mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fire Mountain and Lana'i (2013 models)

I have been searching all over this site and I really can't find any information about the Kona Fire Mountain or Lana'i. I am interested in both bikes as an alternative to a Specialized Hardrock or Giant Revel. I like the fact that they are different and that their gearing seems to be more "wide" ratio. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Are they good buys or should they be avoided? Is the Hardrock just a safer bet?

I would appreciate any input you may provide!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 2012 fire mountain, i love it. Ive had it for two months and havent had any problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 2012 fire mountain too. I feel its drive train isn't really better than the X4 on giant revel 1, but definitely better than hardrock. But the fork (Rockshox XC28, has rebound) and brake (Shimano M446 hydraulic) are really much better than revel's or hardrock's. So if you have enough budget, get the fire mountain.

Keep an eye on the pedals, they are rubbish. And my seat post has slight different diameter alone its length, so I have to adjust my quick release every time I change its height, but not really a big problem.

Oh, by the way, don't limit your choice on those. There are a lot of great bikes in this price range. Go to your LBS, test ride all of them and see what geometry work the best. Sometimes geo is more important than spec.