mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Fox Vanilla R on Kona Coilair Supreme 2009 hitting the frame

Hi
    I bought my bike 2nd hand from a guy who replaced some of the components. The rear shock is a spring based Fox Vanilla R.

I have the bike for about a year now and love it. Today on the trails some dude was checking out my bike (he also owned a coilair) and he told me that the spring on the rear shock was interrupting with the magic link because it sits on top of the frame (see pics for reference).

I went to a Kona reseller shop today and the mechanic told me to try to rotate the shock 180 degrees as there is more space on the other side. Does this make sense? Can shocks be installed both ways (eg. there is no up and down).

If this shock is no good, which one should I get that would fit?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Vanilla R on Kona Coilair Supreme 2009 hitting the frame-20130503_151740.jpg  

Fox Vanilla R on Kona Coilair Supreme 2009 hitting the frame-20130503_151751.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh jeez. You are lucky that hasn't damaged the frame yoke, that is crazy.

Yep, you can flip the shock over, direction doesn't matter. That might gain you enough to clear the yoke.

Ideally, that bike was designed around an air shock like the Fox RP23. I think it's a 7.875" x 2.25" shock (200mm x 57mm).

KONA 2009 - Coilair Supreme

I'd replace that with a Monarch Plus or something like that in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I switched it up-side-down and it seemed to help. There is atleast 2 cm between the end of the shock and the frame.
    I will ride it tomorrow and see if its still hitting the frame. If it will keep doing that I will replace the shock with either Fox or RockShox

Thanks!

I do what I want
    2cm? is that with the suspension compressed?? I would take the spring off the shock, put the collar back on without the spring, in the same relative place it sits with the spring and cycle the suspension to be sure nothing hits like before, otherwise you could end up doing damage. That magic link moves forward and backward depending on the mode (climbing\decending) your in so you want to be sure its going to work for both, so the shock doesnt bottom on the frame any longer. If it does, your SOL on coil shocks and will have to run air.
    Good luck
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.