mtbr member
    Jun 2005

The Dawg and the heavy rider

Do you think that the dawg can carry a 300 pound rider?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwekekek
    Depends on the type of riding but out of curiosity why not just get a Coiler? The base model coiler still has only 5" I believe like the new Dawg but with a beffier tube set and parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the reply

I'm going to use it for trail riding. I don't do drops. The reason why i'm looking at the dawg because the place where I ride has a lot of killer climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I jst got an 05 Dawg and I'm obsessed with it. Very plush, but not too heavy (about 31.5 lbs). The frame construction seems very beefy, which is pretty typical of Konas. If I were you I would summon Joe Kona about your specific weight and the strength of the bike. My guess would be that without alot of major drops, you'd be perfectly fine on a Dawg.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by bwekekek
    Specially being a heavier rider. So here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
    1.) Air Shocks - I have a 03' Dawg Primo and I weight around 240# with gear. It is a great bike for climbing and pretty good for the downhill. I sold my front air shock because it was just to light for me and went with a oil/coil front shock. The rear air shock I still have but I am thinking of replacing it with a coil shock. IMHO air shocks don't work quite as well for the heavier biker.

2.) Look at the rims. Go to light and your going to have to much flex and have nothing but problems.

3.) Being a heavier rider you should be riding a bike that can handle your weight even if you don't do drop offs because you will...............If you start to enjoy riding and get better at riding you will do small drop offs even if they are only 1 foot. Even though a heavier frame is harder to ride up hill you will love your heavier frame when you start to point the bike downhill. I have another bike a Turner RFX and this bike is amazing and it handles wonderfully. It is a solid well built bike that handles my weight in a variety of situations from XC to Whistler rides.

I agree with Punk and consider the Coiler because of the beefier components, coil shocks and I think the frame is also a bit beefier.

Have you test rode a Dawg vs Coiler??????

Just my .02 cents

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Heavy riders don't worry about an extra pound or two with the bike since we're already packing enough extra weight.

I have a 03 Dawg primo and love it. I did change the riser handlebar to a flat bar and my climbing has improved dramatically. I'm no lightweight rider weighing in at 250lb. I ride Whistler and all the Xc country trails around here with it. I'm not doing huge drops with it though...just whatever comes along the trails.

Eventually though of course the front shocks need to be rebuilt, as well as the rear shock. These are just regular maintainance items along with every other bike part.

i heart singletrack

My $.02

I'd take a hard look at the coiler. The bike weight issue is a small one compared to the durability you'll want/need when you're in the backcountry. Coil springs in particular would be a sage investment for a guy your size.

Plus, having ridden both bikes, I like the handling of the coiler better anyway...

Good luck!
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images