kona Dr. Fine, and I'm searching for the geared version of the CC sliding dropout. Kona informed me that the Honzo uses the same dropout. The Honzo looks really nice by the way. If I choose to go down the 29'er path, it's a bike I will consider.

Do any of you know of a online shop that stock these particular geared hangers? Kona asked me to go a Kona dealer, but we don't really have a full fledged Kona shop in Copenhagen (Denmark). Chainreaction stock the SS version. But that's about the only intershop that come close.

Cheers,

Lui

Bnerd
    Here's some feedback on the 28T Bling Ring.
    I've had a few solidly big rides with the ring now. The latest ride had 1035m/3400ft of climbing on logging road to a big tech descent.

Most of the riding in Whistler is straight up to almost straight down. I don't notice the loss of the harder gears because I never used them when out on the trail. I only run out of gears when commuting to the trailhead on the road and paved multi-use trails. But, really, it's not like I'm being timed when I ride to the trails so I don't find it a negative that I can't pedal the bike any faster!

From the 32T to the 28T I've gained two and a half more easy gears. The way it works out is between the 3rd and 4th cog on the cassette it's half way in gearing ratios from the easiest gear I had with the 32T chain ring. (Did that make any sense!)

On the long sustained big climbs I don't feel that I'm working my legs as hard I did previously. I can still stay seated and power through the climbs with slightly less effort than before. At the top my legs don't feel completely done as they have in the past.

I'm also finding that on the bigger rides that having access to more easier gearing is great near the end of the ride when my energy is low. Instead of struggling to put the power down on up-and-over features I can motor through them in the easiest gear that's available to me now.

You definitely need to get a proper chain guide. My DIY guide is doing the job admirably. However, in the choppy descending the chain jumps off the top of the ring if I don't have the chain on the biggest cog in the back to keep tension. Sometimes that catches me out when I need to put in a power stroke because I'm sitting in the easiest gear. Although, it has forced me to get off the brakes as to carry more speed. Which makes for not having to use power strokes!

A note about the AKA cranks: they are noticeably stiffer that the stock Gravity Step-Up cranks! I knew the Step-Up cranks had flex but I didn't realize how flexy they were until I installed the AKA cranks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    eurospek, any update on your revelation vs fox?
    Short review: I sold the Revelation, made a few bucks after shipping.

The biggest factor I liked about the Revelation was its weight. Other than that, it was definitely different than the Fox 34 @ 140mm. Right off the the bat, my cockpit was much lower without playing with spacers underneath the Thomson 50mm stem. I couldn't really find a comfortable bar height to what I was accustomed to with the Fox 34 set up (with only a 2.5mm spacer underneath the stem, 785mm 25mm Chromag OSX bars). It just felt like the bike was a size smaller, it was a weird ride around the neighborhood. The front end was definitely easier to lift off the ground though. Didn't even bother installing the Raceface Atlas FR bars since their rise was even shorter than the Chromags. I thought I would enjoy a lower rise bar and attack position but I was wrong.

In terms of stiffness, you could easily tell the Fox 34 crown and stanchions worked as advertised because when I put the front wheel between my legs and twisted the bars with the Revelation installed, you could feel more movement and twisting (now not only in the bars) than with the Fox 34 (but it was sure quiet without any creaking ). The quick ride around my neighborhood was more than enough to know that I won't like it any better on the trail and didn't even bother getting it dirty so I can sell it. From a braking standpoint, I was expecting miracles with the 20mm Maxle after people's comparisons to the Fox 15QR, to me it was a wash. I even found the 15QR easier and quicker to open and close.

But the Revelation was super plush for a fork with zero riding hours in it. My Fox took a few riding hours to open up. So without the magical Kashima coating, I did like the way it cycled through its travel from the get go.

And from a visual standpoint, the Honzo with the Revelation didn't look as stout and tough as before. Definitely looks better with bigger stanchions.

Another interesting point was playing around with the Dual Air setup. The reason why I sold my first Revelation RLT was finding out Rockshox dropped it in 2013 in favor of Solo Air. Then I bought the Talas 34. I like simplicity when it comes to fork tuning. I'll set it up once during the season in terms of psi, rebound and compression and never really touch it again. I made sure to follow the proper way of setting up the Dual Air system, but I could never get more than 135mm of stanchion showing. And there were no spacers installed. The Fox 34 has well over 140mm of stanchion showing. I thought that was weird for the Revelation since it was suppose to be 140mm of travel.

All in all, I would have no problem recommending the Revelation to lightweight riders, like my brother who's only 5'10" and 150 lbs, but for my weight of 230 lbs and 6'4" stature, I would pony up the $$$ again for a Fox 34 fork now after finding out the grass isn't exactly greener on the other side.

If SRAM can make a mini Lyrik 29er fork with 140mm of travel, Solo Air, and a 20mm Maxle, 34/35 stanchions then I would love to try that. But for a big hit 29er fork 120+mm travel, I think Fox has the market covered at the moment. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new X-Fusion Trace 140 fork.

mtbr member

All in all, I would have no problem recommending the Revelation to lightweight riders, like my brother who's only 5'10" and 150 lbs, but for my weight of 230 lbs and 6'4" stature, I would pony up the $$$ again for a Fox 34 fork now after finding out the grass isn't exactly greener on the other side.
    6'4" at 230. Yeah, larger stanchions is probably a good idea.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    I'm 5'6" or so. I have an 18" Unit as well. The 16" didn't feel right to me. The ETT was shorter so I had to run a longer stem.

The only issue I have with the 18" is with the Reverb. Specifically, my legs are too short and the 18" seattube is too long to allow full extension even with the seatpost slammed to the collar. It's a compromise I can live with.
    How's the TT clearance of the 18" for you?

I'm 5'7" and the effective TT on the 16" would seem spot on for me (haven't tried; just going by numbers). But the TT on the 16" would be still be too high.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

After extensive measuring and weighing here's what I found:

weight: '12 6lbs. 11 oz vs. '13 7lbs. (both weighed w/ Cane Creek headset, seat clamp and dropouts)

stand over: Absolutely no differences between frames.

The frames are unchanged except for the box gusset on '13 version. Once I build it up and ride it I'll post pics and riding impressions. I suspect the new frame is stiffer, but I'll let you know if I really feel a difference. It will be difficult to tell though because I'm also switching over to the Fox 34 fork. I'll post my findings Friday evening.

mtbr member

'12 vs. '13 Comparison Pics

So, if you get a 2013 Honzo it will have the same geometry as a 2012, but it will be about 5 ounces heavier because of the seat tube/ top tube gusset, and it may be stiffer. I wonder why they said it had increased stand over? Maybe the fork has a lower A-C measurement, or they used a different headset.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0917.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0921.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0920.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0922.jpg
    Last edited by carabao; 09-27-2012 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Damn, I want a 2013 frameset. Your pics look so nice against the 2012 blue.

Did your frameset come with the 142x12 dropout or standard QR? Care to snap a pic of the former, curious to see how they look as sliders.

As for the spec changes, both years have the same FSA headset, and the Revelation A-2-C hasn't changed either. Weird. Just a marketing technique to get us on a new frame.

mtbr member
    Damn, I want a 2013 frameset. Your pics look so nice against the 2012 blue.

Did your frameset come with the 142x12 dropout or standard QR? Care to snap a pic of the former, curious to see how they look as sliders.

As for the spec changes, both years have the same FSA headset, and the Revelation A-2-C hasn't changed either. Weird. Just a marketing technique to get us on a new frame.
    I'll post pics of the dropouts. Hopefully, the gusset makes a noticeable difference in stiffness, not that the frame was noodlely in the first place, but I'd like to think the extra weight was doing something. Pics on the way.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0924.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0927.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0923.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0925.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0926.jpg
    Last edited by carabao; 09-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks, definitely let us know what Kona tells you. As for the gusset on the top tube/seat tube, I don't think it will do much in terms of stiffness other than benefiting people with a ton of seat post showing.

mtbr member
    The final version of my Honzo :
    Frame 18
    RockShox Revelation RTC3 140mm
    Kona DH stem 50mm
    XLC flat bar 760mm
    Esi Grips
    Token headset
    Reverb 125mm seatpost
    Formula R1 carbon brakes with 160mm disks
    WTB seat
    Sram XX cassette and chain
    Sram X9 mech
    THM BB
    S-works crank
    27 T Ti chainrings and home made carbon bash
    Notube Arch EX / Sapim CXRay / Aivee hubs (French)
    Maxxis Ardent 2.40 front and rear (850grs per tire ! )
    Time pedals
    12.2kgrs for ride all inclusive.

mtbr member
    Nice job!

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0933.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0934.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0929.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0935.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0932.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0938.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0928.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0930.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0937.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0931.jpg

'13 Honzo 18"
    Fox 34 120 RLC Float
    SLX cranks
    Cane Creek headset
    32 x 11-34 (9 speed)
    N-gear Jumpstop
    Straitline AMP pedals
    Shimano Saint derailleur
    Fox DOSS 125mm drop post
    Specialized Henge saddle
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Raceface Atlas bars 785mm uncut
    Stans Notubes Flow EX wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4s front and rear
    Shimano XT brakes/rotors
    ODI Rogue lock-ons

30 lbs. 10 ounces,with a dropper, 29 lbs. 10 ounces with Thomson seatpost.

Bottom bracket is at 12 3/8". It feels nimbler with the new fork due to the increased offset.
    Full write up when I return from Idllwild.

*I have a 2012 18" Honzo w/ 142x12 dropouts for sale (Kona won't have the 135x10 dropouts in stock until November).

**I also have Fox DOSS 125mm drop for sale in perfect condition.

PM me if you're interested in either.
    Last edited by carabao; 09-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    That looks awesome!

Although I'm lost at what Frankenstein fork you received lol, CTD sticker, 2012 RLC damper, and looks like the new 2013 top cap assembly on the air side (which means you got the 2013 Float cartridge)?

Either way, the 2013 color with the white Float looks incredible. Tough call between blue/black and your combo.

Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast