Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Don't hear much about the Taro yet...

Hey guys... I was browsing Kona's site and came across the new(ish) Taro. From what it sounds like, it's a Honzo but in Aluminum form and has slightly less quality components. However, the price difference is huge ($1899 to $1299 for the Taro).

Has anyone had a chance to check out this bike? I am curious about it. I am not too sure that 1x9 would be the way to go in my area with some of the climbs but would love to hear some real-life feedback/opinions on this bike. It's very close to having everything I would want in my next bike with an awesome price tag.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Local shop said they were bringing some in for the spring season, but not until March at the earliest. I might check it out, but am not interested in owning one since there's no provision for single speed.

mtbr member

Good to know... maybe half of the shops haven't seen that yet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    check out latest issue of bike magazine

mtbr member

Is their an online version?

mtbr member
    I looked quickly; I didn't find one. I wouldn't call a Bike Magazine review "real-life feedback/opinion" though, for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There is one at the not so LBS in the next county down from me. I took it for a "test ride", I was told stay out of the dirt. Seemed like a good ride. I know a lot of people in the NWestern part of the NW that ride a 1x9. I think it will do good with that price point.

mtbr member

As I posted in the other Taro thread that was bumped... my only concern with that bike is the 1x9. I am wondering how well I will be able to climb with it. I've never ridden a 2x9 or 1x9 setup (always had standard 27 speeds) so I don't know what it's like having or climbing with a 1x9 in the lowest gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    true-dat
    If i remember correctly, the bike I tested had a very large cog in the rear. Something like 36t.
    Our local hill requires us to ride up before we can ride down, having that x-large cog would help

mtbr member

Everything I ride requires me to go up a lotta hills before I can enjoy the ride down. I need to learn more about the rear cogs, I think. I don't understand what all of it means yet. The only thing I have to reference is gearing on a 3x9. If someone can give me an idea of how the lowest gearing on a 1x9 (Taro) compares to a regular 3x9 setup it may make more sense. Forgive my noobness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    well as I don't have ten posts yet I cannot post the link to the reviews of Taros older brother: the Honzo. The Honzo is also 1x9 and a steel frame. I don't know the weight of her. If i had to guess it would be just as if not heavier.
    In all of the reviews not one of the weakness' listed had anything to do with climbing, although climbing was mentioned elsewhere in the review. check it out.

mtbr member

Good call. I'll have to read about that one.

May contain nuts
    Just like the Honzo; a direct mount front mech should work with a Problem Solver adapter. I'm about to find out, having ordered one...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Just like the Honzo; a direct mount front mech should work with a Problem Solver adapter. I'm about to find out, having ordered one...
    That is awesome. The day I rode the Taro, I had a pocket full of cash, but ended up not going for the impulse buy. I really like steel frames and would have rather continued saving for the Honzo, which was parked right next to the Taro.

May contain nuts
    I'll be building it light-ish, so steel isn't real (necessary). Hopefully it works out to be fun commuter/winter ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got my Taro a couple weeks ago and have been out on it a few times since then. I can tell you that climbing hasn't been an issue. My buddy has a Salsa El Mariachi 2 and I can keep up with him no problem on any technical/ longish climbs. Your lowest gear in the 1x9 (32T chainring and 36T on the cassette) setup is essentially the same as the middle ring and lowest on the cassette on your normal 3x9 (32 and 36 again on on the Salsa for example). The only issue that I can see with the 1x9 setup is that if you ride a lot of fire roads or stuff that you usually use your big chainring on a 3x9 setup for, you might not like the gearing setup because you don't have the top end to really get going fast.

mtbr member
    Hey Matt - any idea what the complete bike weighs?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't have an exact figure... But it is pretty heavy. I got a medium and my lbs told me that it was just under 31 lbs when they built it up with the heavy platforms that came with the bike.

May contain nuts
    Medium weighs 12.7kg, no pedals. WTB wheelset weighs 2440g bare.

mtbr member

What do you Taro owners think of the Sektor fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm digging the Sektor so far. It's very responsive and with the solo air it's crazy easy to adjust the pressure. It has very smooth travel throughout and the rebound adjust is great too. Love the 20 mm axle as well. Is there anything specific that you were wondering about it?

mtbr member

Well for some reason (forgive me, I'm a noob), I thought the Sektor was coil vs. air. I must be wrong.

All of the other bikes I am considering (which are more $$) come with a Reba or Recon so I was wondering how it compares.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Both the Reba and the recon are more xc style forks. They will generally be a little lighter and less durable. They also have a shorter maximum travel (120mm for both). The Sektor is basically a cheaper version of the Revelation, and both of these forks are more trail oriented which means they have more travel (150mm max on the Sektor) and are generally a bit tougher. It does appear that rockshox makes a Sektor in a coil version but the one that comes on the Taro is the solo air turn key lockout model.

mtbr member

Interesting. Makes me want to look into the Honzo and the Taro a little more. I was set on something like a Specialized Carve or Trek Stache. Seems like those are more 'XC' than the Kona's I would be interested in.

How's climbing with the 1x9? That is my main concern. I am a bit worried that I'll be climbing too much for a 1x9.

May contain nuts
    Sektor TK29 Solo-Air is 120mm only (no spacers to remove, can't make it longer). It seems a nice fork all the same, and only weighs 1904g inc the 114g 20mm Maxle. I was surprised to see the air-piston is lube'd by grease and there is only a sniff of oil in the lowers (5-8ml of 30w according to manual). Probably means more regular service interval than the older Revelation/Pike/Lyriks used to require....

Trek Stache would be a nice ride.

Can't comment on the Taro stock gearing as I haven't really ridden it (waiting on bits). I will say the FSA/ISIS interference-fit crankset sucks balls, as the drive side was near impossible to remove (no anti-seize/grease used during assembly). Park tool stripped the extraction thread nicely - ended up having to use a 2-jaw gear puller, 12" spanner and a copper head hammer to get it off. Was almost at the 'fetch the grinder stage'...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast