Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 4492
  1. #1001
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754

    A new addition.

    I picked up a KS Lev 150 to swap with my Reverb. The Reverb is going to my wife's HT.
    I've only had one ride so far with the Lev. And it works as advertised.
    The extra inch of drop is very noticeable in having the seat further out of the way. I kinda had buyer's regret because I started thinking that 1 inch wasn't worth the price. But that thought went away the moment I dropped the post down for the first time while out on my ride.
    It definitely is worth it!

    I guess riding the Reverb and only having 125mm of drop had me used to riding with seat just a little too high when dropped to really feel comfortable to fully send drops and jumps.
    Now with the seat an inch lower I feel that it is solidly out of the way not to be worried about knocking it or getting caught on it when sending it.
    It's only a small difference in height, measurement/number wise, but it is a surprising change when actually riding the bike.

    I also finally got my ChargerPro rear wheel up and running. SunRinglé sent me parts for warranty of the freehub but more issues arose and they eventually sent me an entire new hub.
    I unlaced the old hub and relaced the new hub using the original spokes and rim.
    I didn't do too bad of a job if I do say so myself! Considering I don't have use of a truing stand. I used my frame, fingers and eyeballs to true the wheel.

    And, I tried to set up my tires tubeless. It didn't work.
    I've just recently set my park bike up tubeless on Spank Spike Race28 wheels. It was my first time going tubeless and it was a breeze to set those wheels/tires up. I had no trouble using just a floor pump to get the beads to seat and hold air.
    I thought with that experience under my belt that setting up rims that are made specifically by NoTubes and tubeless specific tires it would be a breeze.
    Uh, nope.
    After a while of struggling to get the tires to try and kinda sorta hold air to seat the beads and no luck I went back to tubes.
    I don't have ready access to a air compressor and I'm not about to go to the only gas station in town and pay to use their air compressor.
    I find it ironic that the rims and tires I set up tubeless aren't tubeless specific and they set up super easy. Whereas the tubeless ready rims and tires didn't set up at all!
    Oh well.

    I'm now running the Hans Dampf on the back as well. I changed out the Ardent 2.4 for the HD. The HD is definitely a squeeze but there is room. I have to make sure my wheel stays true so not to get any rub on the frame. Again I've impressed myself with my wheel build to end up with a true wheel and no rub from a large tire!


    Here's a couple of pics with the seat at pedal height and at fun height.




  2. #1002
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    @hjulier,
    Is your seat at full pedal height?
    The reason I'm asking is I'm 6'6" as well and I run my Reverb with substantially more post showing.
    Unless you have really short legs and a crazy long torso then carry on as you were.

    Or maybe does your 22L frame really have a 22" seat tube?
    I was led to believe that the 20R and 20L frame sizes had the same ST length, 20". It was just the TT measurement that was different between the two sizes. And, that the 20L came with a 22 size sticker on the frame.

    Just curious.
    Oops, meant to write 20 long.

    I'm 6'5" with a 35 ish inseam... nothing too goofy about my proportions. The reverb is indeed at full height. You're probably just a little taller and like your seat a little higher! I could run mine higher, but find it put too much strain on my neck and hands. I always go for my handlebars just above my saddle height.

    Eventually I will post some more pictures that show the bike on level ground.

  3. #1003
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    I received my Zee rear der. and shifter yesterday. Was going to mount it this weekend with the XX1 chainring up front. Atm I'm running SS with a 32t Wolftooth direct mount on my XX1 cranks. I thought the Wolftooth would not be fit to run 1x10 without chainguide, but apparently it does? Or is there a difference between your chainring and my direct mount (Direct Mount for SRAM GXP Cranks | wolftoothcomponents.com)?
    Cause I'd prefer to keep using the Wolftooth one instead of the XX1, it looks a lot nicer.
    Nice bike btw!
    Thanks!

    No difference save for how the ring mounts. Your Wolf Tooth is indeed fit to be run without a chainquide. Inspecting the link you posted reveals that it's got wide/narrow teeth... they all do I think!

    ***

    Anyone have any ride time on Hans Dampfs? Thinking of leveling up to them for a trip to Colorado. Seems like a better mud tire too than my current bronson/weirwolf setup.

  4. #1004
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Thanks, yeah I figured out the same. Installed my derailleur yesterday, today probably the shifter and then it's riding time

  5. #1005
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    612
    My Honzo is still the stock 2013 build except I added my old Gravity Dropper seatpost. I'm not happy with the stock chainguide, it always rubs more than I would like at both extremes. I have been running 1x9/1x10 on my full suspension bikes for years but this my first hardtail with that setup. I don't have the clutch rear derailleur, so what is the minimum chain guide setup I can get away with? Is something like the Blackspire Stinger enough by itself, or maybe in combo with the Wolf Tooth chainring? Anyone try the Wolf Tooth ring by itself with a non-clutched rear derailleur?

  6. #1006
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Can anybody tell me how these bikes perform for XC applications? I know that they're great for DH and for "shreddin'", but I don't hear too much about banging out an 18 miler.

    I'm more interested in the taro, but it's virtually the same frame in aluminum...

  7. #1007
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Can anybody tell me how these bikes perform for XC applications? I know that they're great for DH and for "shreddin'", but I don't hear too much about banging out an 18 miler.

    I'm more interested in the taro, but it's virtually the same frame in aluminum...
    I'll let you know after I ride Durango, Fruita and Aspen on mine in late September. Lots of singletrack climbing and descending.

    I don't see why the Honzo couldn't be used for general XC riding. Sure it's a little slacker than an XC race bike, but if you're not racing....

    With a 120mm fork up front you can gain back some steering quickness (as opposed to those us gentlemen that prefer 140) and you could even move the rear wheel back in the dropouts for more stability though i'm not sure why you'd want to.

  8. #1008
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    It's fine for XC. You may not be as competitive as others on their plastic bikes. As far as the Taro goes... I've never ridden one. I owned a banshee paradox before the honzo. Aluminum may be lighter, but its a rougher ride than steel so put that into consideration. Loooonnggg rides on a stiff aluminum frame could be a bit much for the taint.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  9. #1009
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    It's fine for XC. You may not be as competitive as others on their plastic bikes. As far as the Taro goes... I've never ridden one. I owned a banshee paradox before the honzo. Aluminum may be lighter, but its a rougher ride than steel so put that into consideration. Loooonnggg rides on a stiff aluminum frame could be a bit much for the taint.
    Is the honzo noticeably compliant? I mean the paradox has box stays and is certainly built with stiffness in mind, but the honzo doesn't exactly look like it has pencil stays designed for shock absorption.

  10. #1010
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    True. The Paradox has stiff stays. The honzo's stays are large, but still flex more than aluminum. They don't flex as much as my girlfriend's Niner SIR 9 stays, but you can still notice it.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  11. #1011
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    @RideEverything
    Nice! I like those white rims.
    I'll be saving up for a KS Lev too, good to read that it works so well.
    May I ask what the difference is between the Ardent 2.4 and the HD? Just trying to learn, not criticizing.

  12. #1012
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348

    Update to my Honzo

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag0032.jpg

    Update on my bike: I went from an SS setup to a 1x10 Zee setup with an XT 11-36 casette. I kept the Wolftooth up front. I was a bit dissapointed to learn that the shifter isn't I-Spec compatible, while the brakes are. A bit silly I think from Shimano to not make brakes and shifters from the same product line I-Spec compatible. Shifting is great though so far.

    My Renthal Kevlar grips slipped from time to time, so I tightened them but I overdid it...needed to get them off for attaching my shifter, the bolts were so tight that my allen key damaged them so I couldn't losen them anymore..had to drill them out. Luckily I had a set of ESI Chunky grips laying around. I did prefer the feel of the Renthals though, especially on bare hands (when riding street towards/from the trails).

    Now I'm saving up for a KS Lev dropper...

  13. #1013
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    @RideEverything
    Nice! I like those white rims.
    I'll be saving up for a KS Lev too, good to read that it works so well.
    May I ask what the difference is between the Ardent 2.4 and the HD? Just trying to learn, not criticizing.
    Yeah, the white rims were a bit of a vanity purchase for my matchy-matchy colour scheme.
    Regardless, I very much like how they look on the bike with all my other bits and frame colour. They've withstood my hard riding. The back rim has a few dings/dents in it but nothing too serious. Considering that they're a 28H rim and being ridden by a heavy aggressive riding giant they've performed admirably. It's just the freehubs that have been lacking. But that has been the case for pretty much every freehub I've ever ridden. I replace freehubs twice, if not three times in a season.
    My wheel build/spoke tensioning turns out to not have been so spectacular. The wheel developed a solid wobble after a slightly angled landing. Because I'm running the HD there was a ton of tire rub against the frame. I love the Hans Dampf tire but on the Honzo your wheel has to be perfectly straight and tensioned to run that tire without any rub.

    The biggest difference between the HD 2.4 and the Ardent 2.4 is the side knobs, other than the GRIP! The HD side knobs stick out considerably further than on the Ardents. The tires are close to being evenly matched for sidewall width volume. It's just the HD's side knobs stick out that much further.
    Another big difference is that the cornering grip and braking grip is exponentially better on the HD's compared to the Ardents. Although, the Ardents do roll faster on the smoother harder packed trails and on pavement/road.

    I've never had an issue with the Ardents. I just like the HD's better. The Ardent is a great rear tire. I will never ever put an Ardent the front of my bike! In the region I live in there is a serious hate-on for the Ardents front and rear. I understand the hate for running it as a front but totally don't understand the vitriol for the Ardent as a rear. Most of the hate comes from the fact that most of our riding time is spent in mostly damp to wet riding conditions except for about two months during the height of summer (the Ardent performs quite poorly in the wet on roots, rock and off camber stuff - but as a rear I can deal with that). This summer has been exceptionally dry.

    The KS Lev has been working great.
    I've only had one moment of WTF. I had left my bike outside in the direct sun for a couple of hours in my yard and when I got on the bike to ride it the seat wouldn't lower. It took about 20 minutes for it to start working properly. And, there hasn't been any issue with it since.
    I think because of being in the sun for a long time and everything heating up the mechanism stopped working or the air pressure got too high for it to work. I'm just guessing but there you have it.


    @hjulier
    I have a season and a half on the Hans Dampf as a front tire.
    I think they are a great tire for all of the terrain in the regions that I ride in - Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton.
    If you need a visual of the type of terrain that I ride check out this video of the Enduro World Series stop in Whistler. All of the trails outside of the bike park on the Enduro course I ride regularly on my Honzo (the lower part of Stage 1, all of Stages 2,3,4). The HD handles my direction changes, cornering and stopping with ease.
    My Revelation fork, on the other hand, doesn't really do any of that with ease!
    The little time that I had with it on as a rear tire the HD was a welcome change to the Ardent. Fantastic grip! Just make sure your rear wheel is seriously true and tensioned properly as to not get any frame rub from the tire.

    Here's the link to the vid: DirtTV: Crankworx Enduro - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video




    TL;DR version:
    White rims - good
    Ardent 2.4 - okay to good rear tire
    Hans Dampf - good to great tire
    KS Lev 150mm - well worth the purchase price
    Honzo - if you have balls big enough you can ride a lot of gnarly terrain
    Last edited by RideEverything; 08-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.

  14. #1014
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Thanks for the long explanation!
    I'm running Continental MK 2.2 rear and 2.4 front, but I don't think I could tell the difference if I put on another tire, my riding level is still too noob for that.
    I did already put a wobble on my rear wheel, so I'm glad I have only a 2.2 tire on there, room enough for a slight wobble.

    How do you even destroy a freehub?

  15. #1015
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    How do you even destroy a freehub?
    The way I destroy freehubs is where the pawls insert into the body of the freehub. I distort or crack the body around the insertion point of the pawls so it doesn't spin or doesn't spin freely in the hub shell.
    It is a function of the amount of weight and power that I can put into a pedal stroke. Also the lesser engagement hubs blowup faster on me because of the dead space between dropping the power down on the pedal and the pawls engaging. I find that with the Honzo because it is a single ring up front that it accelerates the damage that I can apply to freehubs.

    Most, if not all, freehub bodies are made of aluminum. Which are relatively "soft".
    What I need is a high engagement steel freehub body. They are out there but most of those types live in the expensive end the bike part world.

  16. #1016
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    You mean something like this?
    DT Swiss Steel Shimano 9/10 Freehub Body > Components > Wheel Goods > Freehub Bodies | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    Isn't cheap, indeed. But wouldn't that still be cheaper as buying 3 alu bodies a season?

  17. #1017
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    The way I destroy freehubs is where the pawls insert into the body of the freehub. I distort or crack the body around the insertion point of the pawls so it doesn't spin or doesn't spin freely in the hub shell.
    It is a function of the amount of weight and power that I can put into a pedal stroke. Also the lesser engagement hubs blowup faster on me because of the dead space between dropping the power down on the pedal and the pawls engaging. I find that with the Honzo because it is a single ring up front that it accelerates the damage that I can apply to freehubs.

    Most, if not all, freehub bodies are made of aluminum. Which are relatively "soft".
    What I need is a high engagement steel freehub body. They are out there but most of those types live in the expensive end the bike part world.
    I have the same problem. Notubes makes a steel freehub that has been working for me so far, but their hubs only have 36 pts of engagement. They cost $70 at notubes.com

  18. #1018
    Avid Indoorsman
    Reputation: billyd203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    123
    Thinking about getting a Honzo. Miss having a 29er. Sold my Raleigh XXIX over the winter. The bike was a large and a bit to small, plus I need some squish in the front. Looking at an XL Honzo. I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam and a 36.5" sleeve. Currently on a Cannondale 140rz full suspension 26". This is a great page. I have enjoyed reading the posts.

  19. #1019
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    If you are looking for a complete build, and willing to buy the 2012 model and online, there is a 38% discount atm: Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run.
    Lots of tall people here btw with XL Honzo's (myself included, 6'5").

  20. #1020
    Avid Indoorsman
    Reputation: billyd203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    If you are looking for a complete build, and willing to buy the 2012 model and online, there is a 38% discount atm: Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run.
    Lots of tall people here btw with XL Honzo's (myself included, 6'5").
    That is a great deal. I need to check with my LBS. They maybe able to match that price.

    Thanks

  21. #1021
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I have the same problem. Notubes makes a steel freehub that has been working for me so far, but their hubs only have 36 pts of engagement. They cost $70 at notubes.com
    Would you happen to know if it is possible to use this freehub in a SunRingle hub shell? I don't see any dimensions on either sites to make a comparison.
    I find it funny that there is a weight limit to the Flow EX wheelset. 250lbs. I'm pretty sure I hit that weight with all my gear on and with a full pack with water. I was eyeing those wheels. Maybe I'll have to look elsewhere.

    @eurospek, was it in this thread that I read that you ended up getting a steel SunRingle freehub body? If I remember correctly wasn't it the Abbah freehub?
    If it was those freehubs they seem to have disappeared from the market as an individual item.

    For those of you linking to online shops, I live in Canada, so it is difficult to dodge duty and Custom charges if I order from the States.

  22. #1022
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    For those of you linking to online shops, I live in Canada, so it is difficult to dodge duty and Custom charges if I order from the States.
    That's too bad. I live in Europe and haven't had any issues with supplementary charges when ordering from the States.

  23. #1023
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I find it funny that there is a weight limit to the Flow EX wheelset. 250lbs. I'm pretty sure I hit that weight with all my gear on and with a full pack with water. I was eyeing those wheels. Maybe I'll have to look elsewhere.
    I run those, I thought those were the burliest 29ers rims available. Both front and rear already have a slight wobble, as a noob I haven't taken any drops bigger then 1.6feet (50cm). I weigh 200lbs without any gear. Very dissappointed especially since I had my wheels build by hand for $$$ (actually €€€ ).

    Edit: I'm mistaken, I have the regular Flow's
    Edit2: Ok I'm not sure anymore what rims I have I had the decals removed so can't see it easily. But still dissappointed!

  24. #1024
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post

    @eurospek, was it in this thread that I read that you ended up getting a steel SunRingle freehub body? If I remember correctly wasn't it the Abbah freehub?
    If it was those freehubs they seem to have disappeared from the market as an individual item.
    I did. The stock aluminum freehub and even only a 11-34 XT level cassette sounded painful on the climbs. Noise I never heard before on my previous Hope Pro 2 wheelset with same cassette. Plus I needed to move up to the lower spec 12-36 cassette. What I ended up getting was per Sun Ringle's recommendation to move to a steel freehub body. Sun Ringle part number DJ 0889, it's off the Disc Jockey hub, which is labeled XC/Trail and DH use. I just had the freehub apart a couple days ago for cleaning and everything looks great after 2 hard seasons of riding. Insides look exactly the same, same type of pawls used, except now sitting in steel body grooves instead of aluminum. Might be worth checking out if you're really tearing them up so easily.

    Sun Ringle Freehub Body - Disc Jockey 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    konahonzo

  25. #1025
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mathoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    76
    I have to share it right now! I rode my Honzo since the last winter... I sold my XC double and planed to buy a new 27.5 when opportunity comes but I just bought a new 26 double cause I got a awesome deal. I really love it after 2 rides but the last weekend, I came back with THE Machine and rode the same trails.... The difference about the feeling of handling, the speed, the climbs and the dhills, the smile ... and the pain ... Was incredible! I just love to share this with you! Long live to the Honzo

  26. #1026
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Just came home with the 2014 Honzo model this weekend. Changed out the pedals to Speedplay drilliums and hit the trails. The bike is awesome! Yeah it's probably heavy but I'm a big boy so the components are not too bad. I'm more at peace with the Shimano components for the '14 build and of course they are lower level components but they work well. I may upgrade a few things later in time but if anyone decides to pull the trigger on the 2014 model I think you will be very content.

  27. #1027
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I did. The stock aluminum freehub and even only a 11-34 XT level cassette sounded painful on the climbs. Noise I never heard before on my previous Hope Pro 2 wheelset with same cassette. Plus I needed to move up to the lower spec 12-36 cassette. What I ended up getting was per Sun Ringle's recommendation to move to a steel freehub body. Sun Ringle part number DJ 0889, it's off the Disc Jockey hub, which is labeled XC/Trail and DH use. I just had the freehub apart a couple days ago for cleaning and everything looks great after 2 hard seasons of riding. Insides look exactly the same, same type of pawls used, except now sitting in steel body grooves instead of aluminum. Might be worth checking out if you're really tearing them up so easily.

    Sun Ringle Freehub Body - Disc Jockey 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Looking at that freehub you linked to will it work in the hub that comes with the ChargerPro's? Those are the wheels you're running, right?

  28. #1028
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    That's too bad. I live in Europe and haven't had any issues with supplementary charges when ordering from the States.
    I don't always get dinged with the cost of duty. Just sometimes. In my last couple of orders It seems the courier companies are trying to make an extra buck by squeezing the customer at the delivery end.
    Most of the online ordering I do has in the fine print on the sites listing that your initial cost includes all of the duties and custom charges but every now and again I get hit with an extra charge by the courier company when it's dropped at my door.

    I've never order through CRC. I've heard good and bad on the extra charges. From what it sounds like it just depends on what kind of day the Customs agent is having when they process the package as to whether you get charged duty or not.

  29. #1029
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    I run those, I thought those were the burliest 29ers rims available. Both front and rear already have a slight wobble, as a noob I haven't taken any drops bigger then 1.6feet (50cm). I weigh 200lbs without any gear. Very dissappointed especially since I had my wheels build by hand for $$$ (actually €€€ ).

    Edit: I'm mistaken, I have the regular Flow's
    Edit2: Ok I'm not sure anymore what rims I have I had the decals removed so can't see it easily. But still dissappointed!
    Yeah, I was under the impression that they were one of the burliest rims/wheelsets for 29ers. I haven't heard or read anywhere else other than on the NoTubes site about the weight restriction. The only thing that I've come across is that the rims seem to dent easily. But the denting thing I've only read in 2 posts on other mtb sites.
    The Flow EX rims/wheelsets seem to be the shizzle for any burly 29" build.
    I've been looking at burly components because my winter monetary saving project for next summer is to purchase a Banshee Prime. I'm looking to do a full custom build but have a few parts that will be interchangeable between the Honzo and the new bike.

    As to your wobble it might mean that you just need a re-tension of the spokes. Regardless of whether the wheels are machine built or hand built after the initial first few rides on new wheels it is always a good idea to get them re-tensioned.
    That's something that in the past I've neglected to my own peril!

  30. #1030
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Looking at that freehub you linked to will it work in the hub that comes with the ChargerPro's? Those are the wheels you're running, right?
    Good question. I'm running Sun Ringle Charger Experts but I'm sure they are the same freehub across the Charger product line. I doubt they would make a different one for each of the 4 different Charger models (Pro SL, Pro, Expert, Comp). The only thing that was different from the aluminum freehub body was the spacing between the bearings inside the two freehub bodies, the steel freehub had them spaced further apart, and only requiring a small spacer on the axle, twice less the size that of the aluminum freehub.

    What's also interesting is that this freehub is the same thing as the Sun Ringle Demon freehub from their DH wheelsets, so you know it's burly. And it's what my LBS first received by mistake when they ordered mine from Sun-Ringle, me thinking I would be saving time and money vs. buying from CRC.

    Sun Ringle Freehub Body - Demon Rear 12mm 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

    PS. I secretly want a flo yellow Prime as well, got a full build in mind, if only Midwest trails called for such a beast of a frame. One of my fav 29er AM FS frames.
    konahonzo

  31. #1031
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    Just came home with the 2014 Honzo model this weekend. Changed out the pedals to Speedplay drilliums and hit the trails. The bike is awesome! Yeah it's probably heavy but I'm a big boy so the components are not too bad. I'm more at peace with the Shimano components for the '14 build and of course they are lower level components but they work well. I may upgrade a few things later in time but if anyone decides to pull the trigger on the 2014 model I think you will be very content.
    Post some pics, would love to see some real life pics of that green.
    konahonzo

  32. #1032
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    107
    really curious about the green.....

  33. #1033
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Found on google image : https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...14895694_o.jpg
    I like it....

  34. #1034
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by in-vico View Post
    Found on google image : https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...14895694_o.jpg
    I like it....
    Damn, must say I like that better than the 2013 frame. The green with the all black RS fork just works.
    konahonzo

  35. #1035
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ILVMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    28
    I agree^ despite the fact that I have the 2013

  36. #1036
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    83
    There are pictures on KONA BIKES you know guys, in a lot more detail if you look in gallery.

  37. #1037
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    As to your wobble it might mean that you just need a re-tension of the spokes. Regardless of whether the wheels are machine built or hand built after the initial first few rides on new wheels it is always a good idea to get them re-tensioned.
    That's something that in the past I've neglected to my own peril!
    Yeah I've checked with a friend, he said the same. The wobble is really minor so I'm pretty sure it's the spokes and not the rim itself. I do have a spoke tensioner but not sure how to use it. I think for this I'll just bring my bike the lbs.

  38. #1038
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    The green is looking nice indeed! As with the 2013 model, much better looking on a real picture as opposed to the pics on the kona site. Still prefer the 2013 though, the orange is so nice and flashy

  39. #1039
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    107
    reminds me of a army tank. I like the flashy 13' model better I think.

  40. #1040
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Post some pics, would love to see some real life pics of that green.
    Sorry I could not upload the pictures so click on the link below:

    2014 Kona Honzo - dvblue's Photos

  41. #1041
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Damn, must say I like that better than the 2013 frame. The green with the all black RS fork just works.
    That green for some reason just grows on me more everyday. I've had the bike for a week now and that subtle raw look with the green is awesome!

  42. #1042
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    The green is looking nice indeed! As with the 2013 model, much better looking on a real picture as opposed to the pics on the kona site. Still prefer the 2013 though, the orange is so nice and flashy
    Yeah the bike shop had the older model but I wanted the Shimano components so I went with the 2014. I must say when you get the tires and bike dirty with the green color it just looks mean! I'm not say'n the orange is bad at all...

  43. #1043
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Nice pictures! Weird pedals, are those stock?

  44. #1044
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Nice pictures! Weird pedals, are those stock?
    Not stock pedals...they are huge pedals because I have size 16 feet and they just feel right

  45. #1045
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    77
    Any advice on wheelset upgrades? I recently sold one of my other bikes and have some extra cash I would like to throw into some new hoops for the Honzo. My bike is a bone stock (with the exception of pedals & reverb) 2013 model. I weight 205-210 fully geared up and ride in Western NC.

  46. #1046
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Any advice on wheelset upgrades?
    Check out Industry Nine's new Enduro wheelset. Made in Asheville.

  47. #1047
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Have somebody tryed a dual position fork on the Honzo? (Like RS Dual Position, Fox Talas or X-fusion Trace DLA. All have 110-140mm settings.)

    Is the 110mm setting a good match with the Honzo geometry when used on long smooth climbs?

  48. #1048
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    It's a great match....

    For a ton of pedal strikes. I ran my Fox 34 Talas at 110mm and hated it.
    konahonzo

  49. #1049
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    So... then I guess that 110mm setting is only usefull when the targeted DH trail is only accessible via a long road climb...?
    Or even on road it dos'nt help much?

  50. #1050
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It's a great match....

    For a ton of pedal strikes. I ran my Fox 34 Talas at 110mm and hated it.
    Do you run flat pedals or clipped in?


    Quote Originally Posted by in-vico View Post
    So... then I guess that 110mm setting is only usefull when the targeted DH trail is only accessible via a long road climb...?
    Or even on road it dos'nt help much?
    My personal experience is different...

    I run a Fox 34 Float (2012 Air Spring) lowered to 120mm travel - I really prefer the way Honzo handles in all but the steepest downhill terrain (corning is better / attaching technical sections - downhill and flat / body position climbing) compared to when I ran the fork at 140mm.

    I run 180mm cranks, singlespeed (more incidences of "powering through" sections), and rarely clip my pedals (Shimano Clipless) - I ride a lot of rocky and rooty trails (North Shore // PNW).

    -D

  51. #1051
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    Do you run flat pedals or clipped in?
    -D
    At the time of riding all on Point1 Podium flats. Plus I was coming off a 26er TransAM bike and first time on a 29er. So it may not be the best viewpoint on things lol. But still at 140mm, I wouldn't want to go lower now. The bike just rips.
    konahonzo

  52. #1052
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    At the time of riding all on Point1 Podium flats. Plus I was coming off a 26er TransAM bike and first time on a 29er. So it may not be the best viewpoint on things lol. But still at 140mm, I wouldn't want to go lower now. The bike just rips.
    You never miss your TransAM 26?

  53. #1053
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    You never miss your TransAM 26?
    Nope. Not one bit. That bike was too small all around for me, from cockpit size to wheels.
    konahonzo

  54. #1054
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    How tall were you again if you don't mind me asking? I'm 1.96m (6.4" I guess). I'm still not sure if I would prefer 26" over the 29er (I sold my old Trek but hadn't used it for years and before it was just some mild xc'ing). A Cotic Bfe does look nice..I could transfer my wheels and suspension to a new smaller frame and build a bike for my girlfriend... just thinking out loud here, I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree

  55. #1055
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Same height as you. And what is shocking about the whole thing is the difference in cockpit size and reach. 620mm ETT, 70mm stem, 416mm reach on TransAM vs 663 ETT, 50mm stem, 464mm reach on the Honzo. Who knew such a big bike like the Honzo will be ridden a lot more aggressively and with more confidence than the TransAM.
    konahonzo

  56. #1056
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,149
    I looked at those pics and said, "shit, that's Vegas!" Used to be my hometown, too. I really enjoyed the riding there. Just bought a 2013 Honzo and should get it in a few weeks. I think it would have been a great trail bike for the Cottonwood Canyon area and beyond.

  57. #1057
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    still lovin' my Honzo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-1.jpg  

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo.jpg  

    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  58. #1058
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433 View Post
    I looked at those pics and said, "shit, that's Vegas!" Used to be my hometown, too. I really enjoyed the riding there. Just bought a 2013 Honzo and should get it in a few weeks. I think it would have been a great trail bike for the Cottonwood Canyon area and beyond.
    Right on...indeed it's where I took the pictures and the Honzo is a total blast at Cottonwood and 3 mile smile! I think you will be quite content with the new model

  59. #1059
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754

    Honzo Dirt Jumping

    This is a short phone vid of me riding a small line of Dirt jumps in the rain.
    My skill wasn't really turned on this day so there was no getting sideways or anything fancy. I do find the big wheels make it more of a challenge to move the bike around in the air.
    My crew of kids I was coaching this day put me to shame with the steez they were busting out on these small jumps!

    For anyone hesitating on purchasing this bike, don't!
    It is a very fun and versatile bike to ride!

    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R1ojv4JXYE8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  60. #1060
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sparkplug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    36
    What Seat is that?

  61. #1061
    mtbr member
    Reputation: p4nh4ndle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    - I ride a lot of rocky and rooty trails
    -D
    Shoot man, that's all we have out here in PA.

    I could honestly stand to have an extra 1/2" of clearance under the bb.

    I've gone so far as to consider having someone with a mill make me a set of raised sliders.

  62. #1062
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Covering The Eurobike 2013, the following spanish website say that 2014 Honzo frame is upgraded from cromoly to REYNOLDS tubing!!!

    Eurobike 2013: Kona, Endura y Camelbak | MTB Pro

    Would means lighter frame and suppler ride, right?

    But can anyone confirm that this update is realy on the way?

  63. #1063
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    The Explosif frame has been upgraded from what I know, the Honzo is the same 4130 cromoly as before.
    konahonzo

  64. #1064
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Yes I know, but in a french website, they said one month ago that: "A Honzo in a "precious metal" should be out during the season."

    Link here: Matos 2014 : Kona change tout ! - Bike Kulture Magazine

    For me it looks like Kona is planning to release a lightened Honzo Frame... Maybe even titanium?!? Who knows. My guess is for an affordable Reynolds version.

  65. #1065
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    83
    Do you people ever go on Kona's website because all this information is freely available

  66. #1066
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar1 View Post
    Do you people ever go on Kona's website because all this information is freely available
    Wher have you found these news please? I didnt seen anything about a Reynolds or Titanium Honzo on Kona's website...

  67. #1067
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    283

  68. #1068
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    ^ Nice edit.
    konahonzo

  69. #1069
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Sweet vid.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  70. #1070
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    USPS tracking is awful. Currently I am waiting on axle kit so I can build my new frame. I found a few 2013's to choose from at The Path. Awesome shop considering they stripped the bike while have a huge sale during Labor day weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-frame.jpg  


  71. #1071
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    Cool! The other one in the comments is also nice, not a Honzo but still a Kona: The 2013 Kona Shred - YouTube

  72. #1072
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    2014 honzo

    New 2014 frame ready for build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  


  73. #1073
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,149
    Doing your own work? Do you build wheels, too?

  74. #1074
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    here was my honzo with the build i had during the winter:



    trying to sell it like this now:
    Where did you get these tires! Need!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  75. #1075
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    USPS tracking is awful. Currently I am waiting on axle kit so I can build my new frame. I found a few 2013's to choose from at The Path. Awesome shop considering they stripped the bike while have a huge sale during Labor day weekend.
    I picked up one of these from The Path shop as well. Going to be converting my blue 2012 Honzo (also from The Path) from SS to 1x10 and the 2013 will be built up SS. Great frame.
    Mostly a rigid SS, sometimes a geared HT

  76. #1076
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

    2013 small
    140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
    SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
    i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
    Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
    Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
    1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
    DeFacto pedals

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

    Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-stone-bottle-glass.jpg

  77. #1077
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

    2013 small
    140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
    SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
    i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
    Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
    Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
    1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
    DeFacto pedals

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honzo.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	830137

    Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stone Bottle Glass.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	830136
    Wait until your complete and hit the trails; the frame/bike is great!

    I'm curious if the Shimano SLX cranks are the 104 BCD mounting for the wolf tooth chain ring?

  78. #1078
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    283

    37t, WB lengthened to 44.5", bb at 12.5", CS lengthened to16.5"

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20130908_100902.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20130908_100850.jpg

    I really recommend lengthening CS to 16.5. It just feels dialed and you can fit a 2.4 Ardent or 2.5 Minion easily. With socal's current hard pack conditions I'm liking Ardent 2.4's for their speed, cush, and durability. Tried a 2.35 Ikon and sliced it on the first ride. I don't recommend the Ikon for sharp terrain; it has a thin casing.

  79. #1079
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    I'm curious if the Shimano SLX cranks are the 104 BCD mounting for the wolf tooth chain ring?
    Yes, the SLX cranks are 104 BCD. I have been riding as much as I can this weekend. It is everything I have been looking for in a bike. It really is ridiculous it the feel and handling while being a 29er. It jumps so smooth and after my first attempt I had complete confidence in the bike.

    @Carabao, was your Ikon an EXO casing? Curious because that is the tire i am running in the back.

  80. #1080
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Yes, the SLX cranks are 104 BCD. I have been riding as much as I can this weekend. It is everything I have been looking for in a bike. It really is ridiculous it the feel and handling while being a 29er. It jumps so smooth and after my first attempt I had complete confidence in the bike.

    @Carabao, was your Ikon an EXO casing? Curious because that is the tire i am running in the back.
    Yes an Ikon exo 2.35. I could have just been unlucky, but I took it as a bad sign. If it's holding up for you, no reason to change.

  81. #1081
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Its barely over a month old. It sounds like a an unlucky slice. I am comparing it Spec Purg's and the EXO sidewalls feel much thicker/stiffer. I am running about 4-5 lbs less air in my Maxxis tires.

  82. #1082
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carabao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Its barely over a month old. It sounds like a an unlucky slice. I am comparing it Spec Purg's and the EXO sidewalls feel much thicker/stiffer. I am running about 4-5 lbs less air in my Maxxis tires.
    Cool. My slice wasn't on the sidewall. It was between the tread like a knife. Glad it's working for you.

  83. #1083
    mtbr member
    Reputation: p4nh4ndle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    140
    What, no hardpack love for the rampage 2.35? We've seen many a slashed Ardent in PA.

  84. #1084
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,149
    Stock, w/Race Face carbon bars, X-9 type II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  


  85. #1085
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13
    Hey guys!

    Any idea where to get a Honzo frame in Europe?

    Thanks!
    Nicolai Helius AFR frame size L for sale.

  86. #1086
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    @beer_coffee_water: Thanks for the feedback on the 104 BCD mounting. The Wolf tooth looks so burly!

    Right on with your first weekend and riding. It should only get better with the opportunities you get to ride as each week rolls by!

  87. #1087
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by saul View Post
    Hey guys!

    Any idea where to get a Honzo frame in Europe?

    Thanks!

    I'm sure the Kona website can provide some guidance on where to find a frame in your local region

    KONA BIKES | DEALERS

  88. #1088
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    2014 Honzo

    Mostly done, waiting on a Reverb and a specialized butcher out front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2107.jpg  


  89. #1089
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish111 View Post
    Mostly done, waiting on a Reverb and a specialized butcher out front
    Wow that is one SICK build! What might be the weight on your bike? I'm not a light weight freak but my ride is stock and definitely not light.

  90. #1090
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Here are a couple of pics with my build completed and tested. Fish111, that green looks great too. I like it a lot more without the stock all black fork.

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-front-angle.jpg

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-rear-angle.jpg

  91. #1091
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Those small frames do look better then the xl ones, like mine

  92. #1092
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    274

    Honzo Update

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo.jpg

    Hey gang.

    A few updates on my Honzo.

    Ditched the Wierwolf/Bronson combo for a Hans Dampf 2.4 front (trailstar compound) with a Nobby Nic 2.2 (pacestar compound) in the back. What a fantastic difference that made! The Hans Dampf is flat out amazing. Slow to roll on pavement and very hard trails but otherwise the next level grip and cornering traction it provides is confidence inspiring. The Nobby Nic provides excellent climbing traction and sheds mud much better than the Bronson did. Chose the 2.2 over the 2.4 to save some weight. I definitely don't regret the decision to run this combo. I think the WTV Vigilante is a similar tire to the Hans Dampf, but I wanted to go with something people have vetted. Got them online for way under MSRP. Running with tubes as I didn't have access to an air compressor when I wanted to mount them tubeless. Having my shop mount them tubeless soon.

    I also removed the white WTB decals from my rims. Much better looking, and I'm glad to see WTB is moving towards subtler graphics on their KOM rims.

    Finally got a newer WTB Laser V Pro saddle. It fits my bum. 'nuff said.

    Next upgrade is dropping down to a 30t RaceFace Wide/Narrow ring with a RaceFace bashguard on there, for an imminent trip to the rockies.

    Factoid- Still playing with the air pressure in my 2012 Revelation dual Air. Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.

  93. #1093
    mtbr member
    Reputation: p4nh4ndle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	831123

    Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.
    wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.

  94. #1094
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    Wow that is one SICK build! What might be the weight on your bike? I'm not a light weight freak but my ride is stock and definitely not light.
    I'm not sure. Ill weigh it when I'm done building

  95. #1095
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433 View Post
    Doing your own work? Do you build wheels, too?
    No my LBS is building it.

  96. #1096
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,922

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

    Does the Honzo frame have ED rustproof coating inside like the new Nimble9 and TransAm do?

  97. #1097
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.
    I'm on a 20L frame, 190 lbs with gear. I've read on a few places (mostly here at MTBR) that the dual air revelations need less air than labeled. Might also have something to do with the travel going from 120 to 140 mm.

    Eventually I'll upgrade to a Pike or a 34mm xfusion.

  98. #1098
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Does the Honzo frame have ED rustproof coating inside like the new Nimble9 and TransAm do?
    It does not. Some folks have been using Frame Saver and others mention using automotive fogging oil.

  99. #1099
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beer_coffee_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle View Post
    wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.
    I also run lower than recommended pressures 90-95+/95- even with the lower pressures I still am only getting around 20% sag. The fork still rides high and hitting smaller drops and jumps doesn't use all of its travel. I started out at 115 in each. I weigh 185 lbs and am running the fork at 140mm.

  100. #1100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Just riding

    The more I ride this the more I love it. Adjustable travel fork definitely helps with how 140mm of travel wanders on the steep climbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-566906_10151143409331993_284760391_o.jpg  

    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg  


Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post your ETSX builds
    By Shark in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 07:23 PM
  2. Post your Practical Builds
    By hans-solo in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
  3. Custom Builds Thread
    By jncarpenter in forum Turner
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
  4. post your 7" travel under 40 lbs builds
    By dusthuffer in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
  5. XCL Build thread X Post
    By DirtDad in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Members who have read this thread: 504

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •