ride on!

Help w/my chainline???

Hey i need some pointers maybe. I have a RF Ti BB matched w/Next LP cranks and RF chainrings. i'm running sram x.9 rd, x-gen fd, Sram 99 chain and cassette. Okay so the thing is my shifting seems hard to dail in for all gears to work smoothly. I'll get skipping in some ranges. So i was wondering if I'm needing to change my chainline gap from what the installation instructions call for? Ohh and this is a 03 dawg primo frame. Thanks for any advice.
    Pedalpower2dapeopleyo!!!!

mtbr member

Some suggestions....

Are the components all the same age (is one of them old and the others new)? Sometimes if the chain is new and the cassette is old you will get skipping. An older chain is stretched and an older cassetter will be worn. I have have always changed the chain and cassette at the same time and have never had a problem.

Also, does it skip more with certain combinations with the chain rings? Yo might get skipping if you run small chain ring, smallest cog. Or vice versa big chain ring, biggest cog.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndawg
    Hey i need some pointers maybe. I have a RF Ti BB matched w/Next LP cranks and RF chainrings. i'm running sram x.9 rd, x-gen fd, Sram 99 chain and cassette. Okay so the thing is my shifting seems hard to dail in for all gears to work smoothly. I'll get skipping in some ranges. So i was wondering if I'm needing to change my chainline gap from what the installation instructions call for? Ohh and this is a 03 dawg primo frame. Thanks for any advice.
    All good advise from rjohnston . Do you run triggers or grippers? That matters as some derailleurs are not compatible with triggers. Also... if it`s really a chainline problem your BB may be too long.

To check this hold the rear end of your bike up to your eye level - with one eye shut, sight down the middle cassette ring (with chain on that ring and middle front ring). The chain should be "close" to straight in that position. If not, your BB needs replacing.

ride on!
    Howdy and thanks,

All these were put in at the same time. Brand new build last winter's solstice. So every thing has about 300 miles on it and i'm preparing it for a CDT mtnbike route. They are x.9 trigger shifters and my BB is 68mm correct size. I had measured the chain line after sighting down it and it was 50mm a little too far i think so i'm resetting it and think that might be it. It was skipping more in last 3 low gears in rear while the front was in highest gear. Thanks
    `peace out dawg
    Pedalpower2dapeopleyo!!!!