mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Which fork for my entourage?

Hi all,
    I am getting an entourage as a replacement for my broken coilair, as good as the coil air was, I had some real issues with the design which I believe may have contributed to its failure however...

I will probably run a rock shox fork a lyric dh coil or a totem. I did not like the 180 talas at all even after 4 months in the alps is wad still stiff with massive sticktion, almost like it never broke in, no where plush enough for my liking.

Any other suggestions, bos seem to have reduced their prices on some forks, x fusion may be an option. Must be coil. Share your thoughts please

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What happened to your warranty on coilair?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bought the coilair for a purpose to ride big mountains in the alps, this is now over. As.well as the bike climbed, when you were descending if you put any pressure at all on the front pedal the magic link activates and you get 135mm travel. So as a result you have to have your weight over the ass end all the time, not how I ride I like to try and keep my body neutral. It was just to unpredictable as to how the rear end would react. Come off a big jump or drop with even the slightest pressure on the front pedal and you only get 135 when you land. I destroyed 3 rear wheels in 4 months, I have never had this much trouble with wheels. Yes kona would have replaced it with a coilair but since the coilair has been discontinued for 2013. I asked if I could have an operator or an entourage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Magic in neutral body position is not activated, so I am not sure how did you get this impression about rear wheel suspension travel. Just like when you are standing and pedaling, all 200mm is involved, you can see magic link rocking back and forward, and the much higher travel, its only when you sit and apply the force from the hip down in the direction, magic link activates, I can feel this when I ride. I believe this can be tested, you know when full travel is involved, this magic link rocker part (whatever its called) stays forward. One could put a camera and land a big drop, to see where its positioned. Destroying the wheels could be for any reason. What kind of drops/jumps were you taking?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would find that on the longer rocky or root filled decents if I had my weight way back you could feel the bike slacken out and just accelerate exactly what it is to do. However as soon as my weight drifted forwad at all and put downward pressure on the front pedal, the bike would steepen rear end would get higher and the rear end would start chattering around and loose all its plush 200mm travel feel, exactly what the magic link should do when activated. Jumps and drops were not what destroyed the wheels, I believe it was ridding massive high speed dh decents, some 30 min plus decents. Where on some hits you would feel the rear end soak up the hit and then randomly with a small body weight shift wack the bike feels like it just hit a wall in the rear end. The magic link was set up correctly. I know this reaction of bike behaviour will occur with most bikes with a forward body weight shift however I think it was massively accentuated on the kona. Mabey I have a different riding style I don't know all I know is when I rode the same tracks on another bike with no magic link and pretty much the same rear shock and travel, same body position I had full active travel all the time. Don't get me wrong for an 18kg (dropper post dh tyres and wheels) freeride bike it climbs amazingly well and the magic link is quite magic in that respect. I never felt comfortable on the frame, plus when I go back home It would be way overkill for my home am trails. Just my thoughts I'm sure others love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I actually never had magic link set as they describe in their guides. First of all, I couldnt get their adviced 3mm magic link shift when I sit on my bike, to do that, I would need to screw the auxiliary shock almost as far as it goes, and then I would get the worst of magic link (too much pedal feedbacks), most of the time, regardless of the pressure in main shock.
    Maybe its because I am too heavy so it doesnt apply for my weight, but I found that if I tighten the auxiliary shock just so little that the spring doesnt bounce around, my magic link if free of this negative pedal feedbacks through the most of the range, most of the time.

Here is the video which demonstates how the magic link works:
    The Kona Magic Link Video | Kona COG

Btw, its nice of Kona to offer you other frames.

Enturage looks very cool, I have seen it once on the street, but since I like pedaling a lot, it wouldnt suit me well.
    Last edited by toni31; 09-19-2012 at 03:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah I will be building up another bike to do the pedaling jobs. The entourage will just be my mini dh rig, local trails don't really warrant a full dh race rig. I'm with you on the magic link spring. I'm around 240 lbs and it was a bit hard to set it up. I eventually had it set to their recommendation Mabey that was part of the problem Mabey it was to hard?
    Kona has been great quick response through crc. I would have gone with a 2012 coilair I didn't expect them to offer another frame but I thought I would ask. I assume was the coilair not discontinued I would not have been given a choice. I am happy with the outcome, and as I have experienced in the past kona stands behind their products 100%

Anyway back on topic, I have only had experience with the lyric dh fork. Can anyone comment on other 170 - 180mm forks?