Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    The sun is out but the water is very high.

Bike looks good though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Those of you with a 20" inch regular frame (not long), how tall are you? I am around 6'1.5" and currently have a 19" Jamis Exiler 29er with a 120mm stem. I've always felt that the bike could have been a little bigger, but I bought it without a test ride because it was not in stock anywhere close to me. When I stand to pedal, I kinda feel like I am too far forward over the front tire with the fork under me. I would definetly use a short 50mm stem for the Honzo. The 20L is definetly too big/long for me, but a 18" might be too small.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BlackSheep01; 06-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Dianetics Junior
    I am 5'11" on an 18....feels perfect. IMO you are right on with your thoughts on the 20" being the correct size. The Honzo responds when you stand up to pedal on climbs, and even at my height I have to consciously shift my weight back at times. Based on what you say you would probably feel way too far out front on the 18.

I am sure there are 20" riders who can give you more specific feedback out there....hope you get it sorted out - the bike is a blast!
    Last edited by CBizzie; 06-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    I am 5'11" on an 18....feels perfect. IMO you are right on with your thoughts on the 20" being the correct size. The Honzo responds when you stand up to pedal on climbs, and even at my height I have to consciously shift my weight back at times. Based on what you say you would probably feel way too far out front on the 20.

I am sure there are 20" riders who can give you more specific feedback out there....hope you get it sorted out - the bike is a blast!
    Which is it?
    Is the 20" the right size or not?

Dianetics Junior
    Ooops...my bad.......I meant you would feel too far out on the 18....I fixed it...

Thanks Ride Everything!...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Im 5'11 on a 18 inch with a 90mm stem and a setback post. The Honzo is a big bike and the 18 feels perfect for me as well. I also agree that at 6'1 the 20 R is the right size for you.

mtbr member
    I would get the 20R if I was you. IMO these bikes fit smaller than the geo charts (especially ETT) lead you to believe. I'm on a 20L, 6'4" and loving every minute of it.

mtbr member
    A couple of changes to the initial build but super stoked on the new fork. Gone is the 2012 Fox Talas 34 FIT RLC in favor of a 2012 Fox Float 34 FIT RLC in Black.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    A couple of changes to the initial build but super stoked on the new fork. Gone is the 2012 Fox Talas 34 FIT RLC in favor of a 2012 Fox Float 34 FIT RLC in Black.

That looks bad ass!!

My black f29 is actually in for warranty for a creaking stanchion/crown steerer tube interface. It's a problem fox is having trouble fixing. What do you have the fork set at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    What do you have the fork set at?
    140mm. And plush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Beefy stanchions! Do you notice any sticktion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howard619 View Post
    Beefy stanchions! Do you notice any sticktion?
    None whatsoever. Has been smoother out of the box than the Talas 34. I can't wait to get it broken in completely!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the sizing feedback guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a 20" from Bikeman.

This will be my first build so I am excited.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought a Honzo frame. Did a build up with a 100mm fork I had, and it actually rides ok. Could be ok for marathons. But I am going to get a new fork, but torn between a 120 (that it is actually designed for) and a 140mm. Worried that the 140 might make it toooo slack.
    Any recommendations?

Thanx
    J

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by janowitz View Post
    I just bought a Honzo frame. Did a build up with a 100mm fork I had, and it actually rides ok. Could be ok for marathons. But I am going to get a new fork, but torn between a 120 (that it is actually designed for) and a 140mm. Worried that the 140 might make it toooo slack.
    Any recommendations?

Thanx
    J
    I recommend that you buy a fork that can do either, by adding or removing a spacer.

Also note that I believe the geo numbers on the honzo are based off of an unsagged 120mm fork - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, the Axle to Crown measurements of some forks are longer than others. For example, the 140mm Revelation is slightly shorter than the 140mm Fox 34. This means you could get away with a bit more travel, without changing the geo as much.

I think Eurospek will chime in with proper numbers
    2012 Honzo SS
    2011 Trek Rig - SOLD
    2008 Fisher HiFi Deluxe - SOLD
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    I recommend that you buy a fork that can do either, by adding or removing a spacer.

Also note that I believe the geo numbers on the honzo are based off of an unsagged 120mm fork - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, the Axle to Crown measurements of some forks are longer than others. For example, the 140mm Revelation is slightly shorter than the 140mm Fox 34. This means you could get away with a bit more travel, without changing the geo as much.

I think Eurospek will chime in with proper numbers
    Like noot said get a 140mm fork and try it out. You can always spaced it down to 130,120,110 if you don't like it. I first had mine at 110 and I thought I loved it, until I started smacking my pedals, and then tried out 140mm. It's superb at that setting, especially setting the fork to plush with quite a bit of sag.

As for A-2-C numbers, Revelation 140 is 548mm and the Fox 34 is 552mm.

mtbr member
    My Honzo size 18"
    XLC 780mm handelbar
    Spiderless HB 30T
    XLC seatpost 100mm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    got this guy a few weeks back, and it sure is a fun whip. I love the big sizing, the lateral stiffness, the generally rad geometry. tons of fun.

built up with a full 770 XT kit, and a spare saint mech I had lying around for shifting. thing is silent down hills between the short cage and the double-layered chainstay protection. It's right around 29lbs as shown (20L), but I added a reverb which made it so much better.

mtbr member
    ^ Short or medium Saint mech? What cassette are you using? Trying to find out if I can use a Saint SS with 12-36 cassette?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ Short or medium Saint mech? What cassette are you using? Trying to find out if I can use a Saint SS with 12-36 cassette?
    It's a super-short on an 11-34 xt m-770. It might fit with a 36T, but it would be really close I'd imagine.

There is a little extra space for the derailleur to swing up into when in the 34, and tension is still pretty good in the smaller cogs, so it might work, but you'd need to be wary of not doing really rough descents in your 36 (not that you would be anyway, but still).

Best bet is to give shimano a call. they've usually been very helpful when I've called in wondering about compatibility when I'm building franken-parts. I can probably shoot a few pictures of the fitment when I get home though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got my Honzo frame in the mail today and noticed that there is small rectangular area of steel exposed on the underside of the bottom bracket where the serial number is located. It looks like the frame was painted with a label on, which was then taken off afterwards. Is this typical for the Honzo? If so, what did you guys do to protect this area from rust?

mtbr member
    You mean like this?

They all come like that, I wouldn't worry about it much. Just Frame Saver the inside.

the air is thin up here..
    Took my Honzo on a 4-day trip to the rockies here in Canada. All I have to say is, the bike keeps getting better and better.

The steel frame is incredible - I'm a full convert. One of the trails consists of a TON of roots. Several 4-6" tall roots per foot of trail, it's literally a tooth-rattler. Well, it used to be.

For the first time on this trail, my hands didn't hurt (thank you Revelation). This bike feels like a full-suspension frame, and I was running higher rear tire pressure than I normally do (30PSI). I actually couldn't believe the difference, I'm sure I was annoying the hell out of my friends ranting and raving about it every time we stopped to catch our breath.

This pic was taken on day 2 on an extremely wet trail - NOT the technical one I was talking about above. Several sections were washed out, and we had some waist-deep creek crossings The next day, it snowed. Gotta love Canada

2012 Honzo SS
    2011 Trek Rig - SOLD
    2008 Fisher HiFi Deluxe - SOLD
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I Just bought my stock assembled Honzo last month - fantastic bike - great ride. I've never customized a bike, but putting in 40+mi a week of mixed trail & seeing problems posted with the rear hub has me thinking about changing out some bits, or being prepared to. At 34lbs stock, I wouldn't mind shedding some weight with upgrades, though nothing seems to be wearing poorly. Seems like wheels, hubs & crank(set or arms?) are the most mentioned. I don't want to drop a ton of cash on anything that can't take a beating. So, suggestions on a parts diet for my big blue pig?

mtbr member

Honzo Upgrades

Upgraded to a Flow EX wheelset, PRO 740mm bar Thomas Vanderham 8/4 rise/sweep, and Fox DOSS 5" dropper:

Pics are here: Jul 19, 2012 - a set on Flickr

I'm loving all the upgrades, but the DOSS really just blows me away. I never had a dropper post before, so I would just work around it and lower the seat if there was a long descent. Then I realized how much more fun it is to descend and ride in general with the seat slammed, so I rode around for the last 4 months with it slammed and just rode standing. I got real strong, but rides were tough, even short ones. So, now I have the DOSS and I'm loving it. I like that it's mechanical, and I find the mid position very useful. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by carabao; 07-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast