mtbr member

New question here. Dawgs - do you have this problem too?

I have a 2003 Dawg Dee-Lux. The rocker plate is so close to the shock that I can't attach my shock pump to the Shrader valve on the shock. Anybody else have this problem? Would some shock pumps have a smaller valve-thing? I use a Fox HP shock pump. I am considering something whacky like turning the shock upside down... haven't thought that one through yet. But this is sure a pain on an otherwise awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I had the same problem

I had the same deal with my '03 Dawg Dee Lux. Originally I turned the shock around so that I could hook the pump up to it but then the damn rebound adjustment was tucked away. I then decided to turn the shock upside down and swap the top and bottom spacers. Now I can get to the valve and the rebound adjustment just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    '03 Dawg Dee-lux here too, but I haven't had that problem. I'm using a no-name/generic chrome colored shock pump. The nozzle is a bit close, but it fits fine. It's an 18" Dawg, if that makes any diff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. My 05 looks like there is clearance

The rocker plate on my 05 has a circular notch by the valve. I don't have a pump (yet) but plan on getting one. The dealer set the pressure for me and never mentioned any interference. Does the 03 have the notch like described? That may have been the fix.

mtbr member

That sounds like the fix!

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    The rocker plate on my 05 has a circular notch by the valve. I don't have a pump (yet) but plan on getting one. The dealer set the pressure for me and never mentioned any interference. Does the 03 have the notch like described? That may have been the fix.
    I think yer on to something there... the '03 does not have the notch. Glad they fixed it.... I guess the '05 rockers are a redesign (5" of travel on the '05 Dawgs vs. 4" for previous models).

mtbr member

Works for me

Quote Originally Posted by KonaHeriot
    I had the same deal with my '03 Dawg Dee Lux. Originally I turned the shock around so that I could hook the pump up to it but then the damn rebound adjustment was tucked away. I then decided to turn the shock upside down and swap the top and bottom spacers. Now I can get to the valve and the rebound adjustment just fine.
    I will try that. Glad you figured out the spacer thing. I guess the Fox Float works "updside down" just as well.

rmb
    mtbr member
    I have an 04 Dawg Dee Lux, and I use a wrench force pump. It has a long sleeve that does not interfere with the rocker. My LBS recommended it.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I have a 03' Dawg and have no problem getting by pump to the valve. I find getting my fingers around the cap to loosen it is harder........

In the Kitchen
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    I have a 03' Dawg and have no problem getting by pump to the valve. I find getting my fingers around the cap to loosen it is harder........
    Ditto!
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i have an 05 dawg deeluxe and the first pump i bought the head was too big to attach (i think it was an avenir) so i returned it for a pump with a smaller screw attachment and it works fine (a buzzys pollinator). if i needed to check the air every time i rode it would be pretty annoying cause there isnt a ton of room!

banned
    Mar 2004
    Here is your answer. I have an '04 King Kikapu that "had" the same problem. I've been an auto mechanic for 18 years so I used that knowledge to fix my problem. Go to the auto parts store, NAPA, Autozone, Advance, etc. and get a 1 1/2 inch long, Chrome valve stem extension. Clean the threads on the shock with solvent. Put a drop of red lock-tight on the threads of the extension and thread it on to the shock. With a small wrench, snug it down, not to tight!, and you're ready to go. You may have to use a short metal valve cap and make sure it has the seal inside of it. This makes it soooo much easier to air up the shock. Let me know how it works for ya.

Later...

The Cycle Path

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Try sitting on the bike when taking the pump on and off. When i moved the shock to the second hole (the one closer to the rear tire) i had this problem, but when i sat on the bike it moved the rocker down so i could easily take off shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When i changed shock position on bike to the one closer to rear wheel i had that problem to. my solution was to sit on the bike while adding air to shock. this pushes the rocker down and let's me unscrew my pump. try that out and tell me if it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    I have a 2003 Dawg Dee-Lux. The rocker plate is so close to the shock that I can't attach my shock pump to the Shrader valve on the shock. Anybody else have this problem? Would some shock pumps have a smaller valve-thing? I use a Fox HP shock pump. I am considering something whacky like turning the shock upside down... haven't thought that one through yet. But this is sure a pain on an otherwise awesome bike.