Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Glad to see your fork back up and running, did they just replace the CSU?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Glad to see your fork back up and running, did they just replace the CSU?
    Entire uppers, stanchions, csu, steerer, and they rebuilt it. I'm happy the noise is gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Just Completed Build

Just finished Honzo Single Speed build after approx 3 months of shopping for the right parts at the right price. Just a few shake down rides so far but feels pretty nice. Other bike is GF Roscoe III all mountain so different riding experience which is fun.

18" Frame
    Fox Float 29 Fork
    Shimano XT M785 ICE Brakes 180F/160R
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    Truvativ Stylo 1.1G Crank set
    Niner 18t Cog
    Bontrager Bars, Grips and Seat Post - OEM take offs from other bike.
    Truvative AKA 60mm Stem
    Cane Creek 40 Headset
    Koobi Enduro PRS Saddle
    "Chinese" Carbon Rims
    Hope Pro 2 EVO Hubs
    DT Swiss Comp Spokes
    Alloy Nibbles
    Bontrager Rim Strips and Valves

Spreadsheet weight w/o peddles - 24.68Lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo1.jpg  

Last edited by tktaylor; 07-21-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Forgot Title

the air is thin up here..
    Very nice build! How are those rims?
    2012 Honzo SS
    2011 Trek Rig - SOLD
    2008 Fisher HiFi Deluxe - SOLD
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Very impressed with the carbon rims. They build up nice. Stiff and light which is especially helpful on a SS.

mtbr member
    So there were questions posed about the Shimano Saint M810 Saint SS derailleur working with a 12-36 cassette but I took a gamble and it has certainly paid off.

Bought a new Shimano M810 Saint SS derailleur and installed it today. No problems whatsoever with the 12-36 cassette (I was worried about the 36T cog as the Saint is rated to a 11-34) and it shifts so much better than the Shimano SLX GS derailleur that I had before.

Crisp, instantaneous, and zero slop compared to before. Chain tension is also greater. I have it paired with a Shimano SLX shifter. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade and the results.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You mean like this?

They all come like that, I wouldn't worry about it much. Just Frame Saver the inside.
    Did you Frame Saver yours? I couldn't find Frame Saver anywhere (always out of stock) so I tried Boeshield T-9 because it sounded like a good alternative and some people recommended it, but the T-9 stuff just won't stick or solidify. It's been over 5 days since I sprayed the insides and when I rotate the frame some of the T-9 still leaks out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    Did you Frame Saver yours? I couldn't find Frame Saver anywhere (always out of stock) so I tried Boeshield T-9 because it sounded like a good alternative and some people recommended it, but the T-9 stuff just won't stick or solidify. It's been over 5 days since I sprayed the insides and when I rotate the frame some of the T-9 still leaks out.
    Sure did. About 4 coats or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So there were questions posed about the Shimano Saint M810 Saint SS derailleur working with a 12-36 cassette but I took a gamble and it has certainly paid off.

Bought a new Shimano M810 Saint SS derailleur and installed it today. No problems whatsoever with the 12-36 cassette (I was worried about the 36T cog as the Saint is rated to a 11-34) and it shifts so much better than the Shimano SLX GS derailleur that I had before.

Crisp, instantaneous, and zero slop compared to before. Chain tension is also greater. I have it paired with a Shimano SLX shifter. I couldn't be happier with this upgrade and the results.
    If Brian Lopes rode for Kona, he would ride a Honzo with a similar build I read that he rides with SLX cranks, shifter, and of course has the Lopes guide. How do you like the guide? Does the chain touch the upper guide at all? How bout the pulley...any noise from it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    If Brian Lopes rode for Kona, he would ride a Honzo with a similar build I read that he rides with SLX cranks, shifter, and of course has the Lopes guide. How do you like the guide? Does the chain touch the upper guide at all? How bout the pulley...any noise from it?
    Lol, kinda true. I read that article as well about the SLX shifter and not liking the mufti-release function.

I like the guide a lot. It was definitely expensive for what it is but it serves its purpose. No noise at all, (from the upper guide rubbing or pulley noise) but you have to be careful when tightening the bolts. The guides are really touchy to being tightened too much and they crack around the bolt area. Already had replaced the upper guide for this reason. And if they aren't tight enough, I had one instance where the upper guide somehow moved a few mm down and rubbed on the cranks. (Which I think might have led it it cracking and before I caught this, I thought my XT BB went and was grinding every pedal stroke, didn't think to check the guide right away)

Also like the E13 TRS+ guide but it's rated for a 33T-38T chainring. No idea why not a 32T, but currently where my upper guide of the MRP sits isn't at the 32T mark anyway, it rubs quite a bit on the cranks at that level. It's somewhere between 32 and 34. And my chainring is an E13 Guidering 32T.

mtbr member
    Some updated pictures, recently got a Thomson seatpost & stem as well as a Bontrager Evoke RXL saddle, Hope QR seat clamp and a Sunline flatbar. The more I ride it, the more it seems to come alive and the reduced weight never hurts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-006.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-015.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-014.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-016.jpg  

"So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    ... recently got a Thomson seatpost...
    Looks like yours slips like mine...

mtbr member
    If your thompson seatpost is slipping, the fix that worked for me was toothpaste. It provides just enough grit and thickness to stop it. I run a fox dropper now and it hasn't budged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    If your thompson seatpost is slipping, the fix that worked for me was toothpaste. It provides just enough grit and thickness to stop it. I run a fox dropper now and it hasn't budged.
    With the toothpaste method?

For the longest, I ran my Reverb post with the SRAM recommended use of friction paste and couldn't track down an annoying creaking of the post/saddle for a few months now. It creaked with every pedal stroke and bump of the trail. I tried everything from different lubes on the rails to trying different clamping forces as SRAM says to use the least amount possible to prevent slipping as the Reverb can bind with a tight seat clamp. I even went as far as buying a new clamping kit for the saddle on the Reverb.

Anyway, in the last attempt of getting rid of the creaking and almost thinking of putting a Thomson post in (as my Reverb slipped A LOT with little seat clamp pressure, but then creaked only ever so often). It was quite aggravating, either dealing with the loud creaking or constantly readjusting my Chromag QR bolt and tightness and adjusting the post position. I decided to wipe off all the friction paste and return to my grease of choice, Rock N Roll Red Devil grease. A light coating on the Reverb, the Chromag QR is tight but not gorilla fisted, and my Reverb works wonderfully now. It doesn't bind, but more importantly it's dead quiet on the trails now, even with hard pedaling.

WNC Native
    Can someone with a 18" Honzo and 120mm fork measure actual standover ,at about the front of the chain ring?

Thanks in advance
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=eurospek;9553271]With the toothpaste method?

Toothpaste was for the Thompson. I just use a light grease for the dropper.

mtbr member
    Initially, I was using grease and the stock Kona seat clamp and noticed my post had slipped after just a quick ride so I got myself the Hope clamp, cleaned the grease out and replaced it with some Finish Line carbon fibre assembly compound (the really gritty stuff) and made a little shim from a pop can and it has worked fine since then, no slipping or creaking.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Can someone with a 18" Honzo and 120mm fork measure actual standover ,at about the front of the chain ring?

Thanks in advance
    NJ...

Just checked mine and it's right about 30" at the front of the chainring....

the air is thin up here..
    ... as well as a Bontrager Evoke RXL saddle
    Beauty saddle! Do you like yours as much as I like mine? I foresee myself throwing one on every bike I own.
    2012 Honzo SS
    2011 Trek Rig - SOLD
    2008 Fisher HiFi Deluxe - SOLD
    www.mngnt.com

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    NJ...

Just checked mine and it's right about 30" at the front of the chainring....
    Thanks CBizzie!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Beauty saddle! Do you like yours as much as I like mine? I foresee myself throwing one on every bike I own.
    I love mine, easily the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Even on days when I'm sore from long rides, it stays comfortable the whole time I'm on it. Plus the fact that it weighs next to nothing never hurts

mtbr member
    Nothing I really want from the new Honzo: KONAWORLD

I like the 2012 color better, and I think if I really wanted 12x142 I could swap out the dropouts, not sure. It's tough to tell, but I think it has the exact same chainstay yoke. The geo hasn't changed except for more slope in the top tube.

mtbr member
    I hope they release the 12x142 dropouts so we can switch them out if we want, that would be a major upgrade IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I hope they release the 12x142 dropouts so we can switch them out if we want, that would be a major upgrade IMO.
    I just talked to some at Kona the other day, and according to him, they will be selling just the 142x12 dropouts in the next month or two. He also mentioned that it would raise the BB height a few mm too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nothing I really want from the new Honzo: KONAWORLD

I like the 2012 color better, and I think if I really wanted 12x142 I could swap out the dropouts, not sure. It's tough to tell, but I think it has the exact same chainstay yoke. The geo hasn't changed except for more slope in the top tube.

Well,at least the stickers are better

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast