mtbr member

Downhilling a Coiler.

I've got a 2005 Coiler and am thinking of getting back into downhill racing, if I upgrade the forks to dual clamps with 170mm+ travel and fit a chain device/single ring conversion what do you reckon?, or has anyone done it already?

mtbr member

Dont Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Coiler Mad
    I've got a 2005 Coiler and am thinking of getting back into downhill racing, if I upgrade the forks to dual clamps with 170mm+ travel and fit a chain device/single ring conversion what do you reckon?, or has anyone done it already?
    I wouldnt do it. The coiler is designed for 6 in of travel, and I believe messing with that will void your warrenty. I have heard Kona Joe speak of this. The coiler is not a DH bike either. It is a FR bike. If you want to get into the downhill racing buisness go with one of the Stabs as they are DH bikes. Either that or get a Stinky which are beafier than the Coiler.
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Putting a double crown fork on a Coiler is fine, and will not void the warranty. People have DH raced Coilers, and that's fine, especially in some regions.
    Trying to change the travel in back is not okay, and will void the warranty.

Cheers!
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Putting a double crown fork on a Coiler is fine, and will not void the warranty. People have DH raced Coilers, and that's fine, especially in some regions.
    Trying to change the travel in back is not okay, and will void the warranty.

Cheers!
    Joe.
    Does increasing the front travel void the warrenty? I wouldnt think that 6 inches on rear would be enough for DH though. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    Does increasing the front travel void the warrenty? I wouldnt think that 6 inches on rear would be enough for DH though. What do you think?
    Nope increasing the front wheel travel will not void the warranty.
    6" is fine for DH, why not? A few years ago, DH'ers had 4" front and back. Jeff Jones did pretty well on a rigid Ti bike, this year. Granted, more travel does make things nicer, but it's not necessary.

Joe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Nope increasing the front wheel travel will not void the warranty.
    6" is fine for DH, why not? A few years ago, DH'ers had 4" front and back. Jeff Jones did pretty well on a rigid Ti bike, this year. Granted, more travel does make things nicer, but it's not necessary.

Joe.
    Shrug, i guess I wouldnt know. I dont keep up on that stuff. I have an 05 Coiler, and it doesnt seem like the Vanilla R would handle DH racing. You know better than me. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Won't be changing the rear apart from a heavier spring, I don't think you need 8"+ on the rear here on the UK courses though.

i heart singletrack

even though i have a stinky dl...

... i'd prefer to have a coiler for dh action here in nebraska (an oxymoron?). there's nothing here that a 6" travel bike can't handle. that said, on big freeride-style drops, i do like having the 7" of travel my stinky gives me...

my personal belief is that for a dh race bike, long travel is secondary to quality travel. for a freeride bike, that's taking more static (slow speed) drops, extra travel is good to help ease the impact.

that said, joe kona made a great point in that, with the right rider aboard, even a hardtail can be competitive in up to expert-level racing.

cheers,
    mg
    Attached Images Attached Images