Epic eater
    Oct 2005

Hei Hei snapped frame at seat tube, anyone seen this before?

I have a 2012 Hei Hei, riding along on a dirt road with small pud muddles (i.e. a grandma type ride) and hear a crack then back end drops and rubs on tire. I hop off bike and look and everything looks ok with no weight, as the frame mostly lines up with no weight...add weight and the break is all separated. The seat tube broke right below the rear suspension pivot.

I'm on a weekend bike vacation, so will visit my local Kona dealer when I get back home but I was shocked to see this. I'm not the original owner so we'll see if Kona will warranty replace anything or not, but not was I was hoping for this weekend.

Hei Hei snapped frame at seat tube, anyone seen this before?-img_20141011_115940.jpg
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, Kona Tanuki & some Trek hardtail

mtbr member
    whoa..haven't seen that before..hopefully Kona will help you out..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't know about the Hei Hei, but that happened on my 2012 Tanuki DL... it cracked in the exact same spot. Kona sent me a new frame. In my case I was the original owner and went through the the shop I purchased it from and it took about a month. Good luck. Hopefully they will replace it for you.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I checked with the local shop today and they said they are happy to try but they have never seen Kona replace a frame for a non-original-purchaser and they have tried several times they said.

So I'm still going to try at least...also trying a few other avenues for support...we'll see. I'm not heart broken, just annoyed by it. My dilemma is if Kona won't warranty the frame then do I buy a used Hei Hei frame myself (conveniently there is a used one in the exact same size on ebay right now), or buy some other bike frameset and move my parts over to it, knowing that some may not work (i.e. different bottom bracket or something)...or just ditch this bike entirely (use parts on my other bikes) and just buy something different since while I loved the Hei Hei I'm a bit gunshy now about Konas.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, Kona Tanuki & some Trek hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had a 2010 HeiHei 100 Scandium frame that I busted in the same area above the shock bracket welds on the seat tube.

I was the original owner and Kona made me an un-refusable deal on an Explosif Ti 650b frame as replacement. I am very happy now and am secretly glad I busted my old HeiHei even though it was also a great handling bike.

I would not put any stock in the frame failure as a reason to not go with a current Kona model. They have changed a lot for the better recently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If they don't replace the frame for free, I wonder if you could talk them into letting you buy a new frame in a crash replacement deal. It never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    If they don't replace the frame for free, I wonder if you could talk them into letting you buy a new frame in a crash replacement deal. It never hurts to ask.
    Most good Kona shops should try to get you a crash replacement. You wont get a free frame without being the origanal owner. At least this way you get a new frame at a reduced rate with full warranty.

If you dont work on your own bike then the labour cost can be a bit.

I am in Canada though and we are super nice all the time.