Thread: frame stress

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

frame stress

Howzit fellaz. I have a question that's been on my mind for weeks now. I scored a 09 dawg frame and it came with 170mm manitou kingpin stance and fox van r rear shock. I rebuilt the front shocks wich is very promising. I weigh 255lbs and never blew yet on trail rides wirh 50psi. So my concern was the front shock. I had a few peeps on the island said I was crazy and I'm stressing out the frame with that fork. IS THIS TRUE?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, it's true. At your weight, and with that much extra fork over stock, you've increased the leverage on the frame by enough to make it risky. It might be fine forever, it might put you in the ER next you get on it. Depends on how hard you ride it. Personally I would not trust it at my weight of 145...

Even if the frame doesn't crack, the bike's angles are all out of whack. It came with a 130mm fork, you're adding 40mm plus those forks were notoriously long for their travel. It must feel like riding a chopper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. I was wondering why the front looked more like a chopper. Lol and no I don't want to end up in the ER. I jus got out due to a nasty jump that broke 7 ribs and a punctured lung on another bike. I am a beginner and my kona is a project bike that came with that shock. I was planning to swap out both shocks for FOX. 160 talas up front and the ctd out back. Thanks for ur help

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The problem is 160 is still 30mm extra and if this isn't your bike, how long has that bike ridden that way? The damage may already been done, just hasn'y shown itself
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The guy I bought it from had a buddy that striped the kona and left the island and he said that it was an extra shock laying around his house. I know for sure that fork wasn't use because it the stem was taped to the fork and never had that star in the steerer tube to lock the stem down. And the frame look pretty sound, no scratches and dents and no stress marks on the head tube area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Dawgs are tough frames and youd be fine with a 140mm (they were specced with 130 or 140mm forks) probably a 150mm would be ok

it may be possible to reduce the travel on the stances, but
    old manitous arent the best forks in the world, id ditch them and get something in reasonable condition from fox or a marzocchi (thats not from 2008 or 2009)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah kimbers, I agree the stance are poo. Lol but with my weight and 50psi, I'm surprised it didn't pop yet. Yes I will upgrade the fronts for a new Fox 160 talas and out back a Fox float x. Which both have CTD.