Crank: SLX 36Z
    Pedals: Nukeproof Electron
    Brakes: XT 203/180
    Cog: HomeBrewdComponents 20z
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Seatpost: Thomson 31.6x410
    Bars: Race Face Atlas FR or Truvativ Boo Bar
    Grips: ESI ?or 0815 Lock Ons

I am still looking for some nice tires (rubberqueen 2,2" f&r?) - any suggestions?

@Eurospec
    Pls let me know your pressures, i got the same fork and weight

€dit:
    And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-08-2012 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchupsenf View Post

€dit:
    And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/
    The top-tube length center to center is 24.5 inches--just over 62 cm.

My 20L came with a 22 sticker, right over the 20" sticker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by southj View Post
    My ride
    20 Long? Pic looks deceiving.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The top-tube length center to center is 24.5 inches--just over 62 cm.
    Thanks a lot - same length here!

mtbr member
    Score!!!!

UPS just dropped off the package and to my surprise, the fork is not a Revelation RL (basic damper, comes stock on most 2012 builds like the Kona Honzo, Satori, or SC Tallboy), but in fact it's the higher-end RCT3 damper. Quite a nice surprise to say the least, as the reviews for it have been stellar. And black too. Aftermarket RCT3 Revelation only came in Dual Position 140/110 if you wanted black, white for non-travel 140mm.

I'll mount this fork and post a comparison review as soon as I decide on new bar color.
    Dibs on your Fox 34mm please. I predict you'll appreciate the torsional stiffness provided by the 20mm axle. If you don't, I'll take the Rockshox fork off your hands. I really want to bet more travel. Looking forward to your comparison. BTW, I have the Atlas freeride bars and I'm really liking them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Euro

Did you ever look at the Revelation XX? I have a chance to get one of those for a good deal new. Would that be comparible to your new one?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RideEverything;9665255]2.5 pages without a single pic! And, the few pages before that in this thread are only lightly sprinkled with pics!

How about some riding pics? It's hard to stop and take photos during the good stuff, but it is a Honzo in action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0814.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0813.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0804.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Dibs on your Fox 34mm please. I predict you'll appreciate the torsional stiffness provided by the 20mm axle. If you don't, I'll take the Rockshox fork off your hands. I really want to bet more travel. Looking forward to your comparison. BTW, I have the Atlas freeride bars and I'm really liking them.
    Definitely. Hold off on buying a fork. I'm sure we can work something out with whatever I won't keep. I'll PM you first before posting them FS online here, PB, and eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    Hey Euro

Did you ever look at the Revelation XX? I have a chance to get one of those for a good deal new. Would that be comparible to your new one?
    Check out page 7 of this link.

It breaks down the Rockshox dampers: XX > RCT3 > RLT > RL.

I would say both are SRAM's higher end stuff, except the XX comes with a Reverb style handlebar remote for fork lockout. Something I never use, plus when I was looking around, the XX is slightly below Fox 34 pricing, something I wouldn't want to pay again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    .. but it is a Honzo in action.

mtbr member
    Alright, I am starting to look at pieces for the build of the Honzo.

Build plan, as it looks now:

Fox Rev (stock fork). I will leave it at 120 initially, may move it up to 140. I dont really think I need 140mm, as I already have a 26" long travel HT (chromag stylus) and a 6" FS bike.
    Stem - not sure yet
    Bars - Chromag or Atlas, possibly Spank Spike. Kore Torsion looks decent as well
    Brakes - Elixer? or SLX
    Wheels - King hubs (have), laced to Flow EX or i23's.
    Probably a Thomson post, Chromag Q/R and saddle

The big question for me right now, is crankset.

I already have a set of E13 XCX SS cranks in the parts box, along with several SS rings, but in 32 and 34t, for the 26ers.

Should I stick with a 32t up front, gamble on HBC and a 31t, or pick up Sram stuff to run a 28t?

And which Sram setup if I go that way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just got everything for the SRAM set up. Here is what I'm going with... Everyone seems to love it

AKA cranks..$100 at Jensen right now with BB
    MRP bling Ring 28T
    MRP Micro Guide G2

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    20 Long? Pic looks deceiving.
    Yeah prob not the best angle, only photo I have.

It's a 20R frame. I'm 6'3" and really like the fit. I run a 45mm stem and 785mm bars.

Full Spec:

Rockshox Revelation 140mm (although I can only get 135mm travel)
    Stans Flow rims on Hope Evo 36h, DT Swiss DB spokes
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front/2.25 rear (tubeless)
    XT 10speed cassette
    XT rear dérailleur
    XTR shifter
    KMC chain
    SRAM X9 cranks, GXP BB
    28t MRP Bling Ring
    E13 LS1+ chainguide (modified for 28t chainring)
    Shimano M530 trail pedal
    Thompson 30.9 seatpost (USE 30.9-31.6 shim)
    Hope QR clamp
    WTB Valcon saddle
    FSA headset (sealed bearing model not the crap one that comes stock on the Honzo and lasts 3 weeks!)
    Funn Rippa stem 45mm
    ODI Troy Lee Designs grips
    Funn fatboy bar 785mm X 15mm rise
    Avid Code R Brakes 203mm front 185mm rear

Only change I would want to make is getting one of those flash as dropper posts. Other wise my girl is perfect! Oh and those new MRP guides with the slide on the lower guide instead of a jockey wheel look the business. (jockey wheels get clogged in our muddy winter)

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    The big question for me right now, is crankset.

And which Sram setup if I go that way?
    I went Sram and got a 28T HBC chainring paired with a 17T cog (roughly between 32/20 and 32/19). I would have gone MRP if they were available at the time, as the HBC ring took 3+ months, and he needs to lose some business to learn to run it properly. Being the only option for a product may have made it justifiable in the past, but no more.

I went XO this time, but mainly on impulse as there was a deal from the distributor (though they were still stupid pricey). If I had to do it again, I'd have gone with X9. The XOs aren't as light as they should be, based on the weight of other carbon cranks (RaceFace etc), although they do look quite a bit fancier than the blah X9s. I was also looking at the E13s, to be different.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with SLX it seems, but a spidered SS setup still looks like a compromise - spiderless it just awesome. And lighter!

EDIT: Also, I really like my Easton Haven stem. Similar weight to a Thomson, but a bit more bling.

mtbr member
    Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness? I am a big guy (260) working down, but dont want to compromise there. I can deal with extra weight on the crankset if needed.

I currently have a set of SLX (double) running a single ring on the Chromag, and frankly, no real issues on the Sram setup on the Spec either.

I would probably go AKA vs the X9, as they dont look very different, and at 9g difference, its not worth any extra to go X9...

I am just a little hesitant to give up on the XCX setup to go to Sram... But I know I have moved from 36 to 32T on the 26er, so a smaller ring on the 29er makes sense as well. But the quality is evident on the E13 setup.

As to HBC... The issues are enough to keep me willing to push a 32 instead of trying for their 31, at least in the near term.

Ahh, first world problems.

the air is thin up here..
    Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness?
    Haven't noticed flex with my cranks, I'm 220. I've never been one to notice that sort of thing though, so either I've always had stiff cranks or just don't notice.

Pretty sure all XO crank arms are the same, meaning the DH ones are the same as the XC ones, which I'd hope would mean they're stiff. Might be why they weight more than most carbon cranks too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am 110kg and I was running SLX cranks(double set up as single ring) for a year and loved them! They were one thing on my bike I never thought about (best complement you can pay a piece of kit)

About 6 weeks ago I changed to X9 cranks/28t Bling. I was apprehensive about the move as I liked everything about the shimano cranks but so far so good. I was tentative in the rough stuff at first although now like the SLX cranks I don't think about them anymore. Time will tell how they hold up but so far no complaints. I have had a similar expreience to Noot And have not felt any noticable flex in my cranks. If SLX could be run spiderless they would be top of my list however SRAM seem to have done a good job on the X9 so they are worth a spin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Brakes - Elixer? or SLX
    I would go for the SLX Brakes -nearly the same as the XT. I just canceled my order for the XT and got the SLX with the new braking pads with cooling fins - for the same price (the xt had no cooling fins) and a sooner delivery.

I've never heard sth good about the Elixier...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway! I am between Chris King mango hubs and Black for the new 2013 Honzo. What do you think? Are those Mango hubs to much? Ive got an Easton havoc 35 orange stem but that would be the only other orange bit on the bike. Everything else is black including rims and spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I thought you were talking about the 2012 Honzo, on which Mango would be rad...just like the Broncos! My son has that color scheme goin.

mtbr member
    For the 2013 Honzo, I would definitely go CK Mango, it's a nice match, the only thing I would worry about is planning ahead with another bike, it would be hard to match. With black hubs, you can match them to any new frame if you wish so easily.

And I'll be the first to admit, the 2013 has definitely grown on me aesthetically. At first I definitely didn't dig the retro orange decals and goldish tint of the clearcoat, but it's still not enough to warrant an upgrade for me any time soon.

BTW sheranian, that picture is huge.

And looks like the official photo off Kona's website, the Revelation fork looks to be more than 120mm in travel. There's definitely more stanchion showing than their 2012 official photo, and I confirmed it in Photoshop lol.

But looks like the bikes are shipping with 120mm travel

Last edited by eurospek; 09-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1 View Post
    ^^
    I would agree eurospek. I'm 5'6" if I stand up really straight so ETT on the Honzo would indicate a 16" frame for me.

I purchased the 16" to build up a couple months back and it's too cramped unless I run a 70-80mm stem which impacts handling. It's never felt quite right.

I had a chance to ride a stock 18" last week the cockpit felt great and the handling was spot on for me. Needless to say I'm on the lockout for an 18" Honzo frame to replace the 16".
    Kona Honzo 29er frame 18"

Worth a shot as the 18" is sold out at Bikeman.com.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes it is a big picture... Ha!! I'm going to go with the Mango hubs!

Hey Euro... What rear derailuer, shifter, cassette are you running? I'm thinking about Saint instead of SRAM XO even though I already bought rear cassette. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Running 1x9 with Shimano Saint 810 SS derailleur (works awesome with the Shimano HG61 12-36 cassette), Shimano SLX 665 cranks, e.13 32T chainring, MRP Lopes SL guide, and a Shimano SLX shifter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Changed anyone of you who rides a Revelation ( RCT3, DPA) your DPA Unit to a Coil Unit? I do know that it is possible for the 26" to take e.g. the coil unit of a 150mm sektor, but i don't know if i can adjust the sektor coil unit to the needed 140mm and if there are any major differences between the 140 29"/ 150 26" castings..?
    If you are interested i could keep u updated - i will ride my DPA and then hopefully change it to a coil version in late autumn.

Edit: Change of plans, i will buy a new one and take the 140 u-turn sektor kit - this should work fine
    Last edited by Ketchupsenf; 09-12-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Dianetics Junior
    Hey all,

Thinking about ditching the stock crankset and going spiderless with a blingring 30t....will these cranks work for this application on the Honzo 2012? I tried to research specs but would like to be sure before I order...any other parts I would need? Bottom bracket compatible? I realize I may have to modify/swap out the e*thirteen LS1 chainguide due to the offset chainring...appreciate your help...

Truvativ Aka GXP 3.3 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cbiz....

Edit: probably need the 1.1? not sure since only the cranks (no rings) will be used??
    Last edited by CBizzie; 09-13-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast