mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dawg shock bolt broke

The bolt on the upper shock mount of my '03 Dawg snapped yesterday. I guess this isn't an unheard of problem. Anyway, the bike is in the shop and should be ready in a couple days.

What I'm wondering is how to avoid this. The bolt let go when I went I attempted to bunnyhop a rather large rut. The back wheel caught the edge, but it definitely wasn't that hard of a hit. I have to think that the bolt was aleady cracked, or bent, or otherwise ready to fail.

Should I replace the bolt every year as preventive maintainence or something?

I post too much.
    I'd be bound to say yes, but I have never owned a dual suspension bike so..
    Last edited by snaky69; 03-08-2005 at 07:24 PM.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I noticed that the bolt on my '03 Dawg was bent a few weeks ago. I didn't really think anything of it, but your post kinda makes me worry. I'm really surprised that that big of a bolt would break, but I suppose the Dawg's were only meant for so much abuse.

What happened after it broke, did it mess up the bushings and the shock mount, or did it shear off the bolt outside of the bushings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The bolt snapped off right where it goes through the shock. In fact, the suspension was still functional, since both halves of the bolt were still going through the shock (they just weren't connected). Basically, I heard a weird noise, which I attributed to my derailler hitting a rock. Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary until I stopped at the bottom of the run. I lifted the bike up to check it out, and when I put it down I heard and felt a "clunk."

At first I thought the bolt was just bent, but then I tried to turn it with an allen wrench, and sure enough, it was broken.

Don't know about damage to anything else, since I haven't had it apart...I'm letting the bike shop handle that.

I'd have yours looked at, since I've seen others on this board who have posted about breaking this part.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Wow, that's cool that you could still ride it after the bolt broke. I think I'm gonna check out some hardware suppliers to see if I would be able to get a replacement bolt for my bike. I haven't looked around yet, but I can imagine that it will take some digging to find the correct bolt. I'm also thinking that maybe a hardended steel type bolt would hold up better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Got the bike back today. No additional damage.

Just roll it......

Not a bad idea to keep an extra bolt (top and bottom) in your camelback.

I just broke my bottom shock bolt on Saturday going to flat off a wall ride. A buddy had a random spare bolt in his camelback and we were able to jerry rig it well enough so I could ride everything on the way down. I was lucky because I was at the top of a very fun trail and would've been so p!ssed if I had to walk most of it. Lesson learned, I'm putting an extra top and bottom bolt in my camelback.

Anyway, I guess my perspective is that I'd rather have a $2 bolt break than my shock or my frame breaking. BTW, I just go to a screw/bolt place to get them vs. paying the shop too much for a replacement.

EB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Lesson learned, I'm putting an extra top and bottom bolt in my camelback.

EB
    I thought about this, but I don't think I would have been able to replace the broken bolt on the trail. How would you remove the threaded part?

Just roll it......

Ahh good point. Here were my thoughts on that.

If it breaks in the middle (meaning it may be sticking out of the side it's threaded into), you should be able to turn it out with some pliers. I have a leatherman with needle nose pliers in my camelback for said operation.

The question of how do you get to the bolt is probably more what you're asking though. Depending on where the bolt is broken, you may be able to just remove the shock to get at it, but that may be unlikely. You'd probably need to remove the other rocker arm and pull the shock off that way so you could get to the bolt. Then, use your pliers and turn it out.

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I changed mine at 6 months. Have a spare in my pack.

Changing it out once or even three times a year shouldn't be more than $6, and is peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    I changed mine at 6 months. Have a spare in my pack.

Changing it out once or even three times a year shouldn't be more than $6, and is peace of mind.
    Where'd you get the bolts?

Just roll it......

I'm in Seattle...

....so there's a place near my house called Tacoma Screw and that's where I get them. I'm just sure to let them know what the application is for as there are certain grades that work better for the type of load, etc. For instance, I heard that Grade 8 screws don't work well for these....but I have zero idea what that means.

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Local hardware store...something around $1.63 each.
    The metric bolts are 12.6 hardness or the like (too lazy to go look).

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I tried to put a link in for ya but I couldn't make it happen but if you go to search and look under; shock-bolt-broken. It might help ya.
    As I had the same problem but when I got the DH kit for the shock bolt now I don't. Between both the bolt and steel shaft going through.......no problem now.
    Around a $35.00 cdn.
    My 2cents....
    D

rob
    slakDawg
    Samething happened to me last year, here's a link to my post:

Dawg top shock mount bolt broke...

Deelux Becoming Supreme
    Apr 2005
    Same thing happened to my 01 stinky dee-lux, except mine broke in the middle and the threaded part was left and it bent my rocker plate. $350 later i had my bike back together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I would be careful what grade bolt you use

Guys,
    A bolt that shears as easy as this sounds me be designed to do so. The alternative could be a destroyed frame, shock, etc. In many applications outside of bikes the term is a shear bolt. Essentially a low grade bolt meant to be the breaking point instead of much more expensive parts. This is the case in some of my tractor implements. Yeah it is a PITA at times but better than trashing the equipment. I have to believe that somewhere along the line the bike was bottomed hard or repeatedly and finally let go on a seemingly little hit. I would email Kona technical and see what the deal is. If nothing else they should know owners are running into this. It is also possible they were delivered a bad batch of bolts that don't meet spec. I have a new Dawg on the way and believe me I want to know what is at the root of this one.

Deelux Becoming Supreme
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Guys,
    A bolt that shears as easy as this sounds me be designed to do so. The alternative could be a destroyed frame, shock, etc. In many applications outside of bikes the term is a shear bolt. Essentially a low grade bolt meant to be the breaking point instead of much more expensive parts. This is the case in some of my tractor implements. Yeah it is a PITA at times but better than trashing the equipment. I have to believe that somewhere along the line the bike was bottomed hard or repeatedly and finally let go on a seemingly little hit. I would email Kona technical and see what the deal is. If nothing else they should know owners are running into this. It is also possible they were delivered a bad batch of bolts that don't meet spec. I have a new Dawg on the way and believe me I want to know what is at the root of this one.
    I know exactly what your talkin about. What I don't get is do other bikes have "shear bolts" that break all the time. (I mean alot I could bend one every ride if I I'm not smooth) I know why my bolt broke, I'm heavy and I need a bigger bike and I bottom all the time. I have heard of guys with konas that have the proper spring rate and are using the bike for what it was designed and still breaking that bolt. I just don't think that it was designed strong enough. Another thing that bugs me is why does the tire rub the seat tube when it bottoms, shouldn't the shock bottom first? Maybe I should grab a grade 8 bolt and shove it in there! (I know its a bad idea)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the 12.9 (correcting my post above) metric bolt is actually eaqual to, or stronger than a U.S. grade 8 hardness.

Stinky-Supreme...From your name, I am going to guess you are not talking about a Dawg on the bottoming and the tire touching the frame?
    Personally have not had that happen on bottoming the travel.

Deelux Becoming Supreme
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    I think the 12.9 (correcting my post above) metric bolt is actually eaqual to, or stronger than a U.S. grade 8 hardness.

Stinky-Supreme...From your name, I am going to guess you are not talking about a Dawg on the bottoming and the tire touching the frame?
    Personally have not had that happen on bottoming the travel.
    Nah, I'm talkin about my 01 stinky d