Nice no rass

Dawg's NBT's suck for a front tire?

Is it just me or do these Nokian NBT's blow for a front tire? The back is pretty decent, good traction, but the front it washing out easily and slips on any kind of off cambered rocks in rock gardens. Never really had this happen on my HT with any kind of tire.

Any Dawg owners found a better front tire? What size? I ride in SW PA and have noticed my biggest slippage on rocky trails, even when dry.

mtbr member

Conti

Curently on Conti Gravity .fine for the summer then conti vertical for the winter.

Are you on the NBX 2.35 or the NBT 2.1 ? is the fork pressure right ? not being critical just asking but it can make a huge difference in tyre performance.

Nice no rass
    I'm on the NBT 2.3, the stock 06 tires. The fork seems to be right, it feels great, the rebound is set where it slams perfectly through rock gardens, but doesn't come back too fast and doesn't bottom out and stay there. On off camber rocks, it tends to wash out though. The only falls I've taken on this bike so far are from washing out on rocks...something I never did on the same trails on my HT since the front tire never lost contact with the rock. The front doesn't wash out or tuck under on smooth singletrack, only when I need it to grip on a rock, so I really don't think it's fork setup issue.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Play with the tire pressures. You may need to go lower.

The NBT is made in Taiwan rather than Finland so it may use a different rubber compound than the NBX it shares the tread design with. May not be as grippy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I have an '06 Dawg and a few months ago changed the tires to the Continental Vertical 2.3 UST and used Stan's No Tubes kit. It is great and the tires really hook up well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I still am running the stock NBT's on my Dawg. I was expreiencing the sale thing with the washouts as you. I dropped tire pressure in front to 30-35psi and no real problems. I am riding in S Florida, rooty and rocky with just enough sand to make it fun.

forest lurker
    Jun 2006
    I'm riding in northern California with lots of deep dusty dirt, some very rocky sections, occasional snow and muddy creek crossings. Also some very gravelly/volcanic singletrack. I've replaced my '05 Dawg Primo original Nokian front tire with a WTB Timberwolf 2.3. It slows me down a little but makes for an incredibly stable front end. Sometimes I have to pay attention to keeping a little more weight and commitment on the front wheel so that it doesn't drift in our often deep & loose soils, but as long as I weight it it sticks very well, holds a tight line. And always clears its tread well.

So it goes.....
    The stock Nokian tires are crappy for Northern California...especially the front. They wash out real easily and are both dogs on the front and rear. I have a 2005 Dawg Dee-Lux and ride typical Northern California conditions. I recommend a WTB Weirwolf race 2.3 in the front and something else in the back. I use a 2.1 Velociraptor in the rear and love it. I am sure for your east coast conditions you can find much better tires than those Nokians that came stock on the bike.

Those Nokians are now sitting in the garage ready for when my daughter wears out the tires from all the road riding she does on her mountain bike. At least they will be of some use

OD
    It's the search....not the find

mtbr member

It was the first upgrade.

The NBT tires didtn't hook especialy up front. swiched them with a Panaracer xcfire, and a wtb weirwolf .
    benny l

I <3 29ers
    Hey guys!

Wondering if someone might do a new-found Nokian lover a favour and post a few pics of this tire please? The Gazza site doesn't list anything on them and the only thing I have to work with is a crappy magazine ad.

I'll take whatever I get - profile, front, 3/4 shot ..... anyone?

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Hey guys!

Wondering if someone might do a new-found Nokian lover a favour and post a few pics of this tire please? The Gazza site doesn't list anything on them and the only thing I have to work with is a crappy magazine ad.

PATIA!
    Here ya go...
    My Dawg D is what it should be

Back tire is now specialized enduro pro since I wore out the Nokian.

I was washing out a lot with the front tire...until I learned how to keep the head up, elbows out, and weight the outside pedal.
    Still not convinced they are the best front tire...but I'm a cheap bastard.

This is my current setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

gbnemba.org
    What's with the electrical tape?

-C

p.s. I'm running Kenda Nevegal StickE 2.35 on front, very nice. I feel I can trust it more than the Conti Vertical that was on there, although that was also a good tire.

mtbr member

The Nokian NBT

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Hey guys!

PATIA!
    there you go...
    special delivery
    Attached Images Attached Images

I <3 29ers
    Holy BIG!

Excellent pics - THANKS guys!

Interesting looking tire. Hmmmmm.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.