Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast
    the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Hey all,

Thinking about ditching the stock crankset and going spiderless with a blingring 30t....will these cranks work for this application on the Honzo 2012? I tried to research specs but would like to be sure before I order...any other parts I would need? Bottom bracket compatible? I realize I may have to modify/swap out the e*thirteen LS1 chainguide due to the offset chainring...appreciate your help...

Truvativ Aka GXP 3.3 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cbiz....

Edit: probably need the 1.1? not sure since only the cranks (no rings) will be used??
    Whoops, misread the post the first time.

Not sure if those cranks will work with stock BB, but BB's are cheap, just buy a GXP Team BB.

AKA are spiderless. I'd imagine the 1.1s are the same arms with a single-ring spider. I'd just get whatever's cheapest.

mtbr member
    I am looking too, but all the $100 cranksets at jenson are 170mm...

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 100mm fork on their Honzo? Think it would mess up the steering too much? I cracked my Salsa frame and need a replacement, the Honz looks kinda interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think your BB gets too low, which cranks do you want to run?

I mounted the Continental Rubberqueen 2,2" on Flows and i only got 1,5cm on the left and 4-5mm on the right side clearence between the tire and chainstays - i thought it is possible to run a 2,4" Ardent? Or ist the 2,4" Ardent similiar to the 2,2" RQ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Anyone running a 100mm fork on their Honzo? Think it would mess up the steering too much? I cracked my Salsa frame and need a replacement, the Honz looks kinda interesting.
    I used a 100mm Reba until a managed to remove the spacer and turn it into a 120mm. It actually worked just fine with the 100mm. I think it is a little more quick and XC like steering wise, but not a problem at all.
    I prefer the 120 as the bike reponds better, and off course thats the way the wanted it, so..

But if you have a 100mm, then use it until a 120mm shows up.

Maybe you should be a little aware of pedal strikes, but nothing to worrie about. It is a really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First 50m brakeless ride with my honzo - sweet. I cant wait to ride some gnarly trails :>

Still wondering:
    I mounted the Continental Rubberqueen 2,2" on Flows and i only got 1,5cm on the left and 4-5mm on the right side clearence between the tire and chainstays - i thought it is possible to run a 2,4" Ardent? Or ist the 2,4" Ardent similiar to the 2,2" RQ?

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchupsenf View Post
    I think your BB gets too low, which cranks do you want to run?

Somewhere in this thread eurospek talks about tire clearance... do a search on google, there's some info.

And if you've got uneven tire clearance... you should check your wheel disk and dropout settings!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's the question: is a uneven tire clearance normal? The yoke does look asymmatrical..

Edit: Ha, found the problem. The clearance is now on both sides pretty similiar (+-1mm).
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchupsenf View Post
    That's the question: is a uneven tire clearance normal? The yoke does look asymmatrical..

Edit: Ha, found the problem. The clearance is now on both sides pretty similiar (+-1mm).
    What was your problem?

I was going to post when I first built my Honzo, the rear wheel (new Sun Ringle Charger Expert) mounted with a 2.25 Ardent didn't really have equal amount of clearance on both sides. One side was close to rubbing, the other had ample room. The sliders were both all the way in, and all it took was loosening one of them just slightly to center everything. And I mean I would say less than a 1mm was all it took.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When i first checked the clearance i had no chain and the sliders were as far in the front as possible - there was a difference between left/right side of 1cm. Now i meassured the clearance with a mounted chain, so the sliders were somewhere in the middle and the difference was now only 3-4mm. But when i measured the clearence between chainstay and rim it was nearly similiar, that's where i saw that my tire has a small buckle
    The difference of the 1cm is probably because the dropouts aren't exactly at the same "spot/lenght".

Sorry for my bad english, i don't know how to describe it any better!

Bnerd

Additions to the Honzo

I finally got the MRP 28T Bling Ring I ordered.
    I just installed it with the Truvativ AKA 170mm cranks and GXP BB.
    Unfortunately, the MRP Micro G2 SL is on back order. So I fashioned up a homemade chainguide until the MRP unit comes in.
    A pop bottle and zap straps did the job!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227909.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227911.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p9227914.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    good idea...how's it sound? Like a Chris King hub? hahah...JK. Have you gone a ride with it yet? Does it do the job?

Dianetics Junior
    Sweet! can't wait to hear feedback as I am planning on going the same route - not sure if I should go 28 or 30 though....

Where did you get the blingring if you don't mind me asking? Everywhere I look they seem to be on backorder....that bottle trick might be all you need!! good thinking

mtbr member
    Swapped out my 2012 16" frame for this 18" 2013 frame. Fit feels better and colour is growing on me.

Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway!
    F**k this picture makes viewing this thread a pain in the ass on my desktop compy.
    On my phone I don't even bother looking at this thread any more because viewing it is unwieldy.

[sarcastic tone] Thanks buddy. [sarcastic tone]

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    good idea...how's it sound? Like a Chris King hub? hahah...JK. Have you gone a ride with it yet? Does it do the job?
    I only took a quick 20 minute spin on some mellow trails near home to make sure the chain didn't skip off. It seems to work!
    I did have to sort out the alignment a bit because when I back pedalled the chain came off. I'm pretty sure I have it sorted.
    The real test is tomorrow when I'll be coaching for the full day. Hopefully it works out !

As for the noise, it is actually quieter than the stock chain guide!

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    Sweet! can't wait to hear feedback as I am planning on going the same route - not sure if I should go 28 or 30 though....

Where did you get the blingring if you don't mind me asking? Everywhere I look they seem to be on backorder....that bottle trick might be all you need!! good thinking
    From the super quick ride I had on some mellow trails near my place the easier gearing is going to be sweet for the bigger steeper climbs. My legs won't feel like exploding within the first 20 minutes of one those climbs. Hopefully!
    Also my style of climbing is to stay seated for as long as possible. With the easier gearing I should be able to do that without having my knees hurting the next day after a big ride.

I'm in Whistler, BC, Canada. And, I bought/ordered the Bling Ring from my local shop, Fineline. It's a small shop at the South end of the valley.
    When they ordered it they called to find out the availability. At that time there was only one of the Bling Rings and one of the Micro guides left/available at the distributor.
    Because Fineline is such a small shop they wait until they have enough stuff to order before having things shipped. They had put both the items on hold for me but when Fineline went to order only the Bling Ring was left.
    So, now I'm left waiting for the guide.

I think my DIY chain guide will work well but my concern is the chain hopping off the top of the ring while charging through big chop.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    Swapped out my 2012 16" frame for this 18" 2013 frame. Fit feels better and colour is growing on me.
    I like the retro Kona scheme!
    Although, I'm not sure how I'd get all matchy-matchy with my components! Gold bits maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

To be changed: cog, bashring, bar/grips.
    To do: shorten the brake hose, removing the decals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post

Nice. If you don't mind my asking, what size bike do you normally ride? How tall are you? I'm trying to decide between 16 and 18" myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I like the retro Kona scheme!
    Although, I'm not sure how I'd get all matchy-matchy with my components! Gold bits maybe?
    It has definitely grew on me. Gold and orange accents would kill it.

I would do a white Fox 34 Float, gold Chromag OSX bars, and gold/orange odds and ends like chainring bolts, grips, etc. It has definitely a more blingable color scheme than the 2012 blue frameset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cackalackey did you order your frame online or have a hook up. I'm waiting for mine and am wondering if they are starting to produce them.

I really like the white fork on it! Guess that makes it easier to buy a Fox Float 140 rather than trying to find a float in black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2013 framesets are already available? How much are they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Nice. If you don't mind my asking, what size bike do you normally ride? How tall are you? I'm trying to decide between 16 and 18" myself.
    I'm 5'6" or so. I have an 18" Unit as well. The 16" didn't feel right to me. The ETT was shorter so I had to run a longer stem.

The only issue I have with the 18" is with the Reverb. Specifically, my legs are too short and the 18" seattube is too long to allow full extension even with the seatpost slammed to the collar. It's a compromise I can live with.
    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Cackalackey did you order your frame online or have a hook up. I'm waiting for mine and am wondering if they are starting to produce them.

I really like the white fork on it! Guess that makes it easier to buy a Fox Float 140 rather than trying to find a float in black.
    Cackalackey just quoted my pic. My LBS was nice enough to let me pull the frame from a stock build and order me some 135 dropouts. I'm told frames won't go out until October sometime.

Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast