mtbr member

Dawg frame: '08 vs '07

I want to get a FS bike for AM and aggresive trail riding. I think the Kona Dawg fits the bill pretty well. I noticed that the frame material has changed from "Kona Clump Light 7005 Butted Aluminum" in 2007 to "Kona Race Light Scandium Butted" in 2008. Did this change result in a decrease in the Dawg frame strength in order to reduce weight?

I currently ride an '05 Shred and know that the 7005 aluminum is pretty much bomb proof.... so how tough are these new Dawg frames?

Also, is it worth it to wait for the '09's or would you go for an '08 or even '07 if you could get a deal on it.

Thanks for the help.

Black Lion
    I had an 07 and now an 08 Dawg, the stiffness and strength is the same. The reduction in weight was very minimal.The standover on the 08 models is the major plus.

I would say get an 08 or wait for an 09.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i also own a 08 dawg the frame is very durable, but i would look into getting a new set of rims for it! the fsa xc300 are nice rims but with 24 hole there are more aimed for xc.
    but i loved my dawg wouldnt give it up for the world.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i have on 07 dawg, love it. hell, just yesterday i went over the cliff at downieville on first divide and all that happened to the bike was two chain links got twisted, and the seat tore a little. i was at the bottom of this.. to me that's bombproof and tested.

(oh, and in some miracle i was able to walk away myself)

Members who have read this thread: 0