mtbr member
    May 2005

Dawg or Dawg deelux ?

I am riding for a few months and want to upgrade to a full suspension.
    I do mainly technical singletracking and XC (to reach the singles ...).
    I wonder if the extra $$$ for the deelux do worth it ?
    I believe the deelux are lighter ?
    What about the fork and shocks ?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wink There are some worth while differences

I was in your position early this spring and I decided to go with the Dee-Lux. Main reason was I wanted the better componentry and upgrading later is the expensive way to do it by far. That and the re-sale is never as good for a lesser model with upgrades that match the higher model IMO anyway. The suspensions are different. The standard Dawg uses a Float R shock and the Dee-Lux uses the Float RP3. This gives you a little lever in front of the rebound adjustment that is used for the "ProPedal" adjustment. It has 3 positions for setting the amount the shock is "active" from a plush or more active setting to the full propedal position that locks out the shock more. The shock still works it just takes more of a hit to induce the initial travel. This reduces pedal bob greatly.

Upfront is a bigger difference between the two. The Dawg uses the Marzocchi 120mm fork and the Dee-Lux uses the Fox Float R 130mm. The Marzocchi gets decent reviews but the Fox has gotten raving reviews and is probably the single largest contributer in the lighter weight between the two models. My Dee-Lux with Legg Beaters weighs in at 30 lbs. The standard Dawg is a couple pounds heavier I believe.

Both bikes use XT RD but the Dee-Lux has a LX FD and shifters. Again a bit of an upgrade. The Dee-Lux also has a better rim and crankset. Add it all up and you have far more than the $500 difference in upgrades and it's lighter too. All that and the silver blue color and graphics are ultra-cool.

Either way though your getting a top notch frame set and a better bike than most out there so you really can't go wrong with either. Good luck and hope to see pics of it soon.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

get it if you can...

I'm gonna get a regular dawg pretty soon, but only 'cause I can't afford the DL. If you can swing the price, the DL has a lot of upgrades considering the amount of extra money you're spending...get it if you can. Or, if it doesn't make too much of a difference to you, go for the Dawg and spend the extra dough you're saving on other gear or to fund trips to the trailhead.

Eli