mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dawg: Play in upper shock bolt

It's been about a month since I broke the upper shock bolt on my '03 Dawg, and I've just noticed a bit of play in the same spot. It's a tiny amount...you can't actually see it, but you can just feel the bolt move a tiny bit when you pick up the bike or pull upward on the rocker arm.

The bolt is tight, so I'm assuming its a bushing or something in shock's eye hole? So, is it okay to ride it like this? I plan on sending me shock (Fox Float) into PUSH to have it rebuilt, so if it s no big deal, I can just wait until I'm ready to do that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

If it were me...

I would tear it down immediately and try to determine what the root cause was. Loose fitting parts banging against each other only get worse and now is the time to sort it out. Hard to believe the bolt would be worn especially when it sounds like you just replaced it recently. I would still inspect the bolt for visible signs of wear but it could very well be the upper shock bushing or as they refer to in the manual, "the reducer". If everything checks out ok I would put it back together and ride with the problem in mind until you are ready to send the unit in for repair. Good luck.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Just roll it......

DU Bushings.

Warthog,

I'm gonna take an educated guess and say that your DU Bushings are played. I had something similar recently and it totally took care of everything. You can order these cheap through CTS MB http://www.ctsmtb.com or directly from Fox. They're about $2 per from CTS and about $5 per from Fox.

One thing. You really need a proper tool to remove/install these. Yes, you can hammer them out using a socket or something similar (that's what my buddies do), but you could also mess up the shock body if you don't do it right. If you've got a reliable shop in your area, I'd have them do it. They really shouldn't charge you more than....say, $10 for the effort since it only takes 5 minutes to do it with the right tools.

CTS sells a tool to remove DU Bushings ($30) that works really great, but unless you plan to do this a bunch, then I'd just buy the DU Bushings and take your shock into a shop to have them remove the old ones and put the new ones in. We've got 4 full suspension bikes in the family so it was a worthwhile investment for me to buy the tool.

Cheers,
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    It is not that hard to replace the DU bushings, once you figure it out......
    Ditto....... what Leo and Eb have said.
    Depending when you send your shock to Push, I would get new Bushings. If your sending your shock right now to Push then don't worry about it. They replaced mine when I had it done. I really like my Pushed Vanilla RC!!! Definately worth the money IMHO.

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    It is not that hard to replace the DU bushings, once you figure it out......
    Ditto....... what Leo and Eb have said.
    Depending when you send your shock to Push, I would get new Bushings. If your sending your shock right now to Push then don't worry about it. They replaced mine when I had it done. I really like my Pushed Vanilla RC!!! Definately worth the money IMHO.

Good luck!!!
    Cool, so Push replaced them for you? I think I just might do that. Rode today, and the play was gone when the ride was over. Not sure what that means. I won't wait too long, though.

Just roll it......

As DP said....

If you plan to send your shock to push anyway, I'd just let them know your DU Bushings are played. I'm 99% certain they'd replace them regardless, but it can't hurt, eh?

EB

Not to threadjack here, but DP, when are we gonna hook up for a ride in Canada? Also, it looks like I've got a week in central BC mostly planned. Kelowna, Kamloops and either Penticton or we may venture out to Rossland. The Chilcotin weekend is taking place in July for us. Can't wait!!