mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Fork upgrade 07 dawg

Hello fellow Kona riders looking for some advice. The marzocchi mx pro on my 07 dawg is done and I need a replacement. About me: 175 lbs, intermediate xc/ some all mountain riding, never more than a 2-3' drop at the most. Ride in the Seattle area, mostly at Duthie, Tiger and St Edwards if you are familiar with the area. Ride 2x a week when the weather permits. Budget is $250 or lower. The stock fork is 120 travel fyi. Have been keeping an eye on craigslist but haven't found much.

So I'm asking if anyone has done a similar upgrade on their dawg or has any advice on models, websites,lbs, etc. I've been looking at the Tora line, or something like this:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400205

Not overly concerned with weight or coil vs air, just looking for a good deal that will meet my modest riding needs. Thank you and any advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I put a Talas on my 06 Dawg, but that probably is out of your budget unless you find a used one. It's a great match for a Dawg.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not saying you shouldnt upgrade but have you serviced your fork recently. A good oil change can make a world of difference with these forks. Worked on my friends for which was setup with way to much oil making it stiff. Reduced the volume and its ok for now. Mixed some Spectro 5wt & 10wt into 7.5wt and oiled up my old 2001 Z3 and its certainly feeling better. However its it physically damaged & not just harsh its certainly time for an upgrade. THe link you posted was down due to maintenance. I have had great luck with my old 04 marzhocchi Z1 its got the upraded cartridge rather then the old SSV which has always felt ahrsh to me. If you have the $$ a Marz 44 would be a sick fork just under an inch more travel. Great resale value and perfect for Duthie & the bigger hits out there. Sould be able to set it up plush enough to take down tiger mt and make it smooth as butter.

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...3-Ti-QR15-2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the fork is actually broken, so I gotta replace it. I agree that the marzocchi 44 would be a sweet upgrade but I think its a little out of my budget. Going to be keeping an eye on craigslist and pinkbike to see if something pop ups. If I don't find anything I can always get a Tora for fairly cheap, trying to keep it at around $250 max.

Members who have read this thread: 0