mtbr member
    Apr 2007

has anyone rode a precept yet?

I like the price and specs but feel like there must be a catch. i'm guessing they must not have sold any yet because there is zero rider feedback on them. btw this is my first post since joining in 07, yay!

mtbr member
    I will second this question.

@freeride78 I think the Precept and DL are both new to Kona's 2014 lineup.

I'm in your boat too, the pricepoint is hard to beat for an entry level FS. I don't know enough about Kona or the specs to speak enough about it, but this bike is definitely on my radar!!

Anyone, anyone?

mtbr member
    they have nearly the same geometry as the process 134, so i am sure the ride of that bike translates well to the precept...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    they have nearly the same geometry as the process 134, so i am sure the ride of that bike translates well to the precept...
    ..but they have the same suspension design as the satori. If I were going to consider a precept, it would have to be the DL...the base model has too many cheap components...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    they seem to be a great entry point bike but yet a decent spec for the money. if they are at all as capable as the Satori - with which they also share the same rear suspension - it would be really hard to beat this bike for price. I've rode a Satori hard for a year - and it is an overly capable, fun and good bike. I demo'd the new process 153 in Moab recently and felt the geo was amazing - granted the 153 and 134 or DL are a different breed really considering the travel differences, but it was the geo of the front center and short chainstays that really were nailed. my shop owner rode em at dealer days and said they ripped...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the replies! can't wait to hear some firsthand reviews but sounds like it'll still be a little while before dealers see any

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride78 View Post
    thanks for the replies! can't wait to hear some firsthand reviews but sounds like it'll still be a little while before dealers see any
    LBS by me in AZ has a bunch in their rental fleet. Everybody seems to think that the DL is an awesome entry-level bike with decent components and good geo...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Thanks woahey. Looking forward to coming up and riding one myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have ridden the DL for a two hour rip on my local trails. Super solid bike for the price. It really is just a budget version of the process 134. Slightly different geo but behaves very simular to the 134. Climbs well and has a very confident feel on the downs. Descends as well as my old dawg supreme which was Way pimped out and a bit more confidence inspiring than the Tanuki model it replaced. If you can afford the delux then get that one as the base model is good value but for a few extra hundred the difference is quite large. All in all this is a solid bike worthy of years of abuse and also a great frame to throw upgrades at when things wear out. I ride high end bikes and I really enjoyed my time on the Precept. One weak nit pick would be the non clutch rear derailleur. You don't really notice how awesome the new derailleurs are until you go back to the noisy slap of a regular deore. Wrap your chainstay with a tube immediately If you get this bike.
    Full disclosure... I'm a Kona dealer and I love the brand. At this price point we are going all in as it's a great value compared to our other brands. (who also make awesome bikes!)
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks yahsper. What's the weight of the bike?

mtbr member
    Centurion has already informed me of the precept...I'll throw in a monkey wrench,,,,I've been looking at the Fezzari Alta Peak....its 1950.00 and has SRAM components and its a 10 speed. The X9 rear der. has the clutch....its a hard decision between these two...guess i gotta flip a coin. dang it.
    "I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all outta bubblegum".

mtbr member
    They're both great deals. Fezzari is a 9 hour drive for me. They do a bike fit and will size your stem and seat post. Possibly worth the drive.

Having said that...my LBS will have the Precept DL's in next month. And another shop in a neighboring town has them to rent out. There's a lot to be said for buying local. And for me, while I do want three chainrings, 3x9 or 3x10 is not a big deal.

Would be nice to be able to compare the weight of both bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: has anyone rode a precept yet?

Bike and bean, outside of Sedona, has dl's for rent and I was seriously thinking about flying out to ride one. The riding would be my main reason to go out there but testing out the bike would be a nice bonus. We don't really have any options for renting nice bikes in Michigan

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anybody seen real world reviews of the Precept or Precept DL? If not has anybody put any trail miles on either bike? Looking to hear something about this bike soon hopefully.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

In for updates!! I'm looking for a FS bike under $2k and on paper the Precept DL looks like a great deal. I'm only a casual rider and have a hard tail but would like a FS to hit some more trails. I'm also considering a Trek Fuel EX 5 or 6 because that's what my LBS carries, they also have a Specialized Camber which I had not previously considered. Thanks for anyn help.

mtbr member
    FYI there is a review of the Precept in the new issue of Mountain Bike Action

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    FYI there is a review of the Precept in the new issue of Mountain Bike Action
    Patiently waiting for MBA's "oh so quick" digital edition to catch up with the news stand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It was reviewed with the process 134. They basically said if you could save up the extra $700 go for the process. I just bought a precept DL but am considering bringing it back to upgrade to the process. I haven't ridden the precept as it is still winter where I'm at, and since I'm pretty much brand new to biking I don't know if I should upgrade now or ride for a season then consider it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlivid View Post
    It was reviewed with the process 134. They basically said if you could save up the extra $700 go for the process. I just bought a precept DL but am considering bringing it back to upgrade to the process. I haven't ridden the precept as it is still winter where I'm at, and since I'm pretty much brand new to biking I don't know if I should upgrade now or ride for a season then consider it.
    I was waiting for a precept dl, but after reading reviews on the 134, i decided to go that route. Very nice bike, but i haven't ridden it yet as it is very much still winter here. The 134 was just a better value for me as i would have updated the precept to a 10 speed drive train and added a dropper post. Also i ended up getting the process for a bit under msrp as well. Win, win, win.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Congrats! I think I'm going to stick with the precept dl for now. I'm basically new again to all of this so ill just flog the hell out of it as I get some skill and time on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlivid View Post
    Congrats! I think I'm going to stick with the precept dl for now. I'm basically new again to all of this so ill just flog the hell out of it as I get some skill and time on the trails.
    Oh, the precept is undoubtedly more capable than most trail riders out there (myself included). You will enjoy that bike for some time. Enjoy!