mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hey everybody. Noob here with taro question

So I'm looking to get back I to mountain biking again. A LBS in the area I'd clearing out all 2013 stuff for 35% off. So I really
    Like the taro spec wise and price wise. I can get it for $850. And it will work for what I want to do. I want a decent AM hardtail. My problem is they don't have one in my size. They have 18". Its just a little too small for me. And they say they can't get a larger size. I'm kinda a Clyde at 6'1" 230#. When I sat on it. The reach to the bars was too close. So my question after all my rambling is will a longer stem work for me? Im scared that I will need too long of a stem to really be comphy. But at $850 its a really good deal.

Do I get the bike or not?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You'd have to actually ride it or another bike with similar cockpit set up to see how it would work out on the trail. $850 wouldn't be such a hot deal if it doesn't fit properly. For what it's worth, I'm 5' 9" and I'm on a small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just had a similar situation with a Honzo. I found such a screaming deal one that was ridden a couple times I had to take it. I'm 6'2" with long arms and got the XL. I probably should be on the large. A slightly long TT is easily remedied with a shorter stem in my case. In your situation, you'd have to lengthen the stem, which I don't think necessarily lends itself to this type of frame and geo. I would keep looking. Nows a good time to find a 2013.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK, thanks guys. I will pass on the bike. There are a lot of bikes out there right now for cheap. I'll keep looking

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is a screaming deal, I just paid $1000 for one and I thought my deal was good!

Okay, so you are an inch taller than me and 30# heavier, I have a 32-33" inseam, long arms, big feet and hands, and I ride an 18", the fit is perfect with the stock 55mm stem and I am going to try an even shorter 45mm stem this weekend.

These bikes are not XC bikes, they need to fit tight so you can throw them around like a BMXer, also you want to be able to get back over that rear wheel to keep it down because the chainstays are so short, and don't forget that you will have front end that is super slacker, so the bike rides long in the front end.

Get the 18", it's a great bike, easilly a top performer even if it's not outfitted with the best parts to start, it is worth upgrading. At that price you could ride it, buy and sell frames, even resale and not lose money. I just bought a used Honzo for myself, the Taro goes to my wife to replace her FSR; she liked the Taro better than her FS!

If you don't buy that Taro, pass on the info so someone here can score it!

mtbr member
    Yah it really is a mix. Fit is probably one of the most important aspects of deciding on a bike. A good fit is essential. I have read that you really want a somewhat smaller fit on the Taro, compared to an XC hardtail, but dont go too small.

A longer stem and moving the seat back if possible may do the trick. It sounds like it could work, and like Nurse Ben said, that's a killer deal for a complete Taro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    don't do it! if it felt too short in the store....it will be way worse out on the trail. especially when going uphill for any length of time. new style bike fit is all about a slightly longer frame w shorter stem than what was standard in the past. if you get the 18 and run a longer stem it really reduces the dh performance, which is the point of an "AM" bike in the first place. i ran a med. santa cruz for years at 5-11. I always felt cramped while climbing. I finally got a large and am so much more comfortable with the reach, running a shorter stem.