Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 1801
  1. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Well,at least the stickers are better
    You're kidding right?

    Overall, it's like 2 step backwards in the design/color/decal department. It just doesn't mesh well with me.

    While on the other hand I love my 2012 even more, and this is one frameset that I don't want to upgrade with the new one coming one.

    As for the 142x12 dropouts, I read that will be 100% compatible with our 2012 Honzos. Too bad I don't have the proper wheelset.

    Yet.

  2. #277
    mtbr member
    Reputation: el_chupo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,218
    It is a nice move forward in everything but looks.

    Price goes up by $100, but you get some nice upgrades at the price.

    The standard 142x12's, a much nicer rim than the old bike, better drive train and brakes, slightly more clearance for the twins.

    Fork is a "downgrade", but I have not ran into any issues with the solo air.


    I cannot find a frame only 2012 in my size, and was thinking about an intermediary until a production Chromag frame is released. At this point, the color alone on this Kona is pushing me toward a Diamondback Mason, which leaves me with a better build and starting point looking to the future.

  3. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    It is a nice move forward in everything but looks.
    I cannot find a frame only 2012 in my size, and was thinking about an intermediary until a production Chromag frame is released. At this point, the color alone on this Kona is pushing me toward a Diamondback Mason, which leaves me with a better build and starting point looking to the future.
    Did you try bikeman.com? That's where I got mine. Only the 18" is not available right now, but then that's exactly what you might need.

  4. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    The specs for the 2013 show 142x12 dropouts for a RockShox MAXLE. Anyone know if this is compatible with a Syntace 142x12 hub and axle system?

  5. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: el_chupo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,218
    Bikeman is where I have been watching for the past few weeks, and I need the 18" size.

    There is one on ebay, complete, but I would be using so little of their build that it isnt worth the time and effort to do anything with.

  6. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    It is a nice move forward in everything but looks.

    Price goes up by $100, but you get some nice upgrades at the price.

    The standard 142x12's, a much nicer rim than the old bike, better drive train and brakes, slightly more clearance for the twins.

    Fork is a "downgrade", but I have not ran into any issues with the solo air.


    I cannot find a frame only 2012 in my size, and was thinking about an intermediary until a production Chromag frame is released. At this point, the color alone on this Kona is pushing me toward a Diamondback Mason, which leaves me with a better build and starting point looking to the future.
    Finally looked at the high res pic online vs on the phone and I thought it was a matte gold with orange graphics, it looks more like raw finish with a gold tint clear. Still meh on it, maybe if the finish was like the old 2012 Steely (dark raw finish)that would be much better.

    For the 18" try these guys too Home - The Path Bike Shop

  7. #282
    Dianetics Junior
    Reputation: CBizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    167
    I am with eurospek....definitely like the blue of the 2012 better. Interesting they took the Honzo out of the "gravity" categorization...makes a bit more sense to me.

    Also - saw in another thread they now have the Taro (aluminum Honzo) for quite a bit less I see....

    I just got an email response from Kona re: the 142x12 dropouts. Essentially was told "we are working on them" and to stay in touch with my LBS...

  8. #283
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Did they say where we would be able to get them from/through? as well as what the cost would be, and whether or not the thru axle would come with the dropouts.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  9. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    Did they say where we would be able to get them from/through? as well as what the cost would be, and whether or not the thru axle would come with the dropouts.
    Pretty sure from here when they will be available soon.

    http://shop.konaworld.com/products.php?product=Derailleur-Hanger{47}dropouts

    As for the current Honzo, we need the CC type hangers. Ask me how I know.

  10. #285
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    You're kidding right?

    Overall, it's like 2 step backwards in the design/color/decal department. It just doesn't mesh well with me.

    While on the other hand I love my 2012 even more, and this is one frameset that I don't want to upgrade with the new one coming one.

    As for the 142x12 dropouts, I read that will be 100% compatible with our 2012 Honzos. Too bad I don't have the proper wheelset.

    Yet.


    I don't really care for the finish,but I'm surely a fan of the mid-90's style decals,looks like Kona gave different design graphics for each marketing niche this year,maybe they thought steel hardtail would appeal to old grumps like me

    I will say I've been surfing through Retrobike quite a bit lately,biasing my tastes

  11. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Pretty sure from here when they will be available soon.

    http://shop.konaworld.com/products.php?product=Derailleur-Hanger{47}dropouts

    As for the current Honzo, we need the CC type hangers. Ask me how I know.
    And how do you know that we'll need the CC type?
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  12. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    And how do you know that we'll need the CC type?
    I can't figure out what CC means, seriously.

  13. #288
    Dianetics Junior
    Reputation: CBizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I can't figure out what CC means, seriously.
    +1 ....... help us out 'spek

  14. #289
    the air is thin up here..
    Reputation: noot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    +1 ....... help us out 'spek
    It's a dropout code.

    https://shop.konaworld.com/eu/produc...2C-Singlespeed

    https://shop.konaworld.com/eu/produc...t-side-dropout

  15. #290
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Like noot linked, CC is the derailleur type for the 2012 Honzo, like I stated, "As for the current Honzo, we need the CC type hangers. Ask me how I know." I had to replace my drive side hanger a while ago.

  16. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Anyone know if the dropouts will be available in Canada?
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  17. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    Did they say where we would be able to get them from/through? as well as what the cost would be, and whether or not the thru axle would come with the dropouts.
    An email response from Kona Tech indicated that they dropouts would not be available online and suggested that I contact a local dealer. I also talked to someone on the phone at the Kona Store and he confirmed that they would not show up on the USA store for awhile, however I could place an order over the phone with them.

    No hint at price was given. The droupouts shown on the international store are sold individually, not in pairs (drive and non-drive sides). So I assume an MAXLE will not be included, espicially since it costs around $50 by itself.

  18. #293
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    An email response from Kona Tech indicated that they dropouts would not be available online and suggested that I contact a local dealer. I also talked to someone on the phone at the Kona Store and he confirmed that they would not show up on the USA store for awhile, however I could place an order over the phone with them.

    No hint at price was given. The droupouts shown on the international store are sold individually, not in pairs (drive and non-drive sides). So I assume an MAXLE will not be included, espicially since it costs around $50 by itself.
    My guess is $30 per side + the cost of the Maxle. About 1/5 of the Honzo's original frame price.

  19. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    My guess is $30 per side + the cost of the Maxle. About 1/5 of the Honzo's original frame price.
    That's a lot, considering that I'd also need to get a different axle and endcaps for my rear wheel which would be about $60 from CRC. I'd rather spend a couple hundred somewhere else that would be a better upgrade, like going 10 speed with the new ZEE stuff from shimano.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  20. #295
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    That's a lot, considering that I'd also need to get a different axle and endcaps for my rear wheel which would be about $60 from CRC. I'd rather spend a couple hundred somewhere else that would be a better upgrade, like going 10 speed with the new ZEE stuff from shimano.
    I'm not going to be upgrading unless I'll have the need of a new wheelset, but so far the Sun-Ringle Charger Experts have exceeded my expectations and then some.

  21. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Singlespeed McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'm not going to be upgrading unless I'll have the need of a new wheelset, but so far the Sun-Ringle Charger Experts have exceeded my expectations and then some.
    The wheels I built for mine are totally awesome so far, so the only real reason I would have for getting the dropouts would be so I can angle/point the lever backwards. Currently with the fixing bolts for the dropouts where they are, I can't seem to be able to close the QR securely enough with it pointing any direction other than forward.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

  22. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Any of you guys running the new Shimano XT M785 brakes? I'm looking to upgrade, just don't know what rotor size, stick with 203/180, 180/180 or 180/160? Supposedly these are some powerful brakes.

  23. #298
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    80
    Hey all, great bikes! Just a couple questions though. Did you all start with the frame and build up from there or did any of you buy the fully built bike and tweak it as you saw fit. Is there a reason not to go with the built bike from Kona (i.e. cheap component spec, etc.)

    Second question, what led you to pick the Honzo over the other bikes in the genre. I'm currently considering an AM29 for my next bike and have narrowed it down to the Honzo, Paradox, or new Mason. The Stache from Trek may make the short list if the reviews are positive, however I doubt they'll have a build as nice as the Mason (Fox 34 Talus, KS dropper, X9) for a similar price if not more.

    Thanks again.

  24. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber View Post
    Hey all, great bikes! Just a couple questions though. Did you all start with the frame and build up from there or did any of you buy the fully built bike and tweak it as you saw fit. Is there a reason not to go with the built bike from Kona (i.e. cheap component spec, etc.)

    Second question, what led you to pick the Honzo over the other bikes in the genre. I'm currently considering an AM29 for my next bike and have narrowed it down to the Honzo, Paradox, or new Mason. The Stache from Trek may make the short list if the reviews are positive, however I doubt they'll have a build as nice as the Mason (Fox 34 Talus, KS dropper, X9) for a similar price if not more.

    Thanks again.
    The Mason complete has an awesome spec for $2100 (current price on Jensonusa.com). I don't think any complete bike (Honzo, TransAM 29, Paradox) can touch it.

  25. #300
    the air is thin up here..
    Reputation: noot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber View Post
    Hey all, great bikes! Just a couple questions though. Did you all start with the frame and build up from there or did any of you buy the fully built bike and tweak it as you saw fit. Is there a reason not to go with the built bike from Kona (i.e. cheap component spec, etc.)

    Second question, what led you to pick the Honzo over the other bikes in the genre. I'm currently considering an AM29 for my next bike and have narrowed it down to the Honzo, Paradox, or new Mason. The Stache from Trek may make the short list if the reviews are positive, however I doubt they'll have a build as nice as the Mason (Fox 34 Talus, KS dropper, X9) for a similar price if not more.

    Thanks again.
    Frame up for me.

    That Mason is a sick build for the price. Pretty slack head angle though...

    For that price, it might be worth buying and riding it. Once you've got some time on it, you could pick up another frame if you wanted (ie - Honzo) and probably still come out way ahead price-wise.

Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post your Practical Builds
    By hans-solo in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
  2. Custom Builds Thread
    By jncarpenter in forum Turner
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
  3. post your 7" travel under 40 lbs builds
    By dusthuffer in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
  4. Post your ETSX builds
    By Shark in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
  5. XCL Build thread X Post
    By DirtDad in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •