Faller - Expert Class

Good job! Dirt Rag's new King Kikapu review

Just got this in the e-newsletter from Dirt Rag in case anyone was interested!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Nice review

I would be pleased with that review if I had one of those puppy's on order. Yours should be ready any day now right? I only have one fault with the article...it wasn't on the 05 Dawg Dee-Lux! Can't wait to get it man. Lot's of good things said about Kona though and that spills over to the other models.

Faller - Expert Class

Review

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    I would be pleased with that review if I had one of those puppy's on order. Yours should be ready any day now right? I only have one fault with the article...it wasn't on the 05 Dawg Dee-Lux! Can't wait to get it man. Lot's of good things said about Kona though and that spills over to the other models.
    I know what you mean! I just got lucky when I checked the Dirt Rag e-newsletter! I talked to the shop and they said that they should have the bike this week, and will begin working on building it. Then I called yesterday and told them to go ahead and order the Sram X0 front and rear derailleurs along with the X0 grip shifts, so they can be installed at the time of the build. I'm also going to drop off my Easton EC90 Monkeylite flat bar and Oury grips, and that they throw on the Race Face Deus XC stem too. I'm sure you'll love the Dawg Dee-Lux. That's definitely a sweet bike! I know I can't wait to get mine at all!

i heart singletrack

My '05 King Kikapu experience...

I've had my '05 King Kikapu for about 3 months now, and so far, it's been a very sweet bike. I bought the frame and built it up as I wanted it.

Even though the bike Dirt Rag tested was quite a bit smaller than mine (I ride a 19" frame), it worked for him pretty much as it works for me. Solid handling. Not sketchy or too quick. Rock solid main triangle, with that awesome forged BB/main pivot/bottom shock mount anchoring the whole frame together. That said, the rear end is not the most laterally stiff that I've ridden, but it doesn't detract from the solidity of the handling in any noticable way. It's more like the slight give a steel hardtail frame has when pushed hard in corners. Not bad, just a quality of the frame.

The Fox RP3 rear damper is incredible. For my 157lb weight, I'm running about 126lb in the air spring, rebound wide open (full fast), and propedal lever in the middle position (typically). This isn't the ultimate "plush" bike, but for what it is -- a cross country/racing bike, it's just about perfect. I completely trust it taking it into the backcountry too. The entire rear suspension can be disassembled with a 5 and 6mm allen wrench, and the main and rocker pivots are anchored with cartridge bearings -- nothing's gonna' blow that stuff up. At least so far I haven't, and it isn't for lack of trying! :-}

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Faller - Expert Class

Good job! Wow!

Man, can you make me drool any more? I'm hoping mine will arrive and be built by the weekend! We ended up doing the Sram X0 front and rear derailleurs, X0 grip shifts, Easton EC90 Monkelite flat carbon bar, and Oury grips at the time of the build.

I can't wait!!

Sweet bike you have there!