mtbr member
    Aug 2013

did you pay retail?

Wanted to know if anyone did pay retail for their new kona process.

Im looking to buy the 134dl and didnt know if I could get a deal by paying in cash.

Wanted to know if you paid less than retail and how you did it. Unless you are friends with the owner.... that doesnt help.

Thanks guys !

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I did pay retail, which was 3399 for the process 153. What the shop did offer me though was the tax, I did not pay for tax which was around 300 bucks.

As everything I guess there will always be some shops willing to settle for less than MSRP, I do want to point out that all the process are sold out (according to my bike shop) and mine will arrive at the end of March (hope so).

Since everyone wants these bikes, I can see bike shops not willing to go for less than msrp, but you never know.

hope it helps!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Tough to get a "current" model year Kona for much less then MSRP. I recently about a '13 Unit for 769 which was a good deal... but it was a straggler kinda deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yea, I know. There not sold out, I know that. But it's hard to get one without ordering one.
    there is one getting delivered in mass, (I live in tax free NH) so maybe I can be as lucky as you with no tax.
    I no it would be hard to pay for less, that's why I asked if anyone has done it.
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by ildottore46 View Post
    I did pay retail, which was 3399 for the process 153. What the shop did offer me though was the tax, I did not pay for tax which was around 300 bucks.

As everything I guess there will always be some shops willing to settle for less than MSRP, I do want to point out that all the process are sold out (according to my bike shop) and mine will arrive at the end of March (hope so).

Since everyone wants these bikes, I can see bike shops not willing to go for less than msrp, but you never know.

hope it helps!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cheers man! Hope you can get your hands on the bike as soon as possible. Let us know how it rides!

mtbr member
    my 134 was part of a half price sale that the lbs do a couple times a year. msrp in my neck of the woods is $5.4K... I got mine for $2.75K... If not for the sale I'd still be spinning my 29er HT

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    my 134 was part of a half price sale that the lbs do a couple times a year. msrp in my neck of the woods is $5.4K... I got mine for $2.75K... If not for the sale I'd still be spinning my 29er HT

You still payed $250 more than what Kona says it should be sold for.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    is in nzd currency, in my country $$ isn't worth the paper it's printed on they had a Satori for $3.9K (1/2 off remember) their dearest bike is a $10K Merida!! Trust me bikes are frickin expensive where I live. Rode an s-works camber at a demo day - msrp where I'm from $13K... $2.7K in comparison is a steal. Remember it's all relative

Last edited by targnik; 03-14-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bought my coiler at the police auction for $31. Not that it helps, just like to brag. Sometimes it makes me feel good about myself. I did spend $60 in spokes to rebuild the wheels and it will need new tubes before I really go out but I still think I'm ahead.

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by ildottore46
    I paid the same msrp + tax for my 153 in January. They claimed Kona wouldn't let them sell it for less. The shop had a sale a couple weeks ago where the same model was I think $400 (or $300) off for 3 days. I don't think I'd give back the last 5 months of riding for $400.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My shop is doing 10% off

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think it has to do with time of year when you're shopping. If you buy the new year product when it comes available in Nov or Dec you'll be able to get a little movement on the price, but buying in April, May or June and your are looking at full MSRP because they aren't able to replace it in the heat of the season. Honestly you're probably lucky to just get one. Just a thought...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I didn't pay retail... but I also purchased my 2012 Kona Unit midway through the 2013 season so the shop wanted to clear it out. It was a brand new bike with just test rides on it. If you didn't know what the Unit looked like for each year you would easily think it was a new bike. My price was $739.00 + tax. I think it retailed for $999.99. So $260 off what I believe was the original retail price. Sure it was a year old but I'll take the savings every time, especially when the the bike is new.

rjx
    mtbr member
    I can get a 2014 Unit for $950 (about 9.5% off MSRP) + Tax. MSRP is $1050. Might even be able to shed another $25+ since I'd pay with cash.

I called two other local shops and one was full MRSP and the other was $1000. So $950 is the lowest I can find. And it's not in stock, he'd need to order it.

One piece of info the guy told me while he was checking the computer was that Kona has a lot of Units available in all sizes. Might I have more bargaining power since there are a lot of Units that need to be sold? I can't really wait much longer to buy my next bike since I'm without a bike and I want to ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    rjx,

Keep in mind that the Kona Unit went up $50 MSRP for the 2014 model so even at $950 you're still getting it for $100 cheaper than MSRP.

I think it's still too early into the season for you to get any major discounts on 2014 bikes. If you are looking for more of a discount you're going to have to wait until the fall/winter sales, maybe even into early next year... but then you're taking that chance of no 2014 Units available.

If it were me I would jump on that $950 price and enjoy the ride for the summer and the rest of the year. That to me would be worth the extra bit of cash you may save at a later date, if you're even able to find one at a better sale.

mtbr member
    Got my 153 in April at 15% off due to a kind shop owner and misprinted 20% off coupon...Was going to go santa cruz but I couldn't beat this deal...and I really like this bike.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAK View Post
    rjx,

Keep in mind that the Kona Unit went up $50 MSRP for the 2014 model so even at $950 you're still getting it for $100 cheaper than MSRP.
    Today I went and ordered the 2014 Unit and they gave it to me for $899 + tax. They said I should have it by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Today I went and ordered the 2014 Unit and they gave it to me for $899 + tax. They said I should have it by the weekend.

Awesome. This time of year I think that's about as fair a price as you can expect from a bike shop for a '14 Unit. Good score. Now you have all summer to ride it. Can't beat that.